Old 07-31-2012, 04:24 AM
Please help! I am beyond terrified. There is a mouse in my apt.

Seriously, I am fucking scared as all shit.

I'll skip the boring details, but to give you an idea of just how completely freaking terrorized I am, I spent hours standing on top of my ottoman and sofa when I thought it was just the world's fastest and largest bug. I saw something dash across my floor, proceeded to Raid the shit out of the place, then saw it again and have since been unable to sleep. Having never seen a bug that large in my life, I stood watch with a Raid can ready to kill the shit out of it the moment it emerged. How long it would take was simply not a concern. I am scared out of my mind of all crawly things.

Then I saw something poke its head from beneath my couch, I shrieked in horror, then it went back under. Then I was like... oh hell no. Is this the world's smartest beetle? And how big was that fucking thing? Was that a.... and then it poked its head out again.

OH MY FUCKING GOD! HOLY FUCKING SHIT! IT'S A FUCKING MOUSE!

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

A bug terrified me enough to consider getting a hotel for the night, so a goddamn mouse almost caused me to move out. So I screamed some more, then ran into my bedroom and put towels underneath my door. I'm now locked in my room and am scared to leave. Shit, I left my laptop charger out there.

I just heard something crash in my living room. That must be it.

I'm sure the obvious answer might be a mouse trap, but is there some way to kill it that's fast and won't have to deal with me touching it? I'm afraid of dead spiders, for Christ's sake. Seriously, even if I watch someone kill it for me, I can't breathe until it's out of the room.

I am seriously scared as all shit. I've been afraid to stand on the floor for hours. I have honestly been walking on top of my furniture since 11pm (it's 3:18am now). Jesus Christ, I was better off when I thought it was a bug. How does a mouse even get in here?

Please, please, please help.

Sincerely terrified,
Mean Old Scared Lady

Last edited by MeanOldLady; 07-31-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:31 AM
It's a MOUSE. An itty bitty furry cuddly baby ickle mouse. Man Up MOL!

Hell, I had a rat jump on my bed once. In the dark. Followed by a powercut. You got nuthin.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Call your landlord, pack a bag, move out for a few days if you're that scared of a mouse. Make sure those towels are stuffed well and you don't have any holes in your walls AT ALL because a mouse can squeeze through the tiniest places. And they can climb up - up curtains and sheets and stuff. Finally, if there's one mouse, there may be mice. Mice are breeders. And some carry diseases. I don't know where you are, but you're sure it's a mouse and not a rat?

Oh, and...ROFLCOPTER.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Have your phone handy? Do you know anybody who owns a cat?

Also, your post made me giggle uncontrollably.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanVito View Post
It's a MOUSE. An itty bitty furry cuddly baby ickle mouse. Man Up MOL!

Hell, I had a rat jump on my bed once. In the dark. Followed by a powercut. You got nuthin.
There is nothing cuddly about it! I just need this thing to be dead and/or out of my apt. I don't care which, but since it seems to be enjoying its stay, dead will do.

On preview: If it's a rat, it's a teeny tiny rat, so small it could pass for a bug from the corner of one's eye. It is "an itty bitty" mouse, but it is NOT -- repeat NOT -- cuddly. Maybe letting a cat run loose in the apt is a stand up idea. I need to steal someone's cat. I know plenty of people with cats. Edit: I'll call them in the morning. My friends know I'm a giant pussy (no pun intended) when it comes to pests, but they'd still be mighty pissed if I called them past 3:30am to ask them to borrow their cat.

Last edited by MeanOldLady; 07-31-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 AM
Don't ask me why I'm up at this hour, but listen. You don't know any men who can come handle that? They can chase the damn thing so that it goes in the wall or something where you feel a bit safer. They can set out traps, and get your laptop charger and all that? This is when its good to have a lil' somethin' on the side who aint scerred of a mouse, you know what I mean?

ETA: FarmerJane is well and truly mean

Last edited by Nzinga, Seated; 07-31-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:51 AM
I promise you, it's a lot more scared of you then you are of it. Just get a trap and a few Xanax to hold you over until it's done its job.

Last edited by voltaire; 07-31-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:56 AM
Well right now it's 4am, and I'd feel like an asshole calling someone (who wouldn't answer anyway) to chase a mouse around for me. And I don't want it in the wall; I want it dead. Tomorrow I am hitting up everybody: friends with cats, guys who aren't afraid to pick up a mouse trap with a dead mouse in it, people who know things about killing mice, the mayor, and anyone else who will listen.

voltaire, I dunno. I'm not going to sleep tonight. That little mouse fucker is probably going to sleep like a baby. Underneath MY sofa, no less.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Oh dear god, there is movement in my living room. What have I done to deserve this? Besides all of those horrible things to so many people.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 AM
Charter Member
If you see one mouse you reeeaaallly... {INSERT EVIL GRIN}
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 AM
Charter Member
I have no advice. But the whole thread has taken me mentally back to my last apartment where it the winter brought rats. I think I spent the night doing what you've done tonight, so I sympathize.

The important things: catch and/or kill mousie, and make sure the hole(s) that let them in are sealed - holes as small as a dime, iirc. I'd call an exterminator, myself. They're used to dealing with these things.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM
Forget the cat. You need someone with a big snake (no pun intended) to come over and eradicate that little fucker.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM
I had an infested house. They were average field mice. I used cedar bedding chips to basically exclude them from everywhere and I no longer have them in the house. I basically put sachets in my drawers (clothing, kitchen, every drawer and shelf) and then sprinkled cedar chips along the walls, closets and behind furniture, etc. It worked for the type of mouse that I had. Apparently, they don't like the smell of them and find somewhere else to live. When I vacuum them up, I just sprinkle more down.

ETA: Okay, oopsie... I may have killed them all off, here's a page about how they're toxic to rodents. No wonder they left so quickly: http://ratfanclub.org/litters.html

Last edited by Enkel; 07-31-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 AM
You would so not survive at my house, Mean Old Lady, but I sympathize. I used to be that way about insects and especially arachnids. (Mice never bothered me much, I guess because we had assorted rodent pets when I was a kid.) I was working at my computer one day and a huge black spider ran across my chest and hopped onto my keyboard, where it secreted itself under the K. Every once in a while it would poke a leg out to see if the coast was clear. I had to keep working, too, spider or no spider. Later I tried to shake it out of the keyboard, but it had escaped at some point.

I'd second the cat idea, except cats have a nasty habit of presenting you with their kills, or parts of their kills, and that might be too much for you to bear. Pick up some of those traps where the mouse just dies inside an enclosure and all you have to do is toss it trap and all into the (neighbor's) trash. Then mention it to your landlord or super; maybe it's time for an exterminator.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surb View Post
Forget the cat. You need someone with a big snake (no pun intended) to come over and eradicate that little fucker.
Exactly. That's what I tried to tell her.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden Kestrel View Post
I'd second the cat idea, except cats have a nasty habit of presenting you with their kills, or parts of their kills, and that might be too much for you to bear. Pick up some of those traps where the mouse just dies inside an enclosure and all you have to do is toss it trap and all into the (neighbor's) trash. Then mention it to your landlord or super; maybe it's time for an exterminator.
Hmm, I could probably get over seeing the dead mouse if it were shredded up by a cat and a friend could assist with removal (i.e. do it for me), but the enclosed mouse trap sounds like an excellent idea. This gizmo is rated well and sounds like something I could use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
Ha!

I feel like an asshole for completely losing my composure this way, but I can't help it. And I thought I turned into a complete moron when spiders were afoot. Dear Jesus in the manger, if you can make this mouse die today, I promise I will (try to my best to) not cry like a little fucking baby next time a spider comes around.

Last edited by MeanOldLady; 07-31-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
So maybe she could put an add on Craigslist: Wanted, someone with a big snake to take care of my little mouse.

What could go wrong there?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM
Brb, posting to Craigslist.

Okay, I need to bite the bullet at some point and leave my bunker. I need to take a shower and will probably need to pee at some point, and I have things to do, and I have to go buy mouse traps and steal people's cats, and I can't stay in my bedroom for the rest of my life.

I am functioning off 90 min of sleep. This stopped being pathetic 6 hours ago. I'm not even sure what the word is to describe how sad and silly this is now.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I am functioning off 90 min of sleep. This stopped being pathetic 6 hours ago. I'm not even sure what the word is to describe how sad and silly this is now.
So, here's how I managed making myself leave the cocoon of my brightly lit bedroom after The Rat Incident #1.

"That motherf*cker is going to die. It invaded my space. But I have to buy stuff that will let it die. Therefore I am going to clomp around as loud as I can so it hides while I'm leaving to go buy the stuff to take out that bastard."

(even then I scooted out as quickly as I could. It didn't help that the only entrance to that apt was through the kitchen. Which was where I'd seen the thing).

You can do this. We believe in you.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 AM
Man, MOL, you really are destroying my image of you. But, listen! You can do this! You can be tough, you know you can. Just a bit longer. If I was close I'd come over and put traps down for you and then we could wait for the telltale SNAP! together.

Hugs!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Ask woman friends, too. You sure have plenty who are not afraid of mice, like me. My reaction at your mouse would be a squee of delight, and then, if I saw you disappearing into your bedroom, a mousefriendly method of removal and -prevention.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Charter Member
These work very well. Get the one's for a rat, one shot, one kill. Also, if you don't want to touch it, put a six inch or so loop of string on the end so you can carry it out at an arms length. But you'll be surprised that by the time you get to the garbage you might say 'hey, that's not so bad' and squeeze the trap open so the mouse falls in the garbage and you can reuse the trap for next time.

Anyways, here's the big trick, buy a Milky Way and load the trap with that. The mice are small enough that they might not trip it if you just put something like peanut butter on it, but if you wedge a piece of Milky Way into the little cup they have to tug at it and that'll trip it. This is straight from the Orkin Guy and I've done it a handful of times...but only in my (attached) garage. They've never made it into the house.
Lastly. With this trap, the little bait cup comes out of the bottom, but I've found the easiest way is to just step on the back end with my foot and keep my foot there while I load the trap and make sure the tripping mechanism isn't hindered by the bait (you'll see what I mean). Then move you're foot and you're good to go.
I bet you'll have you're mouse inside of an hour.

ETA, I'd probably do this on the linoleum. There will be blood. Okay, there's sometimes blood. This trap snaps pretty hard.

Last edited by Joey P; 07-31-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Charter Member
I use live traps adn rehome mousies in a field a mile or so away from my house. But you could buy a ratzapper, which humanely (?) fries the poor little guy.

StG
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsura View Post
So, here's how I managed making myself leave the cocoon of my brightly lit bedroom after The Rat Incident #1.

"That motherf*cker is going to die. It invaded my space. But I have to buy stuff that will let it die. Therefore I am going to clomp around as loud as I can so it hides while I'm leaving to go buy the stuff to take out that bastard."

(even then I scooted out as quickly as I could. It didn't help that the only entrance to that apt was through the kitchen. Which was where I'd seen the thing).

You can do this. We believe in you.
Jesus, thank you! So glad someone can relate. You're right; this is tough, but I can do it. I will leave this bedroom, and I will kill this motherfucker to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Man, MOL, you really are destroying my image of you.
I swear I'm really mean and tough and everything! But goddamn critters of all kinds... they just... fuckers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
These work very well. Get the one's for a rat, one shot, one kill. Also, if you don't want to touch it, put a six inch or so loop of string on the end so you can carry it out at an arms length.
Headed over to Ace in two shakes. This and the other trap advised in this thread are offered there. I'm using every method and device known to man short of Napalm to make sure this thing dies today. Rat trap and Milky Way bar coming right up. Also, the blood thing freaks me out, but I have hardwood floors, so I don't have to worry about messing up my carpet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I use live traps adn rehome mousies in a field a mile or so away from my house. But you could buy a ratzapper, which humanely (?) fries the poor little guy.

StG
I'm almost tempted despite the $42 price tag due to the no guts factor, and it being enclosed, but this bastard goes down today no matter what.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

Headed over to Ace in two shakes. This and the other trap advised in this thread are offered there. I'm using every method and device known to man short of Napalm to make sure this thing dies today. Rat trap and Milky Way bar coming right up. Also, the blood thing freaks me out, but I have hardwood floors, so I don't have to worry about messing up my carpet.
You could put the whole thing in a paper bag and after it snaps, just pick it all up, blood and all (which only happens some of the time) and put it in the garbage.

The first time I did this, I had a string on it, but then I was like "it's soooo tiny, and I'd like to keep this trap" and it wasn't a big deal to just hold it over the garbage and squeeze the trap open. The mouse is small and the trap is big, you're pretty far removed from it.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I've been telling myself for 30 min that I'm going to take a shower and go to Ace. I have not taken a shower or gone to Ace. I'm going to take a shower and go to Ace now.

Paper bag seems good. A little squeamish about mouse blood.

Also, friend is going to let me steal her cat. Traps + cat = this bastard had better die today, or else I am perfectly willing to set the whole damn place on fire.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM
a snap trap with just a little peanut butter on the trigger can get it with in minutes. better placed along a wall (near where you saw it and a few other places) and with you not near and the room dark. listen for that snap when it triggers. no blood.

reminds me of the time when i was helping move an old furnace that had been outside for a time. as the thing was being lifted and jolted a mouse that had been nesting inside ran for its life and up my leg and under my shirt. so standing on furniture will offer no protection.

cats are slow. it could take a day or more depending on the critters. an indoor cat could be too dumb to get a mouse.

Last edited by johnpost; 07-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Don't you know some guy that likes you who's a bit handy?

Maybe you could work something out.

- Cue bass line -
Old 07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
There is nothing cuddly about it! I just need this thing to be dead and/or out of my apt. I don't care which, but since it seems to be enjoying its stay, dead will do.

On preview: If it's a rat, it's a teeny tiny rat, so small it could pass for a bug from the corner of one's eye. It is "an itty bitty" mouse, but it is NOT -- repeat NOT -- cuddly. Maybe letting a cat run loose in the apt is a stand up idea. I need to steal someone's cat. I know plenty of people with cats. Edit: I'll call them in the morning. My friends know I'm a giant pussy (no pun intended) when it comes to pests, but they'd still be mighty pissed if I called them past 3:30am to ask them to borrow their cat.
I've got a picture of you standing in front of your neighbor in your bathrobe with a measuring cup in your hand. "Can I borrow your cat?"

Last edited by furryman; 07-31-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Charter Member
Can you call your landlord and let him take care of it? Maybe send professional exterminators.

StG
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Seriously though, if there is enough activity that you see a mouse in the open, you probably have several mice - you need to set out multiple traps and leave them out for several weeks at least to be sure you got them all. We live behind some woods and get enough mice over the years that I've tried every trap type, and they all can work if done right. The standard wooden old school ones work best if you smash wet bread in them and let it dry before setting. The newer plastic snap traps put peanut butter on the top in the center, or in the little cup if it is that style. The glue traps you just set out along a wall. All traps should be the snapping/closing side pushed right up against a wall or object like a furnace, etc.

Last edited by jacobsta811; 07-31-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 AM
if you are squicked by mice then do not use glue traps. it is just more mice thoughts to drive you more crazy.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Shotgun. Double-ought buckshot. Put a dollop of peanut butter on a plate in the middle of the floor, then climb up on the counter and wait.

Failing that, one of these will do the job nicely.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Don't you know some guy that likes you who's a bit handy?

Maybe you could work something out.

- Cue bass line -
Nobody likes me because I'm terrible.

Okay, I'm armed with five mouse traps and some Milky Way bars. Is that enough? I'm willing to blanket my floors in traps if that's what it takes.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Did you call your landlord yet? When I had a mouse in my apartment, I called the landlord ("THERE'S A MOUSE IN MY HOUSE!") crying and moved out for a week. I was terrified. So I sympathize, but only to the degree that I like you, which is minute.

Seriously, though, a mouse in the house nearly made me suicidal with fright and disgust. And those fuckers are creepers, too...they...scurry...and climb UP stuff. Like your curtains. So call your landlord, call a guy, pack a bag, and treat yourself to a few days away.

And sleep with your mouth closed.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 PM
No. I haven't even placed the traps yet, ha. First I took a deep breath before entering my apt, then hurriedly parked my bike and ran into my bedroom and set the traps. Now I'm working up the nerve to go leave my room and start placing the traps.

I do need to call my landlord, though, and will in two shakes. I'm good at letting things slide because I'm lazy, but when I'm too scared to sleep, it's time to get serious.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Well, yeah, that's how you know it's critical, if it interferes with sleeping or drinking. Good luck on the mousehunt.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:10 PM
Your landlord has probably dealt with this before. Apartment complex? Your neighbors need to know - mice like to travel via walls.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
Listen - here's an anti-mouse pro tip coming directly from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the university I work at - there are 2 kinds of mice - those that are drawn to the smell of cat, and those that are repelled by the smell of cat. Regardless of what type of mouse you have, a cat is the solution.

Now, when I was in your situation (i.e. rotten mouse fiend in my house, traps ineffective, in fact, rotten mouse fiend actually eating the bait and turding on the top of the trap - seriously) I solved it by getting a cat. Not borrowing a cat, getting an actual pet cat.

Given how redonkulously terrified of mice (and bugs, it seems) that you are, I think you seriously need to investigate the possibility of adopting a nice cat. Seriously, as troublesome as a cat can be (i.e litter pan, kitty fluff, etc) your mouse and bug problem will go away. The one ancient cat I adopted actually hunted moths (I HATE moths) - it was delightful!

So, get a cat. You think you don't want a cat, but based on the hysterics in your posts YOU WANT A CAT.

Good luck. FWIW, when I had my mouse issue, there was only one. People will say all sorts of shit about if you have one you have 20 but that's crap - it's perfectly possible to have one.

Last edited by alice_in_wonderland; 07-31-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Good luck - a mouse can really ruin your life!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM
If you bring in the neighbor's cat, won't it hurt itself on the mouse traps?

Wish I could loan you my dog. I have a brussels griffon, they were bred as "ratters" and he has brought me several "gifts" throughout the years. (One my daughter's hamster which was a bit sad, especially for the hamster).

So if you aren't a cat lover, get a dog. Affenpinschers are also great for this.

I agree though that you may have more than one house guest. I don't know if one little mouse would be making so much noise.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't like cats, but I may very well need one. I am completely hysterical about bugs and mice, it's true. I didn't even realize how batshit I was over mice until last night, as I've never had to deal with one in my home until now. Okay, traps are set and laid out. Now need to bug landlord.

NOT clicking on any YouTube videos featuring mice doing creepy shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy40 View Post
If you bring in the neighbor's cat, won't it hurt itself on the mouse traps?
I've got the enclosed kind that a cat could not fit into unless it were very, very tiny.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
We discovered last night that my 12 year old cat is a terrific mouse-catcher (I suspect she's also a mouse-bringer-into-the-houser, too, but that's not important right now). Since I also suspect that she peed on the kitchen floor for no good reason, you can have her if you come and get her.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM
Are you against poison? I don't want to see dead mice. Or live mice. But I guess if you use the poison where it makes them all thirsty, there's the risk they die in your walls...mmm...smells like home!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I've got the enclosed kind that a cat could not fit into unless it were very, very tiny.
I want a tiny cat.

StG
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
1. Go to store, buy glue pads for mice.
2. Put newspaper down.
3. Put nuts or cheese in middle of glue pad.
4. Place glue pad atop newspaper.
5. Move out for a day or so.
6. Ask/Pay someone unafraid of mice to go in and see if mice is stuck on pad. Let them deal with the results.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
I want a tiny cat.

StG
I don't - my cats are underfoot all the time as it is, and if they were tiny, I'd have killed them by now.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM
So we know you're not mean, are you old and a lady?

Methinks a name change may be in order.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Last year I was out at a friend's ranch, a house on a hill surrounded by miles of wilds. It was made of raw wood for the most part and had that wonderful earthy smell. The beds were natural too, cedar posts and slats. Sometime that first evening after I'd drifted off I was awakened by a sound. I'd never heard that particular sound before but there was absolutely no mistaking what it was. There's only one thing that could have sounded like that noise that came mere inches from my head. It was the sound of a mouse walking along the cedar bed headrail, losing it's balance and scratching to regain control as it fell off one side.

Since I was laying on my back, face to the ceiling and the mouse hadn't landed on my face, I assumed it fell off the back side. Since it had already fallen, there really wasn't much cause for me to spring to my feet, scream and become invested in a search that might have ended with bullet holes in my friend's cabin. And since I lay there hearing the sound in my mind over and over again and listening for it's repeat I ended up not getting much more sleep anyway.

So the next morn' we set a snap trap up along the loft and retreated to the living room to watch Sunday football. Most of the time the TV sound was up or we were talking or carrying on some such way but by some weird coincidence the one time there was a lull in the action and things briefly fell quiet, off in the far distance we all heard the unmistakable sound of a tiny little "snap". Goodbye mouse in the house.

Last edited by lieu; 07-31-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:27 PM
My favorite mice are the small round nearly-spherical kind. When they are running about, they look like a little tumbling dust bunny. So cute, squeeee!

It was especially funny because my cat would just ignore them. "There! Right there! Mouse, get it! It's sniffing your tail for gods sake, get it!"