Old 10-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Fiona Apple controversy from 1995ish?

I remember way back when, there was some awards ceremony controversy with Fiona Apple. Can anyone explain to me what happened? I tried Googling it and haven't found anything. I have no idea why I'm now thinking about it, but so it goes.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:15 PM
This speech in 1997
Old 10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
This speech in 1997
I think that's it.

97? Huh, I guess my mind is foggy.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM
I used my dazzling wiki skills to find this:
Quote:
In 1996, Apple's debut album, Tidal, was released by Work Records and Columbia Records. The album sold 2.7 million copies and was certified three times platinum in the U.S. "Criminal", the third single, became a hit and the song reached the top forty on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. The song's controversial Mark Romanek–directed music video—in which a scantily clad Apple appeared in a 1970s-era tract house—played on MTV. Apple later said: "I decided if I was going to be exploited, then I would do the exploiting myself."
...about this video.

Last edited by voltaire; 10-20-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Tidal is one of the best albums produced in the 90's. Brilliant work.

I never cared much for Fiona's other albums.

Last edited by aceplace57; 10-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I remember she was on an awards show, might have been MTV, and she won something and gave a pretty inflammatory speech. Afterwards, the host Chris Rock said something like "Damn! That is one angry white girl!"

This is my only memory of Fiona Apple.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM
I saw her in concert last night. She was amazing and so strange in the best way possible.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melondeca View Post
I saw her in concert last night. She was amazing and so strange in the best way possible.
That sums up probably everything about Fiona Apple. And her name pops up in the weirdest places. For some reason, I love that she was best friends (and roommates) with Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe from 24) when she was recording her second CD. It just sounds so random.*

* But not really as Rajskub was dating one of Apple's other friends at the time.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
That sums up probably everything about Fiona Apple. And her name pops up in the weirdest places. For some reason, I love that she was best friends (and roommates) with Mary Lynn Rajskub (Chloe from 24) when she was recording her second CD. It just sounds so random.*

* But not really as Rajskub was dating one of Apple's other friends at the time.
Yeah, they were both part of the Largo scene in LA back in the 90's. A lot of cool people palled around with that crowd... Elliott Smith, Mr E (of Eels), Paul F. Tompkins, Aimee Mann, Michael Penn, Paul T. Anderson, Rufus Wainwright, and others.