Old 10-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Should I get a Keurig? If not, recommend me a coffee maker!

Ever since I saw a Keurig machine at Staples I've wanted one. My wife doesn't drink coffee, but drinks tea and hot chocolate, so she could use it also.

Right now, I use one of those mug-top baskets. It used to be ok, but now that I'm in school its a pain in the ass - I want something that I can set, go take a shower, and come back to a hot cup of coffee. Make another one for the road, and I'm set.

The practical side says 'buy the $10 drip machine. Save money.' I can get 80 k-cups at Costco for $35, which is pretty good I think.

I want something that is a) easy to use and b) makes good coffee (I realize this is extremely subjective) and c) is easy to clean.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Graphite is a great
Since the answers will be opinions, let's move this from General Questions to IMHO.

samclem, Moderator
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I have one and like it a lot.

The coffee is expensive, but I also got a cup with it that allows me to use any ground coffee.

I say go for it.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Hamilton Beach Ensemble 12-Cup Coffeemaker, Red 43253R (I bought this one in 2009)
or

Hamilton Beach 12 Cup Chrome Coffee Maker 44559

best coffee maker I've ever owned. Canadians make really good coffee makers.

http://google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEkQ8wIwAg

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-07-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Wife and I got the platinum one at Costco. Came w/ coffee adapter cup and 60 cups. Seems like you can get additional cups at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, and elsewhere. Got hot apple cider cups at BB&B.

Liking it so far
Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Since the answers will be opinions, let's move this from General Questions to IMHO.

samclem, Moderator

Thanks. In fact, I thought I put this in CS. Apologies.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoujo View Post
Got hot apple cider cups at BB&B.
Does the cider ever taste like coffee?
Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
If you get a $10 drip machine, you only have to make the coffee once in the morning. If you get the Keurig, you have to do it twice to get two mugs.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member
I know someone who has a Flavia and swears by it. The problem is that while the little Keurig cups are everywhere, I believe you have to buy the packets direct from Flavia. That might not be a problem, but it could work out to be more expensive.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
If you get a $10 drip machine, you only have to make the coffee once in the morning. If you get the Keurig, you have to do it twice to get two mugs.
We used to do that (my husband is Shoujin, see above), but got sick of the old drip machines after a couple decades of using different models. It's super-fast to get a cup out of the machine this way, so the time to make another cup is nearly negligible.

Fear Itself, we just bought the cider tonight, but the machine pretty much just punches a couple holes in each K-cup (top and bottom) and shoots water through it, so there aren't many places for coffee to accumulate. I don't think it'll be a problem.

We've had one at my workplace - a business-sized model, which hooks up to a 5-gallon water cooler jug for a reservoir - for a while now, and I've been happy with the system. I just keep forgetting to pull the used K-cup out of the machine at home, since the work machine automatically dumps the used cup into a collection bin when the next person opens the machine.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 10-07-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I have the cheap little red one, and I love it. With the caveat that if I could go back in time, I would get the one with the adjustable cup sizes. The eeny teeny coffee that mine makes usually means I make two coffees any given morning. It also doubles as a quick kettle if you just want to toss plain water in it and leave a teabag in the cup.

I also have an espresso machine for those days when I'm just dying for a shot or a latte, but 9 times out of 10 it's the Keurig, and it's fantastic.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Does the cider ever taste like coffee?
The only one that (occasionally) gunks up the machine is the hot chocolate, which is remedied by just running plain water through it, or picking it out by hand. Not that there's anything wrong with a bit of a mocha kick to my coffee, anyhow!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Charter Member
We had one at work, hated it. I reccomend Chemex,but thats just me.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:53 AM
I also had them at work at one time. I drank Keurig coffee almost every day for two years straight. The quality greatly depended on which cup you used. Some of them were terrible, some were decent. I never found any that I thought approached the quality of a "proper" cup of coffee (e.g. made via French press, Aeropress or good espresso). However, the convenience was great, and I think it was a reasonable compromise for the circumstances. At home I always just French press or Aeropress my own coffee (I only drink it at home on the weekends), but I've considered getting one for when we have guests over. It's nice that each cup can be a different type.

So I guess I'd say if convenience is more important than quality, it's a good way to go. The quality is quite acceptable (if you pick the right cups), and the convenience is excellent.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Mom bought a Keurig for Christmas. It's best for those who only need a cup of cofffee occasionally and don't use a whole pot of drip coffee.

I live in a house of 3 and only need cups of coffee at intervals. So my mother makes fresh coffee when she get up and then I can make my cup of coffee hours later without having to waste a pot of cofffee that's gotten bitter from sitting out for several hours. The cups of coffee are an ok price, but you can get a reusable filter for the K-cup.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Wife wanted one for years so I got her one for her bday last year. It went back to the store a week later. Th coffee tasted fine but the cups it made were so small she ended up running it twice just to fill up her mug every time she made coffee and she doesn't drink massive amounts of the stuff.

Way cheaper and more efficient for her to just program the timer on our old cheap one so that it makes a pot of coffee before she wakes up and just dump the excess each morning.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundWaldo View Post
I never found any that I thought approached the quality of a "proper" cup of coffee (e.g. made via French press, Aeropress or good espresso).

My husband had one for work, but he didn't even think the quality was on par with "normal" drip coffee. After trying a bunch of different cups, he eventually gave up and got an electric kettle, grinder, and french press for work.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Charter Member
I have one and I seriously think it's the best money I've ever spent. The wide variety of flavors, the convenience, only having one cup of coffee when all you want is one... totally worth it.

HOWEVER, as others have said upthread, the quality of the coffee varies greatly. Stay the hell away from Donut Shot coffee™ - quite possibly the worst coffee I've ever had in my mouth. Also, I highly recommend buying the little adapter gizmo that allows you to put in your own ground coffee.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Charter Member
I had one years ago that worked just fine. You can buy an adapter that will allow you to use your own grind, rather than those pre-packaged cups that may be past their shelf life. I just saw where Consumer Guide rated the Senseo as the best of the single cup brewers.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
I got one for Christmas last year, and I enjoy it for my own use, but I find it really useful for entertaining. We have guests for a meal maybe an average of 1 1/2 times a week (not counting the times my mom or sister joins us for dinner, which happens maybe three times a week). I like being able to offer a cup of coffee after dinner, and the variety I can offer. Somebody wants decaf, but somebody else wants regular? No problem. Third person prefers a cup of tea? Also no problem.

Yeah, it's maybe not the best cup of coffee ever made, but honestly, the drip coffee my husband makes isn't either. And for me, especially when entertaining, the flexibility available far outweighs any quality issues I've had. If I find a brand of K cup that's not good (Donut Shop, like someone posted above, is not so great) I don't buy it anymore.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I bought a Senseo back when they first came out. I loved it at first, then found myself using it less and less. I haven't used it now in about a year. I use my drip machine every day, my french press during power outages, and I've even used my Bodum Vacuum Coffee Maker (takes me back to chemistry lab) in the past year.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
Charter Member
We have a Kuerig at work. Nasty coffee & it takes 2-3 minutes to make a single cup.

I much prefer having a small 4-cup drip coffee maker at my desk. It can make 1 cup of the coffee I prefer in the same time as the Keurig machine can make a cup of junk. And the second cup is right there waiting in the pot.

All that and the expensive coffee I buy is still 1/2 the price of Kuerig's junk. And the maker sells for $20, not $200. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 10-08-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancia View Post

Thanks. In fact, I thought I put this in CS. Apologies.
It's hard to imagine a thread more suited for Cafe Society!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
We have a Kuerig at work. Nasty coffee & it takes 2-3 minutes to make a single cup.
I just ran the Keurig and timed it at 19 seconds. If it takes "2-3 minutes" to make a cup, something's badly wrong with your work coffee maker, which is maybe also why it produces "nasty junk".

W/respect to the OP, what I like about the Keurig is flexibility. My wife and I prefer different kinds of coffee (mellow vs bold), and when folks come over some want decaf. There are dozens of blends available so you ought to be able to find something you like. The kids also like the quick cups of hot chocolate or chai in the winter.

Expense-wise people have already pointed out that you can run your own coffee through it rather than K-cups (and either way, it's cheaper than buying coffee on the road).

In terms of quality, nothing will ever ever ever compare to French press, and if I still lived alone I'd probably still have one, because I not only thought the coffee was better, but I enjoyed the ritual. So if you have the luxury of that kind of time, you shouldn't buy ANY kind of coffee maker. But as automated coffee makers go, the Keurig is good.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 AM
We have a Keurig Platinum. I love it!

It makes coffee SO fast and SO delicious. You have to be willing to really shop for the cups and even when you find a good deal, they're still expensive.

My friends just got a Mr. Coffee that uses K-cups, it sucks the proverbial cock. If you go K-cup, go all the way and get a good Keurig machine.

Lately we've been getting K-cups from Staples; good price & selection and they are delivered the next day.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
In terms of quality, nothing will ever ever ever compare to French press
JAY PRITCHETT (to Mitchell Pritchett): Can I offer you a cup of coffee?

MANNY DELGADO: Say yes! Jay has a French press. I was skeptical at first, but since I've tried it, I'll never go back.

JAY PRETCHETT (to Manny Delgado): I'm so glad you don't live in a tough neighborhood any more.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper9760 View Post
We have a Keurig Platinum. I love it!

It makes coffee SO fast and SO delicious. You have to be willing to really shop for the cups and even when you find a good deal, they're still expensive.

My friends just got a Mr. Coffee that uses K-cups, it sucks the proverbial cock. If you go K-cup, go all the way and get a good Keurig machine.

Lately we've been getting K-cups from Staples; good price & selection and they are delivered the next day.
Out of curiosity, what do you consider a good price for a 24-pack?
Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
It's hard to imagine a thread more suited for Cafe Society!

I just ran the Keurig and timed it at 19 seconds. If it takes "2-3 minutes" to make a cup, something's badly wrong with your work coffee maker, which is maybe also why it produces "nasty junk".

W/respect to the OP, what I like about the Keurig is flexibility. My wife and I prefer different kinds of coffee (mellow vs bold), and when folks come over some want decaf. There are dozens of blends available so you ought to be able to find something you like. The kids also like the quick cups of hot chocolate or chai in the winter.

Expense-wise people have already pointed out that you can run your own coffee through it rather than K-cups (and either way, it's cheaper than buying coffee on the road).

In terms of quality, nothing will ever ever ever compare to French press, and if I still lived alone I'd probably still have one, because I not only thought the coffee was better, but I enjoyed the ritual. So if you have the luxury of that kind of time, you shouldn't buy ANY kind of coffee maker. But as automated coffee makers go, the Keurig is good.
I have a French press, and it makes great coffee - I just hate hate HATE cleaning the damn thing. Tears why I'm thinking about the keurig. Easy, no mess.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do you consider a good price for a 24-pack?
$13 from Staples isn't bad because we can order several packages and get free shipping - I think you have to clear $50. We always get it the next day which is, I suppose, irrelevant but cool.

We've found 24 packs for $9-10 before but it's rare and it seems as though we always have to do some kind of bulk buying to get the shipping costs down.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Quote:
$13 from Staples isn't bad because we can order several packages and get free shipping - I think you have to clear $50. We always get it the next day which is, I suppose, irrelevant but cool.
That's really good. We're paying around $14.75 free-shipped from Keurig, so we'll want to change that. The only benefit (which we've obviously paid for, at least partially) is that we've accrued so many "points" that we've been getting free brewers and giving them as gifts.

Quote:
We've found 24 packs for $9-10 before but it's rare and it seems as though we always have to do some kind of bulk buying to get the shipping costs down.
We do come across those from time to time, and it almost always seems like an overstock kind of situation.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I was gonna buy one for the convenience of switching flavors/decaf on demand.

But, since I rarely have guests, and the fact that I just want one 16-20 oz cup of regular Maxwell House in the morning. It's just as easy to use the cheap drip machine.
(and I can regulate the taste by the coffee amount not by diluting pre-measured with more or less water)

1- Fill big cup with water
2- Pour big cup o' water in coffee maker
3- Toss in filter
4- Add 2 heaping spoons of coffee
5- Go do something else for 3 min
6- Get Coffee
7- Turn off machine

I Like the Keurig but it's not worth the $$$ for me.

Last edited by Jamicat; 10-08-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh yea...I use my drip coffee maker for tea (I put the bags in the holder) and hot chocolate too...works fine for instant hot water.
Just because it can hold 12 cups of water doesn't meant you have to put in 12 cups of water.

Last edited by Jamicat; 10-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:

Just FYI my local Costco has, I think, an 80-cup box for ~$35. Assuming my math doesn't suck that makes it cheaper than $13 for 24. Its a Newman's Own brand, I have no idea how good the coffee is. I'm going to try to get to Costco after work today, so I will double check if I remember to and report back here.

Another question: does the Keurig make BIG cups of coffee? Like a 16oz travel mug's worth? I know they have different models, but the size selection seems to be 'small' and 'normal'.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Another question: does the Keurig make BIG cups of coffee? Like a 16oz travel mug's worth? I know they have different models, but the size selection seems to be 'small' and 'normal'.
Mine goes from 4oz to 12oz, so no...though realistically you're still talking less than a minute to brew two 8oz cups.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Just FYI my local Costco has, I think, an 80-cup box for ~$35. Assuming my math doesn't suck that makes it cheaper than $13 for 24. Its a Newman's Own brand, I have no idea how good the coffee is. I'm going to try to get to Costco after work today, so I will double check if I remember to and report back here.

Groovy, anxious to hear what it's like at Costco. We're still pretty new to the Keurig game and I think we've shied away from Costco because we didn't want to end up with a ton of a flavor we didn't like.

Between the Keurig and this milk frother we're turning out coffee that I like better than Starbucks.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Between the Keurig and this milk frother we're turning out coffee that I like better than Starbucks.
A friend bought me a milk frother like that. It is the bomb.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I bought a 3-pack of a dark roast coffee called "Revv" when I was at Bed Bath & Beyond, and my husband tried it this morning and loved it. Not only is it a dark roast, but the package claims they cram more coffee into each K-cup, so it's suitable for those who want the 12-oz mugs. My guess is it might even handle two pours through it at 8 oz each time, for the travel mug. Looks like it's available through the BB&B website (or buy it for less at the store if you have one of those 20% off coupons), Amazon, and the Green Mountain Coffee website, among other places.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:01 PM
It looks like a dumb, expensive, faddish gadget that all the cool kids are buying, so I'm against it on principle. I'd hate to have to order precious little cups of coffee grounds online or have to shop at Staples for them. Besides, I drink a lot of coffee, and Mr. Coffee and I have had a long satisfying relationship for years.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I bought a Senseo back when they first came out. I loved it at first, then found myself using it less and less. I haven't used it now in about a year. I use my drip machine every day, my french press during power outages, and I've even used my Bodum Vacuum Coffee Maker (takes me back to chemistry lab) in the past year.
After reading the description in the link, I had to go look on Youtube for a video of how this works, as I was fascinated. Time-consuming, but very cool.

I've got a French Press and a stovetop Bialetti Mukka Express, which makes espressos/cappuccinos in a jiffy with very little supervision. Imusa also makes espresso/cappuccino makers for the stovetop, and they're a lot more economical. They're easy to use, easy to clean, and pretty low maintenance; I fill the top chamber with cool water when I've poured out my coffee, and let it sit on a cold part of the stovetop when I'm done so that the milk foam doesn't form a crust on the walls of the moka. Here's a demo of mine for making cappuccinos and lattes. What coffee do I use for it? I go to the store and buy whatever Latin American "espresso style" coffee is on sale, and have had great success for very little cost.

I am, however, in the mood for pumpkin spice coffee, so I may have to get some coffee beans and employ my grinder soon.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Ever since I saw a Keurig machine at Staples I've wanted one. My wife doesn't drink coffee, but drinks tea and hot chocolate, so she could use it also.
I looked at the Keurig web site, and didn't see any explanation of how these machines work, but if they're anything like any other coffeemaker I've ever seen, your wife won't want it.

My wife drinks coffee. I can't stand coffee, but I love tea. Once she's used a coffeepot a few times, it's impossible to make a cup of decent tea in it without having the tea taste like coffee.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:36 PM
@ Costco: Tully's house blend k-cups 80ct for $37.99. Newmans own organic special blend 80ct and tully's French roast 80cf, all $37.99
Old 10-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Re Keurig once the novelty wears off you realize it's just powered instant coffee in different flavors. After a month with our Keurig machine I couldn't stand the taste compared to the fresh brew I get from my local coffee house. I would never get one.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Well, I looked at Costco. $149 for the machine, sixty cups, and a filter so you can use your own grounds.

Or, a Black & Decker programmable drip 12 cup maker for $14.

I went with the B&D. I told my wife that perhaps Santa will bring us a Keurig this year. But I'm not into spending $150 bucks for a coffee maker. I'll spend the money I saved on a burr grinder and some decent whole-bean coffee.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:22 PM
salinqmind: They're available at the grocery store, too. Even the "international" supermarket near my house has a big K-cup selection.

Lancia: Yeah, that's the top of the line (or darned close) for home use from the Keurig brand. My husband and I are used to getting pricey coffee makers, but they last a while typically, so I'm OK with the investment. We just tossed a programmable Cuisinart Grind-and-Brew after it burped out the coffee all over the kitchen floor at 5 am one too many times. I like waking up to hot coffee, but that's ridiculous.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Re Keurig once the novelty wears off you realize it's just powered instant coffee in different flavors.
I'm a coffee snob, and was given a Keurig as a present, and it's currently gathering dust behind my Aeropress, Hario V60, and French Press. I don't think it's terrible or anything, once you find a decent k-cup you like and combine it with the right size. The ease of clean-up and ability to make different flavors/caffeine levels for guests is pretty impressive. But, no, it'll never make as good a cup as other methods that give you more control over all the important variables that go into making a good cup of coffee.

That said, in the interest of facts, your comment here is simply not correct. A Keurig is based on the same basic principles as any traditional coffee brew method: it forces hot water through ground coffee. It does NOT use "powdered instant coffee". I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but it can be easily disproved by popping open one of the k-cups. Real ground coffee inside there.

The inside of a k-cup is actually a little more complicated than you might think (certainly more than I initially thought), and a lot of that technology is in interest of keeping the ground coffee as fresh as possible.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
As I said above, I'm no fan of Kuerig. But I have learned how to make big cups of coffee with the fancy K-machine in our office. Our model has buttons for brewing 4, 6, 8, & 10oz cups.

Put a large mug under the spout, insert a fresh k-cup, close the lid & brew a 10oz. When it's done and the display changes to "ready for the next cup", slightly open the k-cup chamber, just enough so the computer notices. Then close the chamber again. It thinks you've dumped that k-cup and put in a fresh one. In reality you've left the original one in there. Then push the button for a 4 or 6 oz brew. It only takes a few seconds longer than it would've taken to brew 14 or 16 oz all at once had the machine had such a setting.

The net effect is 14 or 16 oz of slightly diluted K-coffee. Which, like that nasty overcooked McBuck's stuff, is actually better when diluted a bit.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 10-09-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Out! Out Foul typos!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I have a French press, and it makes great coffee - I just hate hate HATE cleaning the damn thing. Tears why I'm thinking about the keurig. Easy, no mess.
What are you doing to clean it? I dump the liquid dregs into the sink, then over the trash can pull out the press part. Then I bump the carafe & press once or twice against the can liner to knock out 95% of the grounds. Then rinse the two parts for a few seconds under running water. Done. If it takes 15 seconds I must've stopped to do something else in the middle.

It doesn't need to be sterilized between uses. Neither will your sink plumbing clog if a single grain of coffee grounds goes down the pipes. Close enough is plenty good enough. Once every 20 or 30 pots, run the carafe through the dishwasher to keep it all sparkly.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorphic View Post
I'm a coffee snob, and was given a Keurig as a present, and it's currently gathering dust behind my Aeropress, Hario V60, and French Press. I don't think it's terrible or anything, once you find a decent k-cup you like and combine it with the right size. The ease of clean-up and ability to make different flavors/caffeine levels for guests is pretty impressive. But, no, it'll never make as good a cup as other methods that give you more control over all the important variables that go into making a good cup of coffee.

That said, in the interest of facts, your comment here is simply not correct. A Keurig is based on the same basic principles as any traditional coffee brew method: it forces hot water through ground coffee. It does NOT use "powdered instant coffee". I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but it can be easily disproved by popping open one of the k-cups. Real ground coffee inside there.

The inside of a k-cup is actually a little more complicated than you might think (certainly more than I initially thought), and a lot of that technology is in interest of keeping the ground coffee as fresh as possible.
You are correct. Very finely ground coffee sealed in little cups. Whatever they they are using to keep it "fresh" tasting needs to be improved. It still tastes like ass compared to real fresh ground coffee. I'm stunned at the popularity of these machines when the product is so overwhelmingly "meh". I guess it's the flavors peope get excited about.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
You are correct. Very finely ground coffee sealed in little cups. Whatever they they are using to keep it "fresh" tasting needs to be improved. It still tastes like ass compared to real fresh ground coffee. I'm stunned at the popularity of these machines when the product is so overwhelmingly "meh". I guess it's the flavors peope get excited about.
I'm not sure what the size of the grind has to do with it. Espresso is one method that uses a very fine grind. Grind size has nothing to do with the quality of the product; it's about what's best for the particular brew technique you're using.

Look, I'm not disagreeing with you that there are far, far better methods of making coffee. I really am a coffee snob - I roast my own beans. I'm extremely particular about brew methods, and I really like to be in control of all the important factors - water temp, brew time, freshness, amount of coffee, etc. - which you don't get with a Keurig. I freely admit that. But even as a coffee snob, I'll admit you can get a perfectly drinkable cup of coffee out of the Keurig. Emeril's Big Easy Bold k-cup, for one, is actually not bad, and I'm sure would be perfectly fine for someone who isn't too demanding about their coffee.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
For all that is good and holy, NO!!

you know how much waste there is in those?

just get a $10 drip machine, MUCH less to go in the landfill!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
The thing about those things is you are locked into their selection (once you start grinding your own you might as just bought the $10 auto drip).

They do have coffee makers where it grinds and brews automatically (set on a timer), which may be a alternative route.