Old 11-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Three-digit phone number?

Yesterday afternoon I got a call on my cellphone. The caller was listed as three digits only. No name or anything.

What's going on with that? What is that?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Probably just a caller ID spoof... maybe a telemarketer?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
They can do that? Lame!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Sure. Anybody can do that through web-based spoofing services.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM
If you have ongoing issues with random calls like that, ask about privacy protections from your phone company. Or get something like Google Voice and do the filtering yourself.

Last edited by Reply; 11-29-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I called my phone company (AT&T) to ask about their privacy protection services. There are two services to choose from. Both have so many limitations as to be utterly useless for the purpose of limiting junk calls. The biggest limitation is that they can only block local calls, not long-distance calls. So how many of your junk calls actually originate, like, in your own neighborhood?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM
That's why Google Voice is great. You can put unknown callers in a different group and send them straight to voicemail, or if you keep getting calls from a specific unwanted number, you can just mark it as spam and never hear from them again. It's free too. Downside is that you'll need to either port your number to them or else give everyone a new number.

But been using it for years now and phone spam is no longer an issue at all.