Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Charter Member
.MOV files on a PC without installing Quicktime

Itís been years since I needed/wanted to watch a .MOV file on a PC. There are several iOS devices in the house, but most are in the officeóthe den and kitchen viewscreens are PC-based. Obviously Quicktime would do it, but I wonít install Apple software on my PC. I believe the last solution I found years ago was Real Alternative, but I donít know whether progress/simplicity has made it easier.

Is there a plug-in for WMP? Winamp? An easy conversion utility?

(Note to fanboys: start or participate in a Pit thread if your only contribution is to praise Apple software and insist that I should be installing it anyway.)
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Standard advice these days is to use VLC. It's a basic, straightforward video player that can handle practically any format ever made. Use it, and you'll never have to muck around with codec packs and all that nonsense.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Charter Member
On my new computer, I installed K-Lite Codec Pack. It includes Media Player Classic and codecs to play various types of media files, including .MOV files.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Just get freemake video converter and load up all of the mov files and convert them to the format of your choice. Then you never have to worry about dodgy codecs and unfamiliar playback software. It's free and fast especially if you have a fast video card.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Charter Member
Thanks--VLC did the trick.

Can't believe I forgot about Media Player Classic; that's how I first found Real Alternative way back when!
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I think MPlayer or SMPlayer should work, but I haven't personally tested it with a .mov under the latest windows os.