Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
How powerful a microscope do you need . . .

. . . if you want to be able to see sperm in semen?

My boyfriend has, in passing, expressed a desire to examine his own sperm under a microscope, and it's never too early to plan for Christmas presents. Unfortunately I know nothing about microscopes. I was surfing around and found some cool-looking USB microscopes - does anyone know anything about those?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 PM
low power. you can see sperm with a hand lens (not well, but you can see it). those cheapo usb scopes should be more than powerful enough.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Charter Member
Microscopes are more about the quality rather than the power overall. The cheap ones sometimes promise high magnification but poor field of view or picture quality even under a lamp. 400x magnification is recommended as the the minimum for good human sperm viewing. I did this experiment myself at a lab in college. I was convinced I was infertile for some reason and proved to myself rather quickly that I was about the opposite and later real life results with kids on demand proved that. Of course someone walked in while I was oogling mine and asked to see what I was looking at. Tell him to be careful. Lab quality microscopes are very expensive for a reason. You might be better off just borrowing one from a school if that is the main reason he wants one.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Charter Member
Now that, my friends, is a committed girlfriend. What to get the boyfriend who has everything in hand?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lFl_h...eature=related
Various videos at 400x and 1000x are available. Seems to be the preferred numbers...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Thanks everyone.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Now that, my friends, is a committed girlfriend. What to get the boyfriend who has everything in hand?
Not much of a girlfriend if it's in his hand.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Most geeky boys probably did this in their youth (right??). I know I did. I just had a cheap scope.

I even stained mine
Old 07-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFloppy View Post
Most geeky boys probably did this in their youth (right??). I know I did. I just had a cheap scope.

I even stained mine
geeky boys had plenty of stains.

what did you use?

p.s. good user name / post combo, it would suggest you put real effort into that experiment.

Last edited by johnpost; 07-22-2011 at 09:30 AM.