Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Do you wear lobster bibs?

Pretty straighforward question.

Obviously this only applies if you regularly eat lobsters or other juicy crustaceans.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Charter Member
Don't get to eat them recently, but stopped using the bibs 30 years ago. Of course I don't wear $100 shits either. It'll come out in the wash.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
No. I usually eat lobster at home outside though, not in restaurants. I've gotten pretty good at keeping the lobster juice off myself.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
Don't get to eat them recently, but stopped using the bibs 30 years ago. Of course I don't wear $100 shits either. It'll come out in the wash.
You are eating at the wrong restaurants.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
I've gotten pretty good at keeping the lobster juice off myself.
Me too. It's the people around me that need to worry about their $100 shits.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Charter Member
I now cannot get the image of Mr. Creosote out of my head.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Charter Member
Used to -- it was part of the ritual -- but I never order lobster in a restaurant any more.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM
I go to a lobster restaurant about once a year, and yes, I wear a bib. Everyone else who orders lobster there does.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swords to Plowshares View Post
I go to a lobster restaurant about once a year, and yes, I wear a bib. Everyone else who orders lobster there does.
The other night I was at a restaurant on what turned out to be lobster night. About half of the people there were wearing them.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I live in Maine. I know from lobster bibs.

Here's the thing ... lobster bibs are for tourists. There is no function to them whatsoever, except that it makes it easier for non-tourists (and other normal people who don't make it a habit of dribbling all over themselves when they eat) to make fun of said tourists behind their backs ... especially if they're having their picture taken while wearing one, holding up a lobster claw and giving a big thumbs up and a cheesy grin for the camera.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
No, but I'm very fond of those terry-cloth tennis wrist bands. I've never wasted any lobster meat by dropping it on myself, but I despise that feeling of the juice dripping down toward my elbows.

Nut crackers and tennis wristbands are de rigeur for us when we sit down to a feast. (Dad is from New Hampshire, so we are very serious about our lobster feasts!)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFidelius View Post
You are eating at the wrong restaurants.
You're right! I must have been thinking of my experience at a BBQ place in South Florida.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm wearing one right now.

No pants, though. It's damn hot in this library.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Here's the thing ... lobster bibs are for tourists. There is no function to them whatsoever, except that it makes it easier for non-tourists (and other normal people who don't make it a habit of dribbling all over themselves when they eat) to make fun of said tourists behind their backs ...
Like it's not easy enough to laugh at the ones that pry a bit of meat out of the tail, then dump the entire thing into the waste bucket... (One of my favorite restaurants in Maine now splits the lobsters open with a knife before serving; I have to practically beg to get an unmolested lobster.)

I've never worn the bib, though I'll typically save them over the course of a vacation to keep track of the number of lobsters eastern.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM
If someone would take me out for lobster, I would wear ONLY a lobster bib, and 5" heels.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
If someone would take me out for lobster, I would wear ONLY a lobster bib, and 5" heels.
Oh baby, I would do such sexy things to you, if my mind were not filled with thoughts of Bryan Ekers. What can I say, he's got a library card.

And 6" heels.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I've never worn the bib, though I'll typically save them over the course of a vacation to keep track of the number of lobsters eastern.
I've never eaten a lobster western. I understand they look like giant cockroaches and have tasty tailmeat.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Me too. It's the people around me that need to worry about their $100 shits.
Favorite typo today!

I've actually never had lobster, but am a crab fanatic. I was IMMENSELY proud of myself a few months ago, when I went to a crab feast, dressed nicely for my sweetie, drank quite a bit of wine, wore no bib, tore my way through 6 crabs...and got home to find my outfit was spotless.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomist View Post
Favorite typo today!

I've actually never had lobster, but am a crab fanatic. I was IMMENSELY proud of myself a few months ago, when I went to a crab feast, dressed nicely for my sweetie, drank quite a bit of wine, wore no bib, tore my way through 6 crabs...and got home to find my outfit was spotless.
Forget the very sexy Bryan Ekers. I'm in love.

Last edited by tdn; 08-01-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
I've never eaten a lobster western. I understand they look like giant cockroaches and have tasty tailmeat.

(Obviously, that should have been "eaten". That's what I get for getting too comfortable with Swype.)
Old 08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
I would commit bloody murder for some king crab right now. I haven't had lobster since New Year's 2000, mostly because in restaurants I can't pass up crab for lobster. But man, would I like to have some again.
I'm an expert crab deconstructionist, too. I almost never use the cracker, and instead wield a fork expertly and split open the shells. I almost always get the meat out in one giant delicious piece.
Mmmmmm crabsssss
Old 08-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I don't order lobster, because crab is better. I am convinced the only reason why people like lobster is because it costs so much and so they think it tastes good. The meat is too tough. Crab is far better. Better texture, better taste.