Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Style Of Clothing That Is Best Accentuated With A Porkpie Hat?

I received a porkpie hat as a 2010 Christmas present. I'm told that it is bad ass and incidentally makes the wearer look bad ass and sexy. I've been complimented on it by men, women, elderly and young and all that without wearing any clothes that are particularly special. While I don't wear the hat in just bum sweat pants and stained shirts or anything like that, I also don't really even own any "stylish" men's wear clothing. Because of this I know I am not getting the full awesomeness from my porkpie hat.

This leads me here. I turn to the teeming millions for some stylish men's wear advice that will help bring out the full potential of my porkpie hat.


Information:

-Male
-Five feet seven inches tall
-Thin body
-Naturally tan skin tone
-Black hair

The hat itself being made of felt and is straight black with a small feather on the left.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:09 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 172
Why, a porkpie hat goes best with sausage pants. Heh heh.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 24,083
I used to be a rudegirl wannabe so I wouldn't mind seeing your hat with a short-sleeved button-up shirt and some khaki or other colored dress pants (not suit pants) and some super fly shoes.

You could also wear it with a short-sleeved or rolled-up-sleeve plaid flannel and some tidy jeans. And super fly shoes.

If you are very awesome you wear it with a black suit, skinny tie and super-fly shoes. With black braces underneath the suit coat
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,129
ZipperJJ basically took my suggestions, and with a similar point of reference. So I say:
- short sleeve, button down plaid shirt with a button down collar tucked into
- snug, classic blue jeans with a small cuff rolled into them and, if you are bold
- skinny clip-on suspenders and
- loafers or polished black or oxblood Docs.

I dig a stingy brim hat, but they look funny on me. I sort of have a giant head.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 21,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages View Post
ZipperJJ basically took my suggestions, and with a similar point of reference. So I say:
- short sleeve, button down plaid shirt with a button down collar tucked into
- snug, classic blue jeans with a small cuff rolled into them and, if you are bold
- skinny clip-on suspenders and
- loafers or polished black or oxblood Docs.

I dig a stingy brim hat, but they look funny on me. I sort of have a giant head.
- Lose the suspenders...
- Heavy-soled shoes like Doc's, or Chuck Taylors
- Clean jeans or khaki's
- White t-shirt
- Either a dark-colored knit sweater vest - wear just over the t-shirt - or a loose, comfy, plaid blazer - again, just over the t-shirt - or a cool short-sleeve (bowling shirt or the kind worn by Larry David or Charlie Sheen on their TV shows) - or a denim button-down shirt worn as a jacket and left mostly unbuttoned...
- do you wear glasses? Black plastic frames can work...

This is basically what I wear as a gigging guitar player - I have a stingy-brim black hat that works...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Emerald City South
Posts: 2,260
Button down shirt, white. Dark colored vest. Slim legged pants, denim or chino. Sketchers on the feet.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,767
don't wear a light-colored jacket and a dark shirt and tie or you'll look like a mobster.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
I used to be a rudegirl wannabe so I wouldn't mind seeing your hat with a short-sleeved button-up shirt and some khaki or other colored dress pants (not suit pants) and some super fly shoes.

You could also wear it with a short-sleeved or rolled-up-sleeve plaid flannel and some tidy jeans. And super fly shoes.

If you are very awesome you wear it with a black suit, skinny tie and super-fly shoes. With black braces underneath the suit coat
This, definitely. A porkpie hat will look good with most traditional skinhead or mod fashions. If you're wanting to go more casual, I'd suggest a pair of Doc Martens and slim, clean fitting jeans. For a top I'd wear a nice well-fitted polo shirt in any basic, traditional color -- or a short-sleeved gingham shirt. The most important thing with pulling off a pork-pie hat is having a wardrobe that's very fitted, which is good for you, since you're thin.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladymarmalade
Why, a porkpie hat goes best with sausage pants. Heh heh.
Sausage pants are obviouslyl the first thing I'll be buying when I start getting this new wardrobe together. It was so obvious I didn't even feel the need to mention them in my OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
other colored dress pants (not suit pants)
Is there actually a difference besides cost? And I do mean that seriously, I've never particularly worn much of anything besides jeans. I do have a few pairs of dress pants for job interviews, but is there a significant difference between dress pants and suit pants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
some super fly shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
And super fly shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
and super-fly shoes.
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
If you are very awesome
I'll work my way up to that amount of awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages
- snug, classic blue jeans with a small cuff rolled into them and, if you are bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
Chuck Taylors
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
Clean jeans or khaki's
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
White t-shirt
This is pretty much my wardrobe already. Maybe that's why I'm getting complimented so much.

To be clear though, when you filling_pages and Wordman say "Docs" you're speaking of Doc Martens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
Larry David or Charlie Sheen on their TV shows
Something like this or this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_bolan00
don't wear a light-colored jacket and a dark shirt and tie or you'll look like a mobster.
Is looking like a mobster a bad thing?


Great suggestions so far, especially those sausage pants, keep them coming guys!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Tarwater = ninja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarwater
For a top I'd wear a nice well-fitted polo shirt in any basic, traditional color -- or a short-sleeved gingham shirt.
Is there any difference between a Polo shirt and a Gingham shirt? Besides brand naming of course.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 890
A gingham shirt is a mid-weight cotton shirt with a check pattern. Like this. A polo shirt is a t-shirt with a three-button placket at the collar, like this.. That Fred Perry shirt is a great example of what I mean by "traditional colors" -- anything in a dark navy or gray is usually good. It's also well-fitted. The shoulders on the shirt end at the model's actual shoulders, it's slim around the torso but not tight, and the shirt-sleeves come roughly halfway down the bicep. Compare the color and fit of the Fred Perry shirt to this or this.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 21,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
To be clear though, when you filling_pages and Wordman say "Docs" you're speaking of Doc Martens?
Yes.



Quote:
Something like this or this?
Yes.


Please note - having too many of these things together can bring you dangerously close to the Hipster Douchebag line, which you'd probably rather not cross. The shirts, for instance, can be a bit much with a stingy brim hat, even when I gig. A cool blazer over a t-shirt seems to always work...

Last edited by WordMan; 05-12-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Western Reserve
Posts: 8,378
Aren't all of you people just describing Bruno Mars?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan
Please note - having too many of these things together can bring you dangerously close to the Hipster Douchebag line, which you'd probably rather not cross
I was about to voice my concern over this. No I'd rather not end up as a Hipster Douchebag. That's several miles backwards in being fashionably bad ass.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,061
Zoot suit with a "jazz cigarette" hanging out of your mouth, and dark glasses?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
I have two problems with zoot suits:

1) I think I'm too short for them to look good on, though I'll admit to never having worn one.
2) Zoot suits are hard to pull for "casual" dress.

But yeah, if I can fix 1 and I can find a situation where such a suit would be acceptable, I'd definitely wear a zoot suit. They are indeed bad ass.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Inebriate of air
Moderator
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Near Eskippakithiki
Posts: 11,489
This is how I imagine you, Beezer.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,061
I don't know who that's a picture of, but that fits with the jazz theme for sure, Ellen C
Old 05-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
Psh. My smile is way better than his.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_bolan00 View Post
don't wear a light-colored jacket and a dark shirt and tie or you'll look like a mobster.
I thought that was the whole point of a porkpie hat?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 21,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
I thought that was the whole point of a porkpie hat?
You're thinking of a Fedora. Porkpie = Thelonius Monk / Jazz Cat
Old 05-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 26,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
He looks strikingly similar to Sammy Davis Jr.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
You're thinking of a Fedora.
Naw, I was thinking of Joe Pantoliano in The Sopranos.

Last edited by Fear Itself; 05-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:05 AM
Inebriate of air
Moderator
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Near Eskippakithiki
Posts: 11,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
He looks strikingly similar to Sammy Davis Jr.
It's an Armstrong flooring ad. They have a whole series of them with old celebrity lookalikes with the tag line, "it only looks like the real thing." I love them.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Have we really covered the best suggestions?

If so, anyone care to regale us with some stories of any past or present situations where they were snappily dressed (awesome hat must be included, otherwise you weren't that snappily dressed)?
Old 05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
other colored dress pants (not suit pants)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myself
Is there actually a difference besides cost? And I do mean that seriously, I've never particularly worn much of anything besides jeans. I do have a few pairs of dress pants for job interviews, but is there a significant difference between dress pants and suit pants?
I noticed no one actually answered this, so I figured I'd requote it to see if I can get some clarification. Yes I'm young/naive about such matters.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upper Left Coast
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
- Lose the suspenders...
- Heavy-soled shoes like Doc's, or Chuck Taylors
- Clean jeans or khaki's
- White t-shirt
- Either a dark-colored knit sweater vest - wear just over the t-shirt - or a loose, comfy, plaid blazer - again, just over the t-shirt - or a cool short-sleeve (bowling shirt or the kind worn by Larry David or Charlie Sheen on their TV shows) - or a denim button-down shirt worn as a jacket and left mostly unbuttoned...
- do you wear glasses? Black plastic frames can work...

This is basically what I wear as a gigging guitar player - I have a stingy-brim black hat that works...
No wonder now why I'm not pulling any chicks at my gigs... who knew the bass player shouldn't wear a beanie?
Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 9,891
A porkpie hat is correctly worn with a faded blue seersucker suit, and a card marked "Press" in the hatband. You work as a reporter, but most of your stories wind up spiked because they are all about various monsters that you encounter in the course of your week. Oddly, each week, you encounter different kinds of monsters.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 26,574
Did someone think you were "Popeye" Doyle or something?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Thought of another useful question: where can I find some or most of these items? The blazers and bowling shirts more specifically. Fashionable pants I can find, but blazers and bowling shirts are not things that have ever caught my eye previously so I know pretty much nothing about where to find them.

Obviously the internet would work, but right now I want to be able to try these types of things on at least get a general feel for how they'd fit so I know my size. Can't do that on the internet at this stage just yet.

Already have ordered a pair of Doc Martens, as a nice update to the thread. Related to my previous paragraph, I may have gotten a size off from what I need. I guess we'll see when they get here on Tuesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael
A porkpie hat is correctly worn with a faded blue seersucker suit, and a card marked "Press" in the hatband. You work as a reporter, but most of your stories wind up spiked because they are all about various monsters that you encounter in the course of your week. Oddly, each week, you encounter different kinds of monsters.
I'll see what I can do about a career change.

Also, just want to bring some questions back to focus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Is there actually a difference besides cost? And I do mean that seriously, I've never particularly worn much of anything besides jeans. I do have a few pairs of dress pants for job interviews, but is there a significant difference between dress pants and suit pants?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:32 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,061
Suit pants are dress pants that match more-or-less precisely the jacket of a two-piece suit.

I've found them to be on average a little nicer than most fancy pants, but I have some nice fancy pants as well that didn't come as part of a suit. He may seem like a self-conscious wannabe gangsta stooge, but Marc Ecko (his company, really) makes good stuff for men, like wool dress pants, that has a little bit of flair to it.

I think I got a pretty nice bowling shirt at Ross or Marshall's -- one of those places -- last summer. I love those kinds of places -- good if you just want a flashier pair of shoes or some jeans that would normally be like a hundy over across the way. I'd guess any department store would have anything you'd need or want as well.

Last edited by Jaledin; 05-16-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaledin
He may seem like a self-conscious wannabe gangsta stooge, but Marc Ecko's
Actually, having seen him in multiple interviews, he seems like a very down to Earth guy. Though sometimes his clothes, or maybe the most common people that wear his clothes, give him the image of being a wannabe gangster douche. Marc himself seems to be quite a good guy.

And yeah I figured department stores would likely carry what I'm looking, just was wondering if anywhere specific carried better/larger selections of the sort of stuff we've been discussing.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:49 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 34,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
Thought of another useful question: where can I find some or most of these items? The blazers and bowling shirts more specifically. Fashionable pants I can find, but blazers and bowling shirts are not things that have ever caught my eye previously so I know pretty much nothing about where to find them.
Kohl's usually starts carrying bowling shirts about this time of year. Once you know your size, here is bowling shirt central.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Cheese Coneys
Posts: 16,805
The best clothes to go with a porkpie hat are your traveling, or "goodbye", clothes.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Kohl's usually starts carrying bowling shirts about this time of year. Once you know your size, here is bowling shirt central.
Thank you so much for that link. My bookmarks increase by one.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 21,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
Thank you so much for that link. My bookmarks increase by one.
Oh yeah, sorry; I have bought a few from that website, too...shoulda linked to it. There are a few sites like that. Flyclothing, too: http://flyclothing.com/FlyMen-c-258.html
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,129
Which Docs did you get?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Cape Town, South Africa &
Posts: 21,870
This is a good look
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lethbridge, AB.
Posts: 48,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
I was about to voice my concern over this. No I'd rather not end up as a Hipster Douchebag. That's several miles backwards in being fashionably bad ass.
How do I say this without completely threadshitting - you're starting out with something my husband and I refer to as a "douchehat." I think you have to embrace your inner douche and just go with it.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
How do I say this without completely threadshitting - you're starting out with something my husband and I refer to as a "douchehat." I think you have to embrace your inner douche and just go with it.
Fucking douchebags ruin everything they touch.

It will be my mission to restore the hat to its former glory. A little more seriously, I live in a small enough town to where the Hipster Douchebag scene is either small or completely nonexistant. So with the right combination of class and humility (and lack of bees), I can make this style work and be respectful again.


EDIT:

WordMan: Thanks for that link. Wheels are in motion.

filling_pages: These. Thoughts? The title of the page says "Women's Dr. Martens..." which is disconcerting.

Last edited by Covered_In_Bees!; 05-16-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,129
Classic 3-eyes, then. Good choice. Keep 'em shined!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by filling_pages View Post
Classic 3-eyes, then. Good choice. Keep 'em shined!
I take good care of all of my clothes.


UPDATE: Going to Goodwill later today. Gotta clear out my closet a bit if I'm going to be adding new shirts and pants to the wardrobe, right? Afterwards I'm off to Marshall's and Ross to see if I can at least find a decent shirt in person to get an idea of my size.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
Okay, size is apparently medium. Smalls are too damn restricting. Medium it is for the shirts. Any and all donations are welcome.

A blazer and some pants will have to wait for a few future paychecks to get deposited first before I start looking at those.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,566
I must say, these Docs do not let my feet breathe. Don't have to be wearing them for long before I can tell my feet are sweaty.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,129
Yeah, Docs aren't exactly well vented. There a reason the boots go in the closet from May to September. Make sure you wear decent socks.
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: [email protected]

Send comments about this website to:

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: [email protected].

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: comfort eagle meaning omaha steaks overpriced corp pronunciation fishing wd40 mohawk limberger cheese steam booster strip clue iceland overthrow three eighty sweeney todd toby prostate exam stirrups tiny teen tities prius traction control touching halogen bulbs hawkgirl no mask promark research complaints incest in nature 2x4 menards bacon expiration dates define nutter pronounce odysseus stolen kindle quivering cat tail wilhelm scream copyright eyelid pull taunt paper shredder lubricant farming truffles largest atom grate wall fire cotton dye newark airport code car door lock stuck in lock position scooby doo doors chase cost of titanium per gram what is an ebay watcher oh nicole my sweet nicole electric stove temperature chart substitute for laundry soap sneed's feed and seed how to find leak in air bed how much diphenhydramine can i take at once is undercover boss scripted most popular initials for jewelry can claritin make you drowsy how does a dishwasher work yamaha clavinova clp 820 static shocks from car can alligators be trained grand canyon mule ride weight limit tin-pot dictator mexican wedding cookies wiki why cover license plate on craigslist window air conditioner water drainage when does applebees kitchen close what do safety deposit box keys look like eating moldy rye bread how to fix over churned ice cream the real forrest gump son computer tower with wifi ebay not accepting payment are mailboxes federal property best time to plant willow trees