View Poll Results: Is it a little weird for a male to call female friends "buddy"?
Yes, a little weird (I am a male) 41 42.71%
Yes, a little weird (I am a female) 14 14.58%
No, not at all weird (I am a male) 25 26.04%
No, not at all weird (I am a female) 16 16.67%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Males calling female friends "buddy"?

At work the other day I was telling a female co-worker about my new apartment, and mentioned that a "buddy" had come over to see it and thought it was a nice place, etc. She smirked and said "Was it a girl buddy?", to which I responded "No, a dude. I don't think I've ever called a girl "buddy" before... that sounds a little weird." She was really surprised by that, along with another female co-worker. They asked what I call female friends in that case, and I said I just called them "friends".

The next day out of curiosity I asked a male friend if he ever called female friends "buddy", and he responded almost exactly how I had the day before at work ("No that just sounds weird, I just call female friends "friends"...")

Opinions? It's a very unimportant topic, but I'm now curious to see what a larger group of people think..

Last edited by AlaskanMatt; 02-09-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I think it is slightly weird. I don't really think of girls as "buddies". Obviously, it is not that weird, but it sounds rather unusual and awkward to me.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Charter Member
My former running partner was a woman and very much a buddy.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM
A woman can be a buddy just like a man. It may not be the typical relationship I have with women, but a couple of women I've known have been buddies.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Where I work, long ago, we had a guy in Sales who would call certain female coworkers "Buddy" from day one. It came off as kind of odd, and we joked about it behind his back. Some people liked him, but others (like me) thought he came off as a smarmy asshole. He was certainly trying to create a sense of familiarity that did not really exist. He ended up getting fired for some shady business practices, so there you go.

Perhaps if a guy called me "Buddy" and meant it, it would be a different story.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Charter Member
"Buddy" is a very specific type of relationship to me -- situationally close, but not deep or intense. Like a work buddy. And yes, there have been women whom I've thought of as buddies.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 PM
BANNED
LISTEN UP BUDDY, nobody uses the word buddy in a nice way anymore, do they?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
I don't know, it's probably a little bit weird. I call a couple male friends my buddies, but I don't think they refer to me the same way. If I hear a dude say "buddy" I definitely think male.

If you add "drinking" or "fuck" before it though, then it works a little more.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM
BANNED
It's fine. "Buddy" isn't really a word in my vocabulary, but "pal," "chum," "sister [female equivalent of "bro" or "brother]," "kiddo," "champ," "killer," and especially "dude" or "man!" -- those are all used for chick friends or acquaintances.

I might not have the brainpower to really think too carefully when just bullshitting or killing time talking with a friend or even a new-found friend at a bus stop or street corner. ETA that goes for "Work Friends" as well -- not in a professional setting, but having lunch together or a drink after work or a cigarette break. Seems fine to me.

[/Equal Opportunity Doper]

Last edited by jack tardiff; 02-09-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 PM
BANNED
Oh. Those are for addressing those pals directly. In third person, probably just say pal or friend. Maybe "homie" I've used a number of times. Chick if the sex/gender is important to the story (aka gossip) being told, I suppose.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 AM
I've hung out with some women who called everyone dude, including the other women.They got called dude in return from men. But I've never called a woman buddy before.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Unusual, yes. Weird, no.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:23 PM
It's not super common to call female friends buddy, but a buddy can refer to a friend or partner of either sex. When school children pair up using the "buddy system" they're not all guys.

I have a female friend I sometimes call "pal." Why should these terms be exclusively male?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Female here. I think the term "buddy" is weird. So, yeah, I think it's weird to hear girls called buddy. I think it's weird to hear guys called buddy. For me, though, it's even stranger to hear kids called bud or buddy. I don't know why - maybe because you're encouraged to call them by their names when they're babies or something. But it sounds wrong.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:46 PM
Never really thought about it, but I think "male" when I hear the word buddy. Maybe because it's the long form of "bud." I'm not sure. I would likely be a little confused if I heard someone refer to a woman as a buddy, and hilarity might ensue until it's clarified. Though I certainly wouldn't be offended or anything like that if a guy called me his buddy - actually, I think it would make me feel secure about not having to worry he would ever try to fuck me.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Only time I refer to a woman as a buddy is in the context of "an old Navy buddy."
Old 02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
If anyone ever called me buddy, I'd shout, "I'm not your buddy, guy!" If he didn't immediately shout, "I'm not your guy, fwend!" then he has no business thinking of me as his friend or buddy. Because we're not.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:27 PM
The "fuck" is silent...
Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
I generally don't call anyone buddy, male or female. When I think of the term buddy, it has a different feel than friend. In general, it's a much more casual type of relationship where you're a buddy with someone for a narrow scope, like a drinking-buddy, a workout-buddy. Once you start hanging out with a drinking-buddy in other contexts, you're not just friends. This is also why you can have fuck buddies but you never hear about fuck friends, because that's better known as a girlfriend/boyfriend.

That all said, it does still seem weird to think of a woman as a buddy, but then again, when I think of the sorts of relationships that I would consider calling buddies, they're in contexts where they're predominantly male activities, but even considering that, I do have a few so-called work-buddies or concert-buddies that are women, no workout-buddies that are though. Even still, I don't actually call any of them buddy or really think of them as such, they just are who they are.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:03 PM
She's not your buddy, guy!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
It's a tiny bit weird. Having said that, I have a female friend, and we call each other buddy all the time. She's more than a friend but not a girlfriend.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
The word "buddy" is weird in all contexts. Applied to women is just a case in point.

I call my female friends "girl-conspicuous-space-friends" or "girlfriends without benefits".
Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Panda View Post
She's not your buddy, guy!
She's not your guy, friend.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
She's not your guy, friend.
She's not your friend, buddy.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
A little weird, but only a little.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
The "fuck" is silent...
I have a co-worker who refers to a male friend of hers as her "buddy," and for the life of me, this is always the impression it leaves me with, like she's just abbreviating.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Buddy? Why not?
I've heard (on more than one occasion) a teenage girl referring to another teenage girl as "Dude!"
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Not weird in that context. The implication she perceived was that you were trying to hide the gender of your buddy. It's also not weird as direct address, as a clear way to indicate you aren't romantically/sexually interested in the person, like calling her "one of the guys" or "dude."