Old 07-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Narrator of How It's Made-- where is he from?

I ask because he keeps saying 'robits' for robots. He always sounded so accent-less to me before.

Not that finding out where he's from will mean anything. I remember the documentary series called The Dinosaurs which was narrated by Barbara Feldon. She drove me crazy pronouncing it 'DinoSARZ'. She's from Pennsylvania. I know quite a few people from there and they don't pronounce dinosaurs that way. Maybe rural Pennsylvania?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I assume you mean Mark Tewksbury, who is, I think, the only male narrator the show has had. He's from Calgary, Alberta. (The show is Canadian, so you can assume the ladies are all Canadian, too, but I don't know where any of them are from.)
Old 07-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Not as bad as Jack Baur always saying "Weppinn" instead of "Weapon".

Last edited by Candyman74; 07-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Ah, wait, scratch that...I see that the series is dubbed with a new narrator in the US - Brooks Moore, who is from Maryland.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I ask because he keeps saying 'robits' for robots. He always sounded so accent-less to me before.
Annoying as that is, I could give a fuck... I would not have cared if he had called them rabbits. I stopped watching because of the way he pronounced water as "warder". AARRGGGGG!!! It drove me nuts.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Ah, wait, scratch that...I see that the series is dubbed with a new narrator in the US - Brooks Moore, who is from Maryland.
Quote:
He resides in Montgomery County, Maryland and has several children, including his youngest star, Mitchelle.
WTF? Is it a boy Mitch or a girl Michelle?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post

Not that finding out where he's from will mean anything. I remember the documentary series called The Dinosaurs which was narrated by Barbara Feldon. She drove me crazy pronouncing it 'DinoSARZ'. She's from Pennsylvania. I know quite a few people from there and they don't pronounce dinosaurs that way. Maybe rural Pennsylvania?
*hangs head*

I say dinoSARS.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm from rural PA and I've never heard "robits" before. The more interesting regionalisms were "ligg" for "league" or "iggle" for "eagle", "cool" for "coal", and "keller" for "color."
Old 07-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I'm from rural PA and I've never heard "robits" before. The more interesting regionalisms were "ligg" for "league" or "iggle" for "eagle", "cool" for "coal", and "keller" for "color."
And Stillers for Steelers, right?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman74 View Post
Not as bad as Jack Baur always saying "Weppinn" instead of "Weapon".
Wait, how else would you pronounce "weapon"?

Last edited by Indistinguishable; 07-16-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: This isn't a schwa vs. schwi thing, is it?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 AM
BANNED
Dr. Zoidberg says "robits." Maybe it's a Jewish shellfish thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indistinguishable View Post
Wait, how else would you pronounce "weapon"?
I'd pronounce it "weapon". No "i"s in sight.

Don't worry, light-hearted humour about American accents.

Last edited by Candyman74; 07-20-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Quote:
I'd pronounce it "weapon". No "i"s in sight.

http://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weapon

Is that pronunciation "weppin" to you?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Are you watching the Canadian Series or the US-dubbed Series?
(the overuse of US Customary units is the give-away to the US series).

There have been 2 US 'dubbed' narrators:
Brooks T. Moore (Seasons 1-8, 2001–2007, 2008–present)
Zac Fine (2007–2008)

And serveral Canadian narrators (mostly women)
Mark Tewksbury - Season 1 (2001)
Lynn Herzeg [1] - Seasons 2 - 4 (2002–2004)
June Wallack - Season 5 (2005)
Lynne Adams - Season 6 - (2006–present)

The wiki entry may help clarify things - I see they are up to series 17 now.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
I'd pronounce it "weapon".
This is, of course, not helpful to me in understanding how your accent differs from mine.

Quote:
Well, I'm not worried, just curious...

Last edited by Indistinguishable; 07-20-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm sure it's the Brookes guy.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
http://merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weapon

Is that pronunciation "weppin" to you?
Slightly, but not as pronounced as Jack Bauer.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indistinguishable View Post
This is, of course, not helpful to me in understanding how your accent differs from mine.
Sorry, I thought I was making a droll witticism. It didn't work, clearly!

For me it's more "weppun" than "weapin".
Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Brooks T. Moore is currently heard on How It's Made in the US. He has a very distinctive Mid-Atlantic accent. I find it quite distracting when he hits classic M.A. sounds--such at "woutter" for water, or "roawd" for road. This accent can be heard from South Jersey/Eastern PA down as far as Kentucky/Ohio. It is also reproduced in "Valley Girl" talk, from Southern California, oddly enough.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdosain View Post
Dr. Zoidberg says "robits." Maybe it's a Jewish shellfish thing.
My father is not a shellfish, but he is Jewish, and my brothers and I once caught him out saying "robits" instead of "robots". We fell on the floor laughing. Most of his accent was taught to him in classes though, because he was originally hoping to be in TV or radio (and did present a radio show for a while) so he took speech classes to give him a 'neutral' accent instead of the Chicago accent he grew up with.

An interesting clue lies in that a cartoon from Homestar Runner which is supposed to mimic a cartoon from the early era of television pronounces robots as "robits". I wonder if maybe it's just a relic of another era.