Old 12-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Indigo children...

Have any of you heard of 'indigo children?' No? It was new to me as well. I say 'was' with some regret.

Today was my initiation into the mysteries and joys of raising an indigo child by an acquaintance of mine who claims that her child is an indigo child. Baffled, I asked her what an indigo child is. I have to admit that I was hoping for it to be some rare skin condition that makes her kid look like a rejected midget from Avatar. Alas this was not to be.

What then, is an indigo child? According to parapsychologist Nancy Ann Tappe the traits of an indigo child are that they are empathetic, curious, strong-willed, independent, and often perceived by friends and family as being strange; possess a clear sense of self-definition and purpose; exhibit a strong innate sub-conscious spirituality from early childhood (which, however, does not necessarily imply a direct interest in spiritual or religious areas);and a strong feeling of entitlement, or "deserving to be here."
Other alleged traits include: a high intelligence quotient, an inherent intuitive ability; and
resistance to rigid, control-based paradigms of authority.

If this sounds a little vague...you are quite correct. Thanks to the Forer Effect it is just vague enough to be applicable to any-fucking-one. After a lengthy dissertation and a couple hours around her kid, I have drawn a more honest conclusion as to what indigo children are. They are a way for lazy dumbshit parents to excuse their children's inappropriate behaviour/mental illness/learning disorders.

In the specific case I was exposed to indigo child means AD-fucking-HD. The little shitball wouldn't obey simple instructions from his mother, wouldn't respect my requests to stop unsnapping the epaulets on my facket, and wouldn't stop bouncing off the walls. I know, kids have a lot of energy, but this kid was frightening. He literally did not stop moving or talking, and she wonders why he is constantly considered a discipline problem at school and has failing grades in so many classes.

So, Listen up all you parents of 'indigo children': your kids are not possessed of paranormal powers, they are not more spiritually mature (whatever that bullshit means,) and they are not special, except to you. To the rest of us they are a virus with shoes. quit trying to convince the rest of the world that your drooling little freak is special because you and your pediatric aromatherapist have slapped a bullshit pseudoscientific label on them. Do your kid a favor that will help them: take them to a doctor, see if there is something wrong, something that can be treated. If their doc comes back with your kid being fairly normal, then learn to fucking discipline the little beast. Don't just slap a stupid bullshit label on them and think that is going to excuse their inappropriate, antisocial behaviour.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 PM
That is hilarious. Several years ago my brother, and then I, got into studying metaphysical stuff (well, I tried to learn about it; he went full blown Woo). His younger son exhibited all the traits you mentioned and was deemed an Indigo Child ( the "Blue One" has been on meds for ten years now). I said to bro "you know who was just like that as a kid? Me. And I dropped out of college and ended up in rehab". There aint nothing special about being maladjusted; please don't reward it with a special title.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikey pete View Post
If this sounds a little vague...you are quite correct. Thanks to the Forer Effect it is just vague enough to be applicable to any-fucking-one. After a lengthy dissertation and a couple hours around her kid, I have drawn a more honest conclusion as to what indigo children are. They are a way for lazy dumbshit parents to excuse their children's inappropriate behaviour/mental illness/learning disorders.
More of a way for parents to ignore behavioral issues, not just real disorders (athough it might develop into that). And of course, if not disciplined any kid can be assholish enough to qualify! Your kid's not a brat - she's an Indigo Child and is just expressing her Strong Sense of Individuality! Well, that's not going to go well once she hits school. Or college. Or work.

Fuckin' New Age Shit never dies, it just mutates into Newer Age Shit

Quote:
unsnapping the epaulets on my facket
I'm very curious as to what this means. No sarcasm intended - I don't understand this statement at all.

Last edited by smiling bandit; 12-13-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM
Creature of the Night
Jenny McCarthy used to claim that her child was indigo, until he turned out to be autistic. Then, of course, it was the fault of the eeeeevil vaccine.

http://childrenofthenewearth.com/fre...jenny/article1

Some people should not be parents. She's one of them.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Creature of the Night
Whoops, sorry, Jenny is HERSELF an Indigo (though early) and her child was a Crystal. I was misremembering. Now I need to go scrub my brain.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post

I'm very curious as to what this means. No sarcasm intended - I don't understand this statement at all.
I believe "facket" was a typo for "jacket."

Fust my opinion, though.

As for the OP--nicely done.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 PM
facket...oops, typo, that should be 'jacket.' I have an old Schott motorcycle jacket which I love. It has epaulets on the shoulders. The little monster wouldn't quit unsnapping them and then tugging on them. It took all my self control to not backhand the little fucker.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Indigo children... need a good swift kick up the arse. And then another one.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM
I'll tell you what I need for dealing with indigo kids: a veterinary dart gun with ritalin suspension loaded darts.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I have an acquaintance who, for all I can tell, is completely subsumed and involved in this nonsense. She runs some sort of group called "Indigo Child Activated" or "Indigo Children Moving" (I don't remember the actual name) that apparently allows these children to feel that their complete inability to engage in the world in any meaningful way is a manifestation of their higher evolution. The group is all about how their profound inability to function in society is not something that they need to consider an issue, but that the rest of society just needs to adapt to them.

The group's entire focus is getting laws and regulations passed, and norms changed, so that people who can't sit or stand still for literally one second are the norm, and everyone else is the exception.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Charter Jays Fan
The "indigo child" thing is kind of ten years ago, guys. This fad has long passed except among the hard core woosters.

I can sympathize, a little bit, with the people who fall for this nonsense; they're just not very bright, or ill informed, and are faced with a kid who has some behavioural issues, which believe me is a scary and daunting thing. Some woo merchant sells them a bill of goods and poof, there you go. But really, the Indigo Child thing peaked in like 2001. This thread's years late.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikey pete View Post
I'll tell you what I need for dealing with indigo kids: a veterinary dart gun with ritalin suspension loaded darts.
I must disagree slightly on this, it would be much more satisfying if the dart was loaded with telazol.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Repeat until unconscious -- either them from the impact or you from exhaustion.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 AM
Charter Member
Apparently, I have an Indigo Chihuahua.

Last edited by pullin; 12-14-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 AM
Anyone who goes along with the "Indigo Children" crap is obviously incapable of using google:
Source of the Indigo children crap.

Basically, you have a self proclaimed psychic "channeling" a space alien named Kryon.

That sounds like a really GOOD source of child rearing advice. Not!

Last edited by furdmort; 12-14-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah, to my recollection there's something about this shit starting in about 2000, which is the year my daughter was born so if I was a fruitcake I could call her one (like, they're not saying that it was just recognized then, but it actually STARTED then, for some magical reason I'm not clear on). And then there's something called "crystal children" or something too.

I blame mothering.com forums for this nuttery.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Hahahahaha!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM
So, there really is no spoon?
Old 12-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by furdmort View Post
That sounds like a really GOOD source of child rearing advice. Not!
Did somebody mention fads from 10 years ago? Party on, Wayne and Garth!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Are you sure it's not the parents who fall for the woo who need it? But actually, to be fair I can in a way understand how parents would seek an explanation that says the kid's acting up is not some sort of moral failure on their part. However reaching for THIS explanation is an intellectual failure. Picking up some aura-reader's story to build up a theory making this become some sort of mystically superior evolutionary step, sounds like overcompensating.

Yes, in some ways the society/institutions should show a degree of tolerance for how not everyone just naturally clicks into the sociobehavioral norm fully or at the same pace and it does not make them bad or defective. Up to a point. It's when you start saying they do not need to adapt at all that you start going wrong.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 12-14-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 AM
These are not bad men
These are not bad girls
They just stray by
In their own little world

"Indigo Friends" - Reverend Horton Heat
Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
BANNED
Indigo is passe! Crystal Children, dude, that's where it is now! Their auras are crystal-colored!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 AM
It's actually caused by poor blood circulation. Could be a heart condition.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hartwick View Post
Did somebody mention fads from 10 years ago? Party on, Wayne and Garth!
That one was 10 years ago 10 years ago. Wayne's World is 20 years old now and came out when I was a baby.

*gets off your lawn*
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Maybe my Boston Terrier is an Indigo Child. I'll have to look into this.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
HAhahahah, /thread
I died
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
The "indigo child" thing is kind of ten years ago, guys.
Try 30 years ago. (Holy shit! 1982 was THIRTY years ago!!!!) http://amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0982270585

My mom had that first book. Thought it was a crock of shit, but she collected crock of shit self help books for the laughs.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Indigo children...

...won't you come out tonight?
come out tonight?
come out tonight?

We had a thread about this ten years ago:

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...ndigo+Children
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Sure they may seem spoiled, but I suspect that the less they seek their source for some definitive, the closer they'll be to fine.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I've known a few people who were into the whole Star Children thing. Even for those who believe in it, Indigo Children supposedly aren't being born anymore and ought to be all grown up by now. So any parent who claims to have an Indigo Child now, isn't even getting the woo stuff right. If you're going to do the new age stuff, at least stay with the newest.

I thought Crystal Children was the newest version of this, but I did a quick Google search apparently even that's like 10 years old now and the new thing is Rainbow Children, who are born to Crystal Children parents or something. It's hard to keep up on this stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Sure they may seem spoiled, but I suspect that the less they seek their source for some definitive, the closer they'll be to fine.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Indigo is passe! Crystal Children, dude, that's where it is now! Their auras are crystal-colored!
The best part of that wiki page is the "See also: Psychopath"
Old 12-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster Master View Post
I thought Crystal Children was the newest version of this, but I did a quick Google search apparently even that's like 10 years old now and the new thing is Rainbow Children, who are born to Crystal Children parents or something. It's hard to keep up on this stuff.
Crystal children are having rainbow babies at ten years old? That just ain't right.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster Master View Post
Yeah, I've known a few people who were into the whole Star Children thing. Even for those who believe in it, Indigo Children supposedly aren't being born anymore and ought to be all grown up by now. So any parent who claims to have an Indigo Child now, isn't even getting the woo stuff right. If you're going to do the new age stuff, at least stay with the newest.

If Crystal Children have Rainbow Babies, do Sea People have Anchor Babies?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
...won't you come out tonight?
come out tonight?
come out tonight?
Maybe we could get the Indigo Girls to record it?
Quote:

We had a thread about this ten years ago:

http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...ndigo+Children
Missed that one obviously - this is the first time I can recall hearing about it.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM
For those worried they might be indigo/crystal/rainbow children, this helpful quiz might set your mind at ease. I learned that 1) I am evidently normal, and 2) indigo children can't spell worth shit.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by furdmort View Post
Basically, you have a self proclaimed psychic "channeling" a space alien named Kryon.
Kyron?? Seriously??? What a load of crap. Everyone knows Xenu is the only space alien worth listening to.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
For those worried they might be indigo/crystal/rainbow children, this helpful quiz might set your mind at ease. I learned that 1) I am evidently normal, and 2) indigo children can't spell worth shit.
Well, that was the worst quiz ever in the history of the planet. Thanks.

Quote:
You seem to be a normal person.

No! Don't be sad, normal people evolutes to, you can be a normal person an be very spiritual at the same time ! btw, normal people can be psychic too, So don't be that dissapointed ! Just try to more curious, try to believe in things you can't see and be more open-minded. There are very much things science has never been able to explane but these things still do exist. But don't take it the wrong way, i might be wrong...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
I feel bad for these kids though. They "learn" from their parents that they're special; that won't work as an excuse in 99% of the world.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Well, that was the worst quiz ever in the history of the planet. Thanks.
I aim to displease.

It is indeed a train wreck of a quiz. For further amusement, see this board thread of people who just loooooove the quiz.
http://youthink.com/quiz.cfm?act...l&obj_id=73891

For those people who complain that despite the tagline, Dopers really aren't that smart: this is the competition.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
I aim to displease.

It is indeed a train wreck of a quiz. For further amusement, see this board thread of people who just loooooove the quiz.

For those people who complain that despite the tagline, Dopers really aren't that smart: this is the competition.
Blocked. Drats. I'll have to wait till tonight to become enlightened. I think I'll enlighten myself with a couple of beers beforehand.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I was going to make some lesbian lack of reproductive ability crack but this is better.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Blocked. Drats. I'll have to wait till tonight to become enlightened. I think I'll enlighten myself with a couple of beers beforehand.
You're missing out, some of the better ones:

8. Which element do you prefer ?
-Water
-Fire
-Air
-Earth
-I don`t have a preference, i love all of them all!
-I don`t like any of them

18. Did you already experienced an " out of body " experience ?
-Yes, more than once
-Yes, only once
-Kinda...
-" no, at least, not yet, but i`m trying to "
-No, and i never will

19. Have you already seen a ghost or felt a ghosts presence ?
-Yes, it happens oftenly (both)
-Yes... (both)
-I`ve already felt a ghosts presence (only)
-i`ve already seen a ghost (only)
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
You're missing out, some of the better ones:

Hey Sitnam, I was able to participate in this well thought out scientific quiz, it's the youthink board that TroutMan linked to that I can't access. How about being kind enough to share some of those gems with me? Pretty please?

Last edited by Leaffan; 12-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
I aim to displease.

That was one badly written quiz. Although I do take consolation in the fact that I'm considered a normal person by my results.

Any quiz that considers my reactions to be normal is, by definition, a bad quiz.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Quote:
I aim to displease.

That was mean. I no is able to read no more after seeing that.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
Hey Sitnam, I was able to participate in this well thought out scientific quiz, it's the youthink board that TroutMan linked to that I can't access. How about being kind enough to share some of those gems with me? Pretty please?
It's a huge, huge pile of stupidity there. Really huge.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:22 PM
But...

I'm Special!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM
"Pediatric aromatherapist"...classic!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
But...

I'm Special!!!
I think the fact that you didn't choose "Indigo" for a color speaks for itself!