Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Charter Member
Parks and Recreation Oct. 6, 2011 - Born and Raised

Oh my god, that was the best parody of a public radio show I've ever seen --

"Please enjoy a song from the lesbian Afro-Norwegian funk duo Nefertiti's Fjord"
Old 10-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Charter Member
Tom: "Ben, I'm cute with everybody."

April: "I've never used a phone."

Chris totally digging the Gotcha Dancers.

Last edited by Acsenray; 10-07-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
The wrong name gag at the end (especially with the threepeat) was well played as well.

This episode really had me rolling from start to finish- even the physical comedy with Bert Macklin which was so close to being too much was perfect because it was funny.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post

"Please enjoy a song from the lesbian Afro-Norwegian funk duo Nefertiti's Fjord"
"Yes, they're awful... but they're lesbians, so..."
Old 10-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Charter Member
I agree that it was a very funny episode. Acsenray already mentioned the public radio parody, and also the show parodied the controversy over Obama's birthplace.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I love this show. It's been cracking my shit up as much as Community.

Ron's tactic of complimenting someone, then calling them by a different name was awesome. I loved when April did the same thing to Ron, and he quietly smirked in satisfaction.

Andy's bodyguard alter-ego was great, too. What was his name again? "Burt" something...
Old 10-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
I don't know what was more funny about that gag, the NPR parody, the "genre" of music, the band's name, the music itself, Leslie's response to it, or the DJ's comment.

That's a hexametric gag right there.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Charter Member
Bert Macklin. He's used that name before, I believe, when he was doing his roleplay with April in "The Fight."
Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
IMO the best part about that joke is that they didn't go for the obvious "We're still on the air" that I think we all assumed was going to be the next line after Leslie commented on how awful they were.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Not an overall great story like last week, but still bursting with comedy gold. April's turn on Ron with the wrong name was pure gold. Did you see Ron's reaction? Could've been unscripted. And Burt Macklin was the outstanding performance in the episode. Nice ending to the otherwise dull 'Ann trying to converse with April and Ron' subplot too.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 AM
My TiVo cut off the very end - what was the tag?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyk View Post
I don't know what was more funny about that gag, the NPR parody, the "genre" of music, the band's name, the music itself, Leslie's response to it, or the DJ's comment.

That's a hexametric gag right there.
And the DJ was played by Dan Castelleneta, who is always fun to see in front of the camera.

Last edited by GrandWino; 10-07-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Charter Member
Jerry came back into the office -- he had been traveling all over northern Indiana confirming the facts in Leslie's book. He even missed his daughter's birthday for it.

He was so enthusiastic about it that Leslie couldn't bring herself to tell him that there was no need for it, and she let him go ahead with his plans to tackle the rest of the state.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Quote:
I love this show. It's been cracking my shit up as much as Community.
As much as??? Community is decent, but P&R is definitely the platinum standard of comedy.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 PM
BANNED
That was one of the funniest episodes I've seen of any series ever. Top 5, for sure. And given how shitty the first season was, that's pretty amazing.

I've gotta say, Ben was a brilliant addition to the show -- he plays the straight man really well, and balances out the zaniness of Andy, Ron, Tom, and Leslie quite nicely. I don't have much to say about Ann, because she's kinda boring (but very hot), and I don't like April because her one-note pseudo-Goth hipster pessimism isn't very funny, but the rest of the show works amazingly well.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Charter Member
A couple of random comments about that episode. Did Ron Swanson actually whittle a stick into a recorder? And Ben was hilarious when he talked about the new Star Trek film. The character sounds like someone who would fit in here. And I liked it when Chris tried to flirt with the woman in the records office to get the birth certificate.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
A couple of random comments about that episode. Did Ron Swanson actually whittle a stick into a recorder? And Ben was hilarious when he talked about the new Star Trek film. The character sounds like someone who would fit in here. And I liked it when Chris tried to flirt with the woman in the records office to get the birth certificate.
Why yes, yes he did. "Now it's time to finally do some real work" Starts whittling a stick. Then when Ann asks him what's the one thing he'd bring to a deserted island, he responds "Silence." and proceeds to play his hand-made recorder. Brilliant.

I really like how this show made Leslie not so much clueless as just over passionate about her job and the town. I thought from the first season, she would be the female version of Michael Scott from The Office, but glad they steered away from that doofus character.

I actually thought her closing paragraph about the World's Best Waffles in her book was quite eloquent and moving. Then of course, the Gotchya punch line.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
I really like how this show made Leslie not so much clueless as just over passionate about her job and the town.
I think one big thing they've done that makes the show work is make it that EVERYONE in Pawnee is like Leslie, except maybe not quite to the same extent. Everyone completely understands how awful it would be to find out you're from *gag* Eagleton. Having the outsiders there makes it a little clearer, but the whole town is slightly nuts.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Great episode! Y'all do know that book is a real thing right?

I haven't gotten yet but I ordered it.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post

Holy crap, I had no idea. I'm buying it and I'll report back if I find any factual errors.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:

I don't see Joan's Book Club sticker on it. How am I supposed to know if it's any good?
I'll wait and see what Perd has to say about it.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic78 View Post
I don't like April because her one-note pseudo-Goth hipster pessimism isn't very funny
There is more to being a hipster than disaffection and pessimism, and I don't understand the goth reference at all. In what way is she a goth?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I think April's great. Despite her personality, they've shown she does have a heart, she's just quirky and odd about it. That's why her and Andy make so much sense. Plus, she's like the daughter Ron never had.

My least favorite character on the show is Ann Perkins. I like how her and Leslie are friends, and how she's the most normal person there, but I don't find her all that funny. That said, I wouldn't want her to leave the show.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Charter Member
But I think it's deliberate that Ann Perkins isn't funny; she's basically playing the straight man role.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
But I think it's deliberate that Ann Perkins isn't funny; she's basically playing the straight man role.
The show has consistently had two straight man characters - Ann and Mark/Ben. It works brilliantly because you can work at least one of them into virtually any situation, thus providing the contrast that makes the zanier characters work. Much better than latter seasons of "The Office," for example, in which every single character was so weird that it often devolved into a contest of who could out-zany everyone else.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
The problem, I think is that Mark/Ben works well for showcasing office zany and Ann worked more with Leslie's personal life. Now we have Beslie and Ann's left in the lurch. They tried to fix it by bringing her into the government office but there's not enough overlap and we're left with these weird vignettes of her trying to get Ron and April to talk to her and last week's health PSA with Chris.

It's a shame because I enjoy both the actress and the character.

Last edited by Inner Stickler; 10-09-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Jerry came back into the office -- he had been traveling all over northern Indiana confirming the facts in Leslie's book. He even missed his daughter's birthday for it.

He was so enthusiastic about it that Leslie couldn't bring herself to tell him that there was no need for it, and she let him go ahead with his plans to tackle the rest of the state.
I saw a more negative aspect to that - Jerry went off on his task, nobody really noticed he was gone, Leslie saw an opportunity to keep him "gone" for longer and went for it.

And at least being from Eagleton's not as bad as being from Wullerton (*ptoo!*).
Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
There is more to being a hipster than disaffection and pessimism, and I don't understand the goth reference at all. In what way is she a goth?
People less hip than you sometimes equate "deadpan, gloomy, and dark hair" with goth.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Do you think you're making a point by trying to imply I'm a hipster? It was a sincere question. Save the snark.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Someone's got their outrage set on a hair trigger. Deep breath, he was paying you a compliment.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm not outraged. That said, if your interpretation is correct, I apologize.

To me, it read as "we're not all as hip(ster) as you" and I admit I have been growing annoyed at the critical mass of hipster derision the past couple years. It and various other subcultures are just a buzzword to most people, and though I'm not part of either of the two mentioned, I'm still familiar enough with them that the misrepresentation stands out.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
I'm not outraged. That said, if your interpretation is correct, I apologize.

To me, it read as "we're not all as hip(ster) as you" and I admit I have been growing annoyed at the critical mass of hipster derision the past couple years. It and various other subcultures are just a buzzword to most people, and though I'm not part of either of the two mentioned, I'm still familiar enough with them that the misrepresentation stands out.
typoink was saying that there are people out there who blur the line between goth and hipster because they don't know the nuances like you do, which to me seems a perfectly sensible statement considering the original quote about april being a pseudo-goth hipster.

coincidentally i know for a fact hipsters hate being called hipsters because in their eyes, there's a group of more hipster people who are the "real" hipsters and the halfway hipsters are just "quirky".

to me, any guy who thinks a scarf is perfectly sensible for mid-september is a doofus at the very least, and in my book - a hipster.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 PM
I agree with you. I'm 29 and didn't go to college, so the hipster movement passed me by, but a number of my friends are three to four years younger and either still in college or recently graduated, so I'm familiar with the hipster blame game that they play. No one admits to being one, yet they're always pointing out other ones to the point where my own working definition of hipster is "someone who points out (other) hipsters".

Anyway, I was just confused by the conflation of goth and hipster. I can see why someone would think April's a hipster, but she's not anything like a real goth, or even the stereotype, e.g. pale skin, black clothes, leather, BDSM paraphenelia, etc.

This wound up being a much bigger issue than I meant it to be. Sorry for the hijack.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 PM
BANNED
Quote:
I agree with you. I'm 29 and didn't go to college, so the hipster movement passed me by, but a number of my friends are three to four years younger and either still in college or recently graduated, so I'm familiar with the hipster blame game that they play. No one admits to being one, yet they're always pointing out other ones to the point where my own working definition of hipster is "someone who points out (other) hipsters".

Anyway, I was just confused by the conflation of goth and hipster. I can see why someone would think April's a hipster, but she's not anything like a real goth, or even the stereotype, e.g. pale skin, black clothes, leather, BDSM paraphenelia, etc.

This wound up being a much bigger issue than I meant it to be. Sorry for the hijack.
I didn't say she was goth; I said she was pseudo-goth. She's dark, gloomy, pessimistic, thinks life is shitty (or at least wants us to think she thinks life is shitty). Annoying, in other words. Put whatever label to her you deem appropriate, and that'll be the one we go with, since you're the self-appointed Label Guru.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Goth, shmoth. In my day, we called people like her "too cool for school."
Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Goth, shmoth. In my day, we called people like her "too cool for school."
Works for me!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:
I had to pause the DVR I was laughing so hard. God that was just about perfect.

My only regret is that Leslie and Ben broke up. So damn cute! I hope they continue with the sexual tension.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Charter Member
Paraphrasing, but I loved this exchange:

"And that guy Mike over there - I went to school with Mike since Kindergarten!"
"That's right - she did."
"Remember when you pooped your pants and then came to school with them on?"
"Why are you saying that? I just agreed with you."

And the aforementioned "Silence" line from Ron and then playing the whittled recorder - hysterical.

Also liked April dropping the book like a hot potato and leaving the room the second Ron announced that they didn't have to fact check anymore.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
My least favorite character on the show is Ann Perkins. I like how her and Leslie are friends, and how she's the most normal person there, but I don't find her all that funny. That said, I wouldn't want her to leave the show.
I am thrilled that I am not the only person who calls her "Ann Perkins". I was talking about the show with my roommate and she commented that I sounded ridiculous talking about Ann Perkins because I always use her full name. I swear I never did that until Chris showed up.

This episode was all around hilarious.

Last edited by Frosted Glass; 10-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
Quote:

Mine came in the mail today. Man, Leslie sure put a lot of work into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Knope
Why would I want to walk through a field of mud and bees to look at wildflowers when I can just go online and look at every flower in the world?