Old 05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
I've got cramp in my throat

I just yawned and somehow managed to get cramp in my throat, right under my chin. It feels like the whole area has gone into spasm and I now have a hard ridge of muscle knotted under my chin.

That's a new one on me.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
I get those from time to time right behind the front part of my lower jaw; I think it's my tongue. Jesus H. Christ, they're painful. Never thought to google it, but waddya know, we're not alone.

Two remedies I've found:

1. press HARD on the cramp with my thumb.

or

2. tilt my head back as far as I can (with mouth/jaw closed), which seems to stretch the cramp zone and force the muscle to relax.

I only discovered #2 about a year ago, but I like it better because #1 actually hurts a bit (you have to press really hard).

Last edited by Machine Elf; 05-04-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colophon View Post
I just yawned and somehow managed to get cramp in my throat, right under my chin. It feels like the whole area has gone into spasm and I now have a hard ridge of muscle knotted under my chin.

That's a new one on me.
I've had that. It's horrible and disturbing. Chew like mad is what I do.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I always assumed it was from pulling some muscle connected to the tongue. It's always happened to me in the middle of a yawn.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Now I'm afraid to yawn.....
Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I had that a time or two, too. Never really lasted too long. Didn't even know I had a muscle there to cramp.

Weird, ain't it?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
I hate that. To me it feels like some muscle has gotten stuck out of place and hasn't quite snapped back into its proper spot.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad View Post
I had that a time or two, too. Never really lasted too long. Didn't even know I had a muscle there to cramp.
Your tongue is actually pretty tall. Here's an anatomical sketch; it comes down and attaches to the bottom part of the jaw bone, far below your lower incisor teeth. I'm pretty sure that's what's cramping up.