#1
Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: A house.
Posts: 3,717
Buying the floor model

I went to go buy a pair of sunglasses in the "fashion" section of Target. They all seemed so flimsy but at $12.00, one can't expect much. I go to the mall and look at Sunglass Hut. They typically run at $100 and up. I saw a pair I liked... They were $170.00 (ouch). I seriously considered them... Until they informed me I was buying the floor model. No discount.
No thanks! Sure they might be fine but it seems like if are asking almost 200.00... I want a minty fresh pair.

What are your thoughts on buying the floor model? The salesclerk looked at me like I was being unreasonable. I can't be the only one, right?
#2
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 30,661
You don't need the funky items.

If you wear glasses, go to your optometrist.

Color-changing prescription glasses are available.
__________________
Only two types of people wear speedos to the public pool -- great athletes and perverts.
WHICH ONE are you?
~~Roger Smith, "American Dad"
#3
Old 05-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 33,496
Something like Sunglasses Hut, I never considered the stock on display as being "the floor model". It's the stock. It's on display. If you buy one of the glasses on display, they take another out of the drawer to replace it on display, don't they?

(I guess I don't really know for sure, since I'm not in that market and haven't bought anything from there, but I just assumed it worked like the silver jewelery or hippie handbag kiosks at the mall...)

But if I'm buying a computer or vacuum cleaner or something else that's not routinely rotated from stockroom to salesfloor, yes, I'll ask for a discount. Generally there's some small scratch or dent from frequent handling that I can point to as evidence that a discount is warranted, though. I'm not sure I'd have to balls to request a discount for an item which has merely been stared at a lot.
#4
Old 05-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: A house.
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Something like Sunglasses Hut, I never considered the stock on display as being "the floor model". It's the stock. It's on display. If you buy one of the glasses on display, they take another out of the drawer to replace it on display, don't they?
The only model they had was the one on display. They "didn't have any others in that model". I don't want to buy an expensive pair that everyone has been trying on.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor, I am not sure what "funky items" you are referring to.


Another reason I don't buy floor models is because a lot of things require assembly. I don't know if they assembled it correctly or if they still have any paperwork that came with it.
#5
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lovely Montclair, NJ
Posts: 12,418
WRT a boutique like Sunglass Hut, folks shouldn't be free to manhandle the merchandise, they try them on, under supervision, then hand it back. It's gentle use, like at a jewelry store. There's a big difference between that and having an open display of sunglasses getting pawed over by every person who walks by. Or the floor model TV set that's been on 10 hours a day for the last 5 months.
#6
Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 26,241
I'm okay with it. When I bought my last computer, I looked online to see what versions Best Buy had, read reviews of them, and decided to pick up the Asus tower. Went down to the store and they had it on display, it looked good, so I said I'd buy one. "Sorry, sir." Turns out there was a new (unknown and un-reviewed) model coming out "real soon now" and they had been told to return all the boxed versions of that model. I bought the demo model, and got the computer I wanted with a 10% discount.
#7
Old 05-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oh-hiya-Maude
Posts: 4,173
I've bought lots of floor models of various things. A 10% discount is always the starting point for negotiations, and then I start looking for scratches/dents/missing things and using them to work the price down. Managers have a lot of leeway in price when selling the floor model, I've found.

Even if the sunglasses were 100% pristine and put back in the original box with all the original wrappers and whatnot, I'd still expect a 10% discount. You weren't being unreasonable.
#8
Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 40,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethilrist View Post
I'm okay with it. When I bought my last computer, I looked online to see what versions Best Buy had, read reviews of them, and decided to pick up the Asus tower. Went down to the store and they had it on display, it looked good, so I said I'd buy one. "Sorry, sir." Turns out there was a new (unknown and un-reviewed) model coming out "real soon now" and they had been told to return all the boxed versions of that model. I bought the demo model, and got the computer I wanted with a 10% discount.
My daughter's college computer was a floor model. I was wary, but she pointed out that we had computers running in our labs 24/7 for years without any hardware issues. They gave us a discount and reformatted the hard drive. Worked fine (the one issue it had -- overheating -- was a problem with all computers of that model).

But a floor model usually refers to a mechanical or electronic device that is set up in order to demonstrate how the item works. Sunglasses are put out on the floor to sell, and there is no demonstration. Worry about people touching them and trying them on is overly fastidious. You buy clothes off the rack, don't you?
__________________
"Deck us all with Boston Charlie,/Walla Walla, Wash., an’ Kalamazoo!/Nora’s freezin’ on the trolley,/Swaller dollar cauliflower alley-garoo!
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.

Last edited by RealityChuck; 05-09-2012 at 02:04 PM.
#9
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,119
I've bought a floor model computer, and a TV, and once time, a shirt -- sales clerk took it right off the mannequin. It was the only one in the size I needed. Got small discounts on everything.

One time I couldn't get the floor model -- an artificial Christmas tree. It was the only one left in stock, the store wasn't going to be getting any more of them, but the clerk said no. I could understand the denial if the tree was part of the store's display, but it was one of many (the others were different sizes). I figured the clerk probably had dibs on it.
#10
Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Dogpatch/Middle TN.
Posts: 30,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Baboon View Post
The only model they had was the one on display. They "didn't have any others in that model". I don't want to buy an expensive pair that everyone has been trying on.

Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor, I am not sure what "funky items" you are referring to.


Another reason I don't buy floor models is because a lot of things require assembly. I don't know if they assembled it correctly or if they still have any paperwork that came with it.
The pricy glasses--go with "useful & utilitarian". And cheap.
#11
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: A house.
Posts: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
My daughter's college computer was a floor model. I was wary, but she pointed out that we had computers running in our labs 24/7 for years without any hardware issues. They gave us a discount and reformatted the hard drive. Worked fine (the one issue it had -- overheating -- was a problem with all computers of that model).

But a floor model usually refers to a mechanical or electronic device that is set up in order to demonstrate how the item works. Sunglasses are put out on the floor to sell, and there is no demonstration. Worry about people touching them and trying them on is overly fastidious. You buy clothes off the rack, don't you?
I do buy clothes off the rack, but not it's the only one that all the interested people have been trying on. Several of the pairs the had they had extras of. Its not the case of what's on display is all that's out.Just not the ones I wanted. Sure, they shouldn't be manhandled but I've seen how crowded malls are. When i went in, there was one clerk and 3 different customers. I dont think they keep an eye on the manhandling as much as you give them credit for. IMO, they just weren't worth it.

AndBosda, I explained I wanted a nicer, sturdier pair. I've had "nice" one and "cheap" utilitarian ones... I didn't think the lenses were the same or the frames as sturdy.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: dude definition elephant persian girl pirate with parrot kolache wikipedia snl subway announcer chile country pronunciation antz cursing cock rock bands open soffits soaking boots definition goomba dominos salami existentialist author holy water ingredients quicken 99 download eating gunpowder everyone dies alone softball caps yellowish eyelids title for biography engraving headstones rouging knees froggy definition schr?dinger pronunciation male prostitutes self taken nude aluminum sword mesopotamian beard aftershock crystals thank you alternatives target cetirizine this is why we can't have nice things movie quote my ear cartilage hurts do you call someone with a phd doctor old school subway sandwich heighth is not a word how high to wear pants what does a 30 000 mile service include dumping trash on private property law put your face on extension cords for window air conditioners birch beer soda syrup at&t wireless gateway vince guaraldi linus and lucy sheet music 20 400 vision prescription density of a planet formula 55 gallon aquarium weigh with water 2004 honda civic ex mpg open garage door with broken spring registered vs certified mail does worcestershire sauce have to be refrigerated after opening shake the sugar tree meaning mcafee real time scanning won't stay on remote car starter best buy the plural form of phoenix the big bang theory cast ages pure beech jersey sheets review proper way to pronounce gyro when does facial hair stop coming in how to stop a cat from peeing on carpet best mixer for malibu coconut rum can you put ice in a camelbak how much force would it take to destroy the earth