Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
Popcorn expiration date

Remember Jiffy Pop? Well, I'm cleaning up the ol' bachelor pad because I'm taking a week's vacation for R&R&S (Rest, Relaxation, and Sanity). I discovered in my cupboard one pan of Jiffy Pop. The expiration date specifically says, "Best by May 30, 2011."

Okay, so it's July 30, 2011 now and I'm willing to accept less than best. Is it still within the window of safe eating?

Last edited by Monty; 07-29-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 PM
Charter Member
I'd pop it. Honestly, it can't be that bad. At worst, it's stale.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Remember Jiffy Pop? Well, I'm cleaning up the ol' bachelor pad because I'm taking a week's vacation for R&R&S (Rest, Relaxation, and Sanity). I discovered in my cupboard one pan of Jiffy Pop. The expiration date specifically says, "Best by May 30, 2011."

Okay, so it's July 30, 2011 now and I'm willing to accept less than best. Is it still within the window of safe eating?
Still safe. The "Best By" date has nothing to do with spoilage but that the food will still has the taste, texture and other characteristics as intended by the manufacturer.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
This is the kind with butter (or whatever ConAgra calls butter flavoring) already in it. Thanks for the responses. A Korean friend has never even seen the stuff before and she wants to try it.

One episode of Married...with Children had Jiffy pop, years past its expiration date.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 AM
I would pop it. Part of the thing with popcorn is the moisture inside the kernel, needed to make it pop. The older it gets, the more that moisture leaves and the less likely you are to get it to pop. You're just more likely to get fewer kernels popped and possibly have it burn more easily, the older it gets.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Last Christmas received some popcorn package that says best by 2002. We popped it the other night. It didn't pop so well, but it was fine to eat.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Two months? ISTR some archaeologists opening an Egyptian tomb and finding some emmer wheat that was still able to sprout. "...a [month] is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a [month]."
Old 07-30-2011, 11:16 AM
you can rehydrate old kernels. place in a jar with a small amount of water on the bottom, let sit for a day or two.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpost View Post
you can rehydrate old kernels. place in a jar with a small amount of water on the bottom, let sit for a day or two.
Just to clarify:small amount as in a tablespoon, shake well to distribute.