Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 AM
BANNED
Song with numbers in the chorus [ed. title]

I've heard this recently a few times; the refrain ends with a heavily stressed set of numbers, like a telephone number--Two Six Eight Four Three Six Nine, or something. Anyone know the title?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Well, if you're sure it was the Police, maybe "Murder by Numbers."

If you're not sure it was the Police, I'd guess "Jenny" by Tommy Tutone.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Charter Member
I was thinking "Jenny" too but it really doesn't sound much like the Police, although it is from the same period.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Charter Member
Yep, sounds like Murder by Numbers by the description...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1Wp-SZSBkjk

ETA: it was the B-Side to Every Breath you Take. "Murder by numbers - 1, 2, 3; it's as easy to learn as your A, B, C's..."

Good song. One of favorites of theirs...

Last edited by WordMan; 08-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:26 PM
The refrain in Murder by Numbers is

"'cause it's murder by numbers, 1,2,3...
it's as easy to learn as your ABCs..."

I find it hard to reconcile that with "a heavily stressed set of numbers, like a telephone number--Two Six Eight Four Three Six Nine, or something"

I know the OP said it was a Police song, but I'm betting it's Jenny

"eight-six-seven, five-three-oh-nine..."

Having just listened to it, I can see how the music might sound Police-ish...but the vocals are clearly "not Sting"
Old 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member
Invisible Sun, maybe? It starts out with Sting counting to six.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3:20:59 or bust View Post
Well, if you're sure it was the Police, maybe "Murder by Numbers."

If you're not sure it was the Police, I'd guess "Jenny" by Tommy Tutone.
This is my guess. Doesn't sound like the Police, but is the only song I could think of that fits the description.

ETA: Oh, since it hasn't been linked yet.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-29-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:37 PM
He's probably confused because the standard police car is a two tone.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm think it's "Invisible Sun." It starts with a very slow and distinct count of 6 interspersed with music. One of their songs that isn't as well known as it should be, IMHO.

Give it a listen:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NIylUcGDi-Y
Old 08-30-2012, 01:19 AM
BANNED
I tried playing the melody on my Melodica, and I got:
F-B-A-G-F-E-F-D. It's sung in a rather exuberant manner, by a mixed chorus. I hope that helps. (The B is the highest note.)
(YouTube stuff doesn't play well on my computer--too much buffering.)
Old 08-30-2012, 01:34 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie_monty View Post
F-B-A-G-F-E-F-D. It's sung in a rather exuberant manner, by a mixed chorus. I hope that helps. (The B is the highest note.)
As an aside it would be awesome if there was a websire you could type "F-B-A-G-F-E-F-D" into and have it play the notes for you.
Just sayin'.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
As an aside it would be awesome if there was a websire you could type "F-B-A-G-F-E-F-D" into and have it play the notes for you.
Just sayin'.
This will do you one better. You can type in the notes (although you need to specify the octave, so "f2 b2 a2 g2 f2 e2 f2 d2" for our example) and it will search its database to try to find a match.

No hits on that melody that work with the information given in the OP.

Whatever it is, that melody isn't Jenny. There is some similarity in the contour of it, but Jenny is more like "C#-C#-D-D-C#-C#-B-C#-B-A." It doesn't fit with "Murder by Numbers," either.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Are you sure they weren't saying "Ee oh, ee oh, ee oh oh oh oh"? Seems like all of their songs had that.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Charter Member
This reminds me of Warsaw by Joy Division: it starts off, not with a 1-2-3-4 call, but a "3 5 0 1 2 5 go!" The chorus simply consists of "3 1 g" repeated several times.

I mention it because Joy Division and early Police are fairly similar: intelligent, energetic punk/postpunk.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Could it have been Invisible Sun? It has number in it as well.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
The Time (with Morris Day, remember him?) had "Seven seven seven ninety-three eleven" but it doesn't sound anything at all like the Police, The Time being a Prince related group.

The Police always sounded a little bit like a reggae/lite punk fusion to me.

I'm betting on the Tutone song.

From Wiki (about The Police):
Quote:
Although the early style of the group has been classified as punk rock, Allmusic Guide argues that this was only true "... in the loosest sense of the term"; the Guide states that the band's "... nervous, reggae-injected pop/rock was punky" and had a "punk spirit", but it "wasn't necessarily punk"
Wiki labels Tommy Tutone as "a power pop band."

I could see a little cross over confusion with certain Police songs.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM
BTW, today, I'm listening to every Police song I own. Not as research for this thread, simply because their music is cool.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
So - wait: did you listen to Murder by Numbers and rule it out?

...and while Jenny has chanting numbers at the very end, Tommy Tutone doesn't sound much like Der Stingle, so hard to connect those dots, near as I can tell...

I am not in a position to play through the chords you picked out...may be able to try this at home...
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
So - wait: did you listen to Murder by Numbers and rule it out?

...and while Jenny has chanting numbers at the very end, Tommy Tutone doesn't sound much like Der Stingle, so hard to connect those dots, near as I can tell...

I am not in a position to play through the chords you picked out...may be able to try this at home...
(Those aren't chords--that's his approximation of the melody line.)

The reason I don't think it's "Murder By Numbers" is because the melody he plucked out has way too much step-wise movement, whereas the Murder By Numbers chorus melody is mostly Sting bouncing down and up a fifth, it'd be something like "B-B-B-E-E-B-B-E" (with the B being higher than the E).

This is assuming he is transcribing the chorus. The notes given don't correspond to any melody I could think of, but there's a vague chance it's some rough approximation Jenny, with a lot of wrong notes. If you made all the Fs F#s in his tune, and made the first four notes "F#-F#-G-G" instead of "F-B-A-G," then it's a first order approximation of "Jenny."

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-30-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
(Those aren't chords--that's his approximation of the melody line.)

The reason I don't think it's "Murder By Numbers" is because the melody he plucked out has way too much step-wise movement, whereas the Murder By Numbers chorus melody is mostly Sting bouncing down and up a fifth, it'd be something like "B-B-B-E-E-B-B-E" (with the B being higher than the E).

This is assuming he is transcribing the chorus. The notes given don't correspond to any melody I could think of, but there's a vague chance it's some rough approximation Jenny, with a lot of wrong notes. If you made all the Fs F#s in his tune, and made the first four notes "F#-F#-G-G" instead of "F-B-A-G," then it's a first order approximation of "Jenny."
Got your logic; thanks. I will say, rather sheepishly, that off the top of my head, I believe I play Jenny with F# D A B as the chords underneath the signature riff which starts with a partial A chord up at the 5th fret and resolves on a partial B chord, kinda like what EVH uses to ping harmonics in Panama...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm pretty sure that Jenny is the song. I think that the Police connection is the rhythm and chord pattern, similar to Message In A Bottle. It would be nice if the OP would listen to a few of the suggestions.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
I'm pretty sure that Jenny is the song. I think that the Police connection is the rhythm and chord pattern, similar to Message In A Bottle.
Ah - hadn't thought of that. True.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah, being familiar with The Police's catalog, I feel pretty confident in saying whatever song the OP's talking about isn't them. Maybe Stin(k)g solo?
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't know about the rhythm and cord progression but the list of numbers immediately brought AC/DC to mind.

Dirty Deeds

Relevant verse:

Pick up the phone
I'm always home
Call me any time
Just ring 36 24 36 [oh!!]
I lead a life of crime
Old 08-30-2012, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Got your logic; thanks. I will say, rather sheepishly, that off the top of my head, I believe I play Jenny with F# D A B as the chords underneath the signature riff which starts with a partial A chord up at the 5th fret and resolves on a partial B chord, kinda like what EVH uses to ping harmonics in Panama...
Those are the correct chords. It's F#m,D,A,B. The melody (by that, I mean the notes that are sung in "8-6-7-5-3-0-9" over that is the one I gave before, "C#-C#-D-D-C#-C#-B-C#-B-A" (or something similar--I omitted a syllable here and there.) I transposed it up a fourth to better match the key the OP's plucked-out melody is.

Last edited by pulykamell; 08-30-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Charter Member
{Wanders through thread, singing Dirty deeds, done with sheep...}
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
{Wanders through thread, singing Dirty deeds, done with sheep...}
You are truly Demento-ed.

IANDD
SPOILER:
I am not Dr Demento
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Those are the correct chords. It's F#m,D,A,B. The melody (by that, I mean the notes that are sung in "8-6-7-5-3-0-9" over that is the one I gave before, "C#-C#-D-D-C#-C#-B-C#-B-A" (or something similar--I omitted a syllable here and there.) I transposed it up a fourth to better match the key the OP's plucked-out melody is.
I knew that I wonder if I play enough strings in the power chord I hit to even know if I make it F#m vs. F#? The minute I read your post, I thought "oh yeah F3 minor - but typically I am just grabbing the lower 3 strings of the chord to establish the rhythm (I sing the song in the band so only need to hold down the basic rhythm...).

As for the OP - who knows. Maybe it's the Bay City Rollers and there was confusion between calling out numbers and calling out letters - S A T U R D A Y - night!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlitherial View Post
I don't know about the rhythm and cord progression but the list of numbers immediately brought AC/DC to mind.
Same here, except I was thinking of Whole Lotta Rosie:

She ain't exactly pretty
She ain't exaclty small
42-39-56
You could say she's got it ALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
I knew that I wonder if I play enough strings in the power chord I hit to even know if I make it F#m vs. F#? The minute I read your post, I thought "oh yeah F3 minor - but typically I am just grabbing the lower 3 strings of the chord to establish the rhythm (I sing the song in the band so only need to hold down the basic rhythm...).

As for the OP - who knows. Maybe it's the Bay City Rollers and there was confusion between calling out numbers and calling out letters - S A T U R D A Y - night!
I think that the original definition of "power chord" is the 3-string version you use, and it consists of the I V I (so your F# would be F# C# F#). No III = no major or minor = power chord.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I knew that I wonder if I play enough strings in the power chord I hit to even know if I make it F#m vs. F#?
If it's a power chord, then no. A power chord by definition omits the third. Technically, it should be called a "power interval," but that doesn't sound very rockin' does it? Anyhow, yes, you can get away with omitting the third. That's pretty usual in rock music, especially if the guitar is distorted/overdriven.

Quote:
The minute I read your post, I thought "oh yeah F3 minor - but typically I am just grabbing the lower 3 strings of the chord to establish the rhythm (I sing the song in the band so only need to hold down the basic rhythm...).
I assume you're playing something like a 2-4-4 fretting for the F# chord? Then, no you wouldn't be hitting the minor (the A). If you're playing a fully barred minor chord (like an Em shape barred at the second fret) than it's the fourth string from the bottom (the G string) that gives you the minor color.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM
There was a song on Ghosts in the Machine (I think) called "Hungry for You (J'Aurais Toujour Faim de Toi)" where Sting did sing the French part a lot at the end. It's a stretch but maybe that is it?
Old 08-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I assume you're playing something like a 2-4-4 fretting for the F# chord? Then, no you wouldn't be hitting the minor (the A). If you're playing a fully barred minor chord (like an Em shape barred at the second fret) than it's the fourth string from the bottom (the G string) that gives you the minor color.
Yep, per you and Crotalus, that's what I'm doing. And I knew it was a power chord - believe me, I rarely grab full chords when I am singing and playing rhythm in the band . But I had forgotten that if I did want to play the full chord, whether it would've been a major or a minor...

Carry on with this mysterious Police song...

...wait!!! Could it be Rio, by Duran Duran?
Old 08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Back to "Jenny", I think the interesting thing about the guitar part is that the main riff plays the same note consecutively on two different strings (it does this three times in each iteration of the riff) -- but because the two strings are different thicknesses, there is a subtle timbre difference between them.

I think the Byrds pulled this trick on some of their riffs as well.

As for the Police song -- "Masoko Tanga" contains all kinds of gibberish (or is it actually some language?), but I couldn't find anything that fit the description.

I'm betting the OP confused the riffs for "Message in a Bottle" and "Jenny", and so conflated the two songs.

Last edited by JKellyMap; 08-30-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Back to "Jenny", I think the interesting thing about the guitar part is that the main riff plays the same note consecutively on two different strings (it does this three times in each iteration of the riff) -- but because the two strings are different thicknesses, there is a subtle timbre difference between them.
It isn't the thicknesses, per se, it is the slightly different intonations of the two strings.

Jim "Roger" McGuinn of the Byrds played Rickenbacker 12-string guitars, inspired by seeing George Harrison's. Since the higher 2-string "courses" of strings (that's what they are officially called: courses. A 12-string has 6 2-string courses; a mandolin has 4 2-string courses) are tuned in unison, you get the same "slightly out of tune" effect so it sounds interesing...kind of like having a Chorus effect, naturally.

Last edited by WordMan; 08-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Quote:
It isn't the thicknesses, per se, it is the slightly different intonations of the two strings.

Jim "Roger" McGuinn of the Byrds played Rickenbacker 12-string guitars, inspired by seeing George Harrison's. Since the higher 2-string "courses" of strings (that's what they are officially called: courses. A 12-string has 6 2-string courses; a mandolin has 4 2-string courses) are tuned in unison, you get the same "slightly out of tune" effect so it sounds interesing...kind of like having a Chorus effect, naturally.
Ah, thanks! And, rather akin to overdubbing with the same singer singing the same exact notes. I know most songs (e.g., nearly all Beatles songs) were done that way (John, in particular, apparently didn't like the sound of his own voice when it was just single-tracked). And, I know this is often done, a la the Chorus effect you mentioned, by "artificially" double-tracking a single vocal performance -- but that's never as interesting as "real" double-tracking.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
I'll bet its Rio -
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Quote:
I had forgotten that if I did want to play the full chord, whether it would've been a major or a minor...
Having arrived at home and tried it out, the minor works better than the major.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
Having arrived at home and tried it out, the minor works better than the major.
There ya go. Thanks.

Gotta run; my son actually wants me to show him Can't You Hear Me Knockin'...
Old 08-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm a pretty obsessive Police fan, and the OP's description sounds like Tommy Tutone's "867-5309/Jenny." The guitar is chorus-y and sounds a little Summers-like, which might be where the OP gets the Police connection. The outro is the TT backing vocalist, mostly. Doesn't sound too Sting/Copelandish.

I can't think of a Police track that has random numbers called out. The number songs in my recollection are all in sequence (MBN, Invisible Sun)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic
This reminds me of Warsaw by Joy Division: it starts off, not with a 1-2-3-4 call, but a "3 5 0 1 2 5 go!" The chorus simply consists of "3 1 g" repeated several times.

I mention it because Joy Division and early Police are fairly similar: intelligent, energetic punk/postpunk.
Did you know that is a reference to Rudolf Hess' prison number? 31G-350125. Love JD, but WTF, Ian?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Hollow View Post
Did you know that is a reference to Rudolf Hess' prison number? 31G-350125. Love JD, but WTF, Ian?
Isn't the song supposed to be about Rudolf Hess from his point of view?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Charter Member
So, are we going to get closure on this one?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM
I vote for "conflated Tommy Tutone's Jenny with Police's Message in a Bottle"... guess we could do this as a poll, until the OP confirms the fact (and in case he/she never does so.)
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM
I also think it must surely be "Jenny". But, if we want hit songs from late-70s, vaguely punk-ish English bands, whose singer and principal songwriter played the bass, how about 2-4-6-8 Motorway by the Tom Robinson Band? Also includes the line "3-5-7-9". Good song.

Or City Boy, with the unforgettable 5.7.0.5.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Charter Member
Number, please...

My guess is 853-5937 by Squeeze. Reached #32 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1988.

Last edited by whitetho; 09-03-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: I'm not perfect! Is that okay with you? I'll be in my room...
Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Charter Member
Angela can't make it to the phone
If you care to leave your name and number
Please speak clearly after the tone
She'll give you a ring when she is home
Old 09-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67 View Post
Angela can't make it to the phone
If you care to leave your name and number
Please speak clearly after the tone
She'll give you a ring when she is home
I thought I was the only one with this song in my head...
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetho View Post
My guess is 853-5937 by Squeeze. Reached #32 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1988.
Has the OP come back to this thread? Because I can't believe I didn't offer up this - from my favorite Squeeze album Babylon and On. If it isn't Tommy Tutone, I'd wager it being this... good call whitetho!

"She's in Mill Hill, I'm in Bermondsey..."

Last edited by Hippy Hollow; 09-03-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:56 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Hollow View Post
Has the OP come back to this thread? Because I can't believe I didn't offer up this - from my favorite Squeeze album Babylon and On. If it isn't Tommy Tutone, I'd wager it being this... good call whitetho!

"She's in Mill Hill, I'm in Bermondsey..."
Sorry, but I don't think there was a "seven" in it, let alone at the end.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't think there was a "seven" in it, let alone at the end.
So have you checked all the songs in this thread? And you can confirm it's none of them? Can you at least give us a better idea of what songs maybe fit the vibe you're looking for?