Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 PM
To bisexual men

A question to bisexual men on this forum, or others who might know the answer.

Are bisexual men attracted to certain types of women? Like women with boyish figures? Women above average height? Women who have a dominant personality? In other words women with some masculine traits.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Hmmm.

I think my answer can be found in the following questions: Are straight women attracted to certain types of men? Like men with hair? Tall men? Assertive men?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Hmmm.

I think my answer can be found in the following questions: Are straight women attracted to certain types of men? Like men with hair? Tall men? Assertive men?
So you don't think there's any major difference between straight and bisexual men when it comes down to what kind of women they prefer?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:13 PM
From what I can tell, the only common element shared by bisexual men as a group is that they're attracted to both men and women. Other than that, they're as diverse as any other group of people lumped together by what gender/s they are attracted to.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
This is my anecdotal experience (has this been researched? I kinda doubt it). I messed around for a while with a bi guy (which I was cool with because hey, mmf threesome maybe? ) and we talked about it some. He was a laid-back guy with low standards for appearance, and would frankly have sex with pretty much anything that walked and didn't smell like a dumpster. He was also pretty young though, only 20, so he was in the horniest stage of his adult life. I feel like a lot of non-bi guys have similar standards for their choice in partner, at that age. I don't feel like his bisexuality had an effect on what he did or didn't find attractive, except that his range of potential partners was double the size of a non-bisexual person.

He was both romantically and physically bisexual. He wanted a romantic and a sexual relationship with me (a girl) and had had both with gay guys in the past. I say this just to highlight his "type," since there are people who are attracted physically to both sexes but would only consider a relationship with one or the other. Or vice versa.

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 04-28-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danika View Post
So you don't think there's any major difference between straight and bisexual men when it comes down to what kind of women they prefer?
Speaking only for myself-no, not really.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Quote:
I have to question, upon seeing this quoted in its own context, whether you think all straight men have similar preferences in women to other straight men. 'Cause they don't. Chubsters, skinnies, blondes, redheads, tall, short, blue eyes, white skin, brown eyes, black skin, huge boobs, no boobs... there's really no universally attractive type to all heterosexual males, despite what media stereotypes would have you believe.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Sith Mod
As a bisexual, I tend to prefer women with some masculine traits, or guys with some feminine traits. Really butch guys, or really femme girls, don't usually do it for me. On the other hand, I'm strongly attracted to really butch women, and really femme guys.

But those are both very broad generalities. There have been plenty of times where I've been attracted to someone who doesn't fit those criteria.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
I have to question, upon seeing this quoted in its own context, whether you think all straight men have similar preferences in women to other straight men. 'Cause they don't. Chubsters, skinnies, blondes, redheads, tall, short, blue eyes, white skin, brown eyes, black skin, huge boobs, no boobs... there's really no universally attractive type to all heterosexual males, despite what media stereotypes would have you believe.
No, I don't think that all straigt men have similar preferences in women. My thought was that maybe bisexual men in general prefer women who are more on the masculine side considering the fact that they also are attracted to men.

Is it likely that a bisexual man would be attracted to someone who's very feminine, let's say Marilyn Monroe?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't think anyone with a pulse could refrain from being attracted to her.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Quote:
Quote:
No, I don't think that all straigt men have similar preferences in women. My thought was that maybe bisexual men in general prefer women who are more on the masculine side considering the fact that they also are attracted to men.
Exactly. The question isn't settled by what straight men (or straight women) are attracted to, because straight men are not attracted to other men. To my perspective, there's a WORLD of difference between a man being attracted to this type, that type, or the other type of WOMAN, and a man being attracted to another MAN. It's a completely different, HUGELY different, game-changingly different dimension of sexuality to me as a straight guy. A whole other world. Now, to a bi guy, it may not be that big of a deal -- or maybe it is: hence the question.

It does not seem unreasonable to me to wonder whether a bi male, who is different from straight males in having an attraction to men, might have an attraction to women who in some way resemble men. And since his sexuality is different from that of straight men, what straight men like doesn't address the issue.

ETA: This difference doesn't necessarily mean that bi men as a group MUST have different taste in women (compared to straight men as a group), but to me it means there's no basis to assume they necessarily DON'T have different taste in women.

Last edited by Gary T; 04-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Quote:
I don't think anyone with a pulse could refrain from being attracted to her.
I wonder if Miller is
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Sith Mod
Quote:
I wonder if Miller is
Eh.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
It does not seem unreasonable to me to wonder whether a bi male, who is different from straight males in having an attraction to men, might have an attraction to women who in some way resemble men.
Yes, that was my thought as well.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I've got a bit of a Jessica Rabbit type thing going on and I dated a bi guy who liked the big boobs, wasp waist, curvy ass thing just fine.

Like everything else, I suspect it depends on the guy.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post
I've got a bit of a Jessica Rabbit type thing going on and I dated a bi guy who liked the big boobs, wasp waist, curvy ass thing just fine.

That's interesting.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice_in_wonderland View Post

So, how ya' doing?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:26 AM
Quote:
No, I don't think it matters. Hell, even my taste in women changes from time to time. What can I say, I like variety
Old 04-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I'm a bisexual woman. The women I've dated have been quite a diverse range of body types, although most have been quite girly. The men I've dated on the other hand have all been more of a consistent "type". Most of them were like Steve Rodgers (aka Captain America). The comic book version, not the Chris Evans version. So per the OP: no, I have not dated girly men, nor manly women.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:59 AM
I disagree that heterosexual men don't have a type. It's a very vaguely defined type, but there are some standards that more of us have than don't. If not, then there would not be so much agreement on who is hot.

I'm not exactly sure the exact criteria, but I know that, when I talk to guys about hot women, we all seem to pretty much agree who is hot and who is not. I'd guess an 90% overlap, easy.

This sort of thing would make an interesting study, not just for hetero and bisexual men, but also lesbians and bisexual women.

Last edited by BigT; 04-29-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
A question to bisexual men on this forum, or others who might know the answer.

Are bisexual men attracted to certain types of women? Like women with boyish figures? Women above average height? Women who have a dominant personality? In other words women with some masculine traits.
Personally, I prefer masculine men and feminine women. That doesn't mean I never like androgynous looking people, but they're not my "type".

I'm sure we had a thread about androgyny last week... Here it is, it's a zombie that got revived for some reason.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I disagree that heterosexual men don't have a type. It's a very vaguely defined type, but there are some standards that more of us have than don't. If not, then there would not be so much agreement on who is hot.

I'm not exactly sure the exact criteria, but I know that, when I talk to guys about hot women, we all seem to pretty much agree who is hot and who is not. I'd guess an 90% overlap, easy.

This sort of thing would make an interesting study, not just for hetero and bisexual men, but also lesbians and bisexual women.
That is an interesting point. Plus, there does seem to be some universality among what we as humans consider attractive in general. I don't think it's so strange to speculate if there's a bi "type" either.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Yes, it would be an interesting study. Maybe it's already been done by someone?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats_Crayons View Post
I'm a bisexual woman. The women I've dated have been quite a diverse range of body types, although most have been quite girly. The men I've dated on the other hand have all been more of a consistent "type". Most of them were like Steve Rodgers (aka Captain America). The comic book version, not the Chris Evans version. So per the OP: no, I have not dated girly men, nor manly women.
Interesting. Obiviously not all bisexuals agree with the hypothesis in my OP.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
It does not seem unreasonable to me to wonder whether a bi male, who is different from straight males in having an attraction to men, might have an attraction to women who in some way resemble men.

Yes, that was my thought as well.
Does that particular meat grinder turn backwards? Say I'm attracted to solidly built gals with short hair who don't like wearing makeup, or tallish comic actresses with low voices. Could a convincing psychoanalytic argument then be presented that my desire for a non-stereotypical woman is really just repressed bisexuality?

Last edited by Beware of Doug; 05-04-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I like masculine men and feminine women. Effeminate men and butch women leave me cold.

Men and women are not chocolate and vanilla. I don't want a swirl cone.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug View Post
Does that particular meat grinder turn backwards? Say I'm attracted to solidly built gals with short hair who don't like wearing makeup, or tallish comic actresses with low voices. Could a convincing psychoanalytic argument then be presented that my desire for a non-stereotypical woman is really just repressed bisexuality?
You've really never heard someone argue that? Obviously, any guy into a cute boyish goth chick or a girl who likes pretty boys is obviously gay but won't admit it to themselves. Or just a guy into assertive women, or a woman dating a man who's more comfortable in a supportive role.

Well, usually it's less 'arguing' than 'talking about people behind their backs' but the line of reasoning is the same. I personally find this reasoning, ah, less than compelling, but I've heard it. Often backed with the argument that women who like butch chicks and men who like girly dudes aren't really gay.

Anyway, I'm not bi enough to answer the question directly, but pretty much all the bi people I know (though most were women) had very different ideals when it came to men and women.

In any case, 'some masculine traits' is vague enough that it could probably be applied to a good majority of women. 'Above average height,' no makeup, good at math, assertive, 'works in a male dominated field,' deep voice, 'some traditionally male hobbies,' 'dominant personality,' athletic, naturally hirsute . . . few women have most of them, but almost all have one or two.

--
Though I suppose it is better than claiming that male bisexuals don't exist, and that any who claim to it are either lying or delusional.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug View Post
Not in my book but I'm sure there are people who would see it that way Personally I don't think people are bisexual without themselves knowing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ura-Maru View Post
In any case, 'some masculine traits' is vague enough that it could probably be applied to a good majority of women. 'Above average height,' no makeup, good at math, assertive, 'works in a male dominated field,' deep voice, 'some traditionally male hobbies,' 'dominant personality,' athletic, naturally hirsute . . . few women have most of them, but almost all have one or two.
True and I did mean women who have many masculine traits.