Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Can you recommend a good Coleslaw (premade)

We have relatives coming in this weekend and I'll be barbecuing steaks Sunday. The sides will be baked strips of potato with salt & pepper, lemon juice/butter in aluminum foil packets, and coleslaw.

Everyone in my family loves coleslaw. I don't enjoy making it. The last time required stitches in the ER. Finely chopping lettuce isn't my thing.

We're going out to Sams and Walmart this Sat morning.

Can you recommend a good pre-made coleslaw? Prefer one with raisins. But we can easily stir in raisins ourselves the night before.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Correction chopping cabbage not lettuce. Stupid edit time out.

Either way, my kitchen knife skills suck. I'm better off buying pre-made coleslaw for 15 people.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
To me you could do a lot worse then stopping by your local KFC and picking up several pints of coleslaw there. That said, Marzetti's makes really good slaw dressing & you should be able to pick up a bag of already cut cabbage & carrots in your store's produce section ( I know Dole makes this)
Have fun, enjoy the visit!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd buy pre-cut coleslaw mix and stir in dressing and whatever. Let it sit in the refrigerator so it can soften up! I might be fooling myself with all the e. coli found in veggies, but I am extra leery of buying pre-made salads in those little tubs. Our Wegmans grocery sells wonderful coleslaw that's as good as home made, but since it costs an arm and a leg, I'd rather make it myself.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
. . .I don't enjoy making [coleslaw]. The last time required stitches in the ER.
That's what they mean by "making it with your own hands."
Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
True, but my guests object to the reddish tint in my homemade coleslaw.

I just thought of Jasons Deli. I bet they sell coleslaw in large tubs.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-10-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
True, but my guests object to the reddish tint in my homemade coleslaw.

I just thought of Jasons Deli. I bet they sell coleslaw in large tubs.
Jason's Deli does not sell coleslaw. I know because it's a point of major frustration for me. Seriously, they sell potato salad but NOT coleslaw? WTF?

Myself, I just buy the shredded cabbage in a bag and buy a bottle of dressing. I like to add sunflower seeds to mine. (and maybe some fresh grated parmesan.)
Old 02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I like to add sunflower seeds to mine.
That...sounds ridiculously good. I don't know why I never thought of that.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:25 PM
No knife skills needed – just look around the bags of salad and buy a bag or two or shredded cabbage, likely with a bit of carrot mixed in.

If you want a very quick to fix and very good recipe, try this one. My family has been making it since the 1950s … great with everything, all the way from Sunday cookouts to Thanksgiving dinner … try it plopped on a pulled pork sandwich.

Marinated Cabbage

2 pounds shredded cabbage (bags of coleslaw mix with carrots and/or green peppers are great)
1 small onion, thinly sliced – mix in with cabbage
14 tablespoons sugar sprinkled on top of cabbage mix

Boil for 5 minutes:
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 teaspoons salt

Pour hot mixture over cabbage. Let stand at least 6 hours before serving. Will keep in refrigerator 3 to 4 weeks.

Personally, I think it takes more like 4 to 5 days to really reach it's peak, but next day serving is just fine. I love this stuff.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
Turble that recipe sounds really good. I'll add 3/4 box of raisins and it will be perfect.

thanks!

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-10-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Hmmm ... I don't know if a lot of raisins would throw off the balance of sweet to sour ... suggest you maybe try putting some in a smaller bowl and try the raisin thing ... or sprinkle some raisins on at serving time if you just have to have them, rather than letting them soak for a long time.

I urge you to try it first as written without any tweaking. My experience is that whenever I am invited for an everybody-bring-something meal, this is what they ask me to bring.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM
I agree with the KFC recommendation (although I couldn't be said to really be a slaw connoisseur.)
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
ok, thanks. It does sound good. It should last several days without going bad since your recipe doesn't use any mayo. Lots of good eating for me and my relatives next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turble View Post
Hmmm ... I don't know if a lot of raisins would throw off the balance of sweet to sour ... suggest you maybe try putting some in a smaller bowl and try the raisin thing ... or sprinkle some raisins on at serving time if you just have to have them, rather than letting them soak for a long time.

I urge you to try it first as written without any tweaking. My experience is that whenever I am invited for an everybody-bring-something meal, this is what they ask me to bring.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
That...sounds ridiculously good. I don't know why I never thought of that.
I'm glad you can see that. The first time I saw CS with sunflower seeds I thought it to be rather dubious. Then I took a bite and was hooked for life.