Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Has anybody ever been killed by a bobcat? (Not urgent)

I was wondering if a human has ever been killed by a bobcat. Or a lynx.

What is the smallest cat that has been able to kill an adult human?

Any info would be appreciated. And no, it is not urgent, as I am not presently in any danger from a bobcat, lynx, or other wild feline, so far as I can tell...
Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gytalf2000 View Post
I am not presently in any danger from a bobcat, lynx, or other wild feline, so far as I can tell...
With cats you just never really know, do ya?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
There are some recent reports of bobcat attacks in the U.S. but they had rabies. Everything I can find says that there are no documented fatal attacks against humans. Bobcats are fairly small (20 - 30 lbs) and very reclusive so I suppose I can believe it at least for adults. I am sure a bobcat could kill a child or small and/or weak person under the right conditions. I can't find any examples of it ever happening however.

http://starnewsonline.com/articl...CLES/120829834

Mountain lions are the only cats native to the U.S. that will occasionally attack and kill people as far as I know (there may be a few jaguars in South Texas that could kill a person as well)

Last edited by Shagnasty; 07-18-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM
I haven't.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
This is a favorite site of mine, scroll down to the 2nd to last row, click on the Dingo Trial.

She claims a dingo took her baby;

Now, not a feline, but interesting anyway.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...ls/ftrials.htm

Last edited by lawbuff; 07-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
An uninjured, adult human? I doubt it. Even most cougar fatalities are children, and that's a much, much larger animal.

On the other (unverified) hand, housecats supposedly kill numerous humans each year (usually by tripping them), but I expect that's not what you had in mind, either.

(I'm also assuming you're discounting things like rabies and other diseases transferred from animal to human).
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Never heard of it, but I read that a Swiss hunter strangled one during the nineties. I believed it was in 1995. He claimed that the lynx was harassing him -- following him around and biting and going about and at last he lost his temper and got in a fight with him and strangled the bastard. True story. (At least as recounted in reputable newspaper.) But the other way around, never heard of it. Lynxes are strange though. I had a period of my life for a few years when I collected news stories about lynxes like Charles Fort collected news about falling frogs, but never found one about a lynx killing a man. I wonder who that Swiss hunter was, must have been a badass.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinyan View Post
Never heard of it, but I read that a Swiss hunter strangled one during the nineties. I believed it was in 1995. He claimed that the lynx was harassing him -- following him around and biting and going about and at last he lost his temper and got in a fight with him and strangled the bastard. True story. (At least as recounted in reputable newspaper.) But the other way around, never heard of it. Lynxes are strange though. I had a period of my life for a few years when I collected news stories about lynxes like Charles Fort collected news about falling frogs, but never found one about a lynx killing a man. I wonder who that Swiss hunter was, must have been a badass.

Wow! Fascinating incident. the guy likely had to be scratched up pretty badly during this altercation, don't you think?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White SIFL View Post
With cats you just never really know, do ya?

No, they're sneaky like that.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:53 PM
http://igorilla.com/gorilla/anim...lls_skier.html
Stalked and killed by a hungry cougar...

Last edited by md2000; 07-18-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
http://igorilla.com/gorilla/anim...lls_skier.html
Cougars are much larger than bobcats. Bobcats can sometimes be mistaken for feral house cats--their sizes overlap.

ETA: To the OP, FWIW, I have never heard of a bobcat killing a human.

Last edited by JKilez; 07-18-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2000 View Post
I was stalked by a hungry cougar once.

The trick is to leave the bar when she's in the can.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
What is the smallest cat that has been able to kill an adult human?
With cats, your are probably more likely to die from infected wounds than from the attack itself. This has certainly happened with domestic cats. So if you are not limiting yourself to an immediate kill, then it is quite probable that smaller cats have killed humans, particularly humans without access to antibiotics.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:25 PM
There was that actress that tripped over her housecat and died, though - it's in the Strange Celebrity Deaths thread in the Cafe. Beulah Bondi! That's her! Technically, she died from complications from broken ribs, but those ribs never would've been broken if it wasn't for the cat.

Last edited by Snickers; 07-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Cherica Adams.

Oh, wait, that was a Panther.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 07-18-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Wow! Fascinating incident. the guy likely had to be scratched up pretty badly during this altercation, don't you think?
Pardon me, Roy...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Bobcats take my chickens occasionally. They aren't strong enough to carry a full sized hen over an eight foot fence (the one they came in over). That isn't a real big animal. Fast though. Really, really fast and totally silent. Ours are the size of a big, long-legged house cat.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 PM
We let a friend deer hunt on the ranch and he reported that after a couple of hours of sitting still up on a rock ledge he heard the faintest of rustles behind him. He turned and there, ten feet behind him, was a bobcat just sitting and watching him. Certainly it possessed the element of surprise but, rather than employ that, was far more curious than agressive. If this anecdote indicates anything it's that any holes a bobcat might inflict through your person would likely be from stareing as opposed to an actual malicious attack.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Even a small fluffy kitten can trigger a fatal asthma attack on the right person.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Kitten huffing
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Yes, probably. He wouldn't shoot him because the lynxes were under protection, it was against the law to shoot them in Switzerland at the time, so he tried to get rid of him several times, you know "fuck off I'm deer hunting here", but the lynx seemingly went "hey I'm under protection, what are gonna do, gnarl, gnarl", and the Swiss hunter eventually lost his temper and got into a fight with him and it ended up him strangling the bastard. It's one of them stories you go "yeah right", but it was in the news at the time.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:53 PM
BANNED
Not urgent? Well don't try.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:19 PM
Here is a case of a man killed by a Bobcat.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakinyan View Post
European lynxes are much bigger than bobcats. A big male can get up to 30 kg (66 lb). (In Siberia they can get up to 38 kg/84 lb.) That's a pretty formidable cat. Male bobcats normally don't exceed 18 kg/40 lb, although the official record is 22 kg/49 lb.

The noted naturalist and taxidermist Carl Akeley once killed a leopard with his bare hands after being attacked.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Here is a case of a man killed by a Bobcat.
Heck, I'm sure you could find lots of guys killed by caterpillars, by that standard.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Motorcyclist killed after collision with bobcat.
http://tinyurl.com/meazbcp

An elderly man has died after being trapped under the arm of a bobcat in Sydney's south.
http://tinyurl.com/lwltt66
Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Charter Member
Not fatal, but an interesting incident none the less...