Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 AM
What is the best kitchen degreasing cleaner?

This is a companion thread to my GQ thread Are common household cleaners "food grade" by default? since I figured that thread would draw a lot of opinions and/or recommendations about which cleaner works best.

Most of the cleaners I liked using in the States aren't available here, so I am resorting to trying to decipher the active ingredients list to figure out which ones might work better than others on greasy cooking equipment.

My favorites were Formula 409 for surfaces that might come into contact with food, and Mr. Clean for floors and other non-food surfaces. For baked-on crud, easy-off was always the winner especially after they came out with their fume-free formula.

There are way too many to make this a poll, and I know I'd miss a lot of them. So go ahead and list your favorites.

Last edited by Patty O'Furniture; 06-29-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Well we were having problems removing grease from our rangehood filter. I'd tried boiling water and burning it (we don't have a dishwasher) but nothing worked. We were about to give up, then we saw someone selling "Richard's Grease Stripper" at something like a Sunday market. It worked like on TV - just soak the filter, and the grease comes right off! Here are some pictures.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-L...0/IMG_0534.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q...0/IMG_0543.JPG

No idea what's in it though. I think it would be pretty useful if I could find it again.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:12 AM
I really like Citra Solv. It uses orange oil, which is a great degreaser. I use it diluted as my standard countertop cleaner, and full strength if I have something very sticky/greasy. Even if you can't find that name brand, a cleaner with orange oil as the chief ingredient would most likely work the same. Bonus: it's relatively mild and fumeless.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Well it appears from your picture of the bottle that they have a web site. I'd be interested in trying it, but they don't list any overseas suppliers. I might fire of an inquiry to them.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
I inherited a really good cleaner that was like pure magic. It turned out to be very high in Oxalic Acid. After I figured that out, I started wearing gloves with it. You can get a reduced version in Bar Keepers Friend scouring powder. You can get liquid version in some wood deck cleaners.

Ammonia is a good for grease cleaner, but also not good on hands or inhaled. It will also strip older finishes on cabinets and latex paints.

I also use SimpleGreen straight from the bottle.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
I really like Citra Solv. It uses orange oil, which is a great degreaser. I use it diluted as my standard countertop cleaner, and full strength if I have something very sticky/greasy. Even if you can't find that name brand, a cleaner with orange oil as the chief ingredient would most likely work the same. Bonus: it's relatively mild and fumeless.
I looked at it on google shopping. Do you really pay $2.50 an ounce for this?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Charter Member
I think Dawn dish detergent is an effective degreaser. That's one reason that P&G donates it for use in cleaning birds after oil spills.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Brake cleaner with an alcohol rinse.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty O'Furniture View Post
Well it appears from your picture of the bottle that they have a web site. I'd be interested in trying it, but they don't list any overseas suppliers. I might fire of an inquiry to them.
I wonder if they just use sodium hydroxide or some base? But I think the label said they didn't. We even tried alcohol and it didn't work. What is this stuff?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I find Bar Keeper's Friend powder to be pretty magic stuff. It cleans baked on grease and crud from glass oven doors like nothing else I've tried. Don't use it on aluminium though, as it dulls the surface.

To get things like glass ceramic hobs and brushed stainless steel appliances streak-free, I use the Bar Keeper's Friend to remove the grime, then wipe off with a clean sponge, then give it a spray of alcohol-based glass cleaner (eg Windex) and wipe off with a dry cloth.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronX View Post
I wonder if they just use sodium hydroxide or some base? But I think the label said they didn't.
The web site clearly states "does not contain... caustic soda", which is the trade name for sodium hydroxide.