Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Are Lifesavers going extinct?

Maybe I'm late to the party on this and maybe it's just something limited to where I live but it seems Lifesavers are disappearing from candy shelves in convenience stores, supermarkets, drug stores, and gas stations. It used to be that you could go nearly anywhere and find rolls of various Lifesaver flavors for sale. Now, while you still find gum, breath mints, and Tic Tacs, Lifesavers are mostly conspiculously absent and if you do find any, they're the Big Lifesaver bags--not exactly the best size for a pocket.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Charter Member
I have. I haven't seen a roll of LifeSavers in I don't know how long. Even when I find the bags, just about the only flavors I see are the mints. The website still features the iconic five flavor roll, however, so I guess they're still being made.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
I think the trend is for most stores to push them individually wrapped in big bags now, but if you still want rolls, Amazon to the rescue!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The website still features the iconic five flavor roll, however, so I guess they're still being made.
The classic Five Flavor roll was torpedoed some ten years ago, when they inexplicably eliminated all the citrus flavors. [Pit thread on the topic.] I understand that they have subsequently brought back orange, but too little too late. I haven't purchased a roll since then.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
I have. I haven't seen a roll of LifeSavers in I don't know how long. Even when I find the bags, just about the only flavors I see are the mints. The website still features the iconic five flavor roll, however, so I guess they're still being made.
Even the classic mint trio (PepOMint, SpearOMint, and WintOGreen) is getting near impossible to find in roll form. Just today, I bought the last two SpearOMint LifeSaver rolls at a nearby gas station/convenience store. There won't be any more sold there since they're being discontinued along with the PepOMint and WintOGreen. The classic five fruit flavor assortment is still being sold but for how I long I don't know.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Wife was jonesing for a roll of Clove Life Savers last week to settle her stomach. I had to break the news to her that, as she had buying buying them thirty-five years ago they stopped making them in 1981. I tried to find a substitute at our favorite Italian/Mexican/Greek/Polish grocery store they had nothing like that. I guess all the Italian/Mexican/Greek/Polish grandmothers who bought clove candies died. We may have to go online.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
I was just at a Michael's craft store and saw rolls of Lifesavers shelved on their "Retro candy" display, along with Mallow Cups and Chick-o-Sticks. This is a sad day.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
I noticed this too. Every one in a while I just need a roll of CristOmints. And don't even dare tell me they're discontinuing WintOgreen! They can't take away my parlor tricks.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Why oh why did they discontinue the choco-mints. Loved them!! Anyone else remember them?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
And what about Certs? Are they still available in stores? A quick search tells me that they are available online, but I cannot remember the last time I saw them.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
I noticed this too. Every one in a while I just need a roll of CristOmints. And don't even dare tell me they're discontinuing WintOgreen! They can't take away my parlor tricks.
From what I was told, the WintOGreen rolls were no longer going to be sold at the gas station/convenience store where I bought the last SpearOMints. However, WintoOGreen and the other LifeSaver mints were still going to be available in the large bags.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Charter Member
They're still popular here in Australia. I see them all the time. But then, we do have musk flavour.

It seems in Australia they are owned by Nestlé, not Wrigley's.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 AM
LifeSavers dying?! Quick! Throw them a themself!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
I've noticed them being harder to find, but not disappearing. I can still get rolls of Lifesavers at candy and convemnience stores, but they're not as prominent as they once were, and not all flavors are available (I sometimes have to get Pep-O-Mint instead of Wint-O-Green).

But I still don't have a problem finding them at airports, for instance.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Remember the lifesaver books? They were actually boxes that held several rolls of lifesavers. I used to buy them for my cousins' birthdays.

Last edited by aceplace57; 03-20-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Charter Member
We've got plenty on the racks at the cash registers in my store. Stop by any time.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Remember the lifesaver books? They were actually boxes that held several rolls of lifesavers. I used to buy them for my cousins' birthdays.
Those were a Christmas staple when I was a kid. Santa always left one for me and my sisters in our stockings.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:45 AM
My favorite was always Butter Rum. They were hard to find when I was a kid, and never see them now.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Plenty of Five Flavor Lifesaver rolls up here in NE Ohio, didn't know they were scarce elsewhere!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeDubU2 View Post
My favorite was always Butter Rum. They were hard to find when I was a kid, and never see them now.
Me too and I have a roll in my pocket right now. And I am somewhat happy to see you.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Mmm... Butter Rum...

I'm just quaking in fear, dreading the day I see a thread titled "Whatever happened to Necco Wafers?" I've seen them at two stores lately, so I think we're safe for now...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Why oh why did they discontinue the choco-mints. Loved them!! Anyone else remember them?
Yeah, those were good.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Quote:
They still make them, albeit in a wider, roughly 3/4" size, and individually wrapped. One of the women here at work had a bunch in a bowl after Halloween, and I walked by, shrieked "Butter Rum Lifesavers!" and grabbed a bunch and ran off.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I have a roll of Life Savers in my pocket.... and pineapple is next.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
We've got plenty on the racks at the cash registers in my store. Stop by any time.
Sure thing, just tell me which store!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Charter Member
I gave up on Lifesavers when they changed the lineup of the Tropical Fruits Roll.
The current lineup is Fruit Punch, Pina Colada, Mango Melon, Tangerine, Banana

I'm trying to remember the original lineup - I think it was
Pineapple, Coconut, Melon, Tangerine and ??? Possibly banana.

I loved the Coconut one. Pina Colada is just not sufficient.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ducca View Post
I don't know why, but this post makes me smile.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
SDSAB
I see them pretty often here in NE Ohio. No panic in the streets just yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorgirl View Post
I'm trying to remember the original lineup - I think it was
Pineapple, Coconut, Melon, Tangerine and ??? Possibly banana.
That's right: pineapple, coconut, mango melon, tangerine, and banana. I haven't seen this myself, but judging by the timeline in kunilou's link, they've ditched tangerine and brought back pineapple, kept pina colada, and renamed the assortment Hawaiian Fruits--at least in the bagged version.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Elephant Whisperer
Quote:
Is that a roll of Lifesavers in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I hadn't thought about Lifesavers for years. I didn't even think to go looking for them last year in the US, but I did look at the candy shelves to see what was what, and I don't think I saw any. A shame if they really do disappear.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
It seems in Australia they are owned by Nestlé, not Wrigley's.
And, even Wrigley is a relatively recent owner; Kraft used to own the brand, and sold it off to Wrigley a few years ago, when Kraft decided to get out of the candy business. (And, Wrigley, itself, is now owned by Mars.)

Nestle almost undoubtedly makes and markets the brand in Australia under license from Wrigley / Mars.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachertorte View Post
I don't know why, but this post makes me smile.
It's one of Mitch Hedberg's classic jokes. It's such an anti-joke, and so mundane, that it still makes me laugh every time.

The pineapple flavor is not one of most people's favorites, so having it next is like a loaded gun in your pocket.

Last edited by GrandWino; 03-20-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Me too and I have a roll in my pocket right now. And I am somewhat happy to see you.

I also agree with your username. So there's that.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Quote:
The pineapple flavor is not one of most people's favorites, so having it next is like a loaded gun in your pocket.
I *love* the pineapple flavor. I would take a roll of just pineapple and cherry.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Yep, one of my uncles used to give my sister and me those for Christmas when we were kids, with a $10 bill tucked inside. I think I saw them at Menard's of all places this past Christmas.

I like the Butter Rum and Wild Cherry the best.

Last edited by Dr. Girlfriend; 03-20-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:57 PM
I miss the Lifesaver swirled lollipops! They had two flavors swirled together, like orange and cream, or cherry and banana. I loved those. The Creme Savers are not as good.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:08 PM
Quote:
I also agree with your username. So there's that.
Yes. It, like lifesavers, is so utterly delicious that it's evil. And because its so expensive, its even more evil because I cannot afford to eat it every day. Well, that and I'd clock in at about tree-fiddy after 6 months on a diet of foie gras.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I miss the Lifesaver swirled lollipops! They had two flavors swirled together, like orange and cream, or cherry and banana. I loved those. The Creme Savers are not as good.
Those things were so good. I loved the Blueberry & Cream one the best.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Luna View Post
I *love* the pineapple flavor. I would take a roll of just pineapple and cherry.
For me, it would be tangerine, wild cherry and grapefruit. The first two do come in the five flavor bags of sugar free, but alas, the yummy, yummy grapefruit only come (and I'm thinking at least 10 years ago) in the fancy fruit roll of sugar sweetened.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobunny View Post
And don't even dare tell me they're discontinuing WintOgreen! They can't take away my parlor tricks.
Ira Flatow got me addicted to All Things Considered with that trick. It was sciencey and stupid--what was there not to love?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post

Preach it. The original five flavor ones are good, but Butter Rum is divine.

And available from Amazon in a 20-pack. You're welcome. Although order with caution; the comments say that these could be old. But does it matter? Does hard candy go bad?

Last edited by Snickers; 03-21-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I haven't seen them at checkouts in a long time, but I just saw huge packages of five-flavor rolls at Sam's Club. As other posters have observed, they ain't the same five flavors they used to be.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM
I NEED Butter Rum! I have not been able to find them lately.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM
At an educated guess, they've been pushed aside by the legions of other breath-minty candy things. There is nothing so precious as a foot of grocery story shelf, and if tastes have turned away from grandpa's pocket candies to New Kewl Hipster Breath-Blaster Beads in "Cosmos" flavor... that explains it.

But yeah, I'd knock down a grandma to get to some Butter Rums, myself.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
... New Kewl Hipster Breath-Blaster Beads in "Cosmos" flavor...
Those things are so tasty!
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Those things are so tasty!
Of course they are. They're half sugar, half salt, half preservatives and half market-tested artificial flavorings. Utterly and literally irresistable. Truly, a wonder of food science.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
Yep, one of my uncles used to give my sister and me those for Christmas when we were kids, with a $10 bill tucked inside. I think I saw them at Menard's of all places this past Christmas.

I like the Butter Rum and Wild Cherry the best.
The books are not the same - they are only half-full now. Bastids!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPress View Post
At an educated guess, they've been pushed aside by the legions of other breath-minty candy things. There is nothing so precious as a foot of grocery story shelf, and if tastes have turned away from grandpa's pocket candies to New Kewl Hipster Breath-Blaster Beads in "Cosmos" flavor... that explains it.

But yeah, I'd knock down a grandma to get to some Butter Rums, myself.
That reminds me, is there some switch in your head that automatically goes off when you turn 65 and makes you like Butter Rum Lifesavers, Werther's Butterscotches, pink wintergreen drops, black licorice, and other "old man candies"? I swear my father had little to no interest in those candies until he hit his 60s. After that, he couldn't get enough of them.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
That reminds me, is there some switch in your head that automatically goes off when you turn 65 and makes you like Butter Rum Lifesavers, Werther's Butterscotches, pink wintergreen drops, black licorice, and other "old man candies"? I swear my father had little to no interest in those candies until he hit his 60s. After that, he couldn't get enough of them.
Well, I'll let you know when I get there. I've always liked Butter Rum, licorice and good butterscotch candies, and my dad had a roll of pink wintergreens with him at all times, much younger than 65. Maybe it's a generational thing we're misperceiving. There are almost certainly a lot of marketing issues involved; the stuff that's popular now didn't exist a few years ago, and the turnover in that market is much faster.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Oh how I loved Clove lifesavers. Any truth to the rumor this flavor is still available in Canada?