Old 06-19-2011, 06:00 PM
Most economical way to listen to Sirius/XM radio wirelessly?

What is the most economical way to listen to Sirius/XM radio wirelessly?

I have it in my truck, but I'd like to listen to it while I'm outside as well.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 PM
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can use the app. You have to pay a little bit extra per month, but it works well and is cheaper than another radio, especially one you can carry around in your pocket.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:31 PM
What kind of receiver do you have? Many of the receivers have boombox cradles you can plug them into that run off C-cells or AC power. Or alternatively most of them have home stereo cradles, which would work if you have some sort of outdoor speaker set up. I have a boombox with an old audiovox receiver and an extra antenna that works great-- the boombox usually just sits on top of my stereo receiver plugged into the aux in, but if I want to take it somewhere I just have to unplug it (and scrounge up 8 C-cells). I bought the whole thing (receiver, car kit, boombox) used for $50 and then I bought a home antenna for about $20. It also has the added advantage of making me take the receiver in from the car at night so it doesn't get stolen.

For an extra fee, you can get access to the internet streams that you could listen to with an internet radio device or a smartphone. Although if you go that way, double check that the channels you listen to are offered, since some of them aren't (with no apparent rhyme or reason why).

There's also the portable receivers, like the Sirius Stiletto, that you can just carry around like an Mp3 player, but they're expensive (although sometimes you see some old models on sale for pretty cheap). I have heard the reception on these can be pretty iffy if you're actually moving around, though.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I have a Stiletto and it's a piece of junk. I don't know what they were thinking, but I can't recommend it.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundWaldo View Post
I have a Stiletto and it's a piece of junk. I don't know what they were thinking, but I can't recommend it.
I have heard this almost unanimously. I second the smartphone app, if possible.

Joe
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
If you have an iPhone or Android phone, you can use the app. You have to pay a little bit extra per month, but it works well and is cheaper than another radio, especially one you can carry around in your pocket.
This works on Windows phones too, or at least those running WM 6.5. They offer an app for XM, and I think I'd have to pay a few bucks a month to use it, but I'm not sure. I prefer listening to brick and mortar stations--which takes a workaround or two with a phone that doesn't support Flash, but it can be done.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Quote:
I sent mine right back. It was a real piece of shit.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
OK, so I have to buy some kind of smart phone, subscribe to its monthly service and then pay a little extra for the XM app. So about how much money are we talking about here?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 AM
I believe it's $2.99 a month, which also gives you access to listen on your computer. The app itself is free. And if you have a computer you can listen to in the places you're thinking off, you can skip the smartphone too.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Keep in mind that, with the app, there are some things you will not be able to receive. I think the current list is, baseball games, NFL games (Siruis's NFL channel "should be" available the rest of the time), the NASCAR channel (although this may have changed to just "black out" the live race broadcasts), and Howard Stern.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Keep in mind that, with the app, there are some things you will not be able to receive. I think the current list is, baseball games, NFL games (Siruis's NFL channel "should be" available the rest of the time), the NASCAR channel (although this may have changed to just "black out" the live race broadcasts), and Howard Stern.
I always use it to listen to Howard Stern. Perhaps it matters what package you have. I started with Sirius, and when they merged, I just kept whatever I already got. Maybe if you started with XM, you have to pay extra for the Sirius stuff...

Joe
Old 06-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Charter Member
I have a Sirius Sportster in my truck. It came with an a car radio adapter kit and an in-home dock that plugs into any radio unit you have in the house that has an input jack. Since I pull my Sirius tuner out of the truck every night for security purposes, it's always in my house when I'm not driving. No extra cost. You're paying for each registered tuner, not where you use it.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I want to be outside away from my home and away from my truck and listen.