Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
I like Durarara!...but what's it about?

What is Durarara! For those that don't know what I'm talking about it's a show that comes on Adult Swim after Bleach....but what is it about? I mean, I get it's got a Headless Rider (who's also a hot chick , weird I know), there's strange baddass dudes that everyone's afraid of , and some gangs (like the Dollars) that no one wants to mess with, but again, what's it about? There's some kid that seems to be a recurring character (he wasn't in the last episode I don't think though), the Headless Rider is in all of them I think (even had one episode all about her), but everything and everyone in the show is bizarre and obscure, almost as if they'll eventually tie some stuff together and make some connections or something, but haven't yet.

I like the show, each episode is somewhat interesting (some more than others), but even they are often as obsure as the show itself. If the show is just about the weird stuff that goes on in that city, that's cool, and if it's just about life in general or something, that's cool too, BUT WHAT IS IT ABOUT?!?

Oh, and if you're someone that likes anything other than the Anime that AS plays, please leave a statement to explain yourself, I'd really like to know if there are actually people out there that watch that garbage, and why.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:58 PM
MiliCal introduced me to this show. She's apparently seen all the episodes before on the Internet (with English subtitles). I think that they're actually doing a good job of tying things together, and giving the characters a surprising amount of depth. She says they tie it all together at the end.

Perhaps you've missed an episode or two. They've alreadyt explained that the Headless Rider is a character from Irish mythology -- a Dullahan, which normally rides a horse. But she came over on a freighter, and her horse has been mysically transformed into a motorcycle. She's looking for her head (which we glimpsed in last week's episode).

Here's a description with spoiler alerts:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Durarara

Here's info, but don't read it if you donb't want it spoiled:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durarara!!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I went on and checked out details of the series, and I discovered the following:

I have no clue what the heck it's about, if anything.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I got the Irish mythology part and all that, but so far in the series it hasn't explained much beyond that. Cool that eventually starts tieing things together though, I'm not checking either of those links for fear of the spoilers .

Smiling bandit, of course you'd say that, I've been on this forum long enough at least to have become acquainted with your antics...but you're probably right, wahahaha!

Last edited by Bosstrain; 08-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstrain View Post
Oh, and if you're someone that likes anything other than the Anime that AS plays, please leave a statement to explain yourself, I'd really like to know if there are actually people out there that watch that garbage, and why.
Other people have different tastes. That's my explaination.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
Other people have different tastes. That's my explaination.
Still, aren't you worried about a generation that accepts Metalocalypse as entertainment, and for that matter, ATHF....I have to control my gag reflex when I see Tim and Eric in the line-up, and don't get me started on RC...do I need to take this to the Pit?

BTW, explanation only has one 'i'....Drinky Crow fan!

Actually I don't have such a problem with the people that watch these shows, mostly my beef is with those that produce such content, and I'm curious as to why we Americans allow them to get away with it. AS used to play nice shows, like Futurama, and more Anime, but not anymore....
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok, I have misunderstood your statement. I took it as "only the anime that AS plays is good anime" instead of what I now think you were saying, which is "on AS, only the anime is worth watching, everything else on AS is not"

I too hate Metalocalypes and Aqua Teen and Venture Brothers and all those weird shows.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
"on AS, only the anime is worth watching, everything else on AS is not"

I too hate Metalocalypes and Aqua Teen and Venture Brothers and all those weird shows.
A brother in Arms, finally someone who understands my plight....let us bring down vengeance on them, comrade!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 PM
I think at least 75 percent of what AS shows is crap, which blows me away as I genuinely like most of the shows mentioned above as being 'weird'. I've never been into comic art, or anime, but a couple I found on AS I've really loved. Um, ok well, two, really, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. The live action stuff on AS is CRAP, to me anyway. Venture Brothers, I like. ATHF I like in general but won't go out of my way to watch it. The ads for Durararararararadolalalaloooo whatever actually look interesting to me, and I don't know why. But now I'll have to watch one!
Oh, and Metalocalypse rules. It's totally juvenile, I hate toilet humour, I am female and *really* enjoy subtle wit, and for some reason I just really like Metalocalypse anyway. Haven't quite figured that one out, but when I do, I will donate generously to the Dethclock Home for Wayward Kitties.

Last edited by Taomist; 08-01-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Still, aren't you worried about a generation that accepts Metalocalypse as entertainment
Greatest show ever on television! EVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstrain
and for that matter, ATHF
A close second! Who can forget the classic line from Dr. Weird: "IT BEGINS!"
Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Is it weird that the conversation has moved to a general discussion of AS?...Well, I guess that's my fault for bashing them, isn't it. While we're on the subject, though, I must say that my respect for the world (or at least the USA) has dropped considerably. In my wildest dreams I never expected a woman to stoop to the level of an adolescent male...at least you're questioning your own desire to watch, leaves a small hope for humanity.

I'm not even touching the other post about Metalocalypse being the best......I'm often ashamed to admit I share the same gender with those that invented the spit-ball...

Okay, now that that's done, can we move on to where we start a campaign to force AS to play more ANIME.....Wahahaha, my evil plan now emerges.

Durarara is cool, hard to follow, but cool, I do like shows that make me pay attention though. Some time ago AS was saying something about how they were going to drop a couple anime shows and add a few more. I figured they'd let go of Bebop, Inuyasha or Fullmetal, but so far I haven't seen them stop playing anything, and just added Durarara and FLCL. Fooly Cooly seems silly 'cause it's only six episodes, more like an anime movie that got broken up, so that leaves just the one that's actually a serious addition IMO. Of course, no one can forget Bleach, it will always reign supreme in the AS line-up and has been for a while, they even used to play 2 new episodes Sat. night. So what's the deal, is Durarara the only one they're gonna' add? Any thoughts or information on that?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
just added Durarara and FLCL.
FLCL is more of a re-broadcast. They first showed it....5? 6? years ago. It still gets decent ratings, apparently. They bring it back every year or so. I think the latest re-broadcast was triggered by the recent Blu-Ray release.

They added Kekkaishi in the last year, as well as Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (which is distinctly different from the first FMA). These were part of the announcement of the new shows to be added.

There was (is?) a section on their webpage that strongly hinted they also have the rights to "Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt".

I wouldn't worry about whether or not they'll add more anime. That's a virtual certainty. They add a show or two each year. Whether or not they're any good is entirely a different question.

As for DRRR, it's apparently influenced by the Chinese "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" but loosely, as the original didn't involve Irish folk monsters. If you've been paying close attention, some of the elements from the first few episodes start playing into the rest of the story and seemingly separate plot threads start merging.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot Kekkaishi completely, that's right.

As far as Brotherhood, I watched a few episodes and it seemed like I'd seen them before....maybe 'cause I've seen so much FMA it's all running together in my head, I've probably also gotten burned out with the ongoing: "We want our bodies back!" line.

Well, Durarara's OK in my book, especially if it's just spinning off in different ways that haven't fully developed yet from what I've seen so far. I like the atmosphere it puts off, kind of a modern set Champloo and an electric guitar with a funky fret (weird description I know, but it fits sorta').

Speaking of guitars, I remember a long time ago there was a show on AS where there was some kid with twin Uzi's and a crazy chick (like the FLCL girl) with a guitar that shot stuff when she played it. I think AS stopped showing it 'cause they said the show was going no where, but I'd still like to know what it was so I can prove that my brother and I aren't crazy (I was always half asleep whenever it came on, and he said he only caught glimpses if anything, but we know it exists ).

Last edited by Bosstrain; 08-02-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:35 PM
You're weird. Metalocalypse is fantastic. It's OK, you just don't know any better. ATHF is pretty awesome as well. And I'm a gal-type, too.

I can't be bothered with anime. I've tried some of it, but it's just nothing that has ever grabbed me. Different strokes, and all that - keeps the world interesting, right?

Last edited by Snickers; 08-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Metalocalypse is awesome! and so is the music. I saw Deathclock in concert two years ago in downtown Lawrence, KS. Siolent Green opened for them, now I'm a SG fan as well. ATHF was a pretty good show but now that it's AUPS1, not so much. Can't comment on the anime in AS. I wach all my anime on DVD with subtitles; can't stand dubs. YMMV
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 PM
....Um....your name is Methyl Ethyl Death......that's MED.....as in you need some.....meds I mean....plus I've never trusted a Snickers bar in my life, why should I start now when I've been healthy so far?.....Bwahahahaha

In all seriousness, though, the reason I don't like those shows is because they're gross, and I can't stand for anything that's purely about death, or at least is heavily focused on it, same goes for that new show on CC: Ugly Americans. The name is even offensive, and not just because anyone on the North or South American continents is American, but also because it immediately implies that Americans are ugly (I realize it's only referring to the ones in the show that are).

Now, I've given a detailed description of why I don't like the shows (I can give more if you like), so now somebody please tell me why you do like them. I can accept different tastes, I'm mostly wanting an insight into said taste, because I'm in the dark here guys. Those shows aren't even funny IMO, I've tried to watch just to see what the attraction is, but had to change channel once the nasty stuff started, which seems to be throughout.

Last edited by Bosstrain; 08-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Bosstrain, thanks for the laugh. I've quoted your comment as my signature.

Understand, I just have a dark sense of humor. Metalocalypse and the earlier seasons of ATHF appeal to me. I also like Archer but that's on FX.

As an anime fan since the 1980s, I'm glad to see you have taken an interest into this fascinating genre. One recommendation; branch out and try renting (better yet, buying) other anime titles and give some serious thought to watching it in Japanese with English subtitles. Nothing beats the original voice actors giving life to the character(s) in their native tongue.

As for Durarara, I've heard of it, but never gave it much thought until your thread. You have peaked my curiosity. I'll have to seek it out and give it a viewing, but NOT on Adult Swim because dubs suck!

My two cents.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methyl Ethyl Death View Post
I'll have to seek it out and give it a viewing, but NOT on Adult Swim because dubs suck!
I was hoping the "dubs suck" thing wasn't going to show up. Oh well.

It's the anime equivalent of Godwin.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
As someone who watched the show when it was fansubbed and immediately did a cosplay of it;

First, you need to understand Durarara!!! is a light novel series in Japan, and so the anime is not a "complete" story - there are some loose ends, but it's still a pretty good wrap up. I think the anime covers the first four or so light novels, but can't find anything big on it. But there will be some characters who seem to just appear and don't really GO anywhere - this is why. They were bigger in the novels, and may have just appeared more in later novels that aren't covered.

Were you to ask me what the show i about, I would say; Ikebukuro. There is a lot of love of detail in the show about the city itself. Just look at these comparison pictures: http://pawncheckmate.blogspot.com/20...parison-i.html, http://pawncheckmate.blogspot.com/20...arison-ii.html (note; third of the series, not linked, contains end-of-season spoilers). There are so many characters, and it's constantly switching between them, that it's really more about the essence of the crazy place they live in, and the events that go on around them.

The show really does not have a main character, although Celty is considered the main character by the author. Really, though, she's just the one character everyone else is somehow tied to - if anything the three schoolkids are the ones with the most focus first season.

But if you're wondering what the show is going to cover; the first season spends its first half basically setting up the characters. The second half is all about the Dollars and other gangs of the city coming to all out war, that drags everyone into it.

In short: Weird stuff, a crazy city, wonderful characters (I love the four in the van!), and gang warfare.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Okay Antibob, I admit sometimes I'll watch anime in English but it's rare. Ghost in the Shell is very dialogue heavy and I have to admit, the English voice actors are exemplary. Hellsing is another example of good dubbing. It takes place (mostly) in Britain and the voice actors do adequately in the accents.

Can you explain the "Godwin" reference? Me no undurstand.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Godwin's law is essentially: the longer a conversation goes on, the greater the likelihood someone will compare something/someone to Hitler/Nazis/the Holocaust. Dubs vs subs is the anime equivalent.

I find Durarara!! easier to follow having seen Baccano!, by the same author, which takes a similar anachronic path following a whole mess of barely related characters.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 AM
I don't watch much, if any, of the anime stuff on AS (I'll groove to the opening to Cowboy Bebop anytime, tho). So I won't comment on that.

As for the other stuff on AS, I have, until recently, enjoyed quite a bit of it. I can attempt to explain the appeal those shows had, at least for me.

It starts with Space Ghost Coast to Coast. See, remember Space Ghost from when you were a kid? Wasn't that show popular in the 70's or something? You can totally tell those dudes were all high when they were making that show, amiright? Totally made no sense, unless you were baked, or like, six.

'ere.

Anyway, man, I was wondering, what ever happened to that guy? Space Ghost. I mean, what happened after all that space adventuring stuff was over with? What's he doing these days? Dude, pass that around, damn. No, no, no, I mean like, what if, hehe, what if, like, for a job, that guy was like, a talk show host, or something? Celebrity interviews. And of course everybody on the show is still getting freakin' wasted! Celebrities trying to pimp their movies and junk, and Space Ghost is all, you know, Space Ghost-y. That would be hilarious!

And it was. If you're really baked. Or, like, six. And then they made Birdman a lawyer. Then they followed up on the fate of SeaLab, and the Venture Bros, a generation after the kid's shows. And then they got baked and grabbed some fast food and wondered what the hell the fast food company was doing making food item action figures, and they made a show about that. And then there was the night they were reminiscing about their metal days, and wouldn't it be awesome if...

At some point, the absurdism took over more and more. And I gave up smoking. So I tend not to appreciate the shows as I once did, but, back in the day, they were good, silly fun that lampooned a lot of the campy kids' shows I grew up with.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Why do I love Metalocalypse? Because it's hysterical. It perfectly nails the metalheads that I grew up with - you know the ones, the guys in the black Metallica (or whatever) t-shirts that took that shit uber serious? (No, not Butthead.) The ones that would die for their bands? The ones that lived and breathed whatever the lead singer was spouting, not realizing that for the most part, the lead singer just wanted to play music and probably wasn't as emotionally invested in the lyrics as his (or her) fans? That hardcore fan - the one that "it just speaks to me, man." That guy. You know him.

Metalocalypse lampoons that guy, brilliantly. It also lampoons metal bands themselves (a little like Spinal Tap did) - it's such a breath of fresh air when compared to the earnestness of, say, James Hetfield or Lars Ulrich. Is it over the top? Surely. Is it ludicrous and unbelievable? Absolutely. (A band that runs the world economy, you think?) But it's also brilliant and hysterical and I loves loves loves it.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks, Karrius, Durarara! is about Ikebukuro kinda', there's a lot of detail there, plus the story line itself is rotating around city life in a way, with a badass twist to it. I will now pay more attention to the enviroment.

I'll be sure and check out a little Baccano! if I get a chance Write Handed.

Gotta' say I didn't see the dub/sub war coming, but I should have. I appreciate the original language and voice acting, the thing is though.....it's not my language, and in a different language it's hard to tell exactly where the emphasis goes, which is IMO an important part of voice acting. That's not to say I'll turn my nose up just 'cause it's sub, there have been a couple shows I've watched before the english was even released, case and point: Legends of the Dark King.

I used to watch a lot more anime.....alot more.....it actually sorta' became a problem, I was spending way too much money on it and had to back off. I was hoping that anime On Demand from Insight would be good, but it seems to just be a giant commercial for Anime Network, it's like they pick the worst ones and shove them on there.

BTW, thanks, Orr, G (try not to jack off too much), that explains some of it a bit, you're all freaking stoned! Believe me, I've done my fair share of puffing in the past, but it never occured to me that some people just can't handle the icky green and start watching stuff like that . It still doesn't totally explain it though, but I'll take answer and be satisfied, just wish AS would play more of the good stuff like they used to, maybe they get better ratings now though (hope that's not the case, their ratings should go down IMO). The thing that's even more twisted is that it's based on kids shows. Besides, not only is the artwork bad, the writing is too. Some of the Cartoon Network shows like Chowder and Flapjack seem to be done by the same people, and that stuff is for kids! Double twisted, and very sick! Okay...okay....I'm calming down now...breathe Train, breathe (talking to self ).
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 AM
@Snickers.....Maybe you have to be a metal head to get it, that would sorta' make sense.....the only metal I've ever liked is FFX Otherworld and a couple others I can't think of right now.....If metal wasn't so tuneless I may have gotten more into it, but since it hardly ever holds a freaking beat I have trouble following it....plus the fans generally seem way too into the lifestyle it reflects, but that's coming from someone who likes classical music as much as Bad To the Bone , I don't get into any one lifestyle and prefer to keep out of all of them altogether. I can see why you'd have an interest though, especially if you have a metal history but find the fans funny. I still can't take the death though, I value human life too much maybe, and I know of way too many ways that people torture other people, and to see it taken so lightly sickens me.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Baccano is pretty awesome, although it's like they took every scene and dumped it into a blender. It's crazy, and is like three separate storyline, all connected, all happening in different years, told simultaneously. It's also on hulu. Really better as a show if you watch it with someone so you can go "WTF was that?" with them.

Durarara!! also has a few references to Baccano. Two of the immortal goofballs from Baccano show up mid-season (I'm not sure how far CN is into the show yet) at bring levity to a relatively awesome point. Also, every time there's a television screen on in the city streets in Durarara!! it shows clips from Baccano. They're usually short, but you can catch them if you look hard.

Edit: And how could I forget? There was a real-life Dollars website, of which "Baccano" was the password.

Last edited by Karrius; 08-03-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I haven't been keeping up with DRRR, but Baccano is on Netflix if you're interested.

I've watched [as] for as long as I can remember, and it's probably what got me into anime, but my favorite original show is probably Sealab 2021 (and the Boondocks). In terms of anime, Bebop is always solid, but I really wish they still had Case Closed and Shin Chan. I didn't mind Kekkaishi but I'm not as opposed to shonen as other [as] viewers.

In terms of CN, some of the "kid" shows are actually really good. I'm quite fond of Regular Show and Adventure Time, and Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. Plus, if you're into action-y, toyetic shows, Young Justice is done extremely well and I have high hopes for Thundercats. Batman: Brave and the Bold is very campy (in a good way) but in its last season. My personal favorite, Sym-Bionic Titan, was cancelled.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrius View Post
There was a real-life Dollars website, of which "Baccano" was the password.
You're Sh**ing me! WTF would they do that for?!? Not that I would ever go to such a site (for fear of some strange law that may be broken, my IP compromised and computer hacked), but I've always been interested in stuff like that, mainly 'cause it's cool that something from a TV show has been made into reality, even if it's just fan based. Not that I'm some geek who wants to live a fantasy, but I'm semi-geekly in the fact that I like fantasy with some real world stuff in it, like the fact that DRRR! has shots from a real city, even though it's drawn.

That's it, I'm watching Baccano! Just try and stop me, even if I have to watch on Hulu from my computer, I'll hook it up to my 42" flatscreen even (oh yeah, didn't see that comin' didya', right hook). No, it's not 3D (hate 3D anyway, blurs the image too much IMO) it's actually just a pathetic thing I got for a damn good price a long time ago .
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Bosstrain, I also highly recommend Baccano! I liked it enough that I bought it. I didn't understand wtf was going on for the first two or three episodes but after that, things start to make sense so don't give up on it. After the shows conclusion I watched the first three episodes again and "Ah ha!", I understood what was happening. I reviewed it again months later in English and I admit (with a nod to Great Antibob), that the dubbing was done well.

I apologize for the "dubbing sucks" comment (should have used a smiley face icon after it). I was simply stating my humble opinion after many years of watching anime in the '80s & early '90s, when time wasn't taken to adequately train/hire English voice actors (yes, I realize there are exceptions during that period). I acknowledge it has much improved in the new millennium.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree, anime has taken leaps and bounds in the past ten years IMO. Not just with the English voice acting, but art and writing as well. A more modern show I found recently that I like is Soul Eater. At first it seems more geared to kids, but as you watch it you find that's not the case so much, and then you realize something astonishing....the fluidity of the movement and how much of it there is. A lot of it is done with 3D modeling (CG if you must), but it's very well done to the point where you almost can't tell if what you're seeing is drawn or not. For the most part the show is somewhat light hearted and fun, the humor is even pretty good, especially once you get to know Blackstar's character (the un-stealthy ninja). Towards the end of season 2 it gets way more intense, it even starts feeling more like Bleach, DBZ and Kekkaishi shoved together.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Quote:
You're Sh**ing me! WTF would they do that for?!? Not that I would ever go to such a site (for fear of some strange law that may be broken, my IP compromised and computer hacked), but I've always been interested in stuff like that, mainly 'cause it's cool that something from a TV show has been made into reality, even if it's just fan based.
Nah, stuff like this happens all the time. It's mostly NOT fan based but done by the studios themselves to drum up interest. The Dollars website is one example of this. As I recall, the website was up before the show and might have been one of the first public indications it was in the works (since fans of the novel series would get the reference).

Many other series do this. Of the ones I can recall off the top of my head, the Suzumiya Haruhi website has, on occasion, included easter eggs to give hints about upcoming events and releases. Several other more niche shows have also done little puzzles and things to reveal information.

It's also not limited to anime. Lots of American shows have been doing similar stuff for years.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Simpsons, for instance, has done it a few times.

The one I remember specifically is Whatbadgerseat.com - it used to be a real website, identical to the one shown on the show. Now it just redirects to the Simpsons website, sadly.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Well, it would be a cool if the fans were doing it, and even cooler if the creators of the show were finding real stuff to put in there, or if someone actually used something from a show on an un-related situation just for their own kicks. Oh well, media will be media, and they'll always try and drum up interest for their shit....