Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM
You'll Never Take Me Alive, Coppers!

Michael Marin, ex-Wall Street banker, may have swallowed poison pill during courtroom conviction for arson

Read more: http://nydailynews.com/news/crim...#ixzz1zNksJJVy

Well, I suppose I can't I blame him. I hear tales that jail is rough.

What could he take maybe one or two of that would take him out that quickly?
I doubt he had a box jellyfish in his thermos or a cone snail in his sleeve!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Cyanide is hard to get. Potassium overdose would do it, but I'm not sure how long it would take.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Michael Marin, ex-Wall Street banker, may have swallowed poison pill during courtroom conviction for arson
Well, I suppose I can't I blame him. I hear tales that jail is rough.
Funny because I was just reading about people who purposefully got sent to jail so they would have food and shelter etc
Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Charter Member
He couldn't pay his mortgage... so he very obviously torched his house... which may have had valuable, one-of-a-kind works of art inside... gets arrested... is declared guilty... and THEN kills himself?

Wow. I think his decision-making skills need work. Oops! Too late.

They're going to make sure this never happens again, of course. I dunno: killing yourself instead of going to prison should be an option, I think.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Heh. Poison pill. I see what they did there...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a35362 View Post
He couldn't pay his mortgage... so he very obviously torched his house... which may have had valuable, one-of-a-kind works of art inside... gets arrested... is declared guilty... and THEN kills himself?
I notice that he didn't wait for the sentencing. Apparently, not being able to live rich was worse than not being able to live at all. Quality of life decision, I guess.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
You'd need about 200 prescription strength potassium chloride pills to kill yourself, and it's going to take more than 10 minutes.

There could also have been something in the sports bottle he was drinking from, or the Kleenex he grabbed from the woman behind him. I'm sure they're investigating all of these.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
If the story is true, the right cliche would be "I'll never survive in prison," not "you'll never take me alive." They already caught the guy and put him on trial.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't catch eye as well, Downy McDowner.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
If the story is true, the right cliche would be "I'll never survive in prison," not "you'll never take me alive." They already caught the guy and put him on trial.
I believe the right one is "I'm too pretty to do time!"

I say this not having clicked on the link or seen a picture of the guy.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
I believe the right one is "I'm too pretty to do time!"

I say this not having clicked on the link or seen a picture of the guy.
Follow the link in the OP and you'll see a few pictures.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Follow the link in the OP and you'll see a few pictures.
It has the entire video of the incident.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Cyanide is hard to get.
So are Picassos. I reckon someone with means or at least connections from when he had means, could get it pretty easily.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
I read about this in the newspaper today. What really struck me is that he was wearing his scuba gear when he 'escaped' the fire. For some reason I envisioned him decked out in a tank, wet suit and flippers. It made me giggle but then I'm a little twisted.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I saw this the other night and I'm ashamed to say I watched the entire video, like a ghoul. Rather disturbing. He definitely appeared to have put something in his mouth after the decision was read. Then of course I sat there tapping my foot for 11 minutes, waiting for the money shot. I am truly disgusting.

A side-wonder: does it seem like financial/white collar crooks tend to off themselves instead of doing time more than, say, pedophiles or drug dealers? I have no data, just a half baked observation.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
To me it looks like he put his hand over his mouth to keep from throwing up. Don't some people experience nausea with a heart attack?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by orderfire View Post
A side-wonder: does it seem like financial/white collar crooks tend to off themselves instead of doing time more than, say, pedophiles or drug dealers? I have no data, just a half baked observation.
I don't think so; after all, they tend to go to "prisons" that are fairly nice places in comparison, to serve short terms, and typically even get to keep much of the money they stole.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Charter Member
Well, but where do they send you for arson? Medium security?

If only he'd fessed up to the financial stuff and not trashed his house... I mean, jeez.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
So are Picassos. I reckon someone with means or at least connections from when he had means, could get it pretty easily.
Good point.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attack from the 3rd dimension View Post
Cyanide is hard to get. Potassium overdose would do it, but I'm not sure how long it would take.
Neither really fit the symptoms observed. The onset of violent convulsions ten minutes after ingestion makes me think of strychnine. It's also easy to get in the form of commercial poison baits for pest control. Hell of a painful way to die, though.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Well, but where do they send you for arson? Medium security?
Federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun View Post
Neither really fit the symptoms observed. The onset of violent convulsions ten minutes after ingestion makes me think of strychnine. It's also easy to get in the form of commercial poison baits for pest control. Hell of a painful way to die, though.
Lannate is an insecticide that with the proper dose kills in minutes, here in Trinidad there are no controls on it all agri shops and garden centers sell it by weight in powder form.

I've seen dogs that were poisoned die of it, something like 3 minutes from first convulsion to death. Scary as shit and supposedly tastes like salt, it has been used in several murders locally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methomyl
Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Anyone else find the defense attorney and prosecutor's surnames to be amusing?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Charter Member
I mean he wasn't actually in trouble with the law until the arson, right? He was in a lot of debt but he wasn't, like, embezzling or something.

What a ridiculous, pathetic waste.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
I mean he wasn't actually in trouble with the law until the arson, right? He was in a lot of debt but he wasn't, like, embezzling or something.

What a ridiculous, pathetic waste.
That's the weird part to me. The guy killed himself over something that, while dishonest, wasn't disgusting or utterly shameful like rape, murder, pedophillia, or the such. That's why I am puzzled about him not even waiting for the sentencing. He might have gotten as little as five years, maybe. The article mentions that the max would have been 16. And surely, whatever the sentence, he would have a good chance at early parole.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:42 PM
BANNED
If he did kill himself. That's not established yet.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confused dart cum View Post
If he did kill himself. That's not established yet.
Did you see the video? Not 100% certain till the autopsy results come in but all evidence points in that direction.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Maybe the bailiff did it.