Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Sooo..I visit the chamber of my DiL and she likes it...

I bought Crusader Kings 2 saturday and Im enjoying it.

However, its a bit jarring to get a random event in game that has me screwing my 20 year old daughter in law and she is apparently loving it...her approval of me went way up. Its also about the only action thus far in the first four years of game time. Yet the game looks fun.

Last edited by madsircool; 03-20-2013 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
I get a message that my son has sired an heir...only to get a further message.."Oops" its really mine. The 11th century TMZ is gonna have a field day with this.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:33 AM
My gay ruler had seven sons, when he was 70 he nailed his great grand sons wife and finally fulfilled his lifelong dream of having a daughter. Worst homo ever.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
My gay ruler had seven sons, when he was 70 he nailed his great grand sons wife and finally fulfilled his lifelong dream of having a daughter. Worst homo ever.
Certain duties come with being a king, including sex with the queen. And the princess.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I admit that I laughed but the game is a bit too close to embracing rape for my taste. I wont stop playing but I kinda wish I could go into the code and delete this special event.

Last edited by madsircool; 03-20-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM
This game is definitely on my list - I'll probably grab it the next time Steam has it on sale.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
I admit that I laughed but the game is a bit too close to embracing rape for my taste. I wont stop playing but I kinda wish I could go into the code and delete this special event.
All of the events are moddable, so you can. Find your CK2 directory, then go into the "events" subdirectory. It looks like the file you want is "birth_events.txt". I think you can just freely delete the events you don't want, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that you can change the events so they never fire though.

Warning: I strongly recommend that you step through the actual creation of a mod. Barring that, copy over all of the CK2 files into a new directory and modify that. Otherwise, when the game updates it will overwrite your work. If you use Steam, it will update automatically.

It's great that you're having fun. The Paradox grand strategy games have an extremely steep learning curve, but are terribly addicting. I'm really looking forward to Europa Universalis 4 this fall.

Edited to add: Check out the CK2 wiki for more information on events files. My guess is that the event sequence will never fire if you add "is_triggered_only = yes" as a line to the original event.

Last edited by President Johnny Gentle; 03-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
This game is definitely on my list - I'll probably grab it the next time Steam has it on sale.
Also watch Gamersgate; I bought it with some of the DLC for $13 over the last weekend.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by President Johnny Gentle View Post
All of the events are moddable, so you can. Find your CK2 directory, then go into the "events" subdirectory. It looks like the file you want is "birth_events.txt". I think you can just freely delete the events you don't want, but I'm not 100% sure. I do know that you can change the events so they never fire though.

Warning: I strongly recommend that you step through the actual creation of a mod. Barring that, copy over all of the CK2 files into a new directory and modify that. Otherwise, when the game updates it will overwrite your work. If you use Steam, it will update automatically.

It's great that you're having fun. The Paradox grand strategy games have an extremely steep learning curve, but are terribly addicting. I'm really looking forward to Europa Universalis 4 this fall.

Edited to add: Check out the CK2 wiki for more information on events files. My guess is that the event sequence will never fire if you add "is_triggered_only = yes" as a line to the original event.
Tnank you PJG..I appreciate the very helpful advice.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 PM
I do want to moan over the fact that I have to purchase a DLC to play a Muslim realm. This is cynical profiteering IMO.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
I do want to moan over the fact that I have to purchase a DLC to play a Muslim realm. This is cynical profiteering IMO.
That's silly. It took them some times to develop it properly, and the Muslims have entire rules-sets tailored to their gameplay. Its not just an arbitrary "You can now pick these guys". Paradox actively expanded the gameplay for the mod, as they have for each mod. And on top of that, they actively upgraded the core gameplay as well so you get many of the benefits of continued development even if you *don't* buy the mod.

I mean, this is almost anti-profiteering. They give things away until you buy something out of appreciation.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
That's silly. It took them some times to develop it properly, and the Muslims have entire rules-sets tailored to their gameplay. Its not just an arbitrary "You can now pick these guys". Paradox actively expanded the gameplay for the mod, as they have for each mod. And on top of that, they actively upgraded the core gameplay as well so you get many of the benefits of continued development even if you *don't* buy the mod.

I mean, this is almost anti-profiteering. They give things away until you buy something out of appreciation.
Right. The only benefits of the DLC that people who own only the core game don't have are: the ability to play as Islamic rulers, a merchant ruler, or (in the next DLC) a pagan ruler. And I suppose that you also won't see the Aztecs invade Europe either. I waited until Amazon had a great sale on the entire package of DLC before I purchased any of it. They had the core game, CK1, and all DLC for $10. If history is any guide, Steam and Amazon should be having a Spring sale in a week or two, and the package will likely be on sale again.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM
If any of you guys happen to notice one of these awesome CK2 sales go up, I'd appreciate a PM or even just an update in this thread. I'll be looking out. Thanks!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm intrigued by this. As someone new to this type of game, would you recommend reading strategy guides first, or just jumping in? It sounds like exactly the kind of game I would love, but I'm a little worried about all the commentary/reviews talking about the "extremely steep learning curve."
Old 03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
The Paradox grand strategy games don't have a learning curve so much as a learning cliff. Once you climb the cliff though, they're extremely engaging games. I'd recommend watching some Let's Plays - that's how I picked up the game. For CKII watch:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks! Pretty sure I'm definitely going to have to get this.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 PM
Make sure to wait for a sale, like Johnny Bravo. I got my copy of CKII as a package from Amazon along with all the available DLC at the time (including Sword of Islam) along with Victoria II, Magicka, and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember, all for $20. If I remember, I'll post a note here when there's a sale going on.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Will do. I added it to my wishlist on Steam, so I should get a notification if it goes on sale. MrWhatsit has also expressed interest (I showed him a PC Gamer review/demo and he is intrigued).
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Amazon has the best sales on Paradox stuff. Ridiculously large bundles for $12 or $15 or so depending on which pack you pick.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:54 AM
I promised to post back here if there were ever a sale of CKII, and here it is! The Amazon Crusader Kings Pack includes the original Crusader Kings as well as Crusader Kings II and ALL available DLC - Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome, Sunset Invasion, The Republic, the Ruler Designer and the various song and portrait packs - all for $15. Ridiculously good value. The only downside is that you might get tired pasting each of the keys into Steam.

Last edited by Terminus Est; 05-17-2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: speling
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM
You're a beautiful man! I've been waiting for this.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Quote:
You're a beautiful man! I've been waiting for this.
I look forward to your tales of conquest and treachery.

Please note that the "Sunset Invasion" DLC is a kind of fantasy setting, where Aztecs invade the west like Mongols invade the east. For your first playthough, you really shouldn't play with it. I haven't picked it up myself since I'm not interested in ahistorical settings. Fortunately, the game launcher lets you specify which DLC to load with the game; just turn it off and you're good to go!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Charter Member
"Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be available again."

Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM
I'm currently just watching through videos because holy shit is this game complicated.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
I'm currently just watching through videos because holy shit is this game complicated.
A-yup.

But really fun.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 AM
So I decided to start as an earl rather than as a king in the hopes of getting a slightly better handle on things. At the suggestion of the CK2 wiki I picked the Earl of Dublin, since he starts with an elderly father who shortly dies off, and you get his stuff.

Anyway, it seems that my guy decided that among the things that he inherited from Daddy was his second wife, because just a year or so after daddy kicked off, I'm schtupping her on the side.

The thing that I'm having the biggest problem with right now is succession. I keep forgetting that if I give my heir his own lands (to stave off the gavelkind stuff), he becomes completely autonomous, which means that I can't arrange marriages for him and his own kids.

What's weird is that on one playthrough I managed to change the succession laws to primogeniture, but when I finally got succeeded, it was back to gavelkind.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM
I bought it awhile ago because a deep political game set in midieval Europe is in my wheelhouse. I just can't get over the fact it's not turn based. I know I can stop it any time I want, but it just isn't the same thing.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo
The thing that I'm having the biggest problem with right now is succession. I keep forgetting that if I give my heir his own lands (to stave off the gavelkind stuff), he becomes completely autonomous, which means that I can't arrange marriages for him and his own kids.
This is almost the only thing about the game which really, really annoys me. Handing out lands to your children is practically required for a lot of play styles, but your kids suddenly become morons if you do, choosing incredibly bad marriages among other things (although I'm also fond of the odd idiots who decide to rebel against their own elderly father with three drunk swordsmen and a part-time archer). This is also one of the things which really doesn't make sense in either the game context or the social/historical one. It wasn't (and still isn't) unusual to give titles to children before they took power. But that would never involve them getting a wife on their own.

Aside from which, I can imagine a lot of cool events to flow from that. What if you're holding off a couple years to try and marry your 25-y.o. son to the 14-y.o. future heiress of some rich province... but then he comes up and says he's had enough and is marrying the daughter of some other lord? Or if he just does it? Heck, what if you're at war with said lord? Will could instantly block off one alliance and suddenly give you on you hadn't planned on?

Quote:
What's weird is that on one playthrough I managed to change the succession laws to primogeniture, but when I finally got succeeded, it was back to gavelkind.
Check your laws screenb and make sure you changed it for the correct realm. If you have more than one, some of the laws may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitnam View Post
I bought it awhile ago because a deep political game set in midieval Europe is in my wheelhouse. I just can't get over the fact it's not turn based. I know I can stop it any time I want, but it just isn't the same thing.
Actually, you can set it to auto-pause every day, which instantly makes it turn-based. That's extremely slow play, so not many want to do it.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Forgot to explain: Your realms in this case would be any simultaneous "top level" political body you control. If your highest title is King, you have may different succession laws in every kingdom you own, whether it's two or two dozen.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM
You should be able to arrange a betrothal for your heir before giving them a title. The marriage will still take effect even after they've taken a title.

As for succession, I believe there's an issue when you create a higher level title de novo - the new title is created with gavelkind succession by default. For example, as Duke of Bohemia I had already gotten up to elective succession. I then created the Kingdom of Bohemia, which hadn't existed previously; the kingdom reverted to gavelkind succession. (This may actually be the intended design.)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiling bandit View Post
Actually, you can set it to auto-pause every day, which instantly makes it turn-based. That's extremely slow play, so not many want to do it.
Yeah, it's just a game design structure I'm comfortable with, you could pause a movie at the end of every minute also because essentially that's what this feels like to me. There's lots going on so turns help me organize it in my head.

It's a shame too, because I know I'm missing out on a good game.

Last edited by Sitnam; 05-20-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM
The beauty of the game is that it tracks individual days over a 400-year period. Actual dates matter for things like birthdays, events, council assignments and so on. All of that detail precludes an actual turn-based setup.

I agree that it takes some getting used to, but it sure is nice being able to just ramp up to 5x speed and let a year or two go by while you're waiting on some long-term stuff to pan out.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
What game is it most similar to?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
"Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be available again."

All the individual components are still deeply discounted, so you can get the whole pack on the cheap, you just have to go buy and purchase them one by one.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
The beauty of the game is that it tracks individual days over a 400-year period. Actual dates matter for things like birthdays, events, council assignments and so on. All of that detail precludes an actual turn-based setup.
The problem with that is that I couldn't help trying to get relatives all over the place. Daughters only married men willing to give up their family name, I attracted people to my court just to marry them out to extremely remote cousins so they wouldn't die childless, etc... After maybe 150 years like that, I was tracking an uncountable number of relatives all over the place in a gigantic genealogic tree, and it was becoming tedious.

By the way, I noticed some problems with male primogeniture. Sometimes, when inheritance is passed to second cousins or such, it's not the guy who should inherit according to this system who does, and I never could find the rationale the computer was following in these cases, so I assumed it was some sort of bug.

Apart from that, yes it's a great game, with a steep learning curve like all paradox games. And I don't like beginning as a king, or duke, etc...I like to begin small and carve my way up. Much more satisfying.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
One thing which really annoyed me was that I couldn't figure out how (or even if it's possible) to set notes and calender-stops for myself. Their are often points where I want to take a particular action on a particular date, but it's really easy to let that slip and have a year or two pass before I realize it.

Any tips?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I saw somewhere that there's a way to set which events create autopauses and which don't, but I haven't seen any way to set custom stops. Maybe there's a mod for that.

clairobscur, I'm also finding it much more entertaining so far to start as a small fry and work up.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
You can set the game to pause on certain notifications, e.g., if a castle has been besieged or when you've won a battle, but there's no way to get it to pause on an arbitrary date.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
This is again available from Amazon. I am looking forward to playing it soon.

Should I start with Crusader Kings or skip to Crusader Kings II?

Last edited by TexCat; 05-22-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I've never played the original game. Just go ahead and jump right to CKII.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
You can set the game to pause on certain notifications, e.g., if a castle has been besieged or when you've won a battle, but there's no way to get it to pause on an arbitrary date.
Yup. For me, the one big issue is that I want the game to auto-pause when certain family events happen - like a child in my family lineage hits 16. Haven't been able to figure that one out.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 PM
So, the pack I bought came with all of the DLC. Should I start with all the DLC installed, or start with the base game and then install the DLC later?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Install them all - the game comes with a launcher that lets you specify which DLC (or third party mod) you want to run with the game. The song packs and faces are strictly cosmetic - they make no difference to gameplay. The major DLC that change the game are:

Sword of Islam - play as a Muslim Ruler
Legacy of Rome - additional decisions and events for the Byzantine Empire
Sunset Invasion - Aztecs invade the west!
The Republic - play as a non-noble ruler of a merchant republic

As I stated before, I recommend turning off Sunset Invasion since that's an ahistorical fantasy setting. Coming up is The Old Gods DLC, which pushes back the start date to the 800's AD and lets you play as a pagan Viking or Zoroastrian.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Oh, rad. Thanks! I spent tonight mostly installing/entering Steam keys (urgh) and looking at some tutorials. I watched some of the Let's Play videos linked earlier, and I also ran across this series of posts on Reddit, which seems pretty good: http://reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza..._implications/
Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 PM
I read that same guide, but from the Paradox forums. It's worth going through the somewhat arcane registration process to get access to the official forums:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forum.php
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 PM
http://pcgamer.com/2013/05/23/cr...ame=0&ns_fee=0

Evidently, Paradox overhauled the tech system entirely for the new expansion (you get this free even without buying Old Gods). Instead of setting a focus and waiting (a very long time), you earn points for your stats assuming you're a Duke, King, or Emperor. These then pay to buy techs outright.

...nice!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:15 AM
The CKII tech system is probably one of the most impenetrable aspects of the game. I'll admit to being one of those "set it and forget it" types. The new system will be a huge improvement.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Charter Member
Whoa, whoa, whoa ... sex in a video game? Can someone back up a bit and tell me what this is all about and how I can get involved?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa ... sex in a video game? Can someone back up a bit and tell me what this is all about and how I can get involved?
Sorry, it's all described by semi-random, and triggered events via text. Nothing too salacious. At the risk of pedantry:

In the game, you control one character from your family lineage at a time (usually the eldest or most important), with the goal of growing your family lands and power. Not surprisingly, you'll want to ensure you have kids. Preferably a lot of them, because it's a violent time and families can indeed die out for lack of heirs, though cousins and such can make up the difference. And while you do get to decide most events in some fashion, you have limited options and your character may have a moment of weakness and do something foolish.

Anyway, to get back to the point, the thread started out with madsircool's character, who evidently decided his son's crumpet was a bit too tart for such a young lad to properly savor... so the old man went a bit TMI. And then his daughter-in-law gave birth to his bastard child instead of his grandchild. Thats... going to be a bit awkward. In-game, he'll have boosted his relationship value with the Daughter-in-Law, drastically pissed off his son, possibily to thepoint of facing murder attempts, gotten a new heir, and maybe humiliated himself internationally depending on the views of various important figures.

You can get the entire package for 15 bucks. And you'd be suprised by much fun the "Lusty" trait can get. Two young people with that one will be popping out heirs so fast you'll have to get your own zip code. And if male, there's a pretty good chance you'll end up with about fifteen bastard children with some claim on your titles.

I'm curious what options the new expansion will have as far as conversion. In the existing game, converting your kingdom is difficult and rather implausible, as you have to arrange an heir of a different faith and then convert your entire state, while also facing internal unrest and external hostility. But the time-frame of Old Gods suggests more flexible options that way. It would be interesting to conquer Hispania as the Moors, convert to Christianity, and then turn around spreading the faih back along the coastline, or conquering the Middle East and converting it to your own Zoroastrianism.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Started my first game tonight. I was playing as the Duke of...crap, I can't even remember. Some duchy in the middle of England. He started with Leicester, I know that much.

Anyway, two main problems so far. One, I started out with too many holdings in my demesne. (I had 7/3.) I tried to give some away, but every time I tried to give away a barony or city, I got the message, "you can only create barons in minor owned baronies." I thought I did own that barony. So that was confusing. I was able to give away landed titles to other vassals, though, so that did bring my demesne total down. I don't really understand why I wasn't able to give away titles to the minor holdings like cities, though. I am clearly missing some aspect of gameplay here.

The other problem is that by 1072, the Norwegians had invaded and occupied half of my territory and were gunning for the rest. (Well, "trebuchet-ing" for the rest.) I'm not really sure what to do about this. I'm probably just going to start a new game tomorrow and try not to play as stupidly this time.

While this post seems complainy, I am actually loving this game and can tell it is going to suck up all of my free time for the foreseeable future. I spent 20 minutes just picking a wife. (I went with a lusty Danish 16-year-old with a sharp intellect and a taste for intrigue, because honestly, who wouldn't?)