Old 06-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Why is country music so widely disliked?

It seems that a lot of people dislike country music. I'm wondering why. You'll often hear people say "I like a lot of music, but not country music."

(I myself am not a big fan of country music, but here I'm just asking why it's so widely disliked. And I'm not insulting people who do like it, or trying to start a country-music-bashing thread. I'm just looking for reasons.)
Old 06-22-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm not an American, but maybe it has something to do with the kind of people usually associated with liking country music - rednecks, hillbillies, bible belters. Even though there are a lot of artists that resist that kind of stereotype (the Dixie Chicks come to mind) that severely dings the cool factor of country music.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM
I think it just depends where you are. Where I live, everyone likes (or at least tolerates) country music.

Frankly, all musical genres have their audiences. I would have to look up record sales and whatnot, but I'd guess that country does alright compared to other genres. I drive all over Indiana, and I can always find at least three country FM stations at any given time.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Actually it may be the most popular music in the world. A lot of Americans don't like the C&W music 'scene' that is perceived to be catering to dumb rednecks and the like. It is a very broad genre that hard to characterize in simple ways. Some people may love the rock&roll end of the country spectrum, and hate the crying in your beer type stuff. Some people may hate the twangy, corny stuff, and then love the vocals of the same very talented artists in more melodic works.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
maybe it has something to do with the kind of people usually associated with liking country music - rednecks, hillbillies, bible belters.
That's part of it. Another part can be illustrated with a joke. What happens if you play a country music record backward? Your wife comes back, you get your pickup truck back, your dog comes back to life... Same themes over and over again. Of course you might say that's true of any music; but in country music they seems particularly overused. 'I gave him my love and he cheated on me', 'I gave her everything, and she cheated on me', 'I'm just trying to live my life, and the government wants to steal my money', 'I got drunk', 'I got drunk and started a fight', 'I got drunk and got thrown into jail', 'I ain't got no money, and my truck needs fixin' and if I had the money I'd buy a new one, but I'd keep the old one and fix it -- but not too much, because it has character', and so on. And there's a good deal of Bible-thumping.

Musically, a lot of people don't care for slide guitars. Many of the lyrics are drawn out in sort of a 'pleading' manner, which gets a bit obnoxious after a while. The costuming is weird, too. Rock bands pretty much gave up matching suits in the early-'60s. (Of course there were later bands that used costumes as part of their 'band persona'. KISS and GWAR come to mind, and Alice Cooper liked his proto-Goth look.) Country singers held onto the Western-inspired, Liberace-flamboyant leisure suits too long. And the big hair. They were ripe for mocking. Last time I looked, they seem to be going for the rodeo look. It just seems corny to me. (Of course corn is grown in the country!)

In the '70s there was Progressive Rock. Instead of short 'pop music' songs, bands performed long pieces that explored over-arching themes and complex musical composition. Punk rock protested the status quo; sometimes angrily, and sometimes satirically. New Wave continued the social commentary, and talked of love and fun in the modern world. Grunge deconstructed the synthetic New Wave, generally exploring contemporary issues (personal and otherwise) without the 'over-production'. And so on. Country music seemed (seems) stuck in the past. Same old themes, same old music.

That said, there's some Country music I like. There were a couple of songs by Garth Brooks and Tricia Yearwood that I liked back in the '90s. k.d. lang has a wonderful voice, and she went places other Country singers wouldn't go.

And Johnny Cash was The Man (in Black).
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I can't say I'm deeply into country music like I am with the blues or "golden age" hip-hop, but I do really love "classic" country music: Hank Williams Sr., Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, George Jones, etc. all that shit is amazing.

Of what little I am exposed to, as a 35-year-old lifelong Marylander, what I don't like about "modern" country music is it seems to all be either cheesy, idiotic, cloying, patriotic pandering, or just pop music with a pedal steel thrown in. Seriously, hearing them knowing nothing about them I would never categorize Faith Hill, Shania Twain, or The Dixie Chicks as country music. Even Miranda Lambert, who I like and is worlds more "country" than those others, is not especially "country" to me.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM
It's because modern country is the music equivalent of daytime television.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Well, if you don't like country music, you better like western, because there's only the two.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:39 PM
I like some country music but most of it grates on my nerves.
The twang, and you'd think there was nothing more to life except for lying, cheating, and crying in your beer.

However, back in my going out partying days the country bars were always a lot more fun than the rock bars.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM
It's because we currently politicize everysinglething in this country.

Here's a good place for me to let off a little steam about a news report I saw from an Orlando, Florida TV station online the other day. Two very polished people with scarcely any accent at all (how did they do that?) were showing a video of a news event in which a woman from one of the Carolinas was speaking.

At the end of the clip the talking head woman said sarcastically, "And she has such a cute little country accent, doesn't she?"

It seemed obvious that the announcer was insinuating political thought crimes or inferiority due to the others' accent.

Ticked me off. But it got me to thinking. Do I ever do that? Spent some time running through various types of accents that, if I hear them, I may make unfair assumptions.

Yeah, I do that. Ugh. I'm reminded of that old saying that every time you point a finger at someone else you've got three more pointing back at you.

Because people love their hound dawgs, skinny-dippin' in the creek and their pickup truck doesn't mean they're human trash. Sometimes human trash is all slicked up and has a perfect accent.

Last edited by Tethered Kite; 06-22-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Country is my favorite kind of tree.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM
You have to distinguish between classic and modern country. Modern county is pop music with an accent -- that right there is pretty bad already -- but then I really hate it because is it hyper-sentimental, nationalistic, calculatingly written to appeal to white trash, and extols simplicity to the point of anti-intellectualism (pick your own link).
Old 06-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
Country music contains multitudes. The biggest issue is that claiming to dislike country music is considered "cool" for a variety of reasons - pretty much all mentioned upthread:

- It started off as a poor person's music, so was dismissed as old, primitive, sentimental
- It is used as a political wedge by folks who want Country branded with white, isolationist values.
- It has become the place for straight-up pop / rock songs - it cares more about entertaining vs. being cool - much the same way that Young Adult fiction has become the place for straight-up storytelling vs. "litera-chah" which can often care more about being cool than being entertaining.
- Country music isn't all that dangerous - a bit of weed, a bit of drunken regret - but it isn't trying to be edgy like punk, metal, gangsta rap and many other genres have...

So yeah, it is easy to jump on the Hate Country bandwagon - so many folks do. Too bad - lotta good stuff out there. I got Dwight Sings Buck - Dwight Yoakum doing an album of Buck Owens covers - and damn, each one is a 3-minute polished jewel - very Hank Williams in their simplicity and power...
Old 06-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Charter Member
My wife went through a spell of listening to country music. She's emerging from it because she finds the lyrics mostly inane, especially on love songs, and because it gets repetitious.

When I listened to some of the ones she liked I reintroduced her to 70s southern rock, like The Outlaws. It's not a good thing when some of your best music is a retread of another genre's work from four decades ago. Having a good beat and being good driving listening is just one aspect of music. Very little country is as musically adventurous, as diverse, as complex, or as deep as rock can be. Production is surprisingly limited. You don't always have to replicate a live sound. Albums can be anything you want to be.

The simplicity of country is held up as a virtue by its fans. There is a snobbery to insisting that complex art is better than simple art, but avoiding complexity isn't inherently a good thing. That snobbery goes back a long way, to the time when rock itself was considered too simple to be good. But rock music changed in a way that country music hasn't.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:48 PM
I try not to bash any genre of music and I try find something out of each one so that I can at least say, "I guess it's not all bad." When I worked at Six Flags as a youth, I would sing along to the country and western songs that were piped in on the PA system. They all had a lovable quality to them. To this day, I still find myself singing or humming those tunes.

But I think the reason why country in general isn't appealing to me is because it's too foreign to my cultural experience. I did not grow up listening to it. No one I know listens to it. My ears are used to focusing in on the rhythm and soulful sanging of R&B or the drum or the guitar stylings of rock. With country music, my ears can only hear the unfamiliar aspects--like the whining, stretched-out vocalizations and the steel guitar. My brain doesn't know what to do with these things. Hence, listening to the songs requires some effort.

I also that the culture represented by country music also is a turn-off for me. So it's not just that it's different. It's different in a particular way.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethered Kite View Post
Yeah, I do that. Ugh. I'm reminded of that old saying that every time you point a finger at someone else you've got three more pointing back at you.
There's probably a country song with that lyric.

George Strait had one that was similar -- "Every time you throw dirt on her, you lose a little ground."
Old 06-22-2013, 04:40 PM
how true it is or not
There was a study that showed people who listen to country music are more likely to commit suicide

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 06-22-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:43 PM
see if this link will work

[URL="http://jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2579974?uid=3739704&uid=2&uid=4&uid=3739256&sid=21102358883941"[/URL]

Last edited by Sahirrnee; 06-22-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
You have to distinguish between classic and modern country. Modern county is pop music with an accent -- that right there is pretty bad already -- but then I really hate it because is it [is ...] calculatingly written to appeal to white trash, and extols simplicity to the point of anti-intellectualism (pick your own link).
I've noticed that a lot of it is just... smug. A whole lot of "you city folk couldn't understand". Couldn't understand the way we're partying at some bar or bonfire, couldn't understand the way we appreciate our families or loved ones, couldn't understand the way we love our nation, etc. Someone singing about watching their daughter graduate and how she used to make daisy chains and you can just imagine the head-nodding "Yup, we sure notice these things and love our families more for them" going on.

I suppose there's an amount of urban music about going to clubs and buying expensive crap and hanging out with expensive women but you don't have the moral superiority oozing from that genre of music.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahirrnee View Post
how true it is or not
There was a study that showed people who listen to country music are more likely to commit suicide
That's one way to solve the problem!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_cats View Post
I drive all over Indiana, and I can always find at least three country FM stations at any given time.
Back when I was living in Ohio, and doing a lot of driving there and in the neighbouring states, I listened to a lot of C&W because away from the large cities that was mostly it on the radio, apart from the preachers. I didn't mind it -- even those about how the dog had died and the woman had left for another man -- but it's not what I'd have chosen to listen to,
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Because I've seen bumper stickers with more depth of thought.
"Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off". Hyuck, hyuck, hyuck.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:12 PM
A lot of country music is mawkish. I have a somewhat limited tolerance for that, and most of said tolerance is spent listening to country's grandpappy: bluegrass.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Quote:
You have to distinguish between classic and modern country. Modern county is pop music with an accent -- that right there is pretty bad already -- but then I really hate it because is it hyper-sentimental, nationalistic, calculatingly written to appeal to white trash, and extols simplicity to the point of anti-intellectualism (pick your own link).
You nailed it. Modern country/pop panders so blatantly to its target audience that it's ridiculous. I find almost all of the pop/country on the country radio stations to be some of the most awful stuff I've ever had the misfortune of hearing. Unfortunately, my wife grew up listening to it and still likes it. (I've seen Kenny Chesney with her three times.)
I enjoy a lot of alt-country though. (Drive-By Truckers, Son Volt, James McMurtry, etc.)
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I suppose there's an amount of urban music about going to clubs and buying expensive crap and hanging out with expensive women but you don't have the moral superiority oozing from that genre of music.
Are you kidding? Have you listened to rap music?

In all seriousness, I do listen to some rap and some country, but the stuff at the top of the charts of both genres can be pretty painfully bad.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:50 PM
One thing I don't like about country music is the habit of taking some tired, old, cliche and just repeating it over and over and calling it a song. A perfect example of this is "Why Not Me" by The Judds (I think they did that song).

Boring.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:52 PM
I dislike that it seems necessary to sing in a 'country' accent. Why is the accent required? Would it not be a country song if you sang it without the accent?
Old 06-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I actually like modern Country music and even I have to admit there's a lot of treacle crap out there. Unfortunately for every "Merry Go 'Round there's twenty "Beer with Jesus, "Flyover States", and "Redneck Crazy".
Old 06-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
My ears are used to focusing in on the rhythm and soulful sanging of R&B...
I've found with modern Country and R&B I can't tell the difference until I either hear the pedal steel or see the video. They are both painfully banal Pop and it's been that way since both genres decided they needed to appeal to middle-class Whites.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Must country singers WHINE ALL THE GODDAM TIME? Johnny Cash l can listen to, but most modern country sounds like cats on a fence!
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Back when I was living in Ohio, and doing a lot of driving there and in the neighbouring states, I listened to a lot of C&W because away from the large cities that was mostly it on the radio, apart from the preachers. I didn't mind it -- even those about how the dog had died and the woman had left for another man -- but it's not what I'd have chosen to listen to,
The dog up and died, your woman left you for another man, your car got reposessed? That doesn't make me think of C&W. Hell, that's the Blues.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Sometime in the 60's there was a great political divide between Country and Rock music. Could of had to do with perceptions about Civil Rights, could have been Viet Nam, and a lot of it probably had to do with how long a guy's hair was.

I know that the great bluegrass group Flatt & Scruggs broke up over Vietnam. It boiled down to Lester not appreciating Earl's concerns about his (Earl's) draft age sons.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:07 AM
There are some good modern country songs... here's one! http://youtube.com/watch?v=k9h3kwpTwjs (nsfw lyrics)
Old 06-23-2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thicksantorum View Post
There are some good modern country songs... here's one! http://youtube.com/watch?v=k9h3kwpTwjs (nsfw lyrics)
See also:
Unknown Hinson
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DhRgWuHOvko
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thicksantorum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
I'll see both of those and raise you Ween (nsfw lyrics).

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-23-2013, 01:16 AM
I like pretty much most genres of music I come across, of varying niches and specificity, except for country. I couldn't tell you why.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:25 AM
Charter Member
I don't think that a lot of country songs of the past twenty years can be slotted into a single genre called "country." I'd suggest that "country" itself has split into a number of subgenres.

The Empowered Country Woman, epitomized by such artists as:

-- Shania Twain, "That Don't Impress Me Much."
-- Martina McBride, "Independence Day."
-- The Dixie Chicks, "Goodbye Earl."

The Foolery Song, as we see from such artists as:

-- Mark Wills, "Nineteen Something."
-- Paul Brandt's cover of "Convoy."
-- Joe Nichols, "Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off."

Serious Life Stuff, from the following and others:

-- Michelle Wright, "He Would Be Sixteen."
-- Tim McGraw, "Live Like You Were Dyin'."
-- Phil Vassar, "In a Real Love."

There are others; those are the first to come to mind with examples. Regardless though, Judy Collins doing "Someday Soon," and Mark Chestnutt's "Bubba Shot the Jukebox," both of which are considered "country," are as different as night and day. I would suggest that "country" is an umbrella designation, much like "rock" (can we slot Styx in the same genre as Led Zeppelin?); and as such, we cannot dismiss the whole genre. We have to weigh and accept or dismiss each of the parts.

Last edited by Spoons; 06-23-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 AM
I would personally recommend the best country artist ever, James Otto! He's such a sweetheart <3

God Bless!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:06 AM
BANNED
Spoons-Who wrote that song 1st: Tim McGraw or Kris Allen? I have Kris's version on my iPod.

Contributing to the topic at hand: I agree with Jophiel. IMO. country is seen as "Red State" music, and derided accordingly.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Among Liberals View Post
I like pretty much most genres of music I come across, of varying niches and specificity, except for country. I couldn't tell you why.
What about Alt-Country?

Last FM Library Thing
Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 AM
Country music is like a person that finds every opportunity to say "thank you veterans for protecting our freedoms" or "America is the greatest country on earth" or all those other saccharine pronouncements with absolutely no thought behind them.

Last edited by fumster; 06-23-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 AM
BANNED
This excerpt from the country song "You never even call me by my name" explains all that is (hillariously) wrong with country music and why everyone (should) hate *most* country:

WELL, A FRIEND OF MINE NAMED STEVE GOODMAN WROTE THAT SONG
AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
I WROTE HIM BACK A LETTER AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN’T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS,
OR TRUCKS,
OR PRISON,
OR GETTING’ DRUNK
WELL HE SAT DOWN AND WROTE ANOTHER VERSE TO THE SONG
AND HE SENT IT TO ME,
AND AFTER READING IT,
I REALIZED THAT MY FRIEND HAD WRITTEN THE PERFECT
COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
AND I FELT OBLIGED TO INCLUDE IT ON THIS ALBUM
THE LAST VERSE GOES LIKE THIS HERE:

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK
SHE GOT RUN NED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN
Old 06-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Charter Member
I don't like Jazz music, but Swing is okay.
Similarly, I don't like Country music, but Bluegrass is okay.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:49 AM
What about James Otto? I've heard good things about him.

d&r

Old 06-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
I would personally recommend the best country artist ever, James Otto! He's such a sweetheart <3

God Bless!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
You win the thread.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG
Why is country music so widely disliked?
Rather than repeat what others have stated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchmeister View Post
I'm not an American, but maybe it has something to do with the kind of people usually associated with liking country music - rednecks, hillbillies, bible belters.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
A lot of Americans don't like the C&W music 'scene' that is perceived to be catering to dumb rednecks and the like.
This
Quote:
-- but then I really hate it because is it calculatingly written to appeal to white trash, and extols simplicity to the point of anti-intellectualism--
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I also that the culture represented by country music also is a turn-off for me. So it's not just that it's different. It's different in a particular way.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
And there's a good deal of Bible-thumping.
This

Last edited by Onomatopoeia; 06-23-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumster View Post
Country music is like a person that finds every opportunity to say "thank you veterans for protecting our freedoms" or "America is the greatest country on earth" or all those other saccharine pronouncements with absolutely no thought behind them.
To be clear: 95% of everything is crap. With Country Music, a lot of that 95% is taken up by the crap you and the other posters describe.

So? Is that not true about EVERY genre of music? And, like every genre of music, there are excellent examples of it out there.

Country is widely disliked because it is easy to dislike some of the noisier champions of it and paint it with a broad brush. And also because the Country fans who take that dislike personally are likely to wear it like a badge and get feisty - just like the folks who get in line at Chick-Fil-A because they resent the pressure that the company got over its stance on gay marriage, or who stand in line at Paula Deen's restaurant to show her support.

I totally get why folks dismiss hackneyed, God Bless the USA, Toby Keith jingositic crap. But folks who just throw Country Music out as a whole are missing some fine music.

Last edited by WordMan; 06-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDP View Post
What about Alt-Country?
"A Ghost To Most"- Drive-By Truckers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=70OEfblFYLU

"Carl Perkins Cadillac"- Drive-By Truckers
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YePTam6I6iw

"Outfit"-Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BqOCOEdZ0uo

"Windfall"-Son Volt
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNTQ2DuJKtU

"Passenger Side"-Wilco
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7urkZYBC9u4

Last edited by Accidental Martyr; 06-23-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
This excerpt from the country song "You never even call me by my name" explains all that is (hillariously) wrong with country music and why everyone (should) hate *most* country:

WELL, A FRIEND OF MINE NAMED STEVE GOODMAN WROTE THAT SONG
AND HE TOLD ME IT WAS THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
I WROTE HIM BACK A LETTER AND I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN’T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS,
OR TRUCKS,
OR PRISON,
OR GETTING’ DRUNK
WELL HE SAT DOWN AND WROTE ANOTHER VERSE TO THE SONG
AND HE SENT IT TO ME,
AND AFTER READING IT,
I REALIZED THAT MY FRIEND HAD WRITTEN THE PERFECT
COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG
AND I FELT OBLIGED TO INCLUDE IT ON THIS ALBUM
THE LAST VERSE GOES LIKE THIS HERE:

WELL, I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOM GOT OUT OF PRISON
AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAIN
BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUP TRUCK
SHE GOT RUN NED OVER BY A DAMNED OLD TRAIN
You get out of here. That verse is golden.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I totally get why folks dismiss hackneyed, God Bless the USA, Toby Keith jingositic crap. But folks who just throw Country Music out as a whole are missing some fine music.
I agree with both of these sentiments. I like Willie and Johnny and Patsy and even Dolly. But I don't like pop country any more than I like Brittney or Bieber. I also don't like the stuff that might not be considered pop country but it is the stuff that drastic_quench links to.