Old 12-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Speidel Twist-O-Flex

My sweetie gave me a new wrist watch for Christmas. After thanking her and kissing her, I promptly discarded the crappy band it came with, and mounted it on my venerable old Speidel Twist-O-Flex watch band. She looked on in horror!

I realized that I have owned dozens of cheap wrist watches since coming of age in the seventies, but ALL of them have been attached to my wrist with the exact same Speidel Twist-O-Flex band. The damn thing just won't wear out! Not to mention being the most comfortable watch band I have ever had the pleasure to experience.

But.... am I a dinosaur? Am I the only person left on the planet who uses this engineering marvel? Do they even still make/sell/admit to ever making them? Certainly, they are hopelessly out of style, but man oh man, are they comfortable!

Anyone? Beuller? Anyone else out there still own/wear/love this fabulous watch band?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:01 AM
I had to Google to make sure we were thinking of the same thing, but Twist-o-Flex is the only watchband I will ever wear. You can adjust it to the exact right size and you can whip it on and off quickly. (This is important to me because I'm a pharmacy technician and you're not supposed to wear watches in the IV hood [sweat, germs, whatnot] - I don't need to be fumbling around with a buckle when someone needs a STAT amiodarone drip while having a heart attack.) Also, regular leather/plastic wristbands get all sweaty and gross - ew!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Do they even still make/sell/admit to ever making them?
Apparently.

Is this the band that removes your wrist hair where the band is, using the same basic principle as waxing (i.e., ripping the hair out)? If so, I had one about 30 years ago.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
I have a couple watches I haven't worn in decades which still have that type of band. I always liked the way they worked. (And ZenBeam, I'd wager I've got more arm hair than you & I've never had a problem with those bands tearing out hair. I agree that the watchband area just always seemed clean-shaven somehow; not that I did anything to make that happen.)

My watch of choice these days is a black plastic Casio. Which would look terminally dorky with a Twist-O-Flex.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM
We used to call those "Twist-O-Flesh."
Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
My watch of choice these days is a black plastic Casio. Which would look terminally dorky with a Twist-O-Flex.
That's exactly what my new watch is, a black world-time Casio. And it DOES look terminally dorky on this band! But, terminal dork is my personal style, and I embrace it.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:29 PM
I inherited my grandfather's 1920s wristwatch (a Paul Ditishein), which he had put onto a 1960s Speidel Twist-o-Flex band--I adore it. It's very art deco (the watch, I mean, not the band) with diamond numbers on a platinum face, and this ghastly but very comfortable watchband.

If Grandfather knew I was wearing it, he would reach up from hell and snatch it off my wrist.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
That's exactly what my new watch is, a black world-time Casio. And it DOES look terminally dorky on this band! But, terminal dork is my personal style, and I embrace it.
[Dirty Harry]A man has got to know his limitations.[/dh]

Last edited by LSLGuy; 12-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 PM
"Give your watch a new twist...Twist-o-Flex! Give yourself a new feeling...Twist-o-flex"
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
My dad's always worn those types of watch bands. I remember when we were kids going to the flea market and helping him find a back-up (or new) Twist-o-Flex watch with a Ford logo on it (He worked at Ford).

I know he still wears that style band but I wonder what the watch face is these days? Hmm...perhaps he figured out how to change a watch battery.

Anyway, I inherited his habit of wearing a watch on the right hand even though we're right handed, but I never could hang with that type of band. No sir.

My dad is a dork though. He wears Velcro shoes too.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
.....My dad is a dork though. He wears Velcro shoes too.
Cool! Can he walk on walls?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 AM
I've got one!

My watch itself is a lovely Citizen EcoDrive, very simple ... just a horizontal oval pearl dial with a roman numeral XII at the top, and gold dots at the 3, 6, and 9 positions. No second hand, no day/date window. The watch is surrounded by a clover-leaf-like design of chrome, overlaid with another clover-leaf-like band of Swarovski clear crystals. Very elegant. It came with a black silk strap band that wore out after a year. I could not find a replacement (from Citizen or elsewhere), so the spouse found "shoulders" (for want of the correct term) made of Japanese sterling that are a Black Hills gold knockoff design with red coral and turquoise accents. These are held together by ...

my silvertone Speidel Twist-O-Flex band

It would have been easier to shoot & upload, a photo, I suppose
Old 12-28-2011, 06:04 AM
RE: the above post. I should mention that he got the watch itself from Sportsman's Warehouse at a very deep discount. The Japanese parts and the Twist-O-Flex (and about a dozen leather bands in different colors) were gotten on eBay. He's Scots-Irish, which explains it all. And he got all these wonderful bits together for me, because I had been whining that the battery in my el-cheapo Timex had gone bad ... true love!
Old 12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Une merveilleuse cerise
Is there an actual term besides "shoulders," does anybody know? I have a watch I haven't worn in 20 years because the clasp is broken and no replacement band will fit it. I took it to probably 10 different jewelry stores over the years. I love that watch too! I got it for my 16th birthday.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Watch band of the gods.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:13 PM
I have a very large watch (to go with my very large wrist, duh) which for some odd reason has normal-sized pins. After replacing more than a dozen pins over five years or so (having the watch fall off whenever the pins failed), my jeweler suggested we go with an expandable band. Five years later, I have yet to have a pin die.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Charter Member
Hate, hate, hate expanding watchbands, Twist-O-Flex included. I have, in the past, used leather bands (not bad) and infinitely adjustable velcro bands from REI (also not bad, but oh-so-dorky), but my current favorite is the double-sided folding clasp on my Seiko. I can't find a picture, but the double-sided clasp fits better on my skinny wrists than the usual Z-clasp found on most bands of the type.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
My dad liked Twist-O-Flex watch bands. Maybe it was a '50s/'60s thing. When he got his Seiko Bell-Matic in '74, he kept the stock bracelet. But he wore a gold-tone Twist-O-Flex band on his Zodiac (before my time) and a silver-tone Twist-O-Flex band on his Vulcain Cricket. I don't know what happened to the bracelets, but when I had those watches overhauled after he died I put Twist-O-Flex bands on them.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Charter Member
Last year when my grandfather died, I got one of his watches. It is on a Twist-O-Flex band and was for as long as I can remember.