Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Urology question -- Flomax & Avodart

Are these drugs (used to treat enlarged prostrate) typically taken for the remainder of one's life, or is one usually able to stop taking them once the prostrate has reduced in size?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Charter Member
Tamsulosin (Flomax) is an Alpha-1 blocker, and it works by way of relaxing the smooth muscle in the prostrate that constrict the urethra, allowing urine to flow more easilly. It does not actually reduce the size of the prostrate. If you stop taking the medication, its effects will wear off quickly (within a week).

Dutasteride (Avodart) is a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, which blocks the conversion of testosterone to 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone, which is partly responcible for the enlargement of the prostrate, and will actually help to shrink the prostrate. The effects of this take a little longer to be noticeble, but if you stop taking it, the prostrate will return to its original size. It takes about 2-3 months to get full effect, and would take another 2-3 months to go back to its original size.

So, to answer your question, yes, these drugs are normally taken for the rest of a person's life.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Charter Member
Also, because of the risk of birth defects, people taking Avodart should not donate blood. That would extend as long as you're on the drug.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Answered well, thank you.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Charter Member
And, guys, it's spelled prostate (not "prostrate", which may be how you feel after it's massaged, I admit )
Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
And, guys, it's spelled prostate (not "prostrate", which may be how you feel after it's massaged, I admit )
Crap, I knew that and still managed to get mixed up.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Recently Tamsulosin hydrochloride, generic Flomax became available. My price dropped about 90%.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeslogin View Post
Recently Tamsulosin hydrochloride, generic Flomax became available. My price dropped about 90%.
I've been taking the generic flowmax for more then 2 weeks and haven't noticed any difference. If it remains this way after the rest of the pills are gone (30 days worth) then I'm notnwasting anymore money on it. What little I read online said it should have started working within 5 days.

I'll be back to the doctor after 30 days requesting something else.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 PM
I know you didn't ask this, but . . . I've been taking this for about 15 years, and the problem hasn't recurred.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Cajun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeslogin View Post
I've been taking the generic flowmax for more then 2 weeks and haven't noticed any difference. If it remains this way after the rest of the pills are gone (30 days worth) then I'm notnwasting anymore money on it. What little I read online said it should have started working within 5 days.

You may want to also consider Uroxatral, if the Flomax doesn't kick in.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Charter Member
Well you can stop after you've had prostate cancer surgery, but I don't suppose that's what you were thinking of.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I know you didn't ask this, but . . . I've been taking this for about 15 years, and the problem hasn't recurred.

According to your link, the active ingredient in this is Saw Palmetto. As a pharmacist-to-be (in 268 days, not that I'm counting), you would expect me to say nothing but bad things about a herbal medication.... But, Saw Palmetto has actually been proven to help with BPH. The active ingredient in it actually acts as a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, the same as Avodart. However, it isn't as potent as the prescription medications that do the same thing.

Now, what does that mean? It means it does the same thing as Avodart, but not quite as well... It also has many drug-drug interactions, so make sure your pharmacist and doctor know that you are taking it (along with any other herbal medications). It does work, but if you have severe BPH, you would need something stronger, like Avodart, or Proscar (finesteride). Oh, and just a warning... If you are taking Warfarin (or any other blood thinner), do not take Saw Palmetto! (there are other interactions, but that's the main one that might kill you)
Old 09-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post

According to your link, the active ingredient in this is Saw Palmetto. As a pharmacist-to-be (in 268 days, not that I'm counting), you would expect me to say nothing but bad things about a herbal medication.... But, Saw Palmetto has actually been proven to help with BPH. The active ingredient in it actually acts as a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, the same as Avodart. However, it isn't as potent as the prescription medications that do the same thing.

Now, what does that mean? It means it does the same thing as Avodart, but not quite as well... It also has many drug-drug interactions, so make sure your pharmacist and doctor know that you are taking it (along with any other herbal medications). It does work, but if you have severe BPH, you would need something stronger, like Avodart, or Proscar (finesteride). Oh, and just a warning... If you are taking Warfarin (or any other blood thinner), do not take Saw Palmetto! (there are other interactions, but that's the main one that might kill you)
You meant, I'm sure, to say that saw palmetto acts as tamsulosin (Flomax), not Avodart. (It acts through the same pathways as tamsulosin.) Neither tamsulosin nor saw palmetto, however, is effective for everybody. I don't have any cites now, but I've read that in the past, and I, for one, was one of those that did not receive benefits from either one. Years ago, my urologist prescribed Flomax. After doing some reading, I asked him if I could switch to saw palmetto. He had no objections. After surgery for a ripped Achilles' tendon, I was not able to urinate at all, and was actually discharged from the hospital in that condition. An anesthesiologist told me later that this is a common occurrence after surgery due to the pain drugs used during the anesthesia. Anyway, I had laser surgery for my BPH, and no longer take any medication.

So, you do have the option to have laser surgery. You don't have to have cancer first. However, I don't think anybody would recommend surgery when it is not necessary. You might want to discuss that with your doctor.

Last edited by barbitu8; 09-30-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Close a parenthetical sentence.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbitu8 View Post
You meant, I'm sure, to say that saw palmetto acts as tamsulosin (Flomax), not Avodart. (It acts through the same pathways as tamsulosin.) Neither tamsulosin nor saw palmetto, however, is effective for everybody.
No, I meant to say Avodart. Saw palmetto works as a 5-alpha reductase inhibitor, inhibiting the conversion of testosterone to 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone. Tamsulosin works as an alpha-blocker (see post #2).

Cite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micromedex
Several pharmacological activities have been documented for saw palmetto in vitro and in vivo (animals). Several of these properties, such as inhibition of 5-alpha-reductase activity, inhibition of androgen binding and spasmolytic activity, are thought to explain, at least in part, the effects of saw palmetto in BPH.
I will agree though that pharmacological treatment doesn't work for everyone with BPH, every body is different.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirka T'Bawa View Post

Well said. However you forgot to mention that when the doctor wants a follow up PSA, the client should stop taking Saw Palmetto for a week or so before the test, as it can cause a falsely low reading. (Or so we're taught in nursing school.)

Do you have to stop taking Avodart for the same reason, since it works the same way? That was NOT mentioned. Which makes me suspect that, like so many of the herb warnings we're supposed to give, it may be entirely theoretical in nature, not evidence based.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:

<snip> (or <lase>)

So, you do have the option to have laser surgery. You don't have to have cancer first. However, I don't think anybody would recommend surgery when it is not necessary. You might want to discuss that with your doctor.
So, would laser surgery be "necessary" if I just wanted to stop taking finasteride AND tamsulosin ( now generic) AND saw palmetto after 15 years of them? How long before I might need them again after getting lased?

Last edited by Colibri; 10-01-2010 at 01:27 AM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 AM
I had a kidney stone and to help it pass, the doc put me on tamsulosin. It gave me another damned drug allergy. My blood pressure dropped to 75/40, I was loopy with dizziness, looked like death warmed over and felt like hell. (Luckily I come from a long line of healthy prostates and won't need such a med when I'm a bit older.)
Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggerhaus View Post
I had a kidney stone and to help it pass, the doc put me on tamsulosin. It gave me another damned drug allergy. My blood pressure dropped to 75/40, I was loopy with dizziness, looked like death warmed over and felt like hell. (Luckily I come from a long line of healthy prostates and won't need such a med when I'm a bit older.)
Tamsulosin (Flomax) has a cross reaction to Sulfa drugs. Are you allergic to other sulfa based drugs? (Bactrim, Septra, Sulfonurea's [used for Diabetes], among others)
Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
Quote:

<snip> (or <lase>)

So, would laser surgery be "necessary" if I just wanted to stop taking finasteride AND tamsulosin ( now generic) AND saw palmetto after 15 years of them? How long before I might need them again after getting lased?
I believe that you should be taking one but not more than one. Flomax or saw palmetto. Not both. You'd have to talk to your urologist about the laser surgery. It is a simple in-office (no hospitalization necessary) procedure. I had to use a Foley catheter for a while afterwards, but I needed one before the operation.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post

I believe that you should be taking one but not more than one. Flomax or saw palmetto. Not both. You'd have to talk to your urologist about the laser surgery. It is a simple in-office (no hospitalization necessary) procedure. I had to use a Foley catheter for a while afterwards, but I needed one before the operation.
I've been taking all my meds and herbals with me to m.d. (g.p.) every trip and he has never so advised. My annual physical in this month so I will check on that and maybe go for the green monster.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
A doctor won't suggest surgery if an impairment can be treated conservatively. A gp cannot do the laser surgery. A gp is not able to do any surgery. You should ask him or her for a referral to an urologist who can.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:32 AM
I thank you for the effort being shown. A useful article..
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA Cajun View Post

hang in there. I didn't notice any change for at least a couple of weeks. Actually, after several weeks I said heck with it and stopped taking Flomax. Within a week I learned my lesson! You might not notice it when you are taking it, but I certainly noticed it when I stopped. Went right back to the pill and noticed relief in less than a week.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
A doctor won't suggest surgery if an impairment can be treated conservatively. A gp cannot do the laser surgery. A gp is not able to do any surgery. You should ask him or her for a referral to an urologist who can.
Lots of GPs do surgery. I'm an FP and have done major surgery, and continue to do minor stuff.

But the basic assumption that a GP wouldn't do prostate surgery is correct.

And yes, I know this is a semi-zombie thread, but what the heck....
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Can one have a very low PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen blood test 1.4) and still have an enlarged prostate? That's Benign Prostate Hyperplasia, right? .

My doctor wants to put me on one of those zosin drugs (forgot which one) and then check my prostate if I'm still having low flow problems.

I was in the medical field long enough to know that means ramming the fist up the poop chute. I have had this done before and it's damn embarassing when they pull out because it always feels like you're taking a shit, and you wanna apologize to the doc.

Well, speaking of taking a shit, I am wondering if my prostate is so big, it feels like I'm not having a "complete" BM when I shit?

I have had an enlarged prostate all my adult life, I reckon, to the point where one doctor asked me was I doing my "homework?"

I thought he was also treating one of my English professors.

Hey, I hope I didn't gross anyone out by talking about shit and stuff, it's just what I call an accompanying symptom - just like my burning thighs - which I thought were prostate-related.

Thanks

Q

Last edited by Quasimodem; 02-21-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm not a MD, but I did have an enlarged prostate, so large, in fact, that after surgery for a calcaneal tendon rupture, I was not able to have any flow. I had to use a Foley catheter and then have laser surgery. But I had no problems with bms. It interferes with urine flow because it can close the passageway through the bladder in which the urine flows. The urine backs up into the bladder and the bladder expands. I don't see how, physiologically, it can have an effect on bms. You can palpate the prostate through the rectum, and if they biopsy it, they stick needles into it through the rectum, but the passage of fecal material is not affected by the enlargement of the prostate.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
From what I understand, the only issue with the Green Light surgery is the retrograde ejaculation that affects ~80% of men after surgery. In addition to shooting blanks, it can also feel a bit uncomfortable (from what I'm told).

I've been taking uroxatral for about 2 years. I'm only 40 now, but I started getting flow issues a few years ago. My doc said that my prostate is only slightly enlarged, but that the tight muscle tone of my prostate is probably the issue. He said the surgery would be great for me. I've considered it but am holding off because of my fear of the RE.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:14 PM
http://ehow.com/about_5047859_si...e-surgery.html

Quote:
Another side effect is called retrograde ejaculation, where the semen is released into the bladder rather than through the urethra. This occurs when the bladder sphincter is too weak as a result of removing prostate tissue or was damaged during laser surgery. This side effect is a serious concern for men and their partners who still want to have children, since only surgery corrects the problem.
What's your cite for 80%? I've read on some websites that the percentage is more like 20%.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
http://ehow.com/about_5047859_si...e-surgery.html

What's your cite for 80%? I've read on some websites that the percentage is more like 20%.
My urologist. He said not to believe the websites and that it occurs in almost everyone who has the surgery. He has performed hundreds and hundreds of these. He's one of the top urologists in NJ, but I sure hope he's wrong.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm 43, have been taking meds (first Flomax, then Proscar, now Avodart and have recently added Rapaflow) for a few years. I'll probably eventually get the surgery to reduce a lobe in my bladder that is partially blocking the opening of my urethra. Like the surgery, Flomax and Rapaflow both can cause (and do cause, in my experience) retrograde ejaculation. It's no picnic, but it allows me to urinate with less effort than without, so I stick with it. The best analogy for sex without ejaculation I can come up with is like sitting down to take what you expect will be a really satisfying dump, and you can still go so you feel a little better, but it wasn't what you were hoping for.

JJ- is he in the Princeton area?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkboard View Post
....JJ- is he in the Princeton area?
He's in Roselle, along with other locations. He performs his surgery out of UMDNJ in Newark.