Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Do female athletes wear a cup?

Serious question.

I know they don't have the dangling bits like guys. But I'd imagine a solid whack to a woman's labia hurts too.

Since women now play contact sports like soccer is there a modified cup for them to wear?

Mods please, please let this get answered before banishing it to the game room? I have no interest in discussing sports.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-25-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Since women now play contact sports like soccer is there a modified cup for them to wear?
I'm quite sure that most male soccer players don't wear jockstraps (maybe with the exception of goalkeepers), so it's not likely they'd be of much use for female players.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 11-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:38 AM
My daughter had to wear a pelvic protector when she played hockey. Hard plastic, and was protection against errant pucks and hockey sticks.

Last edited by Pai325; 11-25-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Ah, that's what it's called. Thanks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelvic_protector

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-25-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Soccer is not a contact sport, any more than basketball is. Any contact is forbidden and will be punished with a yellow or red card. Unless the jurors are asleep.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:13 AM
No Cup Needed

Between a woman's legs just isn't prone to serious pain and injury. Getting hit there is equivalent to getting hit in the calf, thigh, buttocks, etc. Whereas a man getting hit in the privates is equivalent to getting hit in the knee, eye, or throat.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Serious question.

I know they don't have the dangling bits like guys. But I'd imagine a solid whack to a woman's labia hurts too.
Well, yeah, a solid whack anywhere hurts, but to the outer labia it's nothing like a guy getting a whack in the nuts or dick. Maybe a hit on the clit would be that bad, maybe, but the odds of that occurring by accident, given the size of the "target" and its location are pretty darn small. I mean, she'd have to almost be doing the splits at the time.

Now, a bruised crotch regardless of gender hurts, swells, and is probably best avoided, so yay pelvic protectors, but I've yet to see a girl or woman take a crotch shot and wind up in fetal position either puking or passed out. I've seen that happen more than once with guys, though.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM
Very interesting.

I've been curled up on the ground a few times after a shot to the nads. Never really knew how tender the area was for girls.

Last edited by aceplace57; 11-25-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
Between a woman's legs just isn't prone to serious pain and injury. Getting hit there is equivalent to getting hit in the calf, thigh, buttocks, etc. Whereas a man getting hit in the privates is equivalent to getting hit in the knee, eye, or throat.
AHEM it entirely depends on the accuracy of the aim. There's a teeny weeny spot that some men struggle to find which is excruciating if receiving a direct hit (I know from bitter experience, crashing onto my bike's crossbar when I was about ten).

I believe women cricket players wear a cup if they're batting, as the bowler is essentially aiming for their crotch at high speed with a ball about the weight of lump of granite.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by constanze View Post
Soccer is not a contact sport, any more than basketball is. Any contact is forbidden and will be punished with a yellow or red card. Unless the jurors are asleep.
Just not true. If any contact in soccer would be punished with a yellow or red card, every game would be over after maybe 20 minutes because of lack of players. There are hundreds of situations in every game where contact is unavoidable in fair tacklings and normal fighting for the ball which no referee in the world would even punish as a simple foul, let alone with a card.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 11-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
I never heard of such a thing for women until I read this thread today.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
AHEM it entirely depends on the accuracy of the aim. There's a teeny weeny spot that some men struggle to find which is excruciating if receiving a direct hit (I know from bitter experience, crashing onto my bike's crossbar when I was about ten).
Yeah, that was how I experienced that particular hit too. So it's not very likely, but whoa, if you do get hit there, it's quite a new world of pain.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Anyone, man, woman or child, who takes an 60+MPH pitch to the groin is going to experience a true 10 on the pain scale. I think I'd choose to wear a cup if I was a female who played base/softball.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Just not true. If any contact in soccer would be punished with a yellow or red card, every game would be over after maybe 20 minutes because of lack of players. There are hundreds of situations in every game where contact is unavoidable in fair tacklings and normal fighting for the ball which no referee in the world would even punish as a simple foul, let alone with a card.
That doesn't make it a contact sport, which are those where contact between the competitors is continuous or almost so.

I once had someone kick me in the labia, with all the strength and fury she could muster (apparently the dude on which she had a crush had one on me). I was more surprised than hurt. Receiving a softball to the nose that broke my glasses in half, or a careless shoulder touch to my tender teen breasts while we thumped downstairs (those hugged books are for shielding, not modesty) would be 10s to that kick's 1. A papercut hurts more. Note that this 1 refers to the labia, not to the tiny point SanVito mentioned.

Last edited by Nava; 11-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
That doesn't make it a contact sport, which are those where contact between the competitors is continuous or almost so.
That wasn't my point, I don't even know the exact definition of the term "contact sport". My point was that it's ridiculous to state that every contact in soccer is punished with a yellow or red card. As I said before, there are many, many contacts in each game that are not even ordinary fouls. If constanze's assumption was true, soccer would be a very different sport to the one it actually is.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 11-25-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 PM
It's a standard piece of equipment for women playing hockey. In general, women wear the same gear as men, just shaped slightly differently for a better fit (the chest protectors are also moulded differently to accommodate breasts).
Old 11-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I'm quite sure that most male soccer players don't wear jockstraps (maybe with the exception of goalkeepers), so it's not likely they'd be of much use for female players.
You'd be wrong about that. Most male athletes wear jockstraps while playing any sport. A jockstrap and a cup are two very different things--jockstrap being an undergarment made of cloth to support the testicles, a cup being a hard plastic device designed to protect against impact. You can wear a jockstrap without a cup, and most male athletes do. Unless things have changed drastically in recent years, you cannot wear a cup without a jockstrap--though some cups may be built in to a jockstrap.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
Ah, that explains that old joke...

"She said 'give me twelve inches and make it hurt!' So I ****ed her 4 times and kicked her in the crotch..."
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Just because soccer players fall down like they were shot every time someone brushes past them does not make it a contact sport.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
You'd be wrong about that. Most male athletes wear jockstraps while playing any sport. A jockstrap and a cup are two very different things--jockstrap being an undergarment made of cloth to support the testicles, a cup being a hard plastic device designed to protect against impact. You can wear a jockstrap without a cup, and most male athletes do. Unless things have changed drastically in recent years, you cannot wear a cup without a jockstrap--though some cups may be built in to a jockstrap.
Well, I'm not competent in the nomenclature of protective gear of that kind, I assumed we are talking about a thing that I know as "Suspensorium" (German Wiki link for, surprise, "Jockstrap" to which I was redirected after searching for "Suspensorium") in German. I played soccer myself in my youth for 8 years as a goalkeeper, and never wore and have never seen another player wearing a jockstrap. But that was more than 25 years ago, and it was amateur sports. I could imagine that today's professional players wear them. My ignorance fought once more.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 11-25-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post

Using you definition I have a hard time thinking of any contact sports besides boxing. Football would no be a contact sport as they spend more time standing around than hitting each other.

Anyway, I've seen more blood on a soccer pitch than I ever have on a football field. Players routinely collide in situations where no foul has been commited.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Quote:
That wasn't my point, I don't even know the exact definition of the term "contact sport". My point was that it's ridiculous to state that every contact in soccer is punished with a yellow or red card. As I said before, there are many, many contacts in each game that are not even ordinary fouls. If constanze's assumption was true, soccer would be a very different sport to the one it actually is.
I believe that a 'contact sport' is one where contact is a specific element of the game, like rugby or American football. Football (soccer) is not strictly a contact sport, although obviously contact occurs frequently in tackling - but it's a by-product of a tackle, as the tackler explicitly has to touch the ball, not just the player.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Soccer and basketball are both contact sports. Football and hockey are collision sports.

Also, I think that some sets of compression undershorts are designed to hold cups these days.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Never really knew how tender the area was for girls.
For a vivid illustration of the difference between men and women in that respect, try judo wrestling with a female judoka roughly the same size as yourself. Man, those gals are evil! And unlike wrestling with male opponents, you can't even retaliate by giving them the same treatment. It just doesn't have any effect!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Not always, because it's harder to injure a woman there. But it's possible, and intensely painful when it does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Pete View Post
Getting hit there is equivalent to getting hit in the calf, thigh, buttocks, etc. Whereas a man getting hit in the privates is equivalent to getting hit in the knee, eye, or throat.
Hell no. Female crotch injuries may be more rare, but they feel NOTHING like being hit in a fleshy area with many less nerve endings. A couple times I've had solid contact with the area of my crotch where the delicate pubic bones join; it was some of the worst traumatic pain I've experienced. The female pubic bone is two separate pieces, held together with ligaments (which have to stretch during pregnancy and childbirth), and serious injury involving tearing of these ligaments and separation of the pubic bone, or pubic bone fractures, is quite possible and very painful.

There is also a chronic form of this injury which happens to some women during pregnancy, and is intensely painful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diastasis_symphysis_pubis

I've never been, like, punched in the labia, but one time I fell on the edge of a cardboard box and did some damage. Burning pain, and soreness for days...

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 11-25-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Quote:
That is simply incorrect.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 PM
Charter Member
I can't imagine a common sports injury to the pubis that would be common enough or potentially painful enough to require the use of a "cup" type of protection. That said, when I was in grade school I used to have a lunchtime activity... the monkey bars at my school had three parallel bars about three feet off the ground that extended about 12 feet out to the side of the main monkey bar "complex" as it were. These bars were probably 4" in diameter. Myself and some friends of mine practiced walking along them, tightrope style, until we could walk the length of the bar, turn around, and walk all the way back. It was quite the feat of balance.

One day, I was doing this at lunch when my feet slid off the bar--one to either side. I landed with the full weight of my body on the bones between my legs. It hurt bad enough that I could hardly breathe and I was unable to speak or anything for probably 10-15 minutes or so. That said, I doubt any kind of protective "cup" would have protected me from the injury, because it came from directly below, not from the front at all.

The chance of getting hit in the clitoris seems pretty slim to me, and the kind of injury I described would not tend to happen in a person-on-person clash... So I guess I'm of the opinion that a "cup" would be mostly useless and be more in the way than be any help the vast majority of the time.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:13 PM
It's hard to hit the female genitals. A soccer ball hitting the crotch from the front will leave a man writhing in pain, but for women it's mostly caught by the hip bones, thighs, and lower stomach. It might hit the pubic mons, but that doesn't hurt any worse than the rest of it.

A shot up between the legs with something narrow enough to hit the genitals can hurt, yeah. (The given examples of a bicycle crossbar or cardboard box make painful sense. There's just no real padding there, and lots of nerve endings and bone.) An attempt to hit that same spot with the knee isn't going to do much of anything, it's too blunt and will mostly be caught by the thighs.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Quote:
uh, what? Are you serious? slide tackles were a mainstay of any soccer game I played in.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Charter Member
Most American pro football players don't wear a cup. They find it to restrictive when running. Hockey players do wear one just because of the chance of taking a direct hit to the gonads from a shot puck. Baseball catchers will wear one but other position players don't.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Not just the puck, but a stick can hurt a ton too - lots of stuff flying around in a hockey game that can hurt a fair bit.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
Most American pro football players don't wear a cup. They find it to restrictive when running.
Seconded (high school).
Old 11-25-2011, 06:33 PM
About breasts, I believe female fencers wear extra padding on one side of their jackets. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me, though.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:54 PM
Would they wear one to protect the hymen?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
Would they wear one to protect the hymen?
Seriously? Why would they?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpalCat View Post
Seriously? Why would they?
I'm thinking in some cultures it's very important, and it won't "heal" like the other structures in that region. Maybe in those cultures women don't play sport.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Charter Member
But the only way I can envision it breaking is if something entered the vaginal canal. Which I can't see happening with sports.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure it can also break with a hit from below, or even while riding a bike. Maybe even a hit by a football from the front?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Creature of the Night
I've also landed, hard, on a bicycle's cross bar. I was definitely experiencing quite a bit of pain.

As for hymens, supposedly riding astride a horse could break one, or open one, which is why good girls rode sidesaddle.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Charter Member
Yeah but things like riding a horse I think are damage that occurs because of a repeated activity, over time. Not the kind of one-off injury that a cup would prevent.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:08 PM
A couple of years ago in the Women's College World Series (softball), a catcher took a hit to that area by a foul that bounced directly back into her. I guarantee that it made me wince.

If any woman needs protective gear, it has to be softball catchers.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
Not just the puck, but a stick can hurt a ton too - lots of stuff flying around in a hockey game that can hurt a fair bit.
Yes, and I have had the unfortunate experience of a whack from a stick. Not at all pleasant. But, while that may hurt a whole lot, a direct hit from a puck traveling 80+ mph can make you forget about thinking what you should name your children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Seconded (high school).
Way back when, football players wore cups. The pros started to play without them. It didn't take too long for that to trickle down to college and high school. The interesting thing is that as a player rises on the competitive level he tends to play with less, and lighter, protective equipment.

Because of the obvious vulnerability, baseball catchers, hockey players (especially goalies) and boxers have to be well protected from direct, powerful hits. While it is different for males and females, it's not an area that one wants to leave totally unprotected when it is very vulnerable to hard, direct hits.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Quote:
I'm quite sure that most male soccer players don't wear jockstraps (maybe with the exception of goalkeepers)
Certainly not a cup.

There are whole websites full of funny pictures of male soccer players where a player is 'flashing' the audience because another player is pulling on his uniform. And it's obvious that they aren't wearing a cup.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:23 AM
Every hockey player on my team wears a cup, not in a jock, but in shorts that also help hold up your socks with velcro. Most women in my league don't, although some do. the insert is like a flat cup, just a panel of hard plastic.

I'd rather play hockey with no helmet or gloves than no cup. A frozen piece of rubber flying through the air really hurts, not to mention a guy actively trying to kill you with a stick.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. P. McMurphy View Post
Baseball catchers will wear one but other position players don't.
Is this true? I'm not calling you a liar-liar, but I can't imagine that a shortstop or pitcher would go cupless.

mmm
Old 11-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Is this true? I'm not calling you a liar-liar, but I can't imagine that a shortstop or pitcher would go cupless.

mmm
I thought that alot of the infield did, at least a lot of the time. I remember one game where they announcer was snickering while he tried to explain an unexpected delay. A backup outfielder had been called to play third during a blow out, got near the base, looked at the closeness of the batters box, then ran back in the locker-room to get "re-equiped" as the announcer put it.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Certainly not a cup.

There are whole websites full of funny pictures of male soccer players where a player is 'flashing' the audience because another player is pulling on his uniform. And it's obvious that they aren't wearing a cup.
Most just wear the undershorts to keep everything in place and avoid muscle strains. Cups and Jockstraps aren't really necessary.

Balls to the... balls.. are just an unfortunate part of the game sometimes!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Tacklings are not part of normal soccer, players tackle each other in Rugby or American football, but not in soccer. Unless you play it with different rules, maybe like American football.

In Europe, soccer is not played with players tackling. Just pulling other player's clothing is considered a foul already.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
Not true for European soccer players, at least German ones. The protective clothing that soccer players wear are shin guards (because inferior teams sometimes think it's worthwhile to take out a very good player with a kick even if it counts as foul).

Look at any time there's a corner kick or an 11-m kick and the players form a wall: they all put their hands over their groins to protect the family jewels. If they had cups, they wouldn't need that.

And if they don't play hockey or similar where a cup is necessary, athletes wear boxers or brief = underpants, not special jockstraps. What would be the point? Either it's a contact sport like hockey, then they wear a hard plastic cup; or it's a no-contact sport like basketball, then they can wear normal underpants.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
uh, what? Are you serious? slide tackles were a mainstay of any soccer game I played in.
I don't know what or where you played, but if you regularly tackled players, it's not soccer according to the rules.