Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Stuff you loved that was discontinued.

I can't believe the Immaculate Baking Company. I think they're in South Carolina.
They stopped carrying my cookies--Key Lime ones, forget the exact name, and "Leapin Lemon--" at Whole Foods. Ok, whatever, I'll order them by the case..I ordered several cases..
They have since stopped making them altogether. They won't give or even sell me the recipe. They are heaven. Key Lime Pie in buttery little cookie form. Leapin Lemon--lemon bar taste, in cookie form and cookie texture. Melt in your mouth. Why, oh why?

Also: Jovan perfume by Andron. I got in trouble every time I wore it. Gone.

I just don't get it!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Also Lime related....

Mennon Speed Stick Lime
Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Paradigm cologne from AVON. I loved it, when I was wearing it women I worked with would actually say things like 'my god, you smell good!' Every man's dream. They quit carrying it several years ago, have never found anything that smells even similar.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Beeman's chewing gum. Made by the same company (Clarke?) that also made BlackJack and Teaberry gum. I loved Beeman's because of the unique flavor (it was called pepsin) and because it could cure heartburn in an instant.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 AM
I can't remember if it was Dentyne Ice or Eclipse, but one of those gums used to come in a black cherry flavor, and damn, did I love it. I think I was the only person in the world who did. It was definitely one of the gums with hard-coated pieces inside a foil-covered blister pack with an individual 'blister' for each piece - not one of the ones with soft floppy pieces lined up inside, each one covered in paper. The color of the pack was purple/dark-red. Again, I can't remember if it was Dentyne or Eclipse, but I really liked it, and as far as I can tell, it is no longer sold in stores.

This was around 2003 or 2004 when I used to buy it.

Last edited by Argent Towers; 08-02-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 AM
Uncle Ben's Rice Bowls - the only microwave food I've had that did not taste like it came from a microwave. They were a bit pricey, but I would grab what I could when sales hit - and I guess so did most buyers so uncle Ben was probably not making enough profit to continue selling them.

Sorry about that.

The other is an older product from the late 80's, early 90's. I cannot recall the brand, but they were pouches that you put in boiling water, rather like sous vide long before it became popular. They had various entrees - I recall sweet and sour chicken, a beef entree, and others. They were fairly tasty, and obviously easy to prepare. After growing up with Rice a Roni, Shake n Bake and Hamburger Helper, they were a welcome alternative.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 AM
I loved a particular sweet that was available in England some 30-40 years ago... called "Sweet Tobacco" or "Pirates Gold" by Barratts, it resembled pipe tobacco in a pouch... easy to see why unacceptabkle now. Nut ut had a lovely texture and did look a lot like pipe tobacco.. it was almost pure sugar with colouring..
Old 08-02-2011, 02:37 AM
You can still get that here.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:32 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead View Post
Beeman's chewing gum. Made by the same company (Clarke?) that also made BlackJack and Teaberry gum. I loved Beeman's because of the unique flavor (it was called pepsin) and because it could cure heartburn in an instant.
Yummies sells beemans.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Quote:
Have you tried here? I bought some Turkish Taffy from these people for my husband and gave him a trip back to the 60s. He loved it.

I miss frozen lemon cream pie. Can't remember the brand - something that was supposed to remind you of yer ol' grandmaw, I think. The instructions said to thaw it but we always just ate it frozen. I found some frozen Key lime pie that is reminiscent but not quite as trashy-good.

I also miss Necco brand conversation hearts in February. All they sell around here now are Brach's (ewwww) and SweeTarts.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 AM
chuppa chup perfume
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Ocean Spray Mango Mango drink. Loved it in college, then it just disappeared. I can't seem to find Jolt cola anywhere, either.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post
Paradigm cologne from AVON. I loved it, when I was wearing it women I worked with would actually say things like 'my god, you smell good!' Every man's dream. They quit carrying it several years ago, have never found anything that smells even similar.
There seem to be several bottles on eBay, FWIW.

A perfume I loved was Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake. Discontinued nearly ten years ago and now sells for an awful lot of money on eBay. Sigh. Absolutely no other perfume like this one either.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:06 AM
7-Up Gold. I liked it. Also, Delfa Rolls/Danish Ribbons.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 AM
Charter Member
Pepsi Holiday Spice. It hasn't been available since 2006, and I thought it was delicious though from what i've read most people didn't agree with me.

Pepsi Blue. If they'd introduced it a few years later as a Mountain Dew flavor it would've sold, but instead it floundered.

I don't know if it's been formally discontinued or not, but all the Coke bottlers in this area have phased out Vault in favor of Mello Yello, which just isn't as good.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Regal Crown Fruit Sours.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Jello pudding pops.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Interesting that we're all coming up with food.

Me? Macaroni Grill discontinued "Sausage and Pepper Classico." That was one of two dishes that kept me coming back.

Then they took the other one - Chicken Marsala - and ruined it. Instead of slices of portobello mushrooms, it now comes with cremini mushrooms, and the sauce is something like 2/3 butter, incredibly greasy.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:17 AM
The Full size Everlast Gobstoppers. They used to sell two in a plastic pack. They were 1" or more across. They were abandoned for the tiny ones that come in boxes that you can still get today from Wonka.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Pizza Hut Bigfoot Pizza
Taco Bell's BLT burrito (I think, it had bacon and a ranch sauce).
Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby View Post
Regal Crown Fruit Sours.
These. I last had them in the early 90s, but they haven't been made since then. There seems to be a lot of interest in them, too -- I blogged about them and it's one of the most popular posts.

Beach Plum Jelly. The greatest of all jellies. Beach plums only grow in ocean sand dunes in the northeast -- Maine, Cape Cod, and Long Island. They're tart and make an incredibly good jelly. Our supermarket stopped selling it and I discovered the manufacturer has stopped making it. I do see it online, though.

Adirondack Orange Citrus Frost soda.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Charter Member
Good 'n' Fruity

Not the stuff they sell today. I mean the stuff they sold in 1985.

The original Good 'n' Fruity was quite similar to Good 'n' Plenty, with a waxy shell coating a somewhat stuff gummy center. They went off the market for a decade or so, and then returned as a reformulated version, softer shell and softer center.

I like the new version, but the old version was better.

And Jolly Rancher candies had many flavors that have come and gone. I liked lemon and peach.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Quote:
My local Pathmark put up a display within the last week, Beeman's Blackjack and Clove gum, 59 cents a pack. Had to get the wife a pack of Blackjack, she's a big licorice fan.

School Paste. Not that I loved it, but I did expect to be able to buy some official Elmers School Paste for my son to make construction paper whatevers with, but it appears that they don't make it anymore. Glue Sticks? Bah!

Burger King Chicken Sandwiches. Not that they don't make the sandwich anymore, but they used to wrap it in paper, slice it in two, and wrap it again. There was something very right about unwrapping it, and seeing two neat half sandwiches wrapped in paper.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 08-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Interesting that we're all coming up with food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Mennon Speed Stick Lime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
School Paste.
E
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Gillette Sculpting Paste - The only hair product that prevented my hair from getting overly wavy while not looking greasy. I proclaimed it "the best hair product ever" just before they discontinued it. The Axe "Clean Cut" pomade comes close, but not as good.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Yummies sells beemans.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
Have you tried here?
Thanks for the links. Some real cool retro stuff there. But alas:

Beemans gum was invented in 1898 to ease heartburn, owing to the pepsin—a digestive aid—it originally contained

So apparently they've changed the formula. And I'm certainly not going to buy a case of it to find out. However, I did come across some real cool licorice products that look absolutely yummy! Thanks again for the links.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatros View Post
Pizza Hut Bigfoot Pizza
Taco Bell's BLT burrito (I think, it had bacon and a ranch sauce).
As a former Hut delivery driver, I want to assure you that you do not want the bigfoot back. Interesting tidbit - the bigfoot pan was bigger than the typical resturant dishwasher. We just wiped our pans down with clean wash rags, usually while they were still piping hot from the oven, and we moved them around the store in stacks by pushing them around on the floor. Yummy

I miss the Nabisco HeyDay bar and actual BBQ flavor Ruffles, not the wavy Lays those aren't the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm another oddball who loved and miss 7-Up Gold and Holiday Spice Pepsi. I actually have a bit of a Holiday Spice Pepsi stash left.

I miss the extra-flavored Fresca sodas that Coca-Cola released a few years ago. Especially the peach flavor. Luckily, it's just my local bottler that has discontinued making it; I found some on my last trip into Chicago, and loaded up.

For non-food: I wish a manufacturer would put a ketoprofen NSAID back on the market. We actually had two competing brands at one point (Orudis KT and one I can't remember) that were still trying to make a niche for themselves when the manufacturers pulled them rather than apply revised NSAID warning labels. AFAIK, the drug is still legal as OTC, but no one makes any. And I'd like my customers who still think I'm hiding some Orudis in the back room to finally be able to buy it and be happy.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecseas View Post
chuppa chup perfume
Like the Mexican lollipops?

Joe
Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Driver View Post
I'm another oddball who loved and miss 7-Up Gold and Holiday Spice Pepsi. I actually have a bit of a Holiday Spice Pepsi stash left.
I also liked them, but the one I really miss was Pepsi Kona - coffee Pepsi. It might have been test-marketed in my area, but it might have been national...

Joe
Old 08-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Charter Member
Bar None, the chocolatiest chocolate bar ever.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Here's a non-food one:

Google Answers.

Sort of a GQ on steroids. Users would offer a set fee for a researcher to answer a question in a particular subject area. The amount might determine how hard a researcher would work to give the user their answer, and they didn't get paid until a satisfactory answer was given. Others could chime in will comments, but would not be paid. I think there's at least one current Doper who was a researcher there.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Shouting Grasshopper
I loved Granny Goose (and later Trader Joes) "Stone Ground" corn chips. They were about twice the thickness of regular corn chips and would hold up to any kind of dip. Fritos "Scoops" have the same idea, but they're not nearly as good.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Kraft Seven Seas Creamy Italian Dressing.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Charter Member
Not discontinued, but much harder to find: Niagara non-aerosol spray starch. So much better than the stuff in a can.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 AM
born to be shunned
"new" Coke, Coke II, or whatever you want to call it. It was the first soda out there that climbed over Royal Crown to grasp my personal first place.

Howard Johnson's clamburgers. These weren't just clam strips fried and put on a bun; these were ground and formed patties that were then breaded and deep fried. When they still sold their foods frozen in stores it usually occupied half my freezer.

Kasdenol - a mouthwash powder. Sort of like gargling a swimming pool but for a bit tongue or cheek is was the best stuff out there.

Sam Thompson Rye Whiskey ------- although I do have some in reserve yet from the very early 80s.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Wendy's Frescetta sandwiches (deli meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayo on cibatta bread). I'm not too fond of hot sandwiches from the drive-thru so these really kicked my ass.

A few years after they got rid of those, they came out with the Bacon + Blue sandwich. Even tho I am not fond of hot sandwiches, I am a sucker for bleu cheese. I think I got 3 of these in one week once. Not bad for someone who only does the drive-thru maybe once every 2 months.

Discontinued
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Not discontinued, but harder to find: u-shaped hot dog buns, made under may different names; caddies, cradles, etc. They were the best buns for hot dogs and they just kind of went away.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Howard Johnson's Indian pudding! I think they used to sell it frozen, to go? I was a very young child when I got me a taste of Indian pudding and I still make it every February.

I miss Sweetheart soap for sentimental reasons, and Charles of the Ritz bath oil drops, which smelled exactly like the finest incense.

And Donna Karan Black Cashmere perfume, also very incense-y. (It would smell heavenly on a man, too.)

The corner store used to have root beer popsicles, haven't seen them in eons.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Gillette shampoo. I managed to get one bottle and then when I needed more it was gone. It was great - only barely scented, and that of mint, and it didn't gunk up my hair. I'm still looking for a good replacement shampoo that doesn't cost a ton.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Crispy M&M's. No longer available in the US. I found where I could order them online from Germany, but I'm worried they'd be spoiled in transit.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Suddenly S'mores, not only are they gone, no one but me even seems to remember them. FTR, I usually didn't microwave them, but rather eat them right out of the package.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
The Edge at Pizza Hut. I was a firm believer in the 'more crust on a pizza, the better' until this came out.

Snapple's Cherry Lime Rickey Soda. Remember when Snapple had a million different flavors? This one didn't survive the cut.

Coca Cola Black. My first taste of this was wretched, but I bought it, so I was gonna drink it. By the end, I was wishing I'd bought two.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:50 AM
For me it is the Chocolate Cream pie from Baker's Square/Village Inn. They still make it somewhere and it still shows up listed on the website, but they don't sell it at any locations I have found west of the Mississippi. They had it, then discontinued selling it at any of our local stores about 10-15 years ago. Since then, they have brought it back twice. Both times I learned to get to it before 5-6 pm or they would sell out. Both times they stopped carrying it. Why? Lack of demand...
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Coborn's Delivers grocery delivery service had this great taco pasta salad back when they were called Simon Delivers. It had penne in it and this great creamy sauce, along with olives, onions, and peppers...but now it is no more.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
Bishops Finger Kentish Ale. Oh, Shepherd's Neame still brews it. They just stopped exporting it to the colonies a few years back. Bastards.

Same thing with Schweppes Bitter Orange.

Last edited by silenus; 08-02-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Coke Black. How I miss that!
Chicago Brick ice cream--like Neapolitan, but caramel, orange sherbet, and vanilla.
Wendy's veggie pitas: heck, all of their pita sandwiches. Also, their cole slaw from the salad bars.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Resident Archangel
Charter Member
Wendy's Grilled Chicken Salad. The one from the mid-to-late 90s. It had carrots and broccoli and cauliflower in the mix. They had a great reduced calorie Italian dressing, too, and they served the salad with a warm breadstick. The presence of raw broccoli wins me over quite nicely, and the tomatoes were always arranged to be on the edges, so that I could get rid of them. Alas, they stopped carrying them sometime when I was in college, in favor of the mandarin orange chicken salad. Bleh. The only use I have for oranges in a salad is if they're blood oranges, and then only if there are also walnuts in the salad, and the dressing is a balsamic vinaigrette, heavy on the balsamic. Not something I'm going to trust to a place that has yet to figure out decent french fries.

Bath and Body Works Iced Pineapple body splash. Though allegedly the Coconut Pineapple is similar. I'm too cheap to find out.

It's not really discontinued, but Ulta stopped carrying Demeter fragrances, which is annoying because I liked wearing the Ginger Ale scent, but can't bring myself to buy it online and pay shipping.

They discontinued Diet Cherry 7-Up for a while. I was pissed. Then they brought it back, and I realized how effing sweet it was. Too sweet. Sigh.

Frozen Cokes from Burger King. They have Coke Icees now, but it's really not the same.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I yearn for those bygone products that always always filled my heart with a warm sense of family value and harmony , including: Chase and Sanborn Coffee in little cans, Pep Vitamins, Tipalet cigars, Pitney Bowes postage meters, Bell & Howell projectors and those playful products from Iver Johnson.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
New York Seltzer - squat glass bottles, a styrofoam label to peel.

I miss the peach flavor very much....