Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Quit smoking. Now I'm tired all the time.

It's been about a week, so far so good, I only get minor cravings early in the morning and late at night, the thing is i feel extremely tired, I don't normally drink coffee and now im having 2-3 cups every morning just to stop being a zombie...

Is this a normal "side effect"? Is there anything i can do to make it better or i just have to wait it out?.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM
You're not alone. Stick it out!

http://cracked.com/article_19030...pid-world.html

http://cracked.com/blog/5-life-l...tting-smoking/
Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I've quit twice (and started again, whee). It's normal. Depending how big your habit was, nicotine can be a major stimulant. You'll feel sluggish without it; I know I did, and my habit at the time was only a half-pack a day (now I'm up to 1 full pack a day). The way I've gotten through the first 3 post-quit days in the past was to sleep a whole lot. After that, things got a little better with time, but personally I've never been able to attain the same razor-like level of focus without nicotine that I'm capable of attaining as a smoker.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, I've been smoking for 10 years, and a pack a day for about 6-7 (although I didn't smoke in 2007), the thing is... i was spending way too much money on cigarretes so enough is enough, i don't have the budget to waste money like that.

I guess I'll just have to try to sleep a little bit more and pump up the caffeine while I adjust. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 PM
start exercising
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Charter Member
I have friends that claim Wrigleys Doublemint gum helps a lot. Just that flavor mind you.

But honestly, you are over the hump. Don;t give up now.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 AM
It gets so much better, you can do it.

As others have said, you are over the hardest part.

It does take a while, your body needs time to adjust.

Here is a whole mess load of free videos that helped me.

http://joelspitzer.com/whyquit/joel/#video

He is a cold turkey advocate, but they are usable no matter what method you use.

Best of luck!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Congrats ! You made it over the hard part the first 3 days. Yeah it's normal it shouldn't last much longer. I felt that as well for a week or so, I kind of embraced it and slept more.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
My 13 yo daughter sleeps like she's in hibernation; maybe I'll buy her a carton of Marlbros.

Anyhow, congrats. Tea has caffeine too!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm almost at week 6, and I'm STILL timred!

This is the longest I've lasted, but the lethargic feeling still hasn't left me! I was on a training course last week, and tried extra caffeine, just to stop myself from falling asleep! Even that didn't help! Man I hope this ends soon!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
This is the longest I've lasted, but the lethargic feeling still hasn't left me! I was on a training course last week, and tried extra caffeine, just to stop myself from falling asleep! Even that didn't help! Man I hope this ends soon!
You're almost there! Things should be returning to "normal" in the next two weeks or so. Actually, you're possibly at normal now. Keep in mind that normal may not be what you think it is and that you need to get used to it,.

Last edited by RadicalPi; 02-18-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Charter Member
Exercise is probably the best course, I think. The hardest part is the first step. Add a walk after dinner, take the stairs, walk the dog, again, etc are simple ways to get into the habit. Even these small changes will produce rewards, for you, if you can manage it. Truly. Costs nothing, improves your health and will help you to transition out of the low energy slump. Try it, you'll see.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
RadicalPi's theory is worth looking into. Maybe your smoking was treating some other underlying condition. Maybe your body has just changed that much to use it as fuel.

Try multivitamins. B12 helps with mental clarity and awareness. Iron helps.

I don't think you're ready for the new normal yet. Things will be different in three months, in six months, etc.

And congratulations!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:01 PM
Normal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalPi View Post
You're almost there! Things should be returning to "normal" in the next two weeks or so. Actually, you're possibly at normal now. Keep in mind that normal may not be what you think it is and that you need to get used to it,.
Man, I hope this isn't normal. If it is, I'm in deep trouble! If I can't sit not be doing anything for five minutes without my head hitting my chest, I might as well go back to smoking so I can keep my job! Through the week, I thought things were getting better, but yesterday, I was testing out a new backup program, and it took all I had to stay awake during the 22 minutes it took for the initial test. In fact, I think I fell asleep briefly until my sister came into the room. That was after 12 hours sleep the previous night. Last night, I slept fifteen hours, waking up after NOON! If this is normal, I'm in TROUBLE!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Exercise is probably the best course, I think. The hardest part is the first step. Add a walk after dinner, take the stairs, walk the dog, again, etc are simple ways to get into the habit. Even these small changes will produce rewards, for you, if you can manage it. Truly. Costs nothing, improves your health and will help you to transition out of the low energy slump. Try it, you'll see.
I have been adding exercise a little at a time to my routine. I'm walking in the mornings now, and using the stairs to get between floors at work. Like I said, I feel fine when I'm doing something, but when I stop, my body wants to sleep!
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Vitaminis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysler View Post
RadicalPi's theory is worth looking into. Maybe your smoking was treating some other underlying condition. Maybe your body has just changed that much to use it as fuel.

Try multivitamins. B12 helps with mental clarity and awareness. Iron helps.

I don't think you're ready for the new normal yet. Things will be different in three months, in six months, etc.

And congratulations!
I've been trying this too! I've recently started taking a multi. I'm told B12 in pill form doesn't absorb well enough, and getting the injectable form here in Canada requires perscriptions that doctors don't seem to want to give. I know this from my father's experiences. He was diagnosed a few years back as needing B12 supplements, and had problems getting the prescriptions. It was a little scary because the way he initially found out he needed it was passing out after getting up to go to the washroom! I did find out recently (before quitting) that I'm low on iron, so I've been taking iron pills, but they add to the constipation already inherant from quitting. It's a vicious circle! If I have to go through three more months of this, I don't know if I can!

Thanks for everyone's support though! Still riding it out!

Derek
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Quit smoking

Hello, my name is Kellie and I'm on day 7 of no smoking, I decided to quit because my mum was diagnosed with lung disease and she didn't want to quit so I gave her what u call tough love and said she was selfish if she didn't, I have a 12 year old son and so she has people to who need and love her, her fear was gaining weight but mine was losing my mum. I decided to do it with her and we are both on day 7 and going strong, she is using a drug called Champix which at 1st was making her sick but now that has stabilised, I'm using the fake cigarette called gamucci which I buy replacement cartridge for and if I'm honest I don't like the taste but I like that I can still have a fake puff and still feel like I'm smoking. Today on day 7 I've become very tired and I usually suffer with insomnia so for me this was brilliant, I am also starting to taste things that I forgot the taste of and I am feeling positive that I will continue to be a non smoker, I know I started this process to help my mum but I'm realising that really this has helped me too, I'm also a netball player and use to play for my county and now play for my local team, I feel if I was a good player before what will I be like now I've quit, I'm expecting to fly across the court lol I will continue to update my progress as I continue on this healthy path to being a non smoker 4 LIFE, if u have any comments or questions please feel free to ask, I hope this helps and remember its all mind power and u control you not a cigarette.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama View Post
Well, I've been smoking for 10 years (although I didn't smoke in 2007)
Well what did you do for that entire year? Were you tired then?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM
I quite 8 years ago. I still remember the process. The first three weeks were tough as the nicotine worked its way out of my system. Everything was screwed up. My digestion, my energy level fluctuated rapidly and I lost the ability to self edit. go figure that one. I immediately gained 10 pounds and had a hard time concentrating. Starting about week 4, I began exercising quite a bit more and that helped me focus. Keep this in mind, the really hard part of quitting is all the side habits you developed while smoking. Once the nicotine is out of your system, your mind will want to continue those habits. IMHO, that is when the real work begins, you have to develop other activities that alleviate the trigger. If you smoke after eating, take the dog for a walk instead Etc. I carried a pack of smokes with me for awhile and often put one in my mouth but never lit it. I eventually replaced those with Sees suckers, butterscotch..yummy....and within short order I gave them up as well.
Your desire to smoke will be strong, I had an urge the other day that only lasted a nano second where they used to last minutes. Hang in there..you are on your way!!!!!!

oh..my wife quite but she complained for quite some time she felt tired all the time, she began a regiment of vitamins and working out and that helped her over the hump

Last edited by stoplight; 05-15-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 AM
I concur, I hit that low spot when I quit. I could take a nap *every* day. It wore off in a few weeks.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Agreed. It's a side effect. Your body has been used to nicotine stimulants for years. Now it is deprived of that. It doesn't know what to do and is tired. Sleep when you can and tough it out...Good luck.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Still Tired

I "exercise" for a living. Customers say that they get worn out just watching me. My body can move, but every since I stopped smoking over 6 months ago, I feel sleepy ALL of the time. It is probably very good that I have always "exercised" for a living because I can't imagine wanting to sleep this frequently AND having a body that heavily resists moving.

Smoking is way worse than a perpetual lack of lustre. It's a matter of control. If I can't determine what I do and don't do, then why am I living? "Quitting the Easy Way" is the only brainwash that actually worked, but was so difficult that the thought of stopping again is complete dread.

It's best to do the first 3 days unconscious. Better off to catch a flu that lasts for three weeks. After that, life is pretty much a gem, but I'll give it at least a year for the tired to go away. I guess my body hasn't had to wake itself up for so long, that it forgot how. Seeking the assistance from some other addictive poison like caffeine doesn't seem wise.

The entire happening reminds me of when the doctors got greedy due to workman's comp and knocked me out many times in a row. I don't think I ever really woke up from that either.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 PM
I quit again since posting in this thread back in 2012. Quit since January 2013 and still doing fine with an electronic cigarette. Take that, old me!
Old 06-07-2014, 11:51 PM
Tobacco has a lot more in it than just nicotine. I is also a fairly potent MAO inhibitor.
MAOs break down seratonin, dopamine, and epinephrine. By inhibiting this tobacco acts as an antidepressant. So when you quit, you get depressed and lethargic....for quit a while. Licorice root is also a potent MAO inhibitor....so eating 2 grams of licorice root for a few weeks and then gradually titering off can help a lot. Long term use of that much licorice can cause other problems though, so don't do it forever. Also the use of MAO inhibitors with other serotonin drugs (anti depressants) or epinephrine drugs (crystal meth) is really really not advised.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachellelogram View Post
.... but personally I've never been able to attain the same razor-like level of focus without nicotine that I'm capable of attaining as a smoker.
I quit smoking on June 2013, today is Christmas day 2014. I still don't have the razor-like level of focus as Rachel appointed. I feel dumber as when I smoked. And for me the worst is being that it has literally killed my sex-drive.

As many of you guys said here, COFFEE might be temporal solution. I completely disagree with that option, I even consider that substituting the stimulant power of nicotine with coffee is much worse for your brain to regain its power.

I do feel smarter when I completely quit all stimulants (meaning also tea, Coke, Coffee, and anything with caffeine) but after 3 horrible days of withdrawal.

Try it. Quit all stimulants for a few days. Tell me how you feel the fourth day.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:47 PM
I tried quitting through hypnosis about 20 years ago. Worked ok that evening. The next morning I tried to get to work, and had to get cigarettes to be able to drive. I felt like I had taken a massive dose of sleeping pills. I quit successfully 2 years ago using the patch with none of that difficulty.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
Man, I hope this isn't normal. If it is, I'm in deep trouble! If I can't sit not be doing anything for five minutes without my head hitting my chest, I might as well go back to smoking so I can keep my job! Through the week, I thought things were getting better, but yesterday, I was testing out a new backup program, and it took all I had to stay awake during the 22 minutes it took for the initial test. In fact, I think I fell asleep briefly until my sister came into the room. That was after 12 hours sleep the previous night. Last night, I slept fifteen hours, waking up after NOON! If this is normal, I'm in TROUBLE!
That happens to me sometimes, and def did when I quit.

Fwiw, I put it down to expending masses more emotional energy - those first few days/couple of weeks when smoking is still a heavy preoccupation.

No idea if that's correct but it felt a lot like that to me.