Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Anyone use Diatomaceous Earth for Bed Bugs?

http://amazon.com/Earth-Diatomac...rth+food+grade

I read about this while researching and saw this on amazon. Many ppl who have bed bugs said diatomaceous earth works for it but some say it doesn't. Those reviews that say it works for bed bugs also are amazon verified purchase... which means its legit right?

This seems to be very cheap $16 for it and lot of good reviews. People mention how bug spray didn't do anything yet this worked for them. Can people here give me their opinion?

1. Also, is it easy/hard to apply? One person mentioned you need to buy this to apply it

2. http://amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A269N201SWOEB6

Is this necessary or not? I seen some ppl mention you could just use a spoon and im confused what is the purpose of this.

3. So basically if i have bed bugs that bite me when i sleep on my bed at night, then just take a spoon and pour this surrounding my bed? Some ppl mention put it on each of the 4 legs on your bed... however... i dont have that The thing that supports my mattress is a box so how would i do this?
People say it looks like flour so i just put this around my bed? Do i put this under my mattress or anywhere near there?Basically its like flour and i just put it everywhere in that i suspect it has bedbugs?

4. Also, how long does one leave these things there for before you clean it up? Do you clean it up once ever week or month and then pour more?

5. Also, i heard ppl mention you could just pour it everywhere and then go to bed etc. So this doesn't affect your smelling health at all?

I already bought bug spray and people say it doesn't work. I also purchased a new mattress protector and pillow cover as well that i should be receiving sometime to help.

I'm curious if anyone knows much about diatomaceous earth for bed bugs?
Old 05-18-2013, 11:43 PM
Well, I can tell you that it DE doesn't work by poisoning them or anything like that. The silica in the diatom shells scratches the cuticle of the insect, which exposes them to dehydration and they basically dry up and die.

I haven't actually used it for bedbugs (never had an infestation (knock on wood)), so I can't say if it works for them or not.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Charter Member
I've never had to try it myself (joining jayjay in knocking wood), but I can tell you that it while it should kill any bugs that crawl through it, it won't keep all bedbugs out of your bed. Bedbugs can crawl across the ceiling and drop down when they sense a warm body below--DE on the floor won't prevent that.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:03 AM
geez, sorry you have to deal with this. I heard BB are nearly impossible to get rid off.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 AM
http://epa.gov/bedbugs/#chemical

From the EPA
Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Bedbugs are notoriously hard to get rid of, and many of the efforts that people make to treat them actually make the problem worse. I have been in commercial sales in the pest control industry for several years, and have seen a lot of bed bug infestations. The sprays that people buy over the counter are usually contact-kill repellents, which means that any bugs actually hit by the spray will die, but any that are nearby will scatter throughout the facility. Bed bugs don't live only in beds; the entire home needs to be inspected and probably treated. At least surrounding rooms to the room with the infestation need to be treated to prevent the bugs from retreating there and continuing to multiply, eventually spreading back to the original source area. Generally, I wouldn't recommend trying to treat them on your own, but calling in a professional. Bedbugs are migratory by nature (the reason is kinda gross, but if you really want to know, Google "traumatic insemination"), so they will spread even without encouragement.

Bedbugs are good at hiding in every crack and crevice in a room. That's the reason for the duster to apply the DE (or whatever other product you use, if it's a dust-type formulation). Treatment needs to be very, very thorough, as two bugs left standing may start to reproduce and within 90 days, the problem will be back. The product needs to be applied into every crack and crevice in the room, including electrical outlets, around moldings, etc. Amateurs generally are not thorough enough and thus fail to get more than temporary relief. Mattresses and bedding need to be inspected by someone who knows what he's doing and it may be necessary to replace them, wrapping them securely in plastic before moving them so as not to spread any resident bugs to other parts of the structure. If you're in an apartment, you need to involve the landlord, so that neighboring units can also be inspected and treated for prevention - otherwise bugs may go there to escape the treatment and then eventually find their way back to you.

Bottom line: if you can possibly afford it, call a professional.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Actually there is no solution of all this, these bed bugs are really irritating i never like them near me. The only solution of all this is a proper and regular cleaning with this you can get rid of all these pest.

Last edited by DylanMcKean; 09-20-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM
I think I speak for everyone when I say, "huh"?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Due to the bedbug plague, I have sworn never to bring home thrift store garments again. Which is a shame, because some of my very favorite pieces of clothing have come from thrift stores. Now I have to go back to paying full price, which ticks me off (ha!).

And don't even think about bringing home second-hand furniture.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanMcKean View Post
Actually there is no solution of all this, these bed bugs are really irritating i never like them near me. The only solution of all this is a proper and regular cleaning with this you can get rid of all these pest.
Wrong. Bedbugs are not attracted to dirt or grime, and no amount of cleaning will prevent or treat an infestation.

I keep reading people saying that some of the things folks try to get rid of the bugs make the problem worse. Then they say you have to use multiple approaches, but never which ones to use. Which strategies make it worse, and how? Which ones are most effective? Most cost effective?
Old 09-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
.... Bedbugs can crawl across the ceiling and drop down when they sense a warm body below--DE on the floor won't prevent that.
They have to get off the bed also.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM
I read on a travel message board that most hotels have taken to using extreme heat to treat bed bug problems, as this was most effective in killing them and being thorough in getting in all their hiding places.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
In winter when it hits 20 to 40 here, a simple solution it seems to me would be to turn off the water and heat, turn on the taps to drain the water, open the windows and grab a motel room for a day or two.

The buggers couldn't survive that.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenm View Post
In winter when it hits 20 to 40 here, a simple solution it seems to me would be to turn off the water and heat, turn on the taps to drain the water, open the windows and grab a motel room for a day or two.

The buggers couldn't survive that.
Yes, they can.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 AM
OK. A week, then. Or even two.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:41 PM
Diatomaceous Earth vs. CimeXa

We originally used Diatomaceous Earth but ended up switching to CimeXa after DE failed to get them all. Basically, as other have mentioned here, DE will cause them to go into hiding to avoid the powder, and it is ineffective if they do not physically walk over it (it must adhere to their waxy cuticle.

In the end, we bought CimeXa (~$12) and a bulb duster (~$8) and dusted a thorough dusting in cracks and crevices, around the bedframe etc. It worked much better than the DE had. Here are some instructions on how to use it.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Reported.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 PM
It might depend on when in the bug's life cycle you apply it. DE works by cutting up the insect's body. So any bug that walks on legs won't be affected unless you can apply the DE directly to them. Otherwise DE works best on the larval stage of the insect because the larva would crawl around in it.

Some DE comes with added pyrethrins, that is a chemical poison that is derived from some species of plants. But, pyrethrins will kill beneficial bugs as well as bad ones, and it comes from flowers that must be picked by hand. Most if not all pyrethrins are produced in 2nd and 3rd world countries and the flowers are picked by women and children who suffer health problems because they are exposed too much.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henga View Post

Some DE comes with added pyrethrins, that is a chemical poison that is derived from some species of plants. But, pyrethrins will kill beneficial bugs as well as bad ones, and it comes from flowers that must be picked by hand. Most if not all pyrethrins are produced in 2nd and 3rd world countries and the flowers are picked by women and children who suffer health problems because they are exposed too much.
I think I'd like a reputable citation or two on the hand picked pyrethrins comments. I don't believe most commercial pyrethrins actually come from the plant anymore. I don't believe they are hand picked flowers, I don't believe there are health problems from the supposed hand picking of flowers. Pyrethrin is notoriously nontoxic to humans, being one of the few insecticides allowed for use in food establishments
Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
I think I'd like a reputable citation or two on the hand picked pyrethrins comments. I don't believe most commercial pyrethrins actually come from the plant anymore. I don't believe they are hand picked flowers, I don't believe there are health problems from the supposed hand picking of flowers. Pyrethrin is notoriously nontoxic to humans, being one of the few insecticides allowed for use in food establishments
http://fao.org/prods/gap/databas..._PYRETHRUM.HTM

ILEIA Newsletter Vol. 13 No. 4 p. 22
Natural insecticide pyrethrum
Rik Thijssen
Pyrethrum is a perennial herb with white-yellow flowers that grows to a height of about 60cm. In Kenya it is grown by more than 100,000 small-scale farmers at altitudes between 1500m and 3000m. Pyrethrins are concentrated in the flowers to a level of 1 to 2 percent of dry weight. Pyrethrin content is larger at higher altitudes. The pyrethrum plant is propagated by seeds or vegetatively by splitting parent plants.
The first flower picking takes place about 4 months after planting seedlings or splits, and thereafter at intervals of 2-3 weeks during flowering, a period which, in Kenya, extends over 9-10 months of the year. The flowers are picked by hand, usually by women and children, and a skilful picker can harvest up to 25kg of fresh flowers per day. The harvesting of flowers is labour intensive, and this has resulted in a decrease in cultivation in some parts of the world.
Wikipedia documents the potential health hazards of pyrethrin exposure.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Charter Member
I have a couple of comments about your citation:
1. This looks to be for the "Natural insecticide pyrethrum" not the 'synthetic' versions found more ubiquitously for purchase. I suspect the natural pyrethrum is used in 'natural' products and for organic farmers.
2. Pyrethrins are extremely safe for mammals (except cats), and any health issues are primarily due to excessive exposure. The flower pickers are not exposed to the levels that cause problems.
3.From your cite, it looks like this resource is highly valued by the farmers and not viewed on as a detriment to their health and economy. There is no mention of harm due to exposure to the flowers.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM
I think the only real solution is to kill them with heat (best to have a pro seal your house and heat the hell out of it) and then have them check their work with dogs.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:17 PM
Bed bugs cannot stand heat above 50 C. The easiest way to kill them is to get the temperature in your house to 50 C. There are professional companies that do this by sealing your home and raising the temp by introducing hot air. A multitude of thermometers ensure that every nook and cranny is at the right temp. This is maintained for 36 hours. The critters are fried.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
Bed bugs cannot stand heat above 50 C. The easiest way to kill them is to get the temperature in your house to 50 C. There are professional companies that do this by sealing your home and raising the temp by introducing hot air. A multitude of thermometers ensure that every nook and cranny is at the right temp. This is maintained for 36 hours. The critters are fried.
Heat does work better than cold, yes. You can kill the bugs by placing a pillow, bedding, luggage, etc outside on a hot day in a black plastic bag.

For a one room infestation, you can use no-pest strips & diatomaceous earth. Wash everything you can in hot water and use the hot setting on the dryer.

I suggest getting a no-pest strip or two, placing them in the garage, and always putting luggage there when you come home from any hotel trip.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigene View Post
The flower pickers are not exposed to the levels that cause problems.
How so? How would being exposed to the flowers all day, every day during the harvest not lead to excessive exposure?

Quote:
3.From your cite, it looks like this resource is highly valued by the farmers and not viewed on as a detriment to their health and economy. There is no mention of harm due to exposure to the flowers.
I was documenting how the flowers are picked by hand. The health problems is something I read about in a gardening book 10-15 years ago. I have had a vegetable garden almost every year since 1981, so I can't remember this one particular book.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
How so? How would being exposed to the flowers all day, every day during the harvest not lead to excessive exposure?
Its about concentration as well as length of time of exposure. I just don't see any evidence in your one citation that demonstrates these workers are exposed to the chemical in enough concentration to lead to excessive exposure. I'm willing to admit they are if there is some good data to back it up.

The main point however was referring to the synthetic permethrins that you typically purchase as an insecticide. Your reference to the flower pickers does not account for the synthetic permethrins used. The flower pickers and their health is not relevant to these synthetic chemicals...its a different source and a different (set of) chemicals. They are not harmed by these synthetic chemicals in this way because they are not exposed to them when picking the flowers.

Quote:
I was documenting how the flowers are picked by hand. The health problems is something I read about in a gardening book 10-15 years ago. I have had a vegetable garden almost every year since 1981, so I can't remember this one particular book.
I'm sure there are health problems associated with permethrins for those people that are exposed to them in above normal conditions (i.e. industrial chemical spills). I'm also still convinced that 'normal' exposure in the garden, or on bedding, or as a lice shampoo does not pose a significant health issue. I pose as well that soaking clothes in 11% permethrin is actually safer and more healthy for some individuals than not.....Lymes disease and the required chemical treatment (doxycycline) to combat it is MUCH worse than exposure to Permethrin (just as one example).
Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Some DE comes with added pyrethrins, that is a chemical poison that is derived from some species of plants. But, pyrethrins will kill beneficial bugs as well as bad ones,
That's OK. I don't want beneficial bugs crawling around my house, either.
Quote:
and it comes from flowers that must be picked by hand. Most if not all pyrethrins are produced in 2nd and 3rd world countries and the flowers are picked by women and children who suffer health problems because they are exposed too much.
That's a tougher one. I hear that unemployment leads to starvation which also leads to health problems. Are those problems better or worse than the exposure problems? I really don't know. What alternatives do we offer these workers? Sure, shutting down the pyrethrin fields might be an easy thing to do, but then what? Do we just leave the workers to fend for themselves?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
That's OK. I don't want beneficial bugs crawling around my house, either. That's a tougher one. I hear that unemployment leads to starvation which also leads to health problems. Are those problems better or worse than the exposure problems? I really don't know. What alternatives do we offer these workers? Sure, shutting down the pyrethrin fields might be an easy thing to do, but then what? Do we just leave the workers to fend for themselves?
My main concern is that things get labeled as organic or all natural and this gives the average American consumer the idea that this makes them automatically a good thing. Most Americans aren't educated enough and won't bother to educate themselves enough to not fall for such marketing ploys. Marketing ploys drive profits and the profit motive encourages big business to take advantage of people who seldom have any choice but be taken advantage of.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
My main concern is that things get labeled as organic or all natural and this gives the average American consumer the idea that this makes them automatically a good thing. Most Americans aren't educated enough and won't bother to educate themselves enough to not fall for such marketing ploys. Marketing ploys drive profits and the profit motive encourages big business to take advantage of people who seldom have any choice but be taken advantage of.
I absolutely agree here.
I'm also concerned that things that are "chemical" are automatically viewed as a "bad" thing. I concur that most Americans aren't educated enough and won't bother to educate themselves enough to not fall for the concept that "chemicals" are automatically evil and inherently harmful.