Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Knocking it up a notch. BAM!
Charter Member
Bones Season 3: ''Pain in the Heart'' (Gormogon's apprentice)

Season 3, Episode 15 ''Pain in the Heart'' SPOILERS, obviously.

We're going through Bones on Netflix right now, which we like for the way it faithfully honors nerds. But did that episode seriously just happen? Zack Addy is Gormogon's apprentice? For reals? Did they seriously just remove my favorite character from the show in an epically stupid plot twist?

I give them credit... a tiny, microscopic amount of credit... for not pulling an Edward Norton on us and having Zack be some kind of secret horrific monster plotting for everyone's destruction. But...really? I'm supposed to believe this kid just decided mass murder in the name of secret societies was just compelling enough rationally that he would compromise his career and reputation for a cannibal?

Please, someone explain this to me. I must be missing something.

And I'm supposed to believe this happened right - and I mean in the very same episode as - a Booth death fake-out?

I want Zack back!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm sorry- that episode actually never happened. Therefore, I refuse to discuss it.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Charter Member
You know, I actually thought it was a clever episode right up until the end. I was thinking, ''Wow, look how Gormogon has made them all suspicious of one another and how they're tearing themselves apart when in reality there's no way any of them could be involved...''

If they had to write Zack off the show, he could have died in that explosion. ''Oh my god, look where our baseless assumptions have gotten us! Let us never mistrust one another again!''

Really, it was that easy.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
If they had to write Zack off the show, he could have died in that explosion. ''Oh my god, look where our baseless assumptions have gotten us! Let us never mistrust one another again!''
It's not even that they had to... they did it just to fuck with the audience. The Bones producers wanted a huge surprise for Gormagon and the only way to do that was to make him one of the main cast members. Zack was picked at random.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
You know, I actually thought it was a clever episode right up until the end. I was thinking, ''Wow, look how Gormogon has made them all suspicious of one another and how they're tearing themselves apart when in reality there's no way any of them could be involved...''

Really, it was that easy.
You forgot how that episode also began with unmitigated (unrelated) stupidity.

ETA - IIRC, this is what happens when writers go on strike. The funny thing is, I know several people who have only seen that episode, of all episodes! And that whole Gormagon thing had been so cool and interesting up until then!

Last edited by Zsofia; 12-14-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:21 AM
I pretty much gave up on the show after that. I'll still watch reruns or new episodes if there's absolutely nothing else opposite it.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
ETA - IIRC, this is what happens when writers go on strike. The funny thing is, I know several people who have only seen that episode, of all episodes! And that whole Gormagon thing had been so cool and interesting up until then!
During the writer's strike I was pretty pissed at the writers, but I eventually came around. You gotta do what you gotta do and the writers thought they were being shafted in the paycheck department. I guess I can deal with fewer TV shows for a few months.

But the Gormagon finale was such a giant middle finger to the fans and the cast that I became pissed at the writers all over again. Fuck 'em, they never should have went on strike. They don't deserve more money if this is what they're going to do when the strike is over.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
You forgot how that episode also began with unmitigated (unrelated) stupidity.
That's what I meant by the Booth death fake-out thing. But at least in that case I knew it was a fake-out because it's an old episode and I'm aware Booth still appears regularly in current ones. It was stupid, but no stupider than countless other TV shows who have done the same stupid thing.

So I guess the question I really have is whether this show is going to suck from now on, or whether this was just one of those random terrible episodes that inevitably happens.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 12-14-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Search Eric Millegan on YouTube (I can't access it from work). Eric is the actor who portrays Zack Addy on Bones, I think he was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder pretty soon after he got the role.
I think the Gormagon story arc was supposed to go on for a lot longer but as Justin Bailey mentioned that was the year of the writers' strike, so they had to wrap up the season pretty quickly and deal with Zack having less of a role.

For the rest of the seasons ithe quality kind of seesaws. Last year was pretty bad, but this year it's better.

Last edited by Emily Litella; 12-14-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
So I guess the question I really have is whether this show is going to suck from now on, or whether this was just one of those random terrible episodes that inevitably happens.
It's never that painfully stupid again. Some of the later episodes aren't great, but if you enjoyed the first three seasons (barring this episode of course), you'll enjoy the rest of it.

Bones is more one-offs than arc-based episodes anyway, so there'll probably never be a clear marking point of "now it sucks!"
Old 12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
We have just recently gotten into Bones on Netflix as well (just started Season 5). I do wonder how much of that had to do with Eric Millegan's bipolar. Remember the end of Season 2 also had him leaving for war, but then he was back again. It just seems like he/the writers/someone, wasn't sure of him being able to come back at least one other time.

Without spoiling too much, I will say that you haven't seen the last of him. And as a very minor spoiler:

SPOILER:
the thing that bothered me the most about this story-line is resolved in another episode

but I won't say any more about that.

Also, on a tip from someone, I went back and rewatched the episode (season 2 I think) "The Woman in the Car", where they are all interviewed by the top secret lady. Wish I could find the exact quote! She does question him on whether or not someone could give him a logical reasoned plan on giving up the secrets to the country or something like that. Not that I think it was a foreshadowing done on purpose, but it does give us an idea that he could be persuaded to do something like this.

I miss Zach too, and, while I like one of the ways he was replaced, I don't like the other.

SPOILER:
Sweets grew on me pretty quickly, but I dislike the majority of the interns that circle through.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah, don't give up. Keep watching. You will get a tiny amount of closure later.

However (and I STILL want Zack back) an amusing story line develops where Bones goes through many interns and some of them are QUITE good and QUITE quirky.

Don't give up.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM
What a coincidence - I just saw this episode the other day. I had been spoiled (thanks, Dad), so I knew who the apprentice was, but it was all so...sudden. No hints, no foreshadowing. It was just weird.

I guess this is what happens when there's a writer's strike: sudden rush to finish up the storyline.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM
Zach was my favorite character. Sweets is great too but I think there was room for both of them.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Sith Mod
I was spoiled about Zack being the apprentice before I started watching the show, so I had a bit of a different perspective on the character up to that point. Instead of seeing Zack as "cute, cluess guy," from the beginning I was seeing him as "high-functioning sociopath." The character worked pretty well both ways.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0psn4j View Post
Zach was my favorite character. Sweets is great too but I think there was room for both of them.
And of course we were all like, ''OMG, it's Sam Weir all grown up!'' Yeah, we like Sweets too. Enough to overlook all the blatantly unprofessional actions he takes as a psychologist.

Zack will always be King of the Lab though.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM
This season Sweets is much more mature and professional. Tempe and Booth take him more seriously.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, the show has never been that bad since then, partly because, hey, you can only really reach for the stars so many times in your life. I believe that may be the worst episode of any show ever, at any time in any place in any part of the space-time continuum, particularly with regards to its treatment of the fans.

Look, the show is not good. It has never been and never will be good. But please don't judge it by that episode!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Yeah, the show has never been that bad since then
I actually liked the episode, especially the way that Brennan talked Zach down. And I thought that the later episode where Booth is trapped on a boat with a ghost was a thousand times worse, although it, too, was mitigated by a later episode.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 AM
They did made it minimally better with a subsequent episode where Zach escaped the institution to help with a case and the real truth of the Gormegon incident came out with a talk to Sweets. I kind of thought it was going to lead to a return of Zach, but no such luck. Can't say I'm too fond of these rotating interns.

Last edited by running piglet cheese; 12-15-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdavinci View Post
I actually liked the episode, especially the way that Brennan talked Zach down. And I thought that the later episode where Booth is trapped on a boat with a ghost was a thousand times worse, although it, too, was mitigated by a later episode.
OH my goodness worst episode I've seen so far! Actually all three of the ones where Booth hallucinates are just terrible. The one where he sees Stewie was at least interesting for the Brennan wants a baby thing.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyla View Post
<snip> I guess this is what happens when there's a writer's strike: sudden rush to finish up the storyline.
I've said it in a previous thread. They would have been better off to leave that storyline unfinished and continue it the following year. I think somebody may have forced the writers to end the storyline that season.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelChristine View Post
OH my goodness worst episode I've seen so far! Actually all three of the ones where Booth hallucinates are just terrible. The one where he sees Stewie was at least interesting for the Brennan wants a baby thing.
Well, I kind of liked that one just because he told somebody about it and they were like "HOLY FUCK DUDE GO TO THE HOSPITAL!" Whereas a lot of times on TV either the hallucinator keeps it to himself or he tells somebody and it's no big deal. In real life, when Stewie talks to you when you're trying to do your FBI business, you need an MRI. Or to stop drinking, either one.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by running piglet cheese View Post
They did made it minimally better with a subsequent episode where Zach escaped the institution to help with a case and the real truth of the Gormegon incident came out with a talk to Sweets. I kind of thought it was going to lead to a return of Zach, but no such luck. Can't say I'm too fond of these rotating interns.
Can someone spoil this for me? I never knew such an episode existed. (Don't watch TV much.)
Old 12-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
And of course we were all like, ''OMG, it's Sam Weir all grown up!'' Yeah, we like Sweets too. Enough to overlook all the blatantly unprofessional actions he takes as a psychologist.
I really, really think that Sweets should just have been their friendly neighbourhood profiler. That way, his clear ineptitude in psychoanalyzing normal people would have made sense. (He's not terrible, he often has good insights, but his penchant for applying weird theories rather than just, you know, understanding people, is weird.)

I try to get past the blatant ignorance of all academic disciplines in the show, but Bones hating psychology and loving anthropology (way more of a soft science to me!) strains a bit. I could see her disliking a profiler, since profiling is unsubstantiated by empirical evidence.

Last edited by Sonnenstrahl; 12-15-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenstrahl View Post
I try to get past the blatant ignorance of all academic disciplines in the show, but Bones hating psychology and loving anthropology (way more of a soft science to me!) strains a bit. I could see her disliking a profiler, since profiling is unsubstantiated by empirical evidence.
To be fair, a lot of mainstream psychology over the last 100 years hasn't been based in empirical evidence. That's changing rapidly, but for a long time, most therapeutic techniques were basically ideas people pulled out of their own asses. I don't know anything about anthropology but if she is a real scientist I could understand her reservations about psychology.

running piglet cheese, why did you post a blatant spoiler in a thread started by a person who obviously hadn't seen past Season 3? Really? This is the second spoiler I've gotten in 5 minutes in this forum. I'M TRYING TO RELAX HERE!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM
running piglet cheese, why did you post a blatant spoiler in a thread started by a person who obviously hadn't seen past Season 3? Really? This is the second spoiler I've gotten in 5 minutes in this forum. I'M TRYING TO RELAX HERE![/QUOTE]

Sorry, Olive. Tried to be a little obscure, but obviously not enough. But to be fair, the thread doesn't say no spoilers.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by running piglet cheese View Post
Sorry, Olive. Tried to be a little obscure, but obviously not enough. But to be fair, the thread doesn't say no spoilers.
Eh, it's not that big a deal. I just got a MAJOR spoiler in that Dr. Horrible thread for Angel and I was taking it out on you. Did I mention it's finals week?

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 12-15-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, it all started with Zach being severely traumatized by a particular episode of The Smurfs when he was seven years old. It took many years of therapy for him to recover.

Then, the summer after graduating college, he took a trip to Las Vegas with a bunch of high school friends. Unfortunalely, he was slipped a roofie and gang raped by several members of the Blue Man Group, not only re-awakening, but strengthening his Smurf related trauma.

So when he was approached by Gormogon, his traumatized mind instantly connected and assumed "Gargamel", the tormenter of the Smurfs. Wanting vengeance on the little blue bastards, especially for what happened in Vegas, Zach was quick to sign on and agree to anything and everything 'Gargamel' said.

Well, that and the massive student loans. He figured if he could get his hands on just a couple of Smurfs and melt them down for gold, it would go a long way toward relieving his crushing debt. Or maybe he was confusing the Smurfs with a somewhat similar episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

Let's not even go into what happened when Avatar was released.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Well, that and the massive student loans. He figured if he could get his hands on just a couple of Smurfs and melt them down for gold, it would go a long way toward relieving his crushing debt.
Now you're talking my language!

Zack... buddy... I understand.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Charter Member
Apparently this is really bugging my Sr. Olives as well.

I just received the following text:

"New theory: Zack was compelled to kill because they made him cut his hair, resulting in the loss of his moral compass.''