Old 02-14-2012, 08:58 AM
"Two Broke Girls" sucks

After watching it I think I finally understand what dumb people must feel like after they watch Big Bang Theory.

Sorry to bring in the negativity, but it needed to be said.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Dear god yes. The dialog is stale and the jokes obvious and not funny. Add some truly horrible supporting characters and you get this piece of junk.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
I agree, but Big Bang Theory sucks too.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Yes, it does suck a vast amount. It’s not funny, it’s not interesting, I don’t even think the girls are pretty.
And why does the formerly rich girl wear the big fake beads all the time? They are ugly.
I’m trying to think of something redeeming about this show, but the best part of it is, sometimes they talk about cupcakes. Far better to turn off the TV and just think about cupcakes without the annoying laugh track.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Charter Member
You're continuing to watch it, even though you think it sucks?

I quit after the first episode, and knew it was going to suck after the first two minutes.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
I would swear someone here said the show was great, so I tried it. Not good. Some of the jokes were OK but the actresses are so stiff. They stand there and read their lines like a third grade play.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
but Big Bang Theory sucks too.
Them's fightin' words!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
I would swear someone here said the show was great, so I tried it. Not good. Some of the jokes were OK but the actresses are so stiff. They stand there and read their lines like a third grade play.
This couple friends of ours love the show. However, they love and own Drillbit Taylor and pay full admission to see Harold and Kumar movies.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
This couple friends of ours love the show. However, they love and own Drillbit Taylor and pay full admission to see Harold and Kumar movies.
I wanna hang out with your friends.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
My wife loves it, and I'll come in once in a while during it to see how the girls are looking. Not really eye candy, more like eye popcorn.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I agree that Two Broke Girls sucks, and I've never seen Drillbit Taylor, but the first Harold and Kumar movie was pretty funny. (Although the second one was really weak and I haven't seen the third one yet.)
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
My wife started watching this show. I thought it was terrible from the first episode but would read or poke around online if I was there while she had it on. The last straw for me was an episode where they were in a Goodwill. One of the girls is trying to bargain with the cashier on a pair of shoes, and the other turns to her and says, "I can't believe you're trying to shoe her down." I will no longer be in the same room as that garbage.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
You're continuing to watch it, even though you think it sucks?
I knew I was going to have to explain myself!

My excuse is, my husband puts the TV on for noise while he works. If I’m doing something else in the same room, I can absorb some seriously bad TV. You know what else sucks? Suburgatory.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah it sucks. My wife likes it for some reason. I think the concept is redeemable, but the actors are ruining it. It has improved slightly from the start of the show, which is not even a compliment. Other shows have started off worse and improved more than this. They have been pushing the limits of jokes about sexuality and bodily functions, and I think this is what keeps the show alive. But the actors delivery is awful. They seem to be reading lines they've never seen before off of cue cards. There's a documentary called Exporting Raymond about the creation of a Russian version of Everybody Loves Raymond. Broke Girls looks like one of the failed pilots from that show where the actors just didn't get what the show was about.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
After watching it I think I finally understand what dumb people must feel like after they watch Big Bang Theory.
Two Broke Girls is over your head?

Both shows suck and not due to any failing on my part.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:24 AM
I kept watching it because I saw the potential for a good show there. The two leads have good chemistry and every so often they really do something funny. The problem is it was very uneven and seems to be getting crasser and crasser instead of funnier (Two and a Half Men syndrome) so after three weak episodes in a row I gave up.

The Blonde has talent but needs better material and Kat Dennings is good in other things but strangely, here she is kind of flat (no pun intended?). The show has big ratings so it is probably here to stay but not with me.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
I like it on as background. One out of every five jokes makes my inner 5th grader giggle slightly.
It is something to have on while I am otherwise occupied on the computer.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Charter Member
We keep on watching it. I'm not sure why - I'm not going to argue with any of the posts in this thread. There's nothing else on at that time, and we just finished watching "How I Met Your Mother"?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Two Broke Girls is over your head?

Both shows suck and not due to any failing on my part.
I'm trying to be open-minded about it and am just writing it off as "humor I don't get" so in a sense, sure, let's call it over my head. I must point out, however, that there are very few manifestations of humor I can't laugh at. If I'm allowed to put myself in the proper frame of mind (not a drug reference) I can laugh hysterically at Monty Python, Black Adder, Harold & Kumar, Animal House...hell, even 3's Company.

I can see why someone might not like Big Bang Theory--a lot of it relies on puns made on obscure science stuff. The show is by nerds, about nerds and for nerds.

Last edited by The Great Sun Jester; 02-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The Blonde has talent but needs better material and Kat Dennings is good in other things but strangely, here she is kind of flat (no pun intended?).
I see what you did there.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Just another poorly done fish out of water odd couple show.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
I can see why someone might not like Big Bang Theory
Because it's not funny. I can see when they're trying to be funny, they just aren't making me laugh. Not being "nerd" enough has nothing to do with it -- a single "inside" science/math/computer joke on Futurama is funnier than a season of BBT.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Because it's not funny. I can see when they're trying to be funny, they just aren't making me laugh. Not being "nerd" enough has nothing to do with it -- a single "inside" science/math/computer joke on Futurama is funnier than a season of BBT.
It's secondary humor. The jokes aren't the funny part, watching nerds tell jokes is the funny part.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I keep watching it, and I think I do have to say I like it, but I certainly couldn't argue anyone in this thread who doesn't.

Part of it is that I like Kat Dennings a lot, and that I went to high school with Matt Moy (the diner boss).
Old 02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I watched a half an episode to see what the hubbub was about. Wanted to like it to because of Cat Denning. Not funny, abrasive, loud-for-no-reason, obvious and, again, not funny. It gets mentioned on the same breath as New Girl so often that I figured I'd like it. But these two shows aren't even situated on the same planet.

I don't think The Big Bang Theory is very funny. It isn't abrasive, loud-for-no-reason, obvious or a second not funny. The unfunniness of Two Broke Girls is unfunny squared.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
I like it (not a favorite, but I'll watch it)

The not-so-actoral delivery is what I like. It's more like an extended sketch were they pretend to be the characters without suspension of disbelieve.

I won't shed a tear if they cancelled it.

The hipster-vs-homeless pop quiz is a running joke in my house.

Last edited by Ají de Gallina; 02-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure SF View Post
Part of it is that I like Kat Dennings a lot, and that I went to high school with Matt Moy (the diner boss).
That's cool. What do you think about the character, knowing Matt?

I still watch it too but I also find the acting to be stiff and awkward, and the writing to be weird. And I hate Kat Dennings' lipstick argh!

And I get that the rich girl is rich. Why can't she find something else to wear to clean the bathroom other than a nice sweater and large necklace?

Jennifer Coolidge is on the show now. I don't think she's going to help any more than Garret Morris does.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:39 PM
BANNED
It's a good filler show. It does suck, but it doesn't suck enough to keep me from watching it. I wouldn't put it in my calendar but if it's on and I'm home I'll watch.

It's like junk food for TV. It fills you up, but no good comes from it
Old 02-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Caught an episode just to see what the "buzz" was about. More like "bzzzzt". Really terrible generic old style sitcom.

I do watch some bad shows MST3K style. (E.g., Bleep My Dad Says and for a while Running Wilde.) But there's nothing worth even making fun of here.

Watched a few episodes of Whitney Cummings' other sitcom, but nothing there either. She can clearly make a better (but still not good) show than 2BG, so there's no excuse for this garbage.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:56 PM
Charter Member
Of all the shows mentioned above I think Whitney is the best of the bunch.
I actually think Two and a half men has a chance at fixing what is wrong. Ashton got a haircut, Alan isn't such a snivilling suck ass anymore. I can actually say I thought last night's episode was the best of the season. Yes they had a low bar; but it's improving IMO. I can't stand Two Broke Girls. I have it the college try; the same with New Girl. I wanted to like it because Zooey Deschanel is very likable; but the show just falls flat for me.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Two Broke Girls has had just enough funny moments to hold my interest, but they are fleeting and, generally speaking, the acting is wooden and the dialogue is terrible. I'm not sure how much longer they can get by on a steady stream of obvious masturbation and poopy jokes, but the ratings seem to indicate they're going to get at least one more season to work on it.

I can take it or leave it at this point, but it certainly isn't anywhere near the realm of Must See TV for me.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM
The Big Bang Theory is stupid and I understand the jokes, they just are shitty jokes.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
I can see why someone might not like Big Bang Theory--a lot of it relies on puns made on obscure science stuff. The show is by nerds, about nerds and for nerds.
I cannot disagree with this enough. I am a graduate student in physics and a sci fi, fantasy, and comic book nerd. I can tell you firsthand that Big Bang Theory is not by nerds, and it's not for nerds. It might be about nerds, but in the worst possible way. The reason the "jokes" aren't funny isn't because they are based on obscure topics (and here I am being exceedingly charitable with my use of "obscure"), it's because they aren't, in point of fact, jokes. The scriptwriters simply drop in bare references to things that might conceivably have once been associated with nerds, and then add a laugh track.

"By nerds"? Not on your life. The writers are not nerds. They were never nerds, and they never will be. They've never even met one. They might have been told what nerds are like from someone who met one once, while drunk.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
That's cool. What do you think about the character, knowing Matt?
As much as I'd like Matt to be doing well (and to be fair, he's a regular on a network sitcom so by most metrics he is), I kind of can't stand the character. First off, he has a perfectly normal west coast accent. You'd never think he was anything else just by the sound of his voice. So having him assume a really awful vaguely-Asian accent seems stupid, if not pretty racist.

I thought that maybe that's just how most of America thinks Asian people are. I mean, there aren't that many Asian celebrities, still, so I guess I should be happy they're not all wearing conical hats. But then the TCAs slammed them and the producer just denied everything so… nope, they're just clueless. So yeah, it bums me out. But being a tiny Asian dude limits roles available, so I'm glad he's getting a network paycheck.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:

Sorry to bring in the negativity, but it needed to be said.
I like TBBT, but I didn't know there really were people who thought that it was written with smart people in mind. Huh.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatial Rift 47 View Post
I cannot disagree with this enough. I am a graduate student in physics and a sci fi, fantasy, and comic book nerd. I can tell you firsthand that Big Bang Theory is not by nerds, and it's not for nerds. It might be about nerds, but in the worst possible way.
Don't speak for nerds everywhere man. A lot of us think BBT is pretty funny and that it wears its appreciation for nerds on its sleeve.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Charter Member
Whitney Cummings is a bad comedienne. She tells obvious jokes on warmed over topics. The sooner people realize this, the better. I realize she is just the creator, but that is where the problem with 2 broke girls starts.

That said, I watch it. Kat Dennings has a great rack. I fully recognize that I'm not as evolved as perhaps I could be.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
"By nerds"? Not on your life. The writers are not nerds. They were never nerds, and they never will be. They've never even met one.
This guy seems kinda nerdy.

I don't have any real stock in whether or not anyone likes TBBT. I mean, apart from the fact I do (I can relate to the show because I'm socially awkward, a nerd, reasonably bright in real life, and am closely familiar with someone with Asperger's) and I look forward to watching it when I get the time. I was merely pointing out my personal opinion regarding 2 Broke Girls--that it's puerile, uninspired, and roundly unclever. I also have no stake in whether on not anyone loves the show--but am interested in the opinions of those who do because I would find such minds fascinating to pick through.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Quote:
I cannot disagree with this enough. I am a graduate student in physics and a sci fi, fantasy, and comic book nerd. I can tell you firsthand that Big Bang Theory is not by nerds, and it's not for nerds. It might be about nerds, but in the worst possible way. The reason the "jokes" aren't funny isn't because they are based on obscure topics (and here I am being exceedingly charitable with my use of "obscure"), it's because they aren't, in point of fact, jokes. The scriptwriters simply drop in bare references to things that might conceivably have once been associated with nerds, and then add a laugh track.

"By nerds"? Not on your life. The writers are not nerds. They were never nerds, and they never will be. They've never even met one. They might have been told what nerds are like from someone who met one once, while drunk.
Ironically, I started reading this and a Sheldon voice took over in my head.

Last edited by duality72; 02-14-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 PM
The show's like Maude in that there are only two good reasons to watch it. Adrienne Barbeau were the reasons in Maude-
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
That Polish woman is the worst sitcom character in a long time. I sort of watch the show because it's on after HIMYM (which is getting kind of sucky too).
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
Don't speak for nerds everywhere man. A lot of us think BBT is pretty funny and that it wears its appreciation for nerds on its sleeve.
Huh. Okay, I stand corrected. Not all nerds like intelligent humor.

Inigo, that man is not one of the show's writers.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Me, I can't get enough uber-sassy Kat Dennings. Sure, some jokes are cheap (although, quite frankly, shows like Bing Bang or even HIMYM are pretty much the same in that department.) but you do get the occasional moment of Kat putting down someone or being sarcastically self-deprecating that makes it all worthwhile.

Detective: He lived alone, been dead two weeks
Max: Cats eat his face?
Caroline: Max! Can you not be so dark?
Max: Kittens eat his face?
Old 02-15-2012, 07:09 AM
I think someone on this board described TBBT as nerd blackface, that kind of fits. TBBT and Two Broke Girls are just really typical sitcoms, they kind of feel like a throwback to the 80s when people still watched typical sitcoms and they remind me of why we got tired of them.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 AM
For me the only good thing about the show is the blond, Beth Behrs. I am looking forward to seeing her in other roles. For some reason, I find her fascinating. According to IMDB, she's pretty new on the scene. I think she shows promise.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Charter Member
I watch 2 Broke Girls, but for me it's more about the characters than the awful, awful jokes. Though the woman Max nannies for is pretty funny in a totally unbelievable way.

But then, I liked Free Agents with Kathryn Hahn and Hank Azaria, and that was canceled unceremoniously, so I accept that I'm not the most normal tv watcher.

Last edited by foolsguinea; 02-15-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM
I think the show would be much better if Kat Whatsherface didn't deliver every single line in the exact same monotone. It's just grating.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Quote:
I'm a working physicists. I get the jokes, they're just not funny. (also, the show doesn't really rely on obscure references that much. 30 Rock is probably a "smarter" show the BBT in that way, despite the former being about TV writers and the latter about physicists.)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
That said, I watch it. Kat Dennings has a great rack. I fully recognize that I'm not as evolved as perhaps I could be.
I wholeheartedly endorse this post. Problem is, she doesn't show enough of said rack.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
I once saw an episode of Two Broke Girls where the affiliate screwed up and the only sound was the laugh track and the musical bits between scenes. It was hilarious. Based on their body language, I could piece together the scene very easily.

Caroline: (suggests a money-making scheme in a very chipper and optimistic way)
Max: (cuts her down with a cynical and sassy comment)
(laugh track)
Caroline: (slightly perturbed, continues to optimistically try to convince Max to go along with her plan)
Oleg: (pokes his head out of the kitchen, says something disgusting)
(laugh track)

That went on for about eight minutes before they fixed it.

Big Bang Theory is inconsistent enough that people who don't like it can cherry-pick plenty of lame jokes as "proof" that the show is consistently bad. People who like the show remember more than enough good bits to be willing to gloss over the sub-par bits. The people in this thread arguing over it? They're talking past each other.