Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
How do you say calliope?

I was watching Auction Kings the other day when they came across a calliope to auction off...The staff of the auction house kept calling it a "cally-ope. What the hell? Is that a Georgia regional pronunciation, or what? I live in central NC and we always say "Ca-Lie-O-Pee". Dopers, chime in.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:30 AM
"Cally-ope" - although I've never heard the word spoken by anyone else or bothered to look up the pronunciation, so I just went in my head with how it looks in print.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Of course I thought it was "cally-ope" until I heard someone say it. Now I would say kuh-LYE-oh pee, if I said it. Which I don't think I have for years.

When my son and I went to the first Harry Potter movie we realized that we--mainly me, since I was the grownup--had been mispronouncing Hermione (and Hagrid, and probably more, but at least those two). Her-MY-oh-knee versus HER-me-OWN. Boy did I feel stoopit.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Kə-LY-ə-pee
Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Ka-LIE-uh-pee.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 AM
It's my daughter's name. We pronounce it cuh-lye-oh-pee.
Our goofy pronunciations are callie-Oh-pee and ca-lee-ope.

I've only ever heard people who are confident in their pronunciation of it say the 'right' way.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onomatopoeia View Post
Ka-LIE-uh-pee.
Assuming these are both describing the same pronunciation, that's the only way I've ever heard it.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks guys. Maybe some Georgia folks will check in, but that just sounds wrong to me.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
However, following the link on that page to the article on the instrument leads to this tidbit:

Quote:
The pronunciation of the word 'calliope' has long been disputed. The Greek muse by the same name is pronounced /kəˈlaɪ.əpiː/ kə-LY-ə-pee, but the instrument was generally pronounced /ˈkćli.oʊp/ KAL-ee-ohp. A nineteenth century magazine, Reedy's Mirror, attempted to settle the dispute by publishing this rhyme:[4]

Proud folk stare after me,
Call me Calliope;
Tooting joy, tooting hope,
I am the calliope.

This, in turn, came from a poem by Vachel Lindsay, called "The Kallyope Yell," [sic][5] in which Lindsay uses both pronunciations.

Last edited by Der Trihs; 07-02-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Her-MY-oh-knee versus HER-me-OWN.
Penel-ope and Pers-ephone know the problem too well.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
When my son and I went to the first Harry Potter movie we realized that we--mainly me, since I was the grownup--had been mispronouncing Hermione (and Hagrid, and probably more, but at least those two). Her-MY-oh-knee versus HER-me-OWN. Boy did I feel stoopit.
Don't feel stoopit. That was such a common mistake, she eventually wrote it into one of the books! (Although it doesn't make much sense, plot wise...there's no indication that the character that calls her "Hermy-own" has ever seen her name in writing.) She was "Hermy-own" in my head for the first four books. It was a surprisingly difficult transition once I learned how the name is actually pronounced!

Oh, and kuh-LYE-oh-pee.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Head Blue Meanie
Charter Member
Quote:
If one is referring to the muse, that is indeed the pronunciation; however, my understanding is that circus people invariably use KAL-ee-ohp. Unsure whether the ditty quoted by Der Trihs is related, however.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Quote:
This . . . except when one is deliberately trying to sound ignorant.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Not too long ago I met a woman named Calliope at a networking event. I'm very glad she introduced herself before I read off her name tag.

Yep. She's Callie-ohpee. I avoid actually saying her name when I run into her, because one day I will call her Ka-LYE-oh-pee to her face. Argh.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:20 AM
I've heard that cally-ope is an old circus pronunciation, peculiar to American circusmen. God help if if I can recall where I heard that, though. Cah-LIE-Oh-Pee is the correct pronunciation.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 AM
Charter Member
Cah-LIE-oh-pee.

If it's good enough for Bruce Springsteen it's good enough for me.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Moved MPSIMS --> IMHO, home of polls.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Ca-Lie-O-Pee.

Seriously? Cally-ope? I'll have to consider that while I sip on my frah-pay.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Ca-Lie-O-Pee.

Seriously? Cally-ope? I'll have to consider that while I sip on my frah-pay.
Wait--that's not how to pronounce "frappe"? (I've never heard it out loud, but I assumed it must rhyme with "latte"...)

How is it pronounced?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I pronounce it just like Manfred Mann.

Just say "The calliope crashed to the ground" and you will know how to pronounce it.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:26 AM
All these song references and we've missed the calliope crashing to the ground when Blinded by the light.

Last edited by Moonlitherial; 07-02-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Bah left the window open
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Charter Member
Hey, didn't Bruce Springsteen and Manfred Mann have a song that mentioned the calliope? If only I could remember what that was.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
How is it pronounced?
I imagine a lot of people just say frap. Me, I avoid the whole issue and just ask for the caramel blended coffee drink.

Also, I say cuh-lie-oh-pee.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyoshi View Post
Wait--that's not how to pronounce "frappe"? (I've never heard it out loud, but I assumed it must rhyme with "latte"...)

How is it pronounced?
The chilled coffee drink called a frappé is pronounced fra-pay. The vowel in the first syllable is a short a, like in apple.

The regional milkshake drink called a frappe or a frappé is pronounced frap.

http://dictionary.infoplease.com/frappe
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Cah-LIE-oh-pee.

If it's good enough for Bruce Springsteen it's good enough for me.
Same here.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM
My Mother is from deepest, darkest, Georgia, and she pronounces it "Call-aye-oh-pee". I think you just ran into a bit of ignorance. It's not exactly an everyday word.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Native Georgian checking in. Raised out in the country and everything.

ca-LIE-o-pee

I don't think the pronunciation you heard has anything to do with the speaker being from Georgia. It's just an example of someone trying to pronounce a word they've perhaps only encountered in written form.

Like "victuals."
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 AM
I've always used "Cah - LYE - oh - pee" - pronounced with 4 syl - LA - buls.

On a related topic - back in the 70's, I once heard the Sunday morning radio guy (the time slot where they put the most inexperienced guy who probably pays the station to let him near the equipment) give the morning announcements of upcoming events. One item was about a class in macrame. For youse kids, this is that artform of tying knots in fuzzy yarns and stuff to hand plants, pots, decorative bottles, etc. It was da bomb back in the day of shag carpets, afros, and polyester disco shirts.

Only this guy pronounced it "mah - KRAME".
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Charter Member
As a small child I learned it as 'ca-LYE-o-pee'. Which threw me for a loop when I visited New Orleans and heard 'Cally-ope Street'. It was like hearing someone pronounce Hueneme as 'Hyoo-neem' or Sepulveda as 'Sepple-veeda' or La Jolla as 'La JOLL-a'.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
As a small child I learned it as 'ca-LYE-o-pee'. Which threw me for a loop when I visited New Orleans and heard 'Cally-ope Street'. It was like hearing someone pronounce Hueneme as 'Hyoo-neem' or Sepulveda as 'Sepple-veeda' or La Jolla as 'La JOLL-a'.
Here in Chicago, we have streets named Devon (duh-VAHN), Paulina (paul-EYE-nuh) and Goethe (GO-thee). Makes out of towners twitchy.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
"Many an infant that is screaming like a calliope
Could be soothed with a little attention to its diope."

--Ogden Nash
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Charter Member
I used to have a subscription to Calliope Magazine as a kid (and Cobblestone too) and would pronounce it Cally-ope. I don't remember any phonetics that told me differently and was in my 20s before consciously hearing it differently and pronouncing it as cah-lie-oh-pee.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
Penel-ope and Pers-ephone know the problem too well.
I was thinking about Penelope, actually. I know very well how to pronounce it, but every time I see it in print, I always read it as PEN-uh-lope until mentally correcting myself.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I say kəˈlʌɪəpi, but I remember looking it up to be sure of the pronunciation. I don't remember ever mispronouncing it, but I'm still sure I must have at least once.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Always Kuh-lye-oh-pee for me.

But I had read the word cacophony many times, never having heard it pronounced. In my head it was kawk-oh-phoney.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Detritus is and always will be "DEH-trih-tuhs" (emphasis on first syllable, short i in the middle) in my head. Learning words from books does have its perils.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:08 PM
kuh-LYE-oh-pee. I was going to suggest cal-lee-OH-pee to be facetious but I guess that's how some really say it that way. I suppose one could make the case for a silent e and come up with kuh-LYE-up.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Yep, New Orleans has a way with street names. Tchoupitoulas, Burgundy, and of course, Calliope (kahl-ee-ope).
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM
BANNED
I just showed this word to my boyfriend who hadn't ever seen it or heard it before, and asked him to pronounce it.

He came very close to the correct pronunciation sounding it out. He said something like cuh-lie-oh-pee.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost4life View Post
Yep, New Orleans has a way with street names. Tchoupitoulas, Burgundy, and of course, Calliope (kahl-ee-ope).
You meen 'CHOP-i-too-las' and 'Bur-GUN-dee'?

Actually, I had no problem with Tchoupitoulas since I'd never heard the word before going to New Orleans. Say, there's this shop I want to go to in the French Quarter. I think it's on Rue-something...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I had this problem once with superfluous. I pronounced it Soo-per-FLOO-us. In a college creative writing class, no less.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Detritus is and always will be "DEH-trih-tuhs" (emphasis on first syllable, short i in the middle) in my head. Learning words from books does have its perils.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I remember in 9th grade english, I pronounced ascertain uh-sirtin, like certain with a schwa in front and the teacher made a face and said, no it's a-sirTAIN with the emphasis on the last syllable. I was pretty embarrassed and made a mental note to never fuck that word up again. Well, I've heard a number of people pronounce it now and guess which variant is most popular in unguarded speech?
Old 07-02-2012, 12:38 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Assuming these are both describing the same pronunciation, that's the only way I've ever heard it.
Yep me too.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
"ka LIE oh pee", with secondary accent on the last syllable.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Huh. I'd never heard the long I pronunciation. The Greek goddess is call-ee-OH-pee, and the instrument is a CAL-ee-ope. I still marvel at all these Greek goddesses that get the English long I sound in their name for some reason.

Heck, while I'm okay with pronouncing the Harry Potter character as hurr-MYE-oh-nee, I still insist on calling the Greek goddess HERR-mee-oh-nee. I can't understand why we have not had a large push to go back to something closer to the original Greek pronunciations, instead of pushing our Great Vowel Shift on every language.

I also note that this character in the best (and longest) webcomic of all time is definitely pronounced Callie Ohpee.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 PM
TV taught me this word. There was a animated show on USA called Calliope, and the title was spoken aloud during the promos and credits.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
I can honestly say that the first time I had heard the word pronounced as Cally-ope was in this thread.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:49 PM
I just have to say I can't believe that it is almost 50 posts to this thread and nobody has mentioned "Mama Plays the Calliope" from John Hartford's Headin' Down Into the Mystery Below Album.

I won't say how he pronounced it, except to say he rhymed it with "...Brother throws the rope"

I'll admit that "Mama Plays the Calliope" didn't make it big, like "Gentle on My Mind" did, but I'd have expected at least a couple of Dopers to be familiar with it.

excavating (for a mind)
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Merriam-Webster lists "cally-ope" as an acceptable pronunciation for the musical instrument, and even has audio files for both pronunciations. Just sayin'