Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Men's Underwear...with no fly

I'm wearing today a new pair of briefs, in a different style and brand than usual. So I just went to the men's room to shake the dew off the lily, and unzip, and then fumble around inside my pants for an unseemly amount of time, looking for the fly.

it turns out that these briefs ain't got no fly.

WTF? Why would someone make men's briefs with no opening in the front for easy access?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:47 PM
That's absurd. You should return them to the store (soaked in piss) and demand a refund.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Charter Member
Didn't know anyone actually used the fly. Easier to just push the waistband down.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Where did you buy them?

I don't believe I've ever made use of the fly, and I'd like to get some "flyless" ones.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad View Post
Where did you buy them?

I don't believe I've ever made use of the fly, and I'd like to get some "flyless" ones.
Costco. Calvin Klein.

It's easier to push the waistband down if you're wearing sweatpants maybe, but if you're wearing slacks with 2 buttons and belt -- no.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:03 PM
I've never used the fly, no matter what else I'm wearing.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Same here. Someone should do s poll
Old 11-15-2011, 07:10 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
I've not used the fly since I button my boxers onto my dress shirt.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Really? Don't you run the risk of your nice pants dropping to the men's room floor around your ankles?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM
The idea of not using the fly is utterly unthinkable to me...I have been using the fly in underwear as long as I can remember.

When you people say you don't use the fly, instead pulling down the waistband, do you mean that you unzip the fly on your trousers, and then, through that fly, insert your finger or thumb to pull down the waistband of your underwear, then flip your schlong out over the pulled-down waistband, and then piss?

I just tried doing that. I really don't understand the point of it, or how it is superior or more convenient than using the fly in the underwear. You have to jab your thumb through the trousers fly to pull down the underwear waistband, a totally awkward and unnatural movement, to me, and then you either have to keep holding it down or else have the waistband snug under the base of the penis, right where it meets the scrotum. Why would you want either of those when you could just put the dick through the fly?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
I'm wearing today a new pair of briefs, in a different style and brand than usual. So I just went to the men's room to shake the dew off the lily, and unzip, and then fumble around inside my pants for an unseemly amount of time, looking for the fly.

WTF? Why would someone make men's briefs with no opening in the front for easy access?
Are you sure they weren't just on backwards?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
You don't go through the fly.

Unbutton jeans. Pull down boxer waistband. Do business.

The advantage of boxers with no fly is that there is no opportunity for my junk to rub against my zipper.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
The idea of not using the fly is utterly unthinkable to me...I have been using the fly in underwear as long as I can remember.

When you people say you don't use the fly, instead pulling down the waistband, do you mean that you unzip the fly on your trousers, and then, through that fly, insert your finger or thumb to pull down the waistband of your underwear, then flip your schlong out over the pulled-down waistband, and then piss?

I just tried doing that. I really don't understand the point of it, or how it is superior or more convenient than using the fly in the underwear. You have to jab your thumb through the trousers fly to pull down the underwear waistband, a totally awkward and unnatural movement, to me, and then you either have to keep holding it down or else have the waistband snug under the base of the penis, right where it meets the scrotum. Why would you want either of those when you could just put the dick through the fly?

Perhaps are penises are...easier to find...than yours.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I never understood the old bathroom rhyme that starts "No matter how much you shake..." until the last time this came up, and I learned that there really are men who pee through the fly of their briefs, and it's not just there because some seamstress who'd never used a penis thought it would be practical.

Unbutton and push the elastic down. Never had a problem keeping my pants up whether they are jeans or slacks. Fishing willy out through two flies is awkward as he'll, and it makes it impossible to clear those last few drops, so they end up in your shorts. Gross.

Sent with my fat fingers using Tapatalk.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Are you sure they weren't just on backwards?
I thought of that.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Perhaps are penises are...easier to find...than yours.
OUR penises.

Dammit.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Elephant Whisperer
I honestly can't remember the last time I had underwear with a fly. Seems like all the ones I buy over here are of the push-down-the-band variety. I don't seek them out, that's just the way they are. Now I'm wondering if I could find ones with flies.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-15-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbox View Post

The advantage of boxers with no fly is that there is no opportunity for my junk to rub against my zipper.
Yes. Bike riders will understand this.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 PM
I usually wear boxers. They've always got a fly, but I never use it. I thought that was normal. Never really thought about why the fly exists.

I wear briefs, occasionally, when playing sports. The ones I have don't have a fly. No big deal - pull the waistband down.

Undo the button at the waistband of trousers/jeans and unzip (they shouldn't fall down - if they do, I dunno man, maybe your stance is off or something). Pull down waistband of boxers/briefs and extract cock. Piss. Replace cock. Zip up and button trousers/jeans. Wash hands. Back into the fray.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm shocked and kind of disturbed by how common the pull-down-the-band bullshit appears to be. I can't believe you guys are doing this. You'd rather go through the steps of undoing a button AND undoing a zipper, then pulling down a band (which requires an unnecessary motion of the wrist) than just simply unzipping your fly and pushing your penis through the underwear fly and then through the pants fly?

Your method:

Button, zipper, band, penis.

My method:

Zipper, penis.

Which of those is more logical? Good God.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:53 PM
I never use the fly. The opening is way, way too small.

ETA: Actually it is possible to access the penis via the waistband through pant's zipper. You don't need to undo the pants, although sometimes I do, depending upon said pants.

Last edited by Leaffan; 11-15-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Your method:

My method:

Zipper, penis.

No, zipper, boxer waistband, whip it out.

Perhaps my...never mind.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
I'm shocked and kind of disturbed by how common the pull-down-the-band bullshit appears to be. I can't believe you guys are doing this. You'd rather go through the steps of undoing a button AND undoing a zipper, then pulling down a band (which requires an unnecessary motion of the wrist) than just simply unzipping your fly and pushing your penis through the underwear fly and then through the pants fly?

Your method:

My method:

Zipper, penis.

How much time are you saving by using your method? Two seconds - if that?

I'd rather take two seconds more, and piss in comfort.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
ReMember
Over the top,
Never a drop.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Through the fly,
Cannot stay dry
Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 PM
I made it a poll. You people who pee through the fly are creeping me out.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKDS5k View Post
I made it a poll. You people who pee through the fly are creeping me out.
Didn't you ever wonder why they put the fly in the the shorts? It seems like it would be natural to use the thing for the intended purpose.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Didn't you ever wonder why they put the fly in the the shorts? It seems like it would be natural to use the thing for the intended purpose.
I presume that they were designed and made by women.

No offense, men probably design bras.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Quote:
So they're sort of man-panties?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 AM
Quote:
When my friends and I were kids, our consensus was that it was an excuse to put an extra layer of fabric where you were most likely to drip. The idea that anyone would try to pee through it was generally regarded with ridicule.

I mean, how do you use this thing? The opening on the inside is on the left, and the opening on the outside is a couple inches away on the right. (Or is it the other way around? Doesn't matter.) Either you've got to snake your penis around an S-curve while peeing, or you have to pull both layers of fabric out of the way in opposite directions in order to create a clear opening. Seems easier just to pull down the waistband.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 AM
What's really silly is for a grown man to be wearing briefs.

Briefs are great...for young boys, up until adolescence.

Past that, man, you need to graduate to Boxer briefs

Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Well, waddya know? Just found some of my underwear does have a fly. I've gotten so used to no fly that I've been sensibly ignoring it.

It's not like Mr. Giant could fit through there anyway.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-16-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 AM
You guys and your penis jokes!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Writer on the storm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Didn't know anyone actually used the fly. Easier to just push the waistband down.
Every man I ve ever had anything to do with has expressed this opinion. Also, boxer briefs are dead sexy and I would like to require that all men wear them, please.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 AM
"Superstar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
Every man I ve ever had anything to do with has expressed this opinion. Also, boxer briefs are dead sexy and I would like to require that all men wear them, please.
+100. Especially the second part.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Assure me

Assure me you were shopping in the men's department, right?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Add me to those who never thought the fly was functional.

Isn't the opening too small and constricting?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I wear Hanes boxer-briefs. Basically these. The fly is plenty big enough for my penux. It's very easy to open; just a simple cloth flap. There's nothing to fumble with, there's no confusion, unless you are retarded. In which case, I'd suggest diapers. Seriously, if this is too much work for you, just piss in your pants.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
So I just went to the men's room to shake the dew off the lily, and unzip, and then fumble around inside my pants for an unseemly amount of time, looking for the fly.
Sure you were looking for the fly.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
I wear Hanes boxer-briefs. Basically these. The fly is plenty big enough for my penux. It's very easy to open; just a simple cloth flap. There's nothing to fumble with, there's no confusion, unless you are retarded. In which case, I'd suggest diapers. Seriously, if this is too much work for you, just piss in your pants.
Not everyone wears your preferred brand of underwear.

The issue is not "confusion" it is comfort - most brands are about as comfortable to pee though at tying an elastic band around your dick.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
Most importantly, you gotta be able to operate this thing in the rest room at any bar.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I remember using the underwear fly as a kid for the same reasons you all gave: the hole is there, so obviously it's intended to be used.

The biggest disadvantage is the fact that it wears out the hole. As pointed out above, they don't line up on the inner flap and outer flap. You stretch the fabric a lot to use the hole. Eventually that wears down, and your penis starts sticking out when it's not wanted.

EDIT: And I wore Hanes.

Last edited by BigT; 11-16-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Id rather not fumble around and try to snake myway through two flys. Also leaving the pants buttoned means the zipper will chaff the sides of the penis, I am not a fan of that.

I have never used a fpy, ever but I also don't really care what technique others use. Mine is fast, and comfortable so I don't see any downside. I'm actually going to be buying more boxers soon, and even before this thread I knew I was going to specifically look for ones without flys...as they age the fly on the boxer shorts starts staying open, especially if they are the button fly kind and the button comes off. Then to avoid grinding against my zipper I have to hike up the shorts higher than i would like. I hate flys on boxers and don't see the point at all.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM
rogerbox, if the zipper is actually chafing you, then you're doing something seriously wrong.

I once ordered underwear over the Internet. They had one style, one pattern, two colors. They were $25 a pair. I foolishly ordered 8 pair. After several weeks of not getting them, I e-mail the company to see where they were. I got a pissy response saying that they would be mailed out at the beginning of the next month. When they arrived, one pair was size small. They had no flies, and no matter how I wore them they felt like I had them on backwards. And they wore out really fast.

Worst Internet purchase ever.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHat View Post
What's really silly is for a grown man to be wearing briefs.

Briefs are great...for young boys, up until adolescence.

Past that, man, you need to graduate to Boxer briefs

Don't like them. Too much material. Too "heavy."

Briefs all the way!
Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Quote:
My uninformed impression is that advantages of a fly other than the possible use for urination are

- doubling the material where it is most needed
- making the underpants more stretchy in the front than the elasticity of the fabric would allow otherwise (because the inner and outer parts of the fly can pull to the sides)

I for one have never used the fly for urination as an adult but appreciate the above advantages.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Quote:
I've not used the fly since I button my boxers onto my dress shirt.
OK, this requires some explanation. How do you button your shirt to your boxers?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cards View Post
OK, this requires some explanation. How do you button your shirt to your boxers?
Well, the boxer fly has buttons and so does the shirt. I can't see what I'm doing through the fly of my trousers.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
"Superstar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mops View Post
My uninformed impression is that advantages of a fly other than the possible use for urination are

- doubling the material where it is most needed
- making the underpants more stretchy in the front than the elasticity of the fabric would allow otherwise (because the inner and outer parts of the fly can pull to the sides)

I for one have never used the fly for urination as an adult but appreciate the above advantages.
Covert access.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Well, the boxer fly has buttons and so does the shirt. I can't see what I'm doing through the fly of my trousers.
I'd ask you to explain more but then I fear that I'd be even more confused.