Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM
BANNED
Mister Kitty's Stupid Comics appreciation thread

Fascinating site -- screenshots of covers and pages from old comic books (some of them REALLY old, like, Golden Age) with rich snarky commentary -- if this person ain't a Doper she oughta be. Hours of fun for the whole fan!

Here's a prime examble: Fantomah vs. The Weird Gorillas!

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 06-13-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Oboyoboyoboy! This looks like as much fun as I've had since I found Unca Cheeks! (I'd link to his pages, but they don't appear to have the pictures anymore, and comic books just aren't fun without the pictures.) Thank you!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM
BANNED
This is the sort of thing that makes feminists roll their eyes: Gale Allen and Her Girl Squadron. OK, for the 1940s this stuff is female-empowering, putting girls ("women" hardly seems to apply) right into the heroic action. OTOH, they all wear miniskirts and short tops in outer space at all times for no adequately explained reason, they're helpless until a man happens along, and even on a serious adventure they can't help going all ga-ga over hm.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
I actually remember reading the comic featured in The Legion of Superheroes Dating Do's and Don'ts. It was just as bad as it seems.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Fascinating site -- screenshots of covers and pages from old comic books (some of them REALLY old, like, Golden Age) with rich snarky commentary -- if this person ain't a Doper she oughta be. Hours of fun for the whole fan!

Well, actually.... (blush)... I am one of the Mr Kitty peoples.

Thanks for the compliments! Always glad to see our mission of spreading the gospel of stupid comics is reaching the masses, or teeming millions, as the case may be.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:25 AM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
This is the sort of thing that makes feminists roll their eyes: Gale Allen and Her Girl Squadron. OK, for the 1940s this stuff is female-empowering, putting girls ("women" hardly seems to apply) right into the heroic action. OTOH, they all wear miniskirts and short tops in outer space at all times for no adequately explained reason, they're helpless until a man happens along, and even on a serious adventure they can't help going all ga-ga over hm.
You forgot to mention the high heels. I know that when *I* go adventuring, I make sure that my calves are adequately curved by wearing heels of at least 3", preferably higher. After all, I never know when some hunk of man-meat might wander through my adventure.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I actually remember reading the comic featured in The Legion of Superheroes Dating Do's and Don'ts. It was just as bad as it seems.
Hey, that's where I learned my amazing dating skills!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:33 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavis Topholese View Post
Well, actually.... (blush)... I am one of the Mr Kitty peoples.

Thanks for the compliments! Always glad to see our mission of spreading the gospel of stupid comics is reaching the masses, or teeming millions, as the case may be.
Grateful! Say, you know what your site needs? An index-section for underground comix! There must be some that are stupid! (Not Shelton's or Mavrides' or Spain's, of course, but some.)
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 AM
BANNED
This is one of my faves -- Superboy's dog Krypto and what amounts to the Legion of Superdogs! More here and here! (Silver Age superhero comix are always good for a laugh.)

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 06-14-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Eventually, of course, comic-book artists would figure out that you can work in your fanservice simply by dressing your heroines in skintight outfits just like the male heroes'. (See Most Common Super Power.) That's equality, ain't it?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Grateful! Say, you know what your site needs? An index-section for underground comix! There must be some that are stupid! (Not Shelton's or Mavrides' or Spain's, of course, but some.)

Most of the UG comix we have are pretty good, and when they're bad they tend to lapse into this weird kind of drug-soaked incoherence that's tough to successfully make fun of. However, I think the L.I.F.E Brigade crosses the line into underground territory through sheer force of incoherence, and Areba Koala certainly has two furry feet in the UG camp.

The trouble with finding the really lousy UG comix is that they generally don't tend to wind up in the fifty-cent bins at conventions and comic shops, which is where we find a lot of our material.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:46 PM
BANNED
Quote:
BTW, this oddly idiosyncratic artist, Fletcher Hanks (also the creator of Stardust the Super Wizard), who only worked in comix briefly (1939-1941), has lately acquired a cult following, and his work has been published in two collections: I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! and You Shall Die by Your Own Evil Creation! Ask for them by name! Loudly and shrilly and grasping the clerk's lapels! The former excerpted here.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavis Topholese View Post
Most of the UG comix we have are pretty good, and when they're bad they tend to lapse into this weird kind of drug-soaked incoherence that's tough to successfully make fun of. However, I think the L.I.F.E Brigade crosses the line into underground territory through sheer force of incoherence, and Areba Koala certainly has two furry feet in the UG camp.

The trouble with finding the really lousy UG comix is that they generally don't tend to wind up in the fifty-cent bins at conventions and comic shops, which is where we find a lot of our material.
Well, how about an index-section for old comic-book ads? Sea monkeys, x-ray specs, lotsa material there . . .

Last edited by BrainGlutton; 06-14-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Well, how about an index-section for old comic-book ads? Sea monkeys, x-ray specs, lotsa material there . . .

Wait, I see you've already got this.