Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,232
The Big Bang Theory February 7, 2013: The Spoiler Alert Segmentation

"We droppin' science, son!"

Not sure how I feel about the fleeting glimpses of Mrs. Wolowitz. On the one hand I feel like we may finally get to see her someday (although I read somewhere that either Lorre or Prady said she will never be seen); on the other hand I feel like the incessant little hints at her face will become hackneyed, like Wilson on Home Improvement.

FWIW, the Walking Dead spoiler was a spoiler for me!
#2
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Yeah, was this the first episode we saw ANYTHING of Mrs. Wolowitz? I can't remember even seeing a blurry kaftan breeze by a doorway before last night, let alone two arms in clear focus.

And, while Leonard was kind of out of line just assuming that he could move in with Penny, Penny needs to figure out what's going on in that relationship. The whole ambivalence/I love him/I don't love him/I want to be with him/I don't want to be with him blahblahblah thing needs to get at least to the point where she manages to sustain one of those emotional states for a couple of episodes, maybe. It's starting to look like an accelerated version of Ross and Rachel.
#3
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 7,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
FWIW, the Walking Dead spoiler was a spoiler for me!
Me, too! I haven't started watching that show yet, but it's on my list (though I'm sure I'll forget all about it by the time I get to that episode). I was really surprised when they did that with something so recent.
#4
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Yeah, was this the first episode we saw ANYTHING of Mrs. Wolowitz? I can't remember even seeing a blurry kaftan breeze by a doorway before last night, let alone two arms in clear focus.
You could see her in the aerial shot of Howard and Bernadette's wedding.
#5
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clinton County, MI USA
Posts: 664
I dearly love this show so it's with sadness that with last week's episode and last night's, I've begun to see signs of Fonzie putting on his waterskis. Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard are particularly crueler this season than they've been in the past and it really bothers me as I've really enjoyed the underlying fondness they've all had for each other. It seems like that's gone. It also felt like the writers threw in a scene with Howard and Bernadette as a token gesture or something. It wasn't funny and felt totally out of place.

Then again I was crabby last night so I could be entirely wrong. I frequently am.
#6
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 36,258
Did not like seeing even that much of Mrs. Wolowitz (she should remain unseen forever), wondered if anybody would say "WTF!" over the Walking Dead spoiler since that really was both major and relatively recent, and at the same time thought it ridiculous that even if Leonard somehow had avoided reading or watching Harry Potter that he wouldn't know by now that Dumbledore dies (it was on tee shirts and a meme for a year). And for somebody who once couldn't lie at all, Sheldon has gotten remarkably adept in that skill, and to all that add that they've done the "Leonard says to hell with being roommates and Sheldon flips" plot before, this was just a tweak.

All in all a post-shark episode.

Last edited by Sampiro; 02-08-2013 at 12:57 PM.
#7
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,913
Interesting episode. Not typical. Poor Raj. As if his life was not bad enough already. More signs that Sheldon has an actual emotional relationship with Amy, and a somewhat normal one at that.
#8
Old 02-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
even if Leonard somehow had avoided reading or watching Harry Potter that he wouldn't know by now that Dumbledore dies (it was on tee shirts and a meme for a year).
I thought Sheldon said "Dobby dies in Book 7", not Dumbledore.
#9
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
I thought Sheldon said "Dobby dies in Book 7", not Dumbledore.
The show opened with Sheldon spoiling the fact that Dumbledore dies in Book 6. The Dobby spoiler was later.
#10
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
The show opened with Sheldon spoiling the fact that Dumbledore dies in Book 6. The Dobby spoiler was later.
Ah, okay. I came in on the tail end of the cold open.

Last edited by jayjay; 02-08-2013 at 01:12 PM.
#11
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveroptic View Post
I dearly love this show so it's with sadness that with last week's episode and last night's, I've begun to see signs of Fonzie putting on his waterskis.
I completely disagree. Last night's episode was comparatively weak, but last week's episode had me and Mrs. Homie in stitches. When Penny said "So Sheldon when are you and Amy going to sleep together," and did it so deadpan, Mrs. Homie about fell out of her chair! And Kaley totally deserves a Best Actress nod for that scene alone.
#12
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Interesting episode. Not typical. Poor Raj. As if his life was not bad enough already. More signs that Sheldon has an actual emotional relationship with Amy, and a somewhat normal one at that.


I just hope that they don't make them too normal of a couple. That would spoil the fun!
#13
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clinton County, MI USA
Posts: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
I completely disagree. Last night's episode was comparatively weak, but last week's episode had me and Mrs. Homie in stitches. When Penny said "So Sheldon when are you and Amy going to sleep together," and did it so deadpan, Mrs. Homie about fell out of her chair! And Kaley totally deserves a Best Actress nod for that scene alone.

Actually, I enjoyed that part of last week's episode. But the rest of it fell like a pat of butter from the ceiling of a junior high school cafeteria.

Last edited by Fiveroptic; 02-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.
#14
Old 02-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12,056
will Raj become Mrs. Wolowitz's surrogate son? will he like it?

will Raj do a Howard on Stuart and make him Mrs. Wolowitz's surrogate son?
#15
Old 02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveroptic View Post
I dearly love this show so it's with sadness that with last week's episode and last night's, I've begun to see signs of Fonzie putting on his waterskis. Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard are particularly crueler this season than they've been in the past and it really bothers me as I've really enjoyed the underlying fondness they've all had for each other. It seems like that's gone. It also felt like the writers threw in a scene with Howard and Bernadette as a token gesture or something. It wasn't funny and felt totally out of place.

Then again I was crabby last night so I could be entirely wrong. I frequently am.
The Howard and Bernadette scene felt like fanservice - seems we're seeing a lot of Melissa Rauch in skimpy clothing this season. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you....
#16
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,049
I think Penny is being very consistent. She has commitment issues and Leonard is a pushy man. It was something very similar to this that broke them up in the first place. He goes too fast for her. She loves him and doesn't want to break up with him like the last time, so she went along instead of resisting like the last time.

Was this whole episode about getting Amy to move in next door? That would be much more convenient for storytelling. Is Penny's apartment the same as the guys in that there are two bedrooms?
#17
Old 02-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Is Penny's apartment the same as the guys in that there are two bedrooms?
Unlike the guys' apartment, Penny's seems to be totally inconsistent as far as layout and the actual physical plan of the building goes. Unless the building is really weirdly shaped. Her bedroom extends back into where the stairwell is, for one thing. And there MAY be another bedroom somewhere back there, but we never see it or the door to it.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure where the bathroom in her apartment is. I mean, we've seen her go in and out of it from her bedroom, but I can't think of where it would FIT. It seems like it should either be hanging off the wall of the building or extending back into the elevator shaft.

The guys' apartment, OTOH, doesn't seem very out-of-plan. The bedrooms appear to extend out from what should be the building wall, judging by where the living room window is. But that's kind of it. And that closet upstage in the living room is POSSIBLE without somehow sticking out of the building, but I'm not sure.
#18
Old 02-08-2013, 03:32 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 13,701
Don't get too caught up on the layout; it's a set designed to work w/ a 3 camera setup and a live studio audience. What works best for that takes priority over any architectural logic or reality. That being said I'm pretty sure Penny's apartment has consistantly been a one bedroom; not that would stop Amy. I think it's more likely for Amy to scoop up a vacant apartment in the building. She'd probally do it without telling anyone until after the fact too. Have they ever clarified if there are only 2 apartments per floor, or if there are more down the hall in direction of the 4th wall?
__________________
No Gods, No Masters
#19
Old 02-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: rhode island
Posts: 37,913
One episode had a neighbor who had heard Penny and Leonard going at it.
#20
Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
They should never show Mrs Wallowitz for the same reason we never saw Charlie Brown's little red-haired girl: each one of us can imagine her better than she could ever be in real life. Also, like Maris in Frasier, there's probably no woman in the world who has the same attributes that have been ascribed to her character.

On the other hand, the walls in the hallway outside the Wallowitzes' bathroom are covered with what only can be family photographs, and there are some that seem to show the Mister and Missus together. That might be how she looked 30 years ago, and we can extrapolate from that how she must look today.
#21
Old 02-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Make that Wolowitz, with one "L."

I've been chastised!
#22
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,084
This is purportedly a layout of the two apartments. (Not the filming sets but what they are supposed to represent in real life.) Does it fit with what we've seen?
#23
Old 02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
One episode had a neighbor who had heard Penny and Leonard going at it.
She was Leonard's downstairs neighbor, and they've got hardwood floors in the bedrooms at Sheldon and Leonard's place.
#24
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
This is purportedly a layout of the two apartments. (Not the filming sets but what they are supposed to represent in real life.) Does it fit with what we've seen?
Thinking back over some episodes, there are some anomalies*. But GENERALLY, it looks right.

*In "The Cooper-Nowitzki Theorem", Sheldon taps on the wall directly behind Leonard's bed in Morse code, but that layout would require him to stand in his closet and somehow reach out through an outside wall to do so. And in "The Spaghetti Catalyst", after Penny brings Sheldon home from Disneyland, the tag has Penny and Leonard looking into Sheldon's bedroom where he's sleeping, and IIRC the room layout is like Leonard's, with the bed perpendicular to the door.
#25
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I think Penny is being very consistent. She has commitment issues and Leonard is a pushy man. It was something very similar to this that broke them up in the first place. He goes too fast for her. She loves him and doesn't want to break up with him like the last time, so she went along instead of resisting like the last time.

Was this whole episode about getting Amy to move in next door? That would be much more convenient for storytelling. Is Penny's apartment the same as the guys in that there are two bedrooms?


Yeah, Leonard is indeed pushy, needy, and whiny. I still like the character -- those traits can be useful for comedic situations, and they help establish his "nerd-dom" when it comes to romantic relationships -- but it would be nice if he could "dial them back" a bit.
#26
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
This is purportedly a layout of the two apartments. (Not the filming sets but what they are supposed to represent in real life.) Does it fit with what we've seen?


Hey, that's neat! Thanks for the layout.
#27
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
And in "The Spaghetti Catalyst", after Penny brings Sheldon home from Disneyland, the tag has Penny and Leonard looking into Sheldon's bedroom where he's sleeping, and IIRC the room layout is like Leonard's, with the bed perpendicular to the door.
Just checked. They're standing in the doorway facing the foot of his bed. Which also fits with Sheldon's rules of sleeping: It's culturally universal. A bed, even a temporary bed, is always oriented with the headboard away from the door. It serves the ancient imperative of protecting oneself against marauders.
#28
Old 02-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
Just checked. They're standing in the doorway facing the foot of his bed. Which also fits with Sheldon's rules of sleeping: It's culturally universal. A bed, even a temporary bed, is always oriented with the headboard away from the door. It serves the ancient imperative of protecting oneself against marauders.
Thanks. I wasn't sure I was remembering that right, and apparently I wasn't.
#29
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 5,253
Damnit Sheldon! I haven't started watching Season 3 yet! Couldn't the writers have spoiled something in an earlier season of TWD instead of the current one?
#30
Old 02-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,341
An episode of Community once spoiled the movie Catfish for me the day after I got it from Netflix.
#31
Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,637
I really liked this episode, I laughed consistently throughout. Amy was especially fantastic, I thought.
#32
Old 02-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by standingwave View Post
This is purportedly a layout of the two apartments. (Not the filming sets but what they are supposed to represent in real life.)
How on Earth can Penny afford an apartment like that by waitressing at the Cheesecake Factory?!?

Last edited by terentii; 02-09-2013 at 03:40 AM.
#33
Old 02-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right here
Posts: 18,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
How on Earth can Penny afford an apartment like that by waitressing at the Cheesecake Factory?!?
Apparently she can't. Not and eat or pay any other bill consistently. That's why she's always mooching off of the guys.
#34
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Where the wild roses grow
Posts: 23,637
It'd be good if Penny got a small acting job. Such as, for example, off the top of my head, pulling an idea out of the air, as a genie in a car commercial.
#35
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 21,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
It'd be good if Penny got a small acting job. Such as, for example, off the top of my head, pulling an idea out of the air, as a genie in a car commercial.
Perhaps as William Shatner's daughter in those priceline.com ads. The guys would be green with envy.

Which gave me an idea for an episode, actually. Have some famous actor (James Caan*, for example) at the college for a while. Say that he's studying them as preparation to play the role of a physicist in a movie. This would turn the tables on the usual formula; Penny would be geeking out over wanting to meet him, but to the guys it would be no big deal.


* Wouldn't really work with James Caan, though. Sheldon would be pestering him about the rules for Rollerball.
#36
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 AM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 16,034
Agree that this is another weak episode. When the best part is the Raj/Mrs. Wolowitz subplot, the main story really sucks.

Also agree about the inconsistency. Leonard would have known about Dumbledore, would have already watched TWD, etc. He would also not have been impulsive about telling Penny he's moving in. This is Leonard. He would spend months agonizing about it, annoying the daylights out of everyone (but Penny).

Does Leonard look very different here? Weird greasy looking haircut and the t-shirt was fairly tight fitting like he was trying to show off his "muscles".

The overgrown cast shows itself again in the small screen time for Howard and barely any for Bernadette.
#37
Old 02-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 13,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Apparently she can't. Not and eat or pay any other bill consistently. That's why she's always mooching off of the guys.
I think her parents are helping her out too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
It'd be good if Penny got a small acting job. Such as, for example, off the top of my head, pulling an idea out of the air, as a genie in a car commercial.
I was thinking a super cheesy SyFy original movie that ends up getting turning into a series. It would be filled with as many scifi cliches as possible. Penny of course would be thrilled and treat it super seriously no matter how bad it is, Amy would form a fan club, Leonard somehow ends up as a technical consulant, and all the the bad science & plots make Sheldon hate it more than Bablylon 5.
#38
Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 15,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
I think her parents are helping her out too.
Yeah. I don't think they've ever said it outright, but it's been implied a few times.
#39
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Apparently she can't. Not and eat or pay any other bill consistently. That's why she's always mooching off of the guys.
Of course other bills will slide when you need to keep a roof over your head. But the money she saves scrounging a few meals a week is going to cover the rent on that place? I don't think so. I should live in such a nice apartment! She must make a helluva lot in undeclared tips just to keep going.

She also seems to drink an awful lot. I'd probably end up an alcoholic too, if I could afford it.

Also, she lent her old boyfriend $1800, which he got around to returning only when he wanted to hook up with her again. How the hell did she afford that?

Shoes? Let's not even go there.

She lived with her boyfriend (Kurt?) for four years before finally walking out on him; the last six, she's been living across from Sheldon and Leonard. Her family's been "helping" her for the last ten years while she struggles to get bit parts and commercial gigs in Hollywood? HA! Your typical Great Midwestern American family would have told her to pack it in and come home long ago, just before they cut her off financially.

What does her dad do for a living? (More to the point, what is there to do in Nebraska other than farm and/or rake in government subsidies?) Again, I should have such a family (but I gave up on that a long time ago).

Last edited by terentii; 02-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.
#40
Old 02-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Does Leonard look very different here? Weird greasy looking haircut and the t-shirt was fairly tight fitting like he was trying to show off his "muscles".
Probably has something to do with coming back from the mid-season hiatus. Maybe he spent a few weeks bodybuilding or surfing in Hawaii....
#41
Old 02-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveroptic View Post
Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard are particularly crueler this season than they've been in the past and it really bothers me as I've really enjoyed the underlying fondness they've all had for each other. It seems like that's gone.
What's truly amazing is that it's taken six years for them to get to this point (longer, for just Sheldon and Leonard). I mean, how long would you put up with neighbors/roommates like that?
#42
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: the Keystone State
Posts: 13,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
What's truly amazing is that it's taken six years for them to get to this point (longer, for just Sheldon and Leonard). I mean, how long would you put up with neighbors/roommates like that?
Remember that Leonard's mother is basically a female version of Sheldon. Arguablly she's even worse than Sheldon, and Leonard still isn't able to stand up to her. If Leonard's moving past passive-aggression to actual aggression with Sheldon hopefully we'll get to see him finally call his mother out on her behavior and what a horrible mother she is. Of course all Beverly would do is comment on how fascinating his breakdown is & try to get him to reenact it under a brain scanner. It'd be even funnier if Mary Cooper was there to watch.
#43
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
ftg ftg is offline
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 16,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
What's truly amazing is that it's taken six years for them to get to this point (longer, for just Sheldon and Leonard). I mean, how long would you put up with neighbors/roommates like that?
Some people are doormats. Leonard, Howard and to some extent Raj are doormats. But Leonard is the uber-doormat on the show. His mother seriously screwed him up.

These are not normal people. They don't behave normally. A show full of normal people isn't going to work.

Personal economics on TV are typically screwed up. Penny is clearly living well beyond her means ( la most of the Friends), while the guys are apparently not being paid anywhere near a normal salary. (Sheldon's finances are mixed on the show. He has to take in Leonard as a roommate. But it doesn't cash his paychecks. Not sure how that all works.)

BTW, I like the proposal of Penny getting a job on an SF TV show. Leonard vs. her fan base would be an interesting conflict.
#44
Old 02-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Viburnum, MO
Posts: 9,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Personal economics on TV are typically screwed up. Penny is clearly living well beyond her means ( la most of the Friends), while the guys are apparently not being paid anywhere near a normal salary. (Sheldon's finances are mixed on the show. He has to take in Leonard as a roommate. But it doesn't cash his paychecks. Not sure how that all works.)
Howard has complained of being all but poverty-stricken as well. Truth be told, I imagine career scientists at CalTech aren't doing too badly.
#45
Old 02-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
They should never show Mrs Wallowitz for the same reason we never saw Charlie Brown's little red-haired girl: each one of us can imagine her better than she could ever be in real life.
So I guess we will get to see Mrs. Walowitz then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...CBnHeather.jpg
#46
Old 02-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
So I guess we will get to see Mrs. Walowitz then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...CBnHeather.jpg
Schulz obviously didn't draw her, and he said that he never would. Like most of the Star Trek crap that's been floating on the surface for so many years, this "Heather" is non-canon.

(For a long time, I thought Schulz had broken his promise and that Peggy Jean was the little red-haired girl, which is certainly more the way I imagined her. This "Heather," so far as I'm concerned, is a huge disappointment.)

Peggy Jean: http://c0389161.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...52107.full.gif

Last edited by terentii; 02-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.
#47
Old 02-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 36,167
Peggy Jean's the one who always called him "Brownie Charles", right?
#48
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Peggy Jean's the one who always called him "Brownie Charles", right?
Yes.

http://gocomics.com/peanuts/1999/07/11/
#49
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 25,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Personal economics on TV are typically screwed up. Penny is clearly living well beyond her means ( la most of the Friends), while the guys are apparently not being paid anywhere near a normal salary. (Sheldon's finances are mixed on the show. He has to take in Leonard as a roommate. But it doesn't cash his paychecks. Not sure how that all works.)
Regarding Penny's finances, I'm willing to assume that either her parents are subsidizing her or she has a trust fund from a grandmother or other relative. In other words, most of her expenses are taken care of. As for Sheldon and Leonard, I assume that they don't need the roommate for financial reasons, but for friendship. I imagine that their jobs pay something like 100K per year. (BTW, do they just do research, or do they also teach classes? Because I'm trying to imagine undergrads in Sheldon Cooper's classroom and it's not a pretty picture.)
#50
Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Moscow/Toronto
Posts: 14,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
As for Sheldon and Leonard, I assume that they don't need the roommate for financial reasons, but for friendship. I imagine that their jobs pay something like 100K per year. (BTW, do they just do research, or do they also teach classes? Because I'm trying to imagine undergrads in Sheldon Cooper's classroom and it's not a pretty picture.)
Sheldon has been called upon to teach at least once, and it was predictably a disaster (a lot of the students posted videos of his class on YouTube). Leonard has given at least one lecture that was okay, and Sheldon (again predictably) ruined the end of it.

I think it's pretty clear their primary function at the university is to do research and serve as status symbols. They just don't relate to students.

Leonard has said on at least one occasion that he lives with Sheldon because he loves the apartment and it's (relatively, I'd assume) cheap. None of the guys seem to be hurting for money.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: man small hands indirect descendant masturbating while breastfeeding lisa kelley inside my gpc pieces of vinyl 12pm means define ursine cappellini noodles daystrom reddit hot hob rubber game origin duck feet name milk flavored candy hospital jello nicotine patch walgreens walgreen refill ink rotor turning colonoscopy jokes lobster insect no purchase daggerfall naked gymnast cameltoe gary deeb japan abortion bats at dusk 2 channel speakers falling coconuts freedom cabbage steam cleaning engine spoon tick i give hope to man gary fisher utopia hybrid john ritter cock fight blue christmas lights meaning i suck at world of warships amazon package shipped to wrong address grunting on the toilet strings and sealing wax polish terms of endearment expired saline nasal spray logitech non unifying receiver software how long can alcohol stay in a flask dog ate raw ground beef the world is a book and those how many shots of jack daniels to get drunk how to use styptic pencil dmv vision test cheat remove ivy from brick how long before tires dry rot when was asbestos banned in vinyl flooring unlimited miles car rental enterprise friday night lights gracie bell body part starting with i how to get a cat out of a tree microwave inverter technology explained what does sookie sookie now mean i am sick to my stomach eyelash stuck in eye for days drinking whole bottle of nyquil see a man about a horse origin five string bass tuning