Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Breaking Bad 4.02 "Thirty-Eight Snub" 7/24

Open spoilers about discussion of this episode.

We're left with Walt back to working in the superlab. Walt is convinced that Gus still intends to kill them, but Jesse seems to think that maybe Gus has them sufficiently scared as to be obedient and may let them go back to having a working relationship. Which may be true - except that Walt is going to go on the offensive and ruin any chance of that happening, I'd imagine.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Great episode. I was a little worried after what I felt was a stumble coming out of the gate, but this was good. A great improvement over the premiere.

I only wish Mike had truly beat the shit out of Walt. He got off very light considering what he was attempting to do.

EDIT: That opening with Jim Beaver as an arms dealer was fantastic. His character only had a couple minutes of screen time, but those couple minutes were memorable.

Last edited by Tarwater; 07-24-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
I certainly enjoyed eps 1 and 2 of this season, but I'm starting to feel a bit...restless.

The only real event that has happened in these two episodes has been
SPOILER:
Gus's shocking murder of Victor

I appreciate the slow burn BB is building this season, and the two episodes so far this season have been good, but I'm really hoping for some actual plot movement next week.

That said, I loved the scene tonight with Walt and the gun dealer.

Also Jesse's near weeping, then hardening into dead-eyed stare that closed the episode. Seriously, seriously, that was some good acting.

Last edited by GameHat; 07-24-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Charter Member
Well, it looks like Hank will get jerked back to the real world and out of self-pity mode next ep, which is good since at this point I'm wishing he and his wife would just slit their respective wrists.

Jesse is in a serious downward spiral to depression and re-addiction after witnessing the murder of Victor and pulling his own trigger. Can he be flipped by the DEA?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarwater View Post
EDIT: That opening with Jim Beaver as an arms dealer was fantastic. His character only had a couple minutes of screen time, but those couple minutes were memorable.
You mean Straight Dope poster Jim Beaver, of course.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Great episode. I was a little worried after what I felt was a stumble coming out of the gate, but this was good. A great improvement over the premiere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHat View Post
I certainly enjoyed eps 1 and 2 of this season, but I'm starting to feel a bit...restless.

I appreciate the slow burn BB is building this season, and the two episodes so far this season have been good, but I'm really hoping for some actual plot movement next week.
I so do not get you people at all. You are living on a different BB planet than I am, that's for damn sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
You mean Straight Dope poster Jim Beaver, of course.
Whom I kinda freaked out... I answered his add a couple of years ago giving away moving boxes. I told him I was a Doper and I remembered his posting here. He was nice but a little freaked that someone would know him from Deadwood AND the Dope and be standing in his yard.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
I so do not get you people at all. You are living on a different BB planet than I am, that's for damn sure.
I'm probably coming from a different place - I watched all of season 3 in a marathon run over a weekend shortly before season 4 premiered. So the slower episodes went down easy because I could just queue up the next. That said, the only episode from S3 I thought was weak was "Fly", though even that episode had some heart-breaking moments ("Jesse, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about Jane ... I mean, I'm very sorry.") Great scene, great moment between Walt and Jesse, but still - the ep was slow and didn't do much else.

I'm not saying I didn't think the S4 episodes were good, I'd just like the plot to move a bit. I can only take so many artfully shot scenes of silence and tension. S4 has built up well so far, now let's see where it will take the characters.

Last edited by GameHat; 07-25-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:54 AM
Charter Member
Season 3 started off relatively slowly too, and then tore my face clean off.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 AM
You can't go wrong with Jim Beaver. I think he could play the lead in Agnes of God and be convincing.

I love the "black holy" effect of Jesse and the woofer. No idea if it was deliberate or not.

What's up with Walt and the rocksminerals? He did mention one was blue, but I can't imagine what blue crystals would tell him about blue crystal meth.

I don't think Breaking Bad would do this, but I hope Mike doesn't have the Incurable Cough of Death (TV Trope link: a character coughs in one scene, reveals they're terminally ill two scenes later then dies when inconvenient).

Gus had three words ("Go home Walter") and no face time tonight but still managed to be chilling. The age of GPS sort of puts an end to the effectiveness of parking around the corner.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Charter Member
Was that Gus on the phone? I wasn't sure. The voice was ambiguous. I thought maybe it was the new Victor keeping watch on Gus' place.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:17 AM
I thought it was Gus.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 AM
It was definitely Gus.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Skyler really doesn't get the "telephones can be listened in on and the evidence used against you in a court of law" (or by scarier entities than law enforcement) does she?

Why is Hank being such a dick to Marie? I get that he's suffering/mad/scared and all that, but she could hardly be a better wife to him right now.

Last edited by Sampiro; 07-25-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 AM
Quote:
I thought maybe it was the new Victor keeping watch on Gus' place.
I'm thinking the same thing. It sounds only vaguely like Gus, and it sounds nothing like Mike. You can hear it again in this this video (Inside Breaking Bad: Thirty-Eight Snub). It's either the new Victor, or it's some henchman that we haven't seen before.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
Skyler really doesn't get the "telephones can be listened in on and the evidence used against you in a court of law" (or by scarier entities than law enforcement) does she?
She wasn't saying anything incriminating, though. Saul was justified in acting skittish when she was blabbing about the actual meth operation, but talking about buying the car wash isn't something she'd have to keep secret. It's just Walt, totally not knowing what the fuck he's doing, which, now that I think about it, sort of sums up the entire episode. Walt not knowing how to carry a gun; Walt mistaking the new Victor for Gus; Walt thinking he can just roll up on Gus' house; Walt thinking he can convince Mike to roll over on Gus.

Quote:
Why is Hank being such a dick to Marie? I get that he's suffering/mad/scared and all that, but she could hardly be a better wife to him right now.
Her interaction with Hank following the departure of the physical aid therapist was as heart-breaking as anything I've seen from the show. She so clearly wanted to support him, and he shut her down in about the coldest way possible.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Hank's filled with self-pity right now. That's surely the source of his bitterness. He was always the big protector in the family and now he can barely walk. Next week it looks like he'll get something to jar him out of his funk and back to realiity.

The point about this season starting a bit slower is not without some truth. You gotta remember that Season 3 started with the Hit Brothers. Between them and Hank working hard to track down Heisenberg there was a constant element of danger to Walter for just about the whole season. So far the biggest danger to Walter is Gus and that threat got defused after Victor was taken out. To me, the most exciting scene in this latest episode was when Walter became Heisenberg (you can see the transformation in his face) and then headed straight to Gus' house to take care of business. What suspense! We know that Walter's life is still in peril, but we don't get the same level of apprehension or edginess because we know that Walter will be fine until Gus finds a replacement for him. When they put Hank back on the hunt for Heisenberg that'll add some suspense for the show.

Thirty-Eight Snub is an excellent episode. It showed Walter trying to take matters into his own hands and getting slapped down, Jesse spiraling down a rat hole again, and other meaty developments for the other characters.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 AM
Charter Member
For a while now I've been saying to friends and family, "why are they just assuming that Bogdan will sell the carwash?" They're making all of these plans for laundering money through the carwash and they haven't even approached the guy yet!

So tonight my concerns were vindicated.

On a different subject, last week Hank's interest in mineral crystals seemed harmless albeit uncomfortably similar to his previous pursuit of meth crystals, but now it's become an uncomfortable to watch (at least for me) obsession; with 15 or 20 boxes of rocks being delivered in one day.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Charter Member
If you guys wouldn't mind, I'd like to make a request to put stuff about next week's previews in spoiler boxes. I avoid the previews and I know a lot of people do because they're made by the marketing team and not the writers, so they're often either misleading or they give spoilers. Either way it hampers the enjoyment of the next show. I'm not asking you not to post about them, but just for the stuff relating to the previews for the next episode please use a spoiler box. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Quote:
I'm thinking the same thing. It sounds only vaguely like Gus, and it sounds nothing like Mike. You can hear it again in this this video (Inside Breaking Bad: Thirty-Eight Snub). It's either the new Victor, or it's some henchman that we haven't seen before.
Definitely sounded like Gus to me.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 AM
it sounded like new victor, to me anyway.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
What's up with Walt and the rocksminerals? He did mention one was blue, but I can't imagine what blue crystals would tell him about blue crystal meth.
You mean Hank, of course. Hank is in self-pity mode, big time. He's bored out of his skull, so has taken up a "hobby" to pass the time, obsessing over buying up rocks on ebay so he doesn't have to think about his situation. If he ever re-engages in the hunt for the meth lab, those boxes will sit unopened.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
It was Mike that called Walt and said "Go home, Walter" - which is what I thought at the time, until I read this thread and you people started making me doubt it. So I checked the Episode Recap on AMC's website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC
Late that night, Walt approaches Gus's house, gun in hand, but loses his nerve when Mike calls telling him to "Go home, Walter." His every move is being watched.
http://amctv.com/shows/breaking-...rty-eight-snub

Last edited by voltaire; 07-25-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
For a while now I've been saying to friends and family, "why are they just assuming that Bogdan will sell the carwash?"
Oh, is that his name? We’ve been referring to him as “Fuck your eyebrows!”

I’ve been wondering about Hank’s treatment of Marie too. Were he my husband, he’d be struggling to remove his minerals from his rectum by now.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
I don't think Breaking Bad would do this, but I hope Mike doesn't have the Incurable Cough of Death (TV Trope link: a character coughs in one scene, reveals they're terminally ill two scenes later then dies when inconvenient).
I thought the same thing... But I could see them going that way without it feeling too cliche. Maybe he and Walt can bond over how their illnesses caused them to "break bad." I do think that Mike is eventually going to come around to Walt's way of thinking and at some point will get him in a room with him. For sure that .38 Snub will get used in the 3rd act. Jim Beaver's character should have been named "Chekhov."

Quote:
I thought it was Gus. It was either him or Mike, but for sure not the new guy. Walt recognized the caller when he looked at the phone, which is why he hesitated when he answered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
It was Mike that called Walt and said "Go home, Walter" - which is what I thought at the time, until I read this thread and you people started making me doubt it. So I checked the Episode Recap on AMC's website.
http://amctv.com/shows/breaking-...rty-eight-snub
Well there you go (though network recappers are notoriously misinformed about the shows they're writing about), I'll believe them unless we hear otherwise.

So Mike trailed Walt to Gus' house, right?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Quote:
I thought it was Gus. It was either him or Mike, but for sure not the new guy. Walt recognized the caller when he looked at the phone, which is why he hesitated when he answered it.

Well there you go (though network recappers are notoriously misinformed about the shows they're writing about), I'll believe them unless we hear otherwise.

So Mike trailed Walt to Gus' house, right?
Yeah, and that fits. Mike said in the bar that he saw that Walt had been packing heat while in the lab.

Had it been Gus that called Walter, it would make very little sense for him to simply say "Go home, Walter" and not react MUCH more forcefully.

Also, Walt's later action of following Mike to the bar to have a heart-to-heart is consistent with him being caught in the act by Mike. Walt would have been MUCH more freaked out had he been called by Gus, and he wouldn't be still proposing that Mike get him in a room alone with Gus. If it had been Gus on the phone, Walt would know that Gus would be expecting some treachery.

100% it was Mike on the phone.

Last edited by voltaire; 07-25-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Oh, is that his name? We’ve been referring to him as “Fuck your eyebrows!”

I’ve been wondering about Hank’s treatment of Marie too. Were he my husband, he’d be struggling to remove his minerals from his rectum by now.
That's part of what makes the situation so dysfunctional. Marie is trying to be nice and supportive because Hank's obviously been through hell. But she's taking it way too far and turning into a doormat. Hopefully she'll eventually call him on it and the emotional logjam will break.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
For a while now I've been saying to friends and family, "why are they just assuming that Bogdan will sell the carwash?" They're making all of these plans for laundering money through the carwash and they haven't even approached the guy yet!

So tonight my concerns were vindicated.
Right.

I assume that buying the laser-tag arena is still an option. We haven't heard otherwise, have we?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
That's part of what makes the situation so dysfunctional. Marie is trying to be nice and supportive because Hank's obviously been through hell. But she's taking it way too far and turning into a doormat. Hopefully she'll eventually call him on it and the emotional logjam will break.
I certainly hope so, because his (to me) completely unwarranted emotional abuse of her is getting out of hand. I honestly can't recall anything that she's done or said (I know she had a bit of kleptomania in earlier seasons) recently that justifies him acting like such an ass. More than likely, it's a lot of marital issues that have been magnified due to his condition, but that doesn't mean he gets to have a 24/7 pity party and be a complete dick to the woman who loves him enough to wipe his ass and clean out his bedpan every day.

On the other hand, I got chills watching Jesse break down after his party was over. Just magnificent acting. Very excited about the rest of this season.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca
Jim Beaver's character should have been named "Chekhov."

I was sort of hoping they'd call him Bobby for his character on Supernatural. (He has to make the money to build demon-bunkers in his basement somehow.)
Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytegeist View Post
Right.

I assume that buying the laser-tag arena is still an option. We haven't heard otherwise, have we?
I'm wondering if Walt will try to make Bogdan an "offer he can't refuse" or even worse, decide to simply eliminate him from the picture. That hydrofluoric acid is useful stuff.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytegeist View Post
Right.

I don't understand why she's so gung-ho on the carwash. For money laundering you want a business that does lots of cash business- bars, convenience stores, check cashing places, etc.. I'd think more people today would pay for a custom carwash with debit card than with cash.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I don't understand why she's so gung-ho on the carwash. For money laundering you want a business that does lots of cash business- bars, convenience stores, check cashing places, etc.. I'd think more people today would pay for a custom carwash with debit card than with cash.
She gave her reasoning for preferring the carwash. Walt used to work there so he's somewhat familiar with the business. It wouldn't look as strange as it would if he suddenly bought, for example, a laser tag arena.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM
"We don't cut the pizza and pass the savings on to you!". Now thats funny.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
Then they're going on about man hours and how many seconds it takes to cut a pizza.

Jessie: "What am I going to do with this?"
Skinny Pete: "Ya got some scissors?"
Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
With places like bars and convenience stores, can't you keep track of their earning capacity by counting the number of supplies they sell?

For a decent money laundering operation you would need something that sells services instead of goods. That way no one would know how many sales you've made unless they sit outside your business all day and count.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHat View Post
Also Jesse's near weeping, then hardening into dead-eyed stare that closed the episode. Seriously, seriously, that was some good acting.
And yet again a perfect song to end it, the Honey Claws' Digital Animal.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakai View Post
With places like bars and convenience stores, can't you keep track of their earning capacity by counting the number of supplies they sell?
Yeah, but as long as it's independently owned you can take a lot of overpriced Vienna sausages and Red Bull to a dumpster and claim they were sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakai
For a decent money laundering operation you would need something that sells services instead of goods. That way no one would know how many sales you've made unless they sit outside your business all day and count.
For Walt, "consulting work" would be a great way to launder it if he could convince some organization or even set up a dummy company to pay him to consult on chemical matters.

I think Mike had some respect for Walt, or at least understood his motives, after Gale was killed, but Walt botched that in the bar. It was a stupid (but I guess believable) thing for an intelligent guy to do: "I want to kill one of the most powerful and ruthless men in the southwest and want you to help me".

As I've mentioned before I've yet to accurately predict anything on the show, but I still see this one moving towards Walt turning state's evidence in the final episodes.

I wonder if there's been an upswing in porkpie hat sales since this show began.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM
It seemed to me Mike is pretty worried about his position in Gus's organization. Victor's death proved the muscle aren't indispensable whereas the cookers are. Mike isn't one to make broad, disrupting moves on a moments thought, so for now he's sticking with Gus, but I expect that to change as the Season progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
She gave her reasoning for preferring the carwash. Walt used to work there so he's somewhat familiar with the business. It wouldn't look as strange as it would if he suddenly bought, for example, a laser tag arena.
I understand the reasoning for buying a carwash, but I don't understand why it has to be that one. Surely, any carwash would do, and it seems that it would be better to have one where the workers don't know Walt and his history.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prox View Post
It seemed to me Mike is pretty worried about his position in Gus's organization. Victor's death proved the muscle aren't indispensable whereas the cookers are. Mike isn't one to make broad, disrupting moves on a moments thought, so for now he's sticking with Gus, but I expect that to change as the Season progresses.

I understand the reasoning for buying a carwash, but I don't understand why it has to be that one. Surely, any carwash would do, and it seems that it would be better to have one where the workers don't know Walt and his history.

Why? Makes perfect sense to me that when a man who has struggled and been beaten down and shamed his about his money situation his whole life finally hits it big, that's exactly what he'd want to do: OWN the place where he felt so shamed.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish678 View Post
And a nice nod to the people who complained about Walt throwing the pizza on the roof last season w/o it falling apart in mid-air.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
Just for the record, the quote you attributed to Sampiro was in fact mine. I think her point was that Walt was familiar with that business, not car washes in general. Mind you, I'm not saying that her reasoning was rock solid. I'm just saying that that was her reasoning.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
I think Mike had some respect for Walt, or at least understood his motives, after Gale was killed, but Walt botched that in the bar. It was a stupid (but I guess believable) thing for an intelligent guy to do: "I want to kill one of the most powerful and ruthless men in the southwest and want you to help me".
I'm not convinced that Walt did botch it. Mike beating him is not necessarily a refusal of his proposal. It can be explained by Mike being angry about Walt upsetting the balance of what was once a good thing, getting Victor killed, and now putting him into a dangerous position with an uncertain future.

From Mike's point of view, Walt had it easy with his job and was being paid a lot more than he was for doing all the dirty work. In my mind, Mike is mad at Walt because he knows that Walt is right. Gus has to go, and it's probably going to be Mike that's going to have to do that dirty deed, too.

But yeah, I could be completely wrong, and I love that fact.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Whoops, sorry about the misattribution.

I guess that makes sense about the car wash. After all, this episode was the first one where a road block to that particular one showed up. I have to keep reminding myself it's only been a couple a days since Skylar decided they should go with the car wash.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm finding the Hank and Marie dynamic to be pretty believable, actually. Painful and heartbreaking, yes, but believable.

Hank's in the lowest and most vulnerable place of his life right now, and Marie is there for every moment of it. That in and of itself is going to lead to irrational resentment. Also, Marie's attempts to be helpful and supportive to her husband are actually causing her to behave very differently than she did before. So now Hank has this double whammy: His invalidity has made the woman he married disappear, and this new woman who is somehow both sycophantic and condescending has taken her place.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM
Complete speculation here, but what if Mike has already killed Gus and quietly taken over the operation? That would neatly explain the timing of his call to Walt (he was is Gus's house) and that bit of dried blood Mike cleaned off his cuff in the open. It's also possible to read his comment "You'll never see Gus again" and the scare-him-off beatdown in the bar as concealing something more sinister.

It's a crazy idea, and I'm not sure I buy it yet. But if true, it's to Mike's advantage to have Walt and Jesse think Gus is still alive...
Old 07-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Charter Member
Hank is wallowing in self-pity, and Marie is talking to him like he's a baby taking his first steps. She irritated me when he finished walking from the bathroom. A simple 'good on'ya' is fine. She was too over the top and a grown man does not want to be talked to like a toddler in a walker. Just because he is as powerless as a baby does not mean he should be treated like one.

That said, she has been very caring and helpful, and though wallowing in self pity, I hope he realizes that she has it hard too.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
And a nice nod to the people who complained about Walt throwing the pizza on the roof last season w/o it falling apart in mid-air.
I never even thought of that! Although, to be fair, he threw the box, the pizza slid out, and a pizza that has gotten cold could/would easily stick together in a situation like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
I'm not convinced that Walt did botch it. Mike beating him is not necessarily a refusal of his proposal. It can be explained by Mike being angry about Walt upsetting the balance of what was once a good thing, getting Victor killed, and now putting him into a dangerous position with an uncertain future.

From Mike's point of view, Walt had it easy with his job and was being paid a lot more than he was for doing all the dirty work. In my mind, Mike is mad at Walt because he knows that Walt is right. Gus has to go, and it's probably going to be Mike that's going to have to do that dirty deed, too.

But yeah, I could be completely wrong, and I love that fact.
I think you are exactly right across the board. Because I think that's exactly what Mike's face has been telling us over both episodes, every time the camera is on him. And the directors and writers of BB don't do anything without a reason, and Mike's face has been prominently featured, with all that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ* View Post
Complete speculation here, but what if Mike has already killed Gus and quietly taken over the operation? That would neatly explain the timing of his call to Walt (he was is Gus's house) and that bit of dried blood Mike cleaned off his cuff in the open. It's also possible to read his comment "You'll never see Gus again" and the scare-him-off beatdown in the bar as concealing something more sinister.

It's a crazy idea, and I'm not sure I buy it yet. But if true, it's to Mike's advantage to have Walt and Jesse think Gus is still alive...
My instant reaction to your first sentence was "Dont' be ridiculous", but I have to give it to you for following it with a pretty decent case! I still dont' think so, but good job!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Marie is totally going to bang the physical therapy dude by season's end.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ* View Post

Oh, man. Excellent speculation and backed up with proof, to boot! I like it a lot.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:07 PM
Charter Member
Gus is a pillar of the community and owns a multi-franchise business, so his death wouldn't be quiet for long. Considering how much the drug distribution is tied up with the chicken business, it's hard to believe Mike could quietly take over.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 07-25-2011 at 07:07 PM.