Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM
I am so sick of loud motorcycles

The wannabe tough guys on their ridiculously loud motorcycles are once again besieging the normally peaceful roads of NH.

Every year in April, the mouth breathing cunts take to the streets on their louder than fuck ass-jewelry for the sole purpose of being noticed.

We get it, you want to be seen and to have your existence recognized. Why else would you parade around in your gaudy leather and helmet-less head, with two unmuffled exhaust pipes spilling untold decibles into the peaceful Sunday air?

Please, please blip your throttle again while sitting at the traffic light. Yes, blip it once more! Again! You are a sexy beast sitting on all that chrome, your fat gut hanging over your belt and touching the gas tank and your blubbery jowls barely hidden behind your ridiculous face hair. If I were a woman, then surely my panties would be flooded, oh yes, blip that throttle again! I bet sex with you would be like riding a magnificent and powerful bean bag.

Perhaps someday this ridiculous trend of noise will cease.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 PM
BANNED
This might make you feel better.

Also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky!
I bet sex with you would be like riding a magnificent and powerful bean bag.
Gave me a genuine LOL! So cheers
Old 04-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Gar, loud motorcycles drive me insane, and this is coming from someone who likes noise. I sleep with the radio on. I like living on a major street and being able to hear buses go by and people outside going on about their business. But the sounds of buses and people talking are fine, as they are normal sounds of human beings existing together in a city. Rigging your goddamn motorbike so that it's louder than a fucking rocket just means you're an asshole who should be shot in the dick, particularly when you pull this shit early in the morning.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Charter Member
Could you give us a description of the video so those of us not in the US can view it?

I hate loud motor bikes, too. Nothing says "It's summer!" like the sound of ignorant assholes blatting up and down the street, advertising that their mommies didn't pay enough attention to them.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:44 PM
So, am I going to get anywhere with the "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES" argument?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I will cut you.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I will cut you.
I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud and almost spit something up.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surb View Post
Probably, but not where you want.

And I'm shocked that no one has called the OP on the fat aspect of his bitch. I mean, come on... this is the pit.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
I'll let you know when I see monkeys flying out of my ass.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
LOL! Actually I put baffles on my bike because it was too loud. I didn't want to be more of an asshole than usual.

I have no argument for the "fat gut" other than I'm working on it.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
BANNED
"Loud pipes save lives" - tell that to the guy I just shot for having loud pipes 10 feet from my front door. (not that I really did that, just using hyperbole and all that)

I'd have to say that no, loud pipes don't save lives - lots of reflective clothing, an obscene amount of lights for night riding, and extremely defensive riding is what saves lives.

Not loud pipes. Ever.

Last edited by Uber_the_Goober; 04-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Holding a line across the road in front of a motorcycle could kill the rider, so don't do it.

Pretending to hold an invisible line across the road in front of a motorcyle, however, . . . http://youtu.be/EccnBdL16ns
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 PM
I never understood LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. No they don't. When are loud pipes actually loudest? After the motorcycle has already passed by you and is ahead of you/your blind spot.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit View Post
I never understood LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES. No they don't. When are loud pipes actually loudest? After the motorcycle has already passed by you and is ahead of you/your blind spot.
That's completely wrong. They're loudest when revving while stationary at an intersection

Last edited by Ludovic; 04-15-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Maybe yes, maybe no.

But they sure as fuck DO NOT for the 5 minutes random you (not you you) and 2dozen other short dicked assholes spent sitting in the state park parking lot idling and fucking reving your short dick announcement devices.

Hmmm, I like the idea of a "loud pipes = short dicks" bumper sticker...

Last edited by billfish678; 04-15-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Quote:
If you're stupid enough to choose a method of transportation that requires you to make a total ass of yourself to be safe then you deserve a Darwin Award.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit View Post
Bike rider here. This is just wrong. When you are riding with the flow of traffic, people around you are more aware of your existence. Hence, I would argue that louder pipes are safer for the rider.

But all that doesn't mean shit when the rider isn't wearing a helmet.

I have asshole pipes. For those who didn't know, there are varying levels of asshole you can buy. Mine are somewhere in the mid range.

That being said, there are things you can do to NOT offend people.

Myself, I let my bike idle (or just slightly more than idle) until I'm out of the neighborhood and on the major roads.

No, early morning start ups. Unless I'm riding my bike to work.

I wont argue loud pipes saves lives. All I can say is I've had both. With the quite pipes, I pretty much had to drive like I was invisible. Because nobnody ever thinks to look for bike riders when they are driving down the road. With the loud pipes, this happens less often.

That's been my experience anyway.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tao's Revenge View Post
If you're stupid enough to choose a method of transportation that requires you to make a total ass of yourself to be safe then you deserve a Darwin Award.
Sorry dumpass, I have already reproduced. Several times.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
Bike rider here. This is just wrong. When you are riding with the flow of traffic, people around you are more aware of your existence. Hence, I would argue that louder pipes are safer for the rider.

But all that doesn't mean shit when the rider isn't wearing a helmet.

I have asshole pipes. For those who didn't know, there are varying levels of asshole you can buy. Mine are somewhere in the mid range.

That being said, there are things you can do to NOT offend people.

Myself, I let my bike idle (or just slightly more than idle) until I'm out of the neighborhood and on the major roads.

No, early morning start ups. Unless I'm riding my bike to work.

I wont argue loud pipes saves lives. All I can say is I've had both. With the quite pipes, I pretty much had to drive like I was invisible. Because nobnody ever thinks to look for bike riders when they are driving down the road. With the loud pipes, this happens less often.

That's been my experience anyway.

Instead of being a mid range asshole, why don't you just take a car, if sensible exhaust systems are unsafe?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Sorry dumpass, I have already reproduced. Several times.
First, why not take a car, if motorcycles are unsafe? Why do you feel entitled to disturb everyone else's peace?

Secondly, dumpass sounds like a terrible medical condition.

Last edited by The Tao's Revenge; 04-15-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
You aren't really reading are you? You just spewing bullshit hoping something sticks. Read, really read the thread this time, and then reply.

Here, I will explain it for you since you seem to be simple. I was making a joke to MOL. See a few posts down where I said I put baffles on the bike. Since you either didn't read or just don't know, baffles quiet the pipes.

I am sorry I brought up the loud pipes, I don't have, nor do I endorse the use of excessively loud exhaust on motorcycles or any other vehicle for that matter. It was a fucking joke.

So wipe the Cheetos crumbs off your underbritches, go upstairs and ask your mom if you can stay up later, and then read the thread. If you need help with the big words, I am sure that someone here can help you, if you can't figure out how to use Google. Dumpass.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Quote:
You aren't really reading are you? You just spewing bullshit hoping something sticks. Read, really read the thread this time, and then reply.

Here, I will explain it for you since you seem to be simple. I was making a joke to MOL. See a few posts down where I said I put baffles on the bike. Since you either didn't read or just don't know, baffles quiet the pipes.

I am sorry I brought up the loud pipes, I don't have, nor do I endorse the use of excessively loud exhaust on motorcycles or any other vehicle for that matter. It was a fucking joke.

So wipe the Cheetos crumbs off your underbritches, go upstairs and ask your mom if you can stay up later, and then read the thread. If you need help with the big words, I am sure that someone here can help you, if you can't figure out how to use Google. Dumpass.
Read the fucking thread yourself. I wasn't the only one you whooshed. I apologize for not catching you were kidding.

However you were quoting an argument of the jackass who woke me up from my nice Sunday nap might have used. The product of of goat rape had a radio on full blast so he could hear it over his defective pipes. You understand why I might be a bit hostile, yeah?

Also, you know "dumppass" is regional slang? You look dyslexic to a world that thinks you meant "dumbass". FYI.

Last edited by The Tao's Revenge; 04-15-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Instead of being a mid range asshole, why don't you just take a car, if sensible exhaust systems are unsafe?
Because I enjoy riding.

I came to a solution as to what I see as a reasonable compromise.

If people still want to get pissy at me over that; they can go fuck themselves.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Read the fucking thread yourself. I wasn't the only one you whooshed. I apologize for not catching you were kidding.

However you were quoting an argument of the jackass who woke me up from my nice Sunday nap might have used. The product of of goat rape had a radio on full blast so he could hear it over his defective pipes. You understand why I might be a bit hostile, yeah?

Also, you know "dumppass" is regional slang? You look dyslexic to a world that thinks you meant "dumbass". FYI.
Only one "p" in dumpass

Last edited by The Surb; 04-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm feeling all your (hearing) pain. I live close to Route 66 where they have motorcycle races twice a year - on the track. All the others happen on the street, late at night. The only buffer between me and the street is about to be razed so they can straighten out a curve. DUH - I figure that this will only perfect the street racing I applaud those who try to lessen the noise factor in residential/suburban areas. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:

And therein lies the problem with most biker types: that go fuck yourselves attitude. But it's fake attitude, isn't it. When they take off their German WWII helmets and their leathers and put on their office attire, they're just about as un-rebellious and milktoast as they come. So they're really just about making a lot of noise to annoy people, showing some attitude, and having nothing to back it up. It's pretty pathetic.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM
BANNED
There's one guy around here who seems only to ride around in circles around the block because you hear him, it goes slowly away and then vrroooom it's back again.

It's very weird. Like he's afraid to ride it off our very quiet suburban block.

If I *ever* get that sweet little Vespa I've been dreaming of, I promise not to trick it out with asshole pipes.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Apropos of assholes on loud bikes, this biker bar near me just closed down.

Almost makes me believe in Og.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6160 View Post
"Loud pipes save lives" - tell that to the guy I just shot for having loud pipes 10 feet from my front door. (not that I really did that, just using hyperbole and all that)<snip>
That's what I always say - "Loud pipes don't save your life when your neighbour kills you one night."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
That's completely wrong. They're loudest when revving while stationary at an intersection
No, I think they're loudest in your quiet neighbourhood in the middle of the night.

Quote:
<snip> The product of of goat rape had a radio on full blast so he could hear it over his defective pipes.<snip>
There's a special level of hell for the assholes who do that.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
And therein lies the problem with most biker types: that go fuck yourselves attitude. But it's fake attitude, isn't it. When they take off their German WWII helmets and their leathers and put on their office attire, they're just about as un-rebellious and milktoast as they come. So they're really just about making a lot of noise to annoy people, showing some attitude, and having nothing to back it up. It's pretty pathetic.
I try to be considerate Chefguy, I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Last edited by Grrr!; 04-15-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Quote:
Because I enjoy riding.

I came to a solution as to what I see as a reasonable compromise.

With whom did you consult to arrive at this compromise? Nobody, most likely?
You deciding how much of an asshole you get to be and everybody else lives with it isn't compromise, little buckaroo. Do you also compromise this way on how much you talk in movie theaters, fart in elevators, and other common annoyances?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
With whom did you consult to arrive at this compromise? Nobody, most likely?
You deciding how much of an asshole you get to be and everybody else lives with it isn't compromise, little buckaroo. Do you also compromise this way on how much you talk in movie theaters, fart in elevators, and other common annoyances?
What am I supposed to do? Hold a summit?

I sympathize for those folks who get woke up on a lazy sunday morning. I really do. This is why I keep it quite when I'm in my neighborhood.

As for those people who want to cry because they had to deal with a few seconds of loud noise while they were sitting at a redlight on a Wednseday afternoon? Boo hoo cry me a fuck'n river.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM
What about the people in neighborhoods other than yours, Silly Billy? Aren't they entitled to the basic courtesy of not having their peace disturbed by your noisy ride? Pretty sure I remember you in a previous thread on this same topic. Seems like you were a defensive Whiny Wilma in that one too. It seems almost as if you want to behave like an asshole but want us to tell you it's okay for you to be that asshole. My guess is that just isn't going to happen, slugger.
come on, you can tell us the truth...as you ride your two wheeled noisemaker, you secretly believe people on the street watch you go by in awe of your coolness. You even steal glances out of the corners of your eyes trying to catch one admiring you, don't you?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
I don't know where you live, but in S Cal you are out of your mind. For the most part, our windows are rolled up and the radios/CDs/tapes are going, so we aren't going to hear your pipes until you are pretty much right next to us. And if you time it just right, you'll startle the driver and you've got a 50/50 chance that he won't startle into you instead of away from you.

No matter where you live, if you are in traffic, those asshole pipes are going to echo around so drivers aren't going to know where you are until you are on top of them anyway.

You know what is safer for a rider? Paying attention and not expecting others to save your life. Assholes, both riders and pipes, cause trouble on the road, and bikes lose in those situations.

(Never have figured out why it's legal for bikes to make all that noise when cars can't.)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM
I have near silent pipes, even reving the engine barely makes any noise.

I feel safe in traffic because YOU can see me, I am very visible due to colors, lights, flash etc. You will not see me drive up between your cars or pass with little room to spare or slow down 300 yards before a red light because I don't want to put my feet down.

I hate asshole cycle drivers as much as anyone.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlcoat View Post
<snip>
(Never have figured out why it's legal for bikes to make all that noise when cars can't.)
It isn't legal - it just isn't enforced very well.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:02 AM
I ride a quiet motorcycle, too. Loud bikes and rude bikers irritate me. On the other hand, loud pipes and truck nuts make it easy to identify the immature and/or retarded. So there is that.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Quote:
What am I supposed to do? Hold a summit?
Nah, just don't put loud pipes on your bike. It's just common courtesy if your hobby is riding. If your hobby is disturbing the peace, however, . . . .
Old 04-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
What about the people in neighborhoods other than yours, Silly Billy? Aren't they entitled to the basic courtesy of not having their peace disturbed by your noisy ride? Pretty sure I remember you in a previous thread on this same topic. Seems like you were a defensive Whiny Wilma in that one too. It seems almost as if you want to behave like an asshole but want us to tell you it's okay for you to be that asshole. My guess is that just isn't going to happen, slugger.
come on, you can tell us the truth...as you ride your two wheeled noisemaker, you secretly believe people on the street watch you go by in awe of your coolness. You even steal glances out of the corners of your eyes trying to catch one admiring you, don't you?
LOL, seriously, if you want to call me names, please use names like "Jack ass" or "Dick head" etc.

Anyway, I don't ride through anyboby's neighborhood except my own. Where do you get that I have this burning desire to be an asshole? Is it simply for the fact that I own loud pipes?

I bought the pipes because I liked the way they looked on my bike. Not because they were loud and I thought they would save my life. Because that would be asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlcoat View Post
I don't know where you live, but in S Cal you are out of your mind. For the most part, our windows are rolled up and the radios/CDs/tapes are going, so we aren't going to hear your pipes until you are pretty much right next to us. And if you time it just right, you'll startle the driver and you've got a 50/50 chance that he won't startle into you instead of away from you.

No matter where you live, if you are in traffic, those asshole pipes are going to echo around so drivers aren't going to know where you are until you are on top of them anyway.

You know what is safer for a rider? Paying attention and not expecting others to save your life. Assholes, both riders and pipes, cause trouble on the road, and bikes lose in those situations.

That's your armchair theory. All I have to offer is my own personal experience. No, this isn't proof, far from it. Just saying, that's what I've noticed. And like I said above, having loud pipes so people wouldn't run over me wasn't my impetus for buying the pipes. I just thought they looked cool.

As far as the ride safely thing goes, I agree. 20+ years of riding and I haven't been run over yet.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
Could you give us a description of the video so those of us not in the US can view it?
Here are the highlights. [offensive language]

Quote:
I hate loud motor bikes, too. Nothing says "It's summer!" like the sound of ignorant assholes blatting up and down the street, advertising that their mommies didn't pay enough attention to them.
Then you should appreciate the video. (The complete episode is much funnier than just those highlights, though.)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky! View Post
Pigs will fly first.

My bike is medium loud. Those POS cars with loud mufflers and $5000 stereo systems drown my bike out. A new neighbor moved into the rental down the street and his diesel truck is louder than my bike and he starts it, lets it warm up for HOURS (well maybe only 20 minutes) at 6am. His wife gives me stink eye when I dare to start my bike at 7am.

Don't even get me started about loud sterios at 2 am, or my crazy neighbor lady standing in the street and screaming at them. Or the barking dogs or screaming like they are dieing kids.

Noise is a part of life. Everyone gets all butthurt about other people's noise while not noticing their own.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:38 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post

Oh, sorry. Forgot about that. The video is of an episode of South Park called 'The F-word' in which the boys deal with a bunch of inconsiderate Harley drivers, and also hold a summit on the meaning of the word 'Faggot' while they're at it. It's one of their better ones
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Charter Member
If loud pipes do save lives, that's a shame.

One of the board's most predictable topics: you'll always get a few loud-pipe fucksticks chiming in with an eloquent "I ain't care what you's all think! This is AMURKA!" Pretty much what you'd expect if you managed to pull one of the morons over and scream "WHY?" into his tinnitus-wracked ear holes.

It's a special kind of assholery that's immune to reason. Don't waste your time.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Noise is a part of life. Everyone gets all butthurt about other people's noise while not noticing their own.
Part of your life. I was in a neighbourhood like yours, so I moved to where people are more courteous.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Don't even get me started about loud sterios at 2 am, or my crazy neighbor lady standing in the street and screaming at them. Or the barking dogs or screaming like they are dieing kids.
Right. There have been a considerable lack of threads on the SDMB bemoaning crazy neighbors and loud stereos late at night.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:27 AM
OK, there is a motorcycle idiot on my block I think everyone in this thread can hate. I wouldn't mind a bit if he rode his bike to and from wherever he wants to go--but he rides it up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down the street for no apparent reason, at all hours, revving as loud as he can. I even saw him with his toddler on the handlebars once.

If I had a slingshot, there would be fewer but better neighbors on my block.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
"Loud pipes save lives" is a proverb* in use among motorcycle riders. As a proverb, it represents folk wisdom, not necessarily science. As a proverb, it says more about group identity and values than it does about reality.

Certainly, being loud makes people more likely to look for you, and many drivers of cars are fairly insulated from the sounds outside. So part of what the proverb is for is communicating safety. But as people pointed out above, there are other ways of being safe, and most motorcyclists don't want to do these (some or all of not being on a motorcycle at all, wearing reflective dayglo colours, not splitting lanes, keeping with the flow of traffic).

Equally, the proverb functions as a justification for behaviour that distinguishes the group from others, particularly other users of the roads (i.e. car drivers). The proverb says "we're more concerned about the group than what people think of the group. Yeah!" as well as expressing the fact that riding motorcycles is inherently risky, possibly deadly. It also reinforces the idea that being a motorcyclist involves being loud. Loud is a positive feature of the group identity.

For that reason, motorcyclists are always going to say, "yeah, we're loud. So what?" or at best, "well, some people go too far, but loud is important / necessary for our safety." It's very hard for people to take one aspect of their group identity and analyze it critically. For example, lots of other cultures find Americans to be loud. Assuming you're American while reading this, how can you react other than defensively, even if it's objectively true? (Note the "even if": I don't know if it is true, and I don't care. It's just an example.)

*A traditional sentence expressing wisdom, known and used by many different speakers, usually with poetic features (in this case, assonance of the vowels aʊ̯ aɪ̯ eɪ̯ aɪ̯, and consisting of two iambic feet).
Old 04-16-2012, 08:53 AM
My first bike was pretty loud- it was a used bike, and the previous owner had installed Cobra pipes. I always felt a little guilty riding it, even though I live out in the country and was unlikely to annoy my neighbors.

My new bike has stock pipes on it, so it's much quieter. I've never believing in the idea that "Loud pipes save lives", because I know that when I'm in my truck, with my music playing, I'm unlikely to hear even the loudest motorcycle unless it's right next to me... generally when I'm sitting at a stoplight. When I'm on the bike, I just assume that I'm invisible, and try to drive as if everyone's out to kill me. That seems like a better idea than just assuming that they hear me.

That said, I am going to buy some more lights, because I know that at night a motorcycle with a single headlight can be kind of confusing- my first thought is, "I wonder if that's a car with a broken headlight," and the second thought is "I wonder how far away that motorcycle really is?" I think that multiple headlights do more for making me known to the other drivers than loud pipes would.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Holding a line across the road in front of a motorcycle could kill the rider, so don't do it.

Pretending to hold an invisible line across the road in front of a motorcyle, however, . . . http://youtu.be/EccnBdL16ns
May I say that I don't normally come into the Pit, but that I decided to because I too suffer from loud motorcycles? A couple of idiots apparently redlining their bikes while sitting at the traffic light outside of my apartment a few weeks back very nearly moved me to violence.

This video, though, makes me ever so glad there are jerks with loud bikes, and fed-up dopers complaining about them. Hilarious.

Also, I may at some point start my own thread about truckers who install railroad horns on their rigs and then use them in Manhattan...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Quote:
When I'm on the bike, I just assume that I'm invisible, and try to drive as if everyone's out to kill me.
This attitude saves more lives than loud pipes, lights, horns, and reflective clothing put together. Motorcyclists need to get over the mistaken idea that we are equal participants in traffic. We're more of a moving target.

Last edited by Scumpup; 04-16-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: typo