Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Why is my cat chewing my charger cord and how can I get him to stop?

My cat has suddenly started chewing on the cord to my mac charger. We've had him almost one year and I'm on my second cord in 3 weeks. They are $80.00!

I keep my laptop plugged in while I use it because I need the brighter light. I try to bury the wire in the cushions of the couch, but he gets to it. This morning I couldn't get the cord to work until I straightened it out. There are bite marks on this one already and I just got it yesterday.

Anybody have any ideas about why he might be doing this or at least a way to protect the darn thing from him. I can't keep replacing them at this price.

Thanks in advance. He's making me very cranky.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Charter Member
Smear some hot sauce on the cord. Hope your cat isn't Mexican.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Get some aquarium tubing and run the cord through it.
It's available at pet stores, hardware stores, and online.

You may have to slice it open lengthwise with a small box cutter to get the wire inside.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM
cats have been trained by Apple to do this to generate replacement product revenue.

it is a common for cats to be attracted to some plastics in cords. cable management products like spirals would protect it.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Like I'd trust anything a guy with cat in his name has to offer.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I'll look into the tubing and spirals. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Graphite is a great
Opinions are best found in IMHO. Moved from General Questions.
samclem, Moderator
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Quote:
Like I'd trust anything a guy with cat in his name has to offer.
You caught me. I like hot sauce. Electrical cords, not so much.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM
If you care about the why part, it is due to a chemical they use in certain plastics that Some cats find to be yummy. My Steve eats everything from trash bags to army men. It gets expensive to remove such things from a feline digestive tract.

Tubing works on wires for him as long as it is the stuff for fish tanks, not the tube on a roll from the hardware store.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaRhubarb View Post
Tubing works on wires for him as long as it is the stuff for fish tanks, not the tube on a roll from the hardware store.
OK, I'll bite. What's the chemical difference?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Quote:
OK, I'll bite.
I see what you did there ....

and after 10 posts, nobody has obeyed the....ahem....you know....rules about kitty threads.

(and who names a kitty Steve, anyway?)

Last edited by chappachula; 02-26-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
OK, I'll bite...
*sprays Musi with water bottle

There are a few websites that give long answers involving polycarbons and long string molecules and other such things that I have no grasp of. My short answer is the roll tube is sickly sweet smelling, even to me.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
I see what you did there ....

and after 10 posts, nobody has obeyed the....ahem....you know....rules about kitty threads.

(and who names a kitty Steve, anyway?)
Steve McQueen is a perfect name for my stunt Kitty. I have a thread named "I have 400 cats" with a pic of Steve (and many others) but can't figure out how to copy paste on my handheld.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
My cat only loves Apple cords, for whatever reason. I finally just started wrapping my apple cords with electrical tape. Didn't look pretty, but my cat stopped being attracted to the cord chew feast.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Just put a newspaper near the cord, a cat-arms length away. Your cat will then inevitably sit on it every time he gets near the cord, but won't be able to reach it!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM
Get some cable raceway, like these.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Bitter Apple is dog tech. Check your pet stores. Since it doesn't work with some dogs, I won't promise it will work with your cat. I think the tubing sounds good too.

When the cable tech was here to set up my internet, he couldn't find my tower. Of course, it was at the very top of the computer desk. That way all the cables run up to it out of the reach of the dogs. I have the plate for cable in and ethernet to the other end of the house 4' off the floor. I replaced the cord on the surge protector with BX.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:34 PM
The pre-slit corrugated tubing used to enclose automotive wiring works well, is inexpensive, is light weight and is available in various sizes at auto supply stores. NAPA has it in bulk rolls and will cut it to length for you.

I used it to protect my mother-in-laws oxygen tube from the "cat from hell ", the vets words not just mine.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM
My cat chewed through several headphone cords (which I can't put inside a spiral or tube) before I figured out that cats don't mind bitter apple but they do mind Capsaicin muscle ointment. I have now had the same headphone cord for 2 years and nary a tooth mark.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Well, my new cord no longer works. It lasted all of two days. $80.00 I can ill afford.
Damn.

I hope one of these ideas will work. I'm quite peeved with Max. I have a picture of him in the gallery. He looks innocent, but he is not.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Can you repair the wire? May not meet code.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Why are you spending $80 on a cord?
I'm sure this will carry electrons just as well as a genuine Apple brand cord.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Why are you spending $80 on a cord?
I'm sure this will carry electrons just as well as a genuine Apple brand cord.
Thanks, I did look online prior to buying the $80.00 one from Best Buy, but I got impatient with too many choices with bad reviews. Perhaps I'll give it another try.

I did get this one to work again finally by bending it and stretching it out. Thanks for all the responses everyone.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM
The quickest fix is dish soap. Never met a cat who likes it. Soap in palm of hand - rub hands together - run hands down length of cord - wash hands. Done.

Cord might get a little tacky, but it's just soap, yanno? Re-apply as needed, I've only needed to do it twice.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote:
This is what I came in here to say. When we first got our cat, he had a bad habit of chewing on cords also - lamp, TV, computer, you name it.

But one day I wiped some Tabasco on them, and it got him to immediately stop.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDragonTattoo View Post
The quickest fix is dish soap. Never met a cat who likes it. Soap in palm of hand - rub hands together - run hands down length of cord - wash hands. Done.

Cord might get a little tacky, but it's just soap, yanno? Re-apply as needed, I've only needed to do it twice.
Yeah-that's how I thought I'd keep Boris from licking all my pots clean-just immediately fill them with soapy water and leave in the sink to soak until I wash them. On the plus side, his vomit is now nice and sudsy with built in carpet-cleaner.

I also don't think the hot sauce would work. I tried to keep his sister from going for the potato chips by switching to blazing hot buffalo flavor but she apparently likes them.

Last edited by psychobunny; 03-01-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Duct Tape

Cats love those white cables for some reason - Apple or Android. Bought two of them and they were gone in two weeks. Wrap a strip of Duct Tape around it, and trim off the excess. Very ugly, but the cat won't come near it.

Last edited by Malones; 04-07-2015 at 05:27 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old 04-07-2015, 01:43 PM
My youngest dog would eat anything electronic as a pup - cabling (yum!), remote controls (crunchy!), cell phones (tasty!), etc.

I was told that part of the reason they do this is that they are attracted to the low-pulse power going through the cord or device. I was told to power things down when not in use and this would stop (or in the case of the remote, remove the battery). By gosh, it worked! We went from chewing everything to chewing nothing. He completely lost interest in these items unless they were powered.

Couldn't hurt to try.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malones View Post
Cats love those white cables for some reason - Apple or Android. Bought two of them and they were gone in two weeks. Wrap a strip of Duct Tape around it, and trim off the excess. Very ugly, but the cat won't come near it.
EERIE!!

Same exact experience this week, except the cat destroyed the Mac cable (white), the two samsung white cables, but left the black wires on the other gizmo adapters totally untouched. I could not repair the Apple cable, despite trying to splice it. Got luckier with the Samsung cords (they're not standard USB cables so....) I too, wrapped black electrical tape around all of them. Let's hope it works. I don't want to do the tabasco sauce route
Old 04-07-2015, 11:52 PM
If the cable is still plugged in surely at some point if the cat keeps chewing it's going to an electric shock isn't it?

Otherwise mix some cayenne pepper into some eucalyptus chest rub and wipe a bit on the cables.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:59 PM
He does it because cats are dumb. To solve it you do what we did to get Dad's bunny to stop chewing up their laptop cables - you wrap them in split loom tubing. It's much easier to deal with than something fully solid would be, and it's not too expensive, either. We used the 1/4" kind here at amazon.