Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Could this mouse have been rabid?

I caught a mouse in my apartment the other day, and what was odd was how easy it was to catch him. Normally they're very skittish creatures, but this little guy walked right up to me and stood up on my foot. He stayed in one place while I got a box, I put a cookie in it, then walked him to a park. He didn't want to get out of the box, so I dumped him out with his cookie and said goodbye.

Was this a tame mouse who recognized me? My building is being renovated and the workers have left holes in the walls that are letting creatures in. I've seen some (or maybe it's the same mouse) mice out of the corner of my eye, and mice that seem to be looking at me, but they run as soon as I acknowledge them.

My mom told me the mouse could have been sick though, possibly with rabies, which seems more likely. I don't know about rabies specifically, but something was definitely off about his behavior. I didn't touch him at all and he didn't try to bite or act aggressive.

The mouse holes are being plugged up by the contractor ASAP, because I don't want to be potentially exposed to rabid mice.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Definitely not normal behavior, for a mouse.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Charter Member
From the CDC: http://cdc.gov/rabiesandkids/animals.html

Quote:
It would be really unusual for rats, mice, squirrels, or groundhogs to get rabies, but it does happen.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Here's a picture of him in his box: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

He looks a little bald on his back, but I don't know if that's normal or not.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM
If he was sick with rabies he would not be able to swallow food. Very few rodents get rabies for some reason. Behavior is not all that unusual I had a little mouse on my last job that used to join me for lunch at my desk each day. Maybe one of the other tenants had been feeding him.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Hmm, not being able to swallow food didn't occur to me. I didn't see him eat the cookie. But he was definitely interested in it. Maybe he didn't eat it because he was scared and a rabid animal may not have been interested in it. I looked at the CDC link and feel a little better, although there are feral cats in my neighborhood which maybe could spread rabies. I've never seen a cat acting rabid however.

Perhaps he was a tame mouse. Now I feel a bit sad about abandoning him in a park.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 AM
It was probably infected with Toxoplasmosis. Toxoplasmosis infection has been shown to change behavior of mice and rats.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineZeta View Post
Now I feel a bit sad about abandoning him in a park.
Hmmm. This sounds so familiar....
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Charter Member
Mr. Jingles?

StG
Old 06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Blucher View Post
Unfortunately I was not able to equip him with a little outfit or a suitcase. I hope I didn't send a naked Stuart Little to his death. But I suppose if he had some sort of illness or parasite he would have died anyway. And with any luck he'll learn how to survive in the wild.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
According to our discussion with Animal Control after an incident with a squirrel, not only is it extremely rare for rodents to acquire rabies, it is almost impossible that an animal as small as a mouse would survive the initial attack.

So, extremely unlikely that your mouse was rabid.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
If you suspect he had toxoplasmosis and you're pregnant you might want to call your doc.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM
mice can vary in how they behave.

i've watched wild mice feed on food residue inches away from me.

they may have no fear because humans are not frequent and known not to be fast enough to dangerous.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Could have been Stuart Little's crackhead cousin.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
looking at the way his back legs are positioned out to the sides(not underneath him), I vote for sick/injured.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Here's a picture of him in his box: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

He looks a little bald on his back, but I don't know if that's normal or not.
That is not a regular house mouse that is normally found in human dwellings, for one thing the tail is much too long.

It is some sort of wild mouse that belongs outside. You may have been the only human it has encountered so it was not afraid of you.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
I know nothing about mice, but I do know the times we have rescued abandoned young squirrels (just slightly too young to be on their own) they have come right up to us and looked at us like "help me I can't find my mommy". They seem to reach a point where natural fear of humans is overridden by the fear of being alone, or of dying of starvation.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I know nothing about mice, but I do know the times we have rescued abandoned young squirrels (just slightly too young to be on their own) they have come right up to us and looked at us like "help me I can't find my mommy". They seem to reach a point where natural fear of humans is overridden by the fear of being alone, or of dying of starvation.
Awww, those poor squirrels. I'm glad you were able to rescue them.

I'm not pregnant, so I'm not concerned about toxoplasmosis.

I was wondering about the long tail. I found this: Picture of Different Types of Rodents and he appears to be a woodland jumping mouse. That could explain the splayed out feet if he wasn't sick or injured.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Awww, those poor squirrels. I'm glad you were able to rescue them.

I'm not pregnant, so I'm not concerned about toxoplasmosis.

I was wondering about the long tail. I found this: Picture of Different Types of Rodents and he appears to be a woodland jumping mouse. That could explain the splayed out feet if he wasn't sick or injured.

ETA: Maybe not, he does have big feet that would naturally be out to the sides, but not the way he's holding them.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Sorry for the double post. Was trying to edit and double posted instead.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM
You gave a mouse a cookie?

I hope you have pillows, crayons, and a bathtub he can use.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Would you like a little hysteria with your thread?

In my area, I'd worry about plague or hantavirus, especially with a non-house mouse.

Of course, no matter where you live, it would be more reasonable to worry about, say, getting struck by lightning than about getting any serious disease from your little friend.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Unfortunately I was not able to equip him with a little outfit or a suitcase. I hope I didn't send a naked Stuart Little to his death.
Armed with mouse-like optimism, somehow I think he would have managed.
(Still, if you step on an invisible car in your bare feet at 3AM, you'll have no one to blame but yourself.)

Quote:
But I suppose if he had some sort of illness or parasite he would have died anyway.
Well, now I'm picturing him clutching his chest like John Hurt in 'Alien'. Of course, I'm not quite sure what would burst out of a mouse' chest...

SPOILER:
...unless perhaps a stiletto heel from the other side?

Ladies, please don't try this at home, because if you start going around with a mouse impaled on each heel, soon everyone will want one. Two even....

Quote:
And with any luck he'll learn how to survive in the wild.
Well, it is NYC. I dare say you're right....
Old 06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Ah—the classic, time-honored reference text on the operant conditioning of mice…
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Charter Member
Or, he might just have eaten a low dose of rat poison, & it took all the piss & vinegar out of him.