Old 01-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Dry mustard in Mac & Cheese - Why?

I keep seeing dry mustard as an ingredient in mac & cheese.

Since it tastes pretty bad directly, what is it that it adds to Mac & cheese or any other dish as an ingredient? Sharp? Spicy? Umami?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Charter Member
Besides a bit of flavor, the lecithin helps to emulsify the sauce.

That's also why some salad dressings use a bit of mustard when mixing oil and vinegar.

Last edited by running coach; 01-01-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
We also add a small amount of nutmeg. Anybody else?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM
It adds sharpness. Most commercial cheese is rather dull these days, and the dry mustard helps brings that sharp element back to the dish. I'm not really sure which part of Mac & Cheese would need help emulsifying, though.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
FWIW, I don't put dry mustard in my mac and cheese, but just about anything that is white-sauce based, including mac and cheese, gets a pinch of nutmeg. Seems to deepen the flavor. My hubby saw me putting nutmeg in the creamed spinach on Thanksgiving, and said "Why in the hell would you put nutmeg in spinach??"

He just doesn't get it.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:11 PM
FWIW, I don't use dry mustard in my mac & cheese since the only thing I can find around here is karashi and I'm not sure how that would taste. I've never noticed any significant difference in the flavor.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by norinew View Post
FWIW, My hubby saw me putting nutmeg in the creamed spinach on Thanksgiving, and said "Why in the hell would you put nutmeg in spinach??"

He just doesn't get it.
Why would you want to ruin perfectly good nutmeg?

Old 01-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Why would you want to ruin perfectly good nutmeg?

Hey, no need to tell me, friend! I don't even like creamed spinach. I was making it because he likes it! When I told him I've always put nutmeg in his creamed spinach, he was all like

Didn't keep him from eating all of it, though.

A bit of nutmeg is a small price to pay for a happy marriage!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Yep, and a bit of cayenne - I skip the mustard.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by norinew View Post
FWIW, I don't put dry mustard in my mac and cheese, but just about anything that is white-sauce based, including mac and cheese, gets a pinch of nutmeg. Seems to deepen the flavor. My hubby saw me putting nutmeg in the creamed spinach on Thanksgiving, and said "Why in the hell would you put nutmeg in spinach??"

He just doesn't get it.
This is a good thing. We used to make pasta with a smoked salmon white sauce sauce. Just a bit of ground nutmeg made the dish.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I just made a casserole today from eggs, sausage, bread, milk and cheese and it called for dry mustard. I thought the same thing as the OP... "mustard?"

Didn't taste the mustard one bit, fwiw.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I put dry mustard in my meatloaf, and while it doesn't make it taste mustardy, we sure miss it when I forget. And another meatloaf-y type thing I make, which is basically meatloaf inside a loaf or French bread ( and called, amazingly, Burger Loafer) has nutmeg. Definitely not as good without it.