Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Hell On Wheels theme music - what is that style?

I LOVE the "Hell on Wheels" theme music. Incredibly cool.

Is it part of a particular genre of music, or just a modern mash of a couple others? It has that unmistakable "Western" sound, although what exactly it is in the music that makes that so clear I couldn't say. Listening to the "Deadwood" theme, which I also love (though not as much) I am tempted to say it's the violin...or rather, as I'm sure it was called in the day, the "fiddle".

I would love a long version of the Hell on Wheels theme.. delicious.

I also love Christopher Hyerdahl (the Swede) - what a riveting character...I am unable to pull my eyes from the screen when he's on. Marvelously creepy. (kmart ad first. Grrr.)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Steel guitar.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Heh, I was justing thinking the same thing. The HoW theme reminds me very much of the theme from 'Firefly', actually.

Regarding the string parts, I was thinking maybe Dobro, but could be wrong. Definitely fiddle as well.

And yeah, The Swede is a great character. Quite enjoy Colm Meaney's evocation of an 1860s Robber Baron as well.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
Steel guitar.
The hollow resonant sounding guitar is a dobro (a steel-top guitar), which is sometimes (mistakenly) called a steel guitar.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off