Old 11-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Charter Member
EVIL WILL WHEATON ALERT--The Big Bang Theory 11/11--"The 21-Second Excitation"

Be sure to watch this one, even if you've never seen the show before.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Wheeeaaaattooonnn!!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I loved this episode !! Laughed a lot; loved the three girls "bonding"
Old 11-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by well he's back View Post
I loved this episode !! Laughed a lot; loved the three girls "bonding"
Yes, and very clever shooting to hide Kaley Cuoco's busted wheel.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Yes, and very clever shooting to hide Kaley Cuoco's busted wheel.
Yeah, I completely forgot about her breaking her leg. I loved the scene at the end when Amy causally decides to experiment with lesbianism with Penny.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:01 PM
BANNED
It was quite good but very telling.

Did you notice how whiny an annoying the guys were? Yet the girls were funny.

Amy is saying line for line, words that would normally come out of Sheldon's mouth. BUT and here's the thing, she's saying them like the Sheldon character USED to say them.

But coming from Amy these lines are not annoying sounding but are very funny.

The girls were excellent together. While Sheldon is getting more and more over the top. Would Sheldon really steal a movie?

I can see the character being frustrated but isn't Sheldon pretty darn honest.

When Penny is with Sheldon, she controls the annoying aspect of him. In tonight's episode Sheldon gets annoying and Leonard just shrugs and asks, "Can you deal with him?" Hardly funny or interactive.

I must say I liked the girls segment a lot. Mayim Bialik was never one of my favourites, but she is really holding her own here and doing a great job.

I second the end where she decides to experiment with lesbianism.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
I second the end where she decides to experiment with lesbianism.
That was blatantly out of character, too, really. Amy Farrah Fowler has never shown the faintest desire to experiment with heterosexuality.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
That was blatantly out of character, too, really. Amy Farrah Fowler has never shown the faintest desire to experiment with heterosexuality.
Amy Farrah Fowler has never shown the faintest desire to bond with the girls, either. As they say in show biz, "if you buy the premise, you buy the joke."

Did everyone notice that Mayim Bialik and Melissa Rauch are now featured in the opening credits?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Would Sheldon really steal a movie?
Yes. To thwart Wheaton, he'd do just about anything.

I really liked the episode. I watched by myself and giggled the whole time.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 PM
And I guess we will see the Penny/Leonard romance rekindled next week?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
While Sheldon is getting more and more over the top. Would Sheldon really steal a movie?
It's been well established that in normal controlled circumstances, Sheldon is very careful and in control. But when he passes breaking point, he is immediately irrational and reckless. I think that's been mostly consistent, keeping in mind it is a sitcom, where strict rules rarely apply.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I
Quote:
loved the scene at the end when Amy causally decides to experiment with lesbianism with Penny.
I always had a crush on Blossom as a kid and Amy Farah Fowler is SUCH an Aspie! The scene with the crowd running out ot the theatre reminded me of Blazing Saddles for some reason.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Quote:
Did you notice how whiny an annoying the guys were? Yet the girls were funny.
You know, really, it's only Leonard that I find whiny.

Quote:
But coming from Amy these lines are not annoying sounding but are very funny.
I agree he was in the beginning a little flatter. But this is just character growth. It's not at all annoying. His nagging was slightly annoying, but that was dialogue, not performance. In fact, I was impressed by Sheldon admitting to being afraid of Zombies. That was a cool moment. The only fail for Sheldon this episode was his awful attempt at impression.

Quote:
I must say I liked the girls segment a lot. Mayim Bialik was never one of my favourites, but she is really holding her own here and doing a great job.
Yup! In the past I have been OK with the writing for her character, but found the performance to be totally flat. She's been just reading the lines with no emotion. Which is the right start, but does not complete the equation. Either the writing for her overwhelmed her poor acting, or else her acting stepped up a notch. Not sure which.

Quote:
She wasn't really experimenting with her sexuality. She was going through the motions of a social bonding ritual. It was established at the beginning of the episode that she was trying to bond with Sheldon's friends (by arbitrarily taking their side), and it's not a big step from there to taking advantage of the "Girl's night" opportunity that arose. We're starting to see that while some of her social attempts are merely to placate her Mom, others actually stem from a vague tingle of remnants of feeling left out earlier in life.

And...

Wheaton does evil too well!

Last edited by jackdavinci; 11-12-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
She wasn't really experimenting with her sexuality. She was going through the motions of a social bonding ritual. It was established at the beginning of the episode that she was trying to bond with Sheldon's friends (by arbitrarily taking their side), and it's not a big step from there to taking advantage of the "Girl's night" opportunity that arose.
Okay, she wants to bond with the girls, and bond with Sheldon's friends; why no effort to "bond" with Sheldon when she had the chance?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:05 AM
BANNED
Leonard and Sheldon are an old sexless married couple.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Okay, she wants to bond with the girls, and bond with Sheldon's friends; why no effort to "bond" with Sheldon when she had the chance?
Because she wasn't reading a list off the Internet about expected behaviour in that social situation, and she and Sheldon are comfortable enough in each other's presense to not feel the need to go to extraordinary lengths to "bond". Not that interacting with Sheldon is "social" in any sense of the word.

Last edited by DrFidelius; 11-12-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Charter Member
By virtue of his three appearances of the show, I think Wil Wheaton can be totally forgiven for his Wesley Crusher youth. He was on the screen for three minutes and stole the show.

Did anyone else initially think it was Wil texting Sheldon?

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-12-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Did anyone else initially think it was Wil texting Sheldon?
Did I miss a scene where he got a text, or do you mean you initially interpreted the crank call as a text?

But, yeah, I totally thought the call was from Jar JarWil. That made it even funnier when it turned out to be from Penny.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 11-12-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Did I miss a scene where he got a text, or do you mean you initially interpreted the crank call as a text?

But, yeah, I totally thought the call was from Jar JarWil. That made it even funnier when it turned out to be from Penny.
Calling Sheldon. Sorry!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutAsWeirdAsYouCanGet View Post
The scene with the crowd running out ot the theatre reminded me of Blazing Saddles for some reason.
No, it was an homage to The Blob -- up to and including the name of the theater, the Colonial.

twicks, who lives near Phoenixville, home of the original Colonial (where they filmed that scene in the movie [no idea about last night]), which holds a Blobfest every summer

Last edited by twickster; 11-12-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Can someone spoil the final scene with Amy & Penny for me? As usual, my DVR cut out ahead of time, and its not up on cbs.com, though they do have the scene with Amy explaining the irregularities in her girl parts. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
The girls were excellent together. While Sheldon is getting more and more over the top. Would Sheldon really steal a movie?
Was I the only one who thought that by the time the audience is seated, the movie would have been removed from the shipping cases and be loaded up on the projector? (In other words, Sheldon probably stole empty cases.)
Old 11-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
Because she wasn't reading a list off the Internet about expected behaviour in that social situation, and she and Sheldon are comfortable enough in each other's presense to not feel the need to go to extraordinary lengths to "bond". Not that interacting with Sheldon is "social" in any sense of the word.
I still say it's out of character for Amy Farrah Fowler to pursue just the one sort of sexual experimentation. But it makes for a good joke, so the writers put it in.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Didn't Amy Farrah Fowler participate in sex research? That would make me think she is not as completely asexual as others make it out. Plus, she is intimately aware of her sexual organs and their oddities (tilted uterus and hard cervix). Plus, she may be perfectly comfortable with sexual gratification without the pair-bonding aspect (i.e. masturbation).
Old 11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Luna View Post
Didn't Amy Farrah Fowler participate in sex research? That would make me think she is not as completely asexual as others make it out. Plus, she is intimately aware of her sexual organs and their oddities (tilted uterus and hard cervix). Plus, she may be perfectly comfortable with sexual gratification without the pair-bonding aspect (i.e. masturbation).
Yes she did. Extensive sex research. She is not unfamiliar with what she's got and how it rocks.

Howard and Raj are definitely married. Maybe not legally, maybe not consciously, but they've pair-bonded.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Just don't tell Raj, or he'll lose his translator. >_>
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
No, it was an homage to The Blob -- up to and including the name of the theater, the Colonial.

twicks, who lives near Phoenixville, home of the original Colonial (where they filmed that scene in the movie [no idea about last night]), which holds a Blobfest every summer
I thought it was a homage to the opening of Raiders when Indy gets chased by the crowd of natives. Given what you write about the movie theater name, that can't be a coincidence so I guess it was a reference layered on a reference.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Charter Member
Definitely layered. Sheldon's comment about not having a pontoon plane handy when you need one makes the chase an homage to "Raiders" as well.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Oh, completely. It was nearly shot for shot, the way you only see the heroes at first, then Wil in the Belloq role calling after Sheldon, then hordes of natives pouring after them. Dead-on.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
BANNED
Amy wasn't experimenting with lesbianism because she has an interest in sexuality, she did it because it was "next on the list." If it had been "giving each other a facial" she would've gone with that.

I still don't think Sheldon would've stole a movie. I have just finished season one and half way through season two and every time Sheldon does anything even remotely dishonest or wrong, it's because he thinks he is helping someone. Such as breaking in and cleaning Penny's flat or cracking the computer store's system so he can help the customers that are obviously being neglected. In those cases he thinks he is HELPING them.

The way Amy is delivering lines is exactly how Jim Parsons used to deliver his lines.

When Penny and Sheldon are together it works, 'cause Penny will HELP him and try to talk to him. The guys just blow him off with "I can't deal with him." Well if the characters can't deal with him, how is the audience supposed to.

When the characters are in the lunch room and Sheldon is shrieking, it gives the writers an opportunity for jokes or amusement. The others just react by being annoyed. Penny would react by responding and giving the Sheldon character a chance to say something funny. So basically we're left with the set up but no punchline

The series started out, take four geniuses and have them have no social skills. Then put them in situations where it's the social skills that count, not the brains. Typical fish out of water, with hillarious results.

I laughed so hard when Amy is asked a truth or dare and she wants to know if Penny knows how hot you have to heat something to denude the prion that causes Mad Cow Disease. That is something that Sheldon would've said.

I know it's not a popular thing to be critical of Sheldon, but the girls simply stole this episode from the guys. And they did it by behaving the way the guys used to act.

Last edited by Markxxx; 11-12-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Scene from Chez FallenAngel last night:

(Amy finishes the recitation.)

FA: Cool. She's reciting Chaucer in the Middle English

Mrs. FA (in disbelief as Amy confirms): You are such a friggin' geek.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Wil Wheaton is always great playing his evil self! He needs to appear at least once per season. He really rattles Sheldon down to the core, doesn't he?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:25 PM
Best line of the night: "I'm not sure how this is scored, but I'd guess we won."
Old 11-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
<snip>
I laughed so hard when Amy is asked a truth or dare and she wants to know if Penny knows how hot you have to heat something to denude the prion that causes Mad Cow Disease. <snip>
I think she actually asked Bernadette, who is a biologist (if I remember correctly) and could reasonably be expected to know that.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Amy wasn't experimenting with lesbianism because she has an interest in sexuality, she did it because it was "next on the list." If it had been "giving each other a facial" she would've gone with that.
Ya know, I just went a whole 'nother direction with that.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Definitely layered. Sheldon's comment about not having a pontoon plane handy when you need one makes the chase an homage to "Raiders" as well.
AboutAsWeirdAsYouCanGet - Blazing Saddles hadn't occured to me, but I see what you mean. "It's HEDLEY!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
Scene from Chez FallenAngel last night:

(Amy finishes the recitation.)

FA: Cool. She's reciting Chaucer in the Middle English

Mrs. FA (in disbelief as Amy confirms): You are such a friggin' geek.
You're not the only one - as soon as I heard "Absolon" and "Nicholas", I said to myself, "Miller's Tale!" One of the few things I retain from high school is the first fourteen lines of the Prologue to The Canterbury Tales - you know, the "Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote..." I still love reciting it, just for the sound of the Middle English. By the way, for those of you wondering, the "nether ye" is what we would call "the brown-eye".

I thought the episode was meh, overall. Not really impressed. The only really good moment was Bernadette ambushing Penny about her feelings for Leonard. The more I watch the show, the more I think that Penny is the heart of it. And Kaley Cuoco is just such a great comic actress.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Amy wasn't experimenting with lesbianism because she has an interest in sexuality, she did it because it was "next on the list."
Yes, exactly. And by the same token, the next thing on the list in her relationship with Sheldon would be coitus sex. In one case, she hews exactly and precisely to what (she thinks) social convention would expect of her; in the other, she conspicuously avoids it.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Yes, exactly. And by the same token, the next thing on the list in her relationship with Sheldon would be coitus sex. In one case, she hews exactly and precisely to what (she thinks) social convention would expect of her; in the other, she conspicuously avoids it.
I think Sheldon and Amy have considered themselves so far removed from social convention that the idea of following it within their particular...whatever it is...is laughable to them. Amy was following social convention in order to bond with the girls during "Girls' Night Out" simply because it would make her more palatable to Sheldon's acquaintances.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:38 PM
My first thought was the Blazing Saddles scene.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Quote:
She's a girl. She's a friend. She is not his "girlfriend."
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter Member
When one of the guys mentioned that the additional 21 seconds of footage might clear up the submarine question, I assumed that this was referring to the question of how Indy rode on the outside of that submarine until they arrived at the island. And I was surprised that Penny didn't like the movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark has much more broad appeal than some of the other movies that they could have geeked over.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Was I the only one who thought that by the time the audience is seated, the movie would have been removed from the shipping cases and be loaded up on the projector? (In other words, Sheldon probably stole empty cases.)

Nope - I thought the same thing (not only taken out of the cases, but put into one long strip instead of ~8 smaller ones)

Brian
Old 11-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
When one of the guys mentioned that the additional 21 seconds of footage might clear up the submarine question, I assumed that this was referring to the question of how Indy rode on the outside of that submarine until they arrived at the island. And I was surprised that Penny didn't like the movie. Raiders of the Lost Ark has much more broad appeal than some of the other movies that they could have geeked over.
Raiders of the Lost Ark is as much a guy flick as Eat Pray Love is a chick flick.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Charter Member
Cool picture interlude...

I just ran across this picture (Craig Ferguson with the BBT boys)) and I thought you guys might appreciate it.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
I kinda liked how Leonard was reading Eat Pray Love while waiting in line for Raiders.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Average episode. Nice variation with the boy/girl division, but the guys are together all the time, and only now is there more than one female regular (I assume Amy and Bernadette will be around for a while.

Anyone else think Sheldon and Penny should be together? They're the pair that actually care about each other.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Evil Wil Wheaton is is all over Seasons 3 and 4 of "The Guild" if you like Evil Wil Wheaton.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Charter Member
The story of Kaley's broken leg - I knew she broke it, I didn't know she BROKE it! They were talking amputation!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Friends please forgive my ignorance as I am new to the show, why is Wil Wheaton known as Evil Wil Wheaton? What is the back story of his character is he playing himself, or something else?

Last edited by Icerigger; 11-13-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:55 PM
He's playing himself. If he were evil. He's become Sheldon's arch-enemy. He's the one who broke Leonard and Penny up - not to mess with them, but to mess with Sheldon.