Old 01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
How illegal is sex in a car?

Over the holidays, I had family staying at my house. As a result, my GF and I were only able to enjoy each other in my car. We loved it so much that I feel it may become part of our repertoire. We were spotted on several occasions by a few of her neighbors (It was probably real stupid to do these things while being double-parked). One time, a cop drove by just as we were zipping back up. He slowed down, looked at us, and then drove away.

But what could the repercussions be if we were caught red-handed? Would it be" you crazy kids need to get a room" or "Hands up! You're going to jail!" or something in between? For the record, I live in NJ and most of the "crimes' occurred in the Ironbound section of Newark where she lives.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Sex in public is generally a cause to be arrested in most areas of the country. Think of the Children!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Charter Member
Is the interior of a car considered a public space?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Charter Member
I got caught as a teenager once.

The cops pulled us out of the car and put us in handcuffs.

They gave us an earful giving us the impression that we were on our way to jail.
Apparently, they just wanted to scar the shit out of us because the eventually let us go.

That was nearly 30 years ago. I'm not sure how that would play out these days.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace View Post
Is the interior of a car considered a public space?
It has windows. Doesn't that make it public?

Is it illegal to have sex in a windowless van?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking that unless you want to risk permanent sex-offender status you'd better be really careful where you do it.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM
I got caught once too. It scarred me for life and I will never have sex in a car again, ever. Not even if the car is on my own island.

We were twenty or so. It was a park, and there really wasn't anybody around. We had just finished (thank god!!!) when a cop banged on the window. He made both of us get out of the car, without any pants, utterly humiliated us by yelling at us and threatening to call our parents, looked at our IDs, and told us to scoot.

He was a sorry son of a bitch and I still remember the shame and the humiliation. That was...seventeen years ago.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Charter Member
Making Love in a Subaru
That's what I wanna do with you
We can always feel around the steering wheel
There seems to be so much that we can do...
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I got caught as a teenager once....
Problem is I'm 42 and she's 30. We should definitely know better.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by destineal View Post
I'm thinking that unless you want to risk permanent sex-offender status you'd better be really careful where you do it.
Really?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
There's nothing illegal about having sex in a car. Sex in a car in public is a different matter. You'd have to run into major assholes in the justice system to end up with a conviction that would put you on the sex-offender list, but it could happen, so definitely don't have sex with a judge's wife or daughter in a car.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I got caught as a teenager once.

The cops pulled us out of the car and put us in handcuffs.
Me, too, but it was in a drivein and the management asked us to come to the office. No handcuffs or police were involved.

At the office, they showed us the applicable laws about prostitution, which was pretty silly because nothing of the sort was going on. And they couldn't claim we were "performing" in public because what tipped them off in the first place was the totally fogged-up windows. I wonder what law that violated.

When I asked to borrow their phone to call the police and report a kidnapping (ours) if they continued to detain us, they thought it best to drop the matter. Ballsy, wasn't I?

Imagine...sex in a drivein!? What an unexpected concept!

Nevertheless, we didn't go to driveins much after that. Motels were so much better.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Depends how old the kid is.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Charter Member
You pull into a drive-in
And find a place to park
You hop into the backseat
Where you know it's nice and dark
You're just about to move in,
Thinkin' it's a breeze
There's a light in your eyes
And then a guy says
"Out of the car, Longhair"
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM
BANNED
It's a misdemeanor. The more you miss, da meaner you get.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 PM
I'd rather just spend $40 once or twice during the holidays to rent a cheap hotel room to take care of business. Who cares if you only use it for an hour or two, it beats getting arrested, and you certainly would have more room to operate.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:21 PM
A bf and I were caught back in college (in the late '60s). We were in a very remote area where nobody could have seen us, except for a cop car that just happened to be passing by. We got ourselves "presentable" damn fast, so he didn't literally see anything. He checked all our ID, then let us go with a warning. Sex between two males was a punishable crime back then, so we were lucky.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdash View Post
I'd rather just spend $40 once or twice during the holidays to rent a cheap hotel room to take care of business. Who cares if you only use it for an hour or two, it beats getting arrested, and you certainly would have more room to operate.
When you are young, you might not have $40. And to be honest, it's hard to find a hotel room that cheap these days without being completely skeevy.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Making Love in a Subaru
That's what I wanna do with you
We can always feel around the steering wheel
There seems to be so much that we can do...
Haven't heard that since the Dr. Demento days...
Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
He made both of us get out of the car, without any pants, ..
I have no idea why I found this incredibly funny, but I did. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time!

Anyway, if this is illegal then I probably broke the law about 200 times as a teenager.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Sometimes the cop can be cool about it. When I was dispatching, I had an officer arrive onscene of what was presumed to be an accident...car out in the country off the road, in a field.

A minute later, he called on the radio and said "No accident here, (dispatch). Just a little romantic interlude. I'm 10-8 (back in service)."

On the other hand, not too long ago a couple got arrested for shagging in a car. In the middle of the day. On the shoulder of a 4-lane highway. Because their legs and bare asses were hanging out of the rear passenger side door.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
I have no idea why I found this incredibly funny, but I did. I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time!

Anyway, if this is illegal then I probably broke the law about 200 times as a teenager.
Well, I can see how it would be funny now. It still hasn't gotten to the funny stage for me, alas.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdash View Post
The first time, it was purely spontaneous. The next couple times it was for the thrill of it, which a motel room can't help with. Now, three weeks later (and 5-6 incidents later), I'm afraid it might it might be an addiction for her. And since I'm the male and the driver, I suspect I'd be the one the cops would target.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
The first time, it was purely spontaneous. The next couple times it was for the thrill of it, which a motel room can't help with. Now, three weeks later (and 5-6 incidents later), I'm afraid it might it might be an addiction for her. And since I'm the male and the driver, I suspect I'd be the one the cops would target.
I should have such "problems."
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
I got caught once too...when a cop banged on the window. He made both of us get out of the car, without any pants...
And why wasn't the cop wearing any pants? Such kidders, those cops! I hope you told him to get dressed before arresting you.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifed Juggernaut View Post
Dude, if you're doing it while you're driving, getting arrested is the least of your worries.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
And why wasn't the cop wearing any pants? Such kidders, those cops! I hope you told him to get dressed before arresting you.
Yeah, and it wasn't just his participle that was dangling.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Thanks, you actually made me laugh about this old incident. I appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:04 PM
We weren't caught, but my wife and I were in NYC for our anniversary dinner and the warm weather, margaritas before dinner, wine with dinner, minimal clothing on my wife, and the fact that the kids were back at the house in NJ with a sitter all combined to get us too horny to make it back to the house. Plus, the 90 minute drive, interaction with the babysitter, etc would have quelled things a bit. We hadn't planned to stay the night (and there are no $40 hotel rooms in the city, I can assure you), so we took advantage of the fact that the car was in a parking garage. We managed to find a position that worked for us, my wife pulled off her sundress, and we went at it like bunnies. Of course, we didn't realize that where we were parked, every car that exited the garage swept their headlights across our windows, where they were all treated to the sight of two sweaty, 40-something adults acting like a couple of horny teenagers.

Didn't matter. There was no stopping us by that point.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Dude, if you're doing it while you're driving, getting arrested is the least of your worries.
It would certainly be likely to make his user name most appropriate.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
"A man that claims that he can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is not paying enough attention to the kissing."
-Albert Einstein
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
It has windows. Doesn't that make it public?

If the van's a-rockin', don't bother knockin'!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
If the van's a-rockin', don't bother knockin'!
Best bumper sticker EVAR.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Suspended
I got caught with a GF when I was 21..unfortunately, we both were naked..the spot was at a beach at a deserted lake. We decided to take a swim when the cops pulled up..it was embarrassing.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Got caught by the cops a couple of times as a teen. Way the hell deep in a state park, not in a Wendy's parking lot or somewhere "public".

We were scolded properly and sent on our way.

As late as maybe 8-10 years ago, my wife and I dropped the kids with my sister in South Carolina, and headed back to Georgia. Somewhere along the way, desire overwhelmed us, and we found a side road off a side road and got busy. Would have been dreadful for a 40yo married couple to get arrested for that!

And some time before that, we found a side road off I-75 coming back from Florida. We thought we were good and hidden, did our deeds on the hood of the car, then continued on home. The next time we went by the place, we could see from the highway that it was quite visible, even obvious! We grin at each other every time we go by there.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Charter Member
Sex in a car is OK, unless it is moving.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I was 20, she was 19. I drove us way the hell down a backroad in the hills, found a spot to pull over, and we got down to it. We were only as far as pants off and foreplay when there were suddenly headlights shining through the back window.

We got ourselves presentable mighty fast! The friendly police officer saw what was going on, suggested there were more appropriate places, and sent us on our way.

Kinda killed the mood, though
Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
So...not to be a buzzkill or anything because this is all very riveting but...just how illegal is it for consenting adults to have sex in a car that is not parked discreetly at a private residence? (so many qualifiers!)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Sex in a car is OK, unless it is moving.
No problem, as long as you're not the driver. The motion adds to the sensation.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
So...not to be a buzzkill or anything because this is all very riveting but...just how illegal is it for consenting adults to have sex in a car that is not parked discreetly at a private residence? (so many qualifiers!)
Out of morbid curiousity (that's my story and I am sticking to it) I asked some carny friends about this issue. After all their trucks or cars are usually the most private places available when on the road. It was their experience that getting arrested usually hinged on the matter of "public indecency." If the police could see naked flesh, particularly bare bottoms bobbing in a window, seemed to bring out their wrath, they were likely to make an arrest and the charges would stick. However what can't be seen or easily heard, was usually ignored. They would block the windshields and back windows with cardboard and put towels over the windows and a little discretion went a long way.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
I saw a news story about 10 years ago about a couple who were having sex in their home with the blinds open. A neighborhood kid filmed it and the kid's parents ended up finding out. The couple was arrested and charged with indecent exposure.

I don't see sex in a car as any different, unless you can do it without exposing your genitals.

You're not invisible inside your car
No matter what stupid sort of mission you're on
Well, you're not invisible inside your car
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 AM
Dinner/movie: $40
Car registry: $100
Insurance: $200

Finding a spot that cops don't patrol and neighbors can't see: Priceless.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM
It would probably depend on the when and the where. My girlfriend and me got caught when we were twenty somethings. The cop was pretty cool about it, he had my girlfriend get out of the car and walk back to the patrol car with him. His purpose was to seperate us and make sure that it was consensual, after making sure that was the case he told us there were probably better places to "stop and liten to the radio," than this spot and left.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
Dinner/movie: $40
Car registry: $100
Insurance: $200

Finding a spot that cops don't patrol and neighbors can't see: Priceless.
Meh, what's the point if neighbours can't see ?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Meh, what's the point if neighbours can't see ?
It's not the neighbors, it's her parents that counts.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedIdiot View Post
I saw a news story about 10 years ago about a couple who were having sex in their home with the blinds open. A neighborhood kid filmed it and the kid's parents ended up finding out. The couple was arrested and charged with indecent exposure.
Reminds me of the story where a woman called the cops and said her neighbors were exposing themselves in the next apartment building and she could see them from hers.

The cop looked out the window and said, "I don't see anything."

"Stand on this chair, you can see them much better."
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
I was busted as a teenager in So. Cal. and it was more funny than anything. My girlfriend and I were very busy fogging up with windows of my pickup truck when we were very rudely interrupted. The windows were completely fogged over I had to roll down the window to see the officer.

The deputy said some folks had reported a suspicious car and we'd better 'move along now'. We drove somewhere else and started all over again.

Aaahhh youth.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Dear Abbie, Dear Abbie
I wouldn't've thought

that me and my girfriend
would ever get caught

we were sittin' in the back seat
just a shootin' the breeze

with her hair up in curlers
and her pants to her knees

signed,
just married
Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Oops, John Prine credit.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
It's okay in NY as long as long as no one is likely see you.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-12-..._1_court-rules