Old 08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
"To mix words" / "To mince words"

I found the phrase "to mix words" mentioned in a thread from last year as an example of a mangled expression. Nobody commented on it; presumably it was offered and accepted as a corruption of "to mince words." But I just read something British that used the "mix" formulation in what seemed to be a somewhat different sense.

So: where are you, which do you hear, which is correct, and what exactly does it mean?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Charter Member
Middle Tennessee, it's "mince words", almost always in the form of "don't mince words" or "I won't mince words." It means the speaker was (or is going to be) bluntly honest and not use euphemistic language to tell you something.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I've never heard "mix words," but my experience of "mince words" is identical to Cub Mistress.

I've lived in Colorado, Montana, New York, and California, and spent quite a bit of time in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania.
Yes, I have joined the ranks of former moderators. Being a mod was eating my life. Now I'm a member just like you. Except smarter and better looking.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM
To not mince words. To choose one's words very carefully. To be exact with the stating of one's chosen words. In others words, to not mix words.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off