Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Trekkie vs. Trekker?

So I've picked up that this is a bit of a thing among the Star Trek fandom: One of those words is very much not the preferred nomenclature, and the other one is. I've never understood why. So what's the deal?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 PM
BANNED
Trekkie is the proper term for a Star Trek fan

Trekker sounds stupid and is not a real word
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Trekker is a fan of the shows and movies. A Trekkie is a fan who dresses up while going to conventions.
And they both want to be called Trekker. But there will be disagreement with this...
Old 07-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSXer View Post
You chose the noun form of trek as the one that's not a real word?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:25 PM
BANNED
Trekkers take it way, way, way too seriously. Trekkies are casual fans.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM
Charter Member
I'm a Trekkie. Or a Treknik. Trekophile? "Trekker" sounds like one of those TNG fans....
Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 AM
My question, really, is why "Trekkers"--that being the preferred nomenclature, so far as I can tell--get so irritated if anyone calls them "Trekkies".
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Folly is correct. The Second Stone has it backwards.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Folly is correct. The Second Stone has it backwards.
It's a question of reference point.

"Trekkie" is the pop-culture-accepted term, it's the one my mom would know, and it's the one most of the big Trek fans I know (who are of the maybe-a-convention-every-few-years set) would use.

Using "Trekker" indicates you're far enough down the wormhole that you care about the terminology.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Wikipedia entry on trekker vs. trekkie.

Quote:
Trekkie is "frequently depreciative",[44] thus, "not an acceptable term to serious fans",[45] who prefer Trekker. . . .
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 AM
For whatever reason many fans consider "Trekkie" as disparaging, while "Trekker" is considered more respectable. The funny thing is that Gene Roddenbery favored the term "Trekkie", even correcting questioners that used "Trekker". (At least that's what the commentary track of the endlessly amusing documentary "Trekkies" claimed.)
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Trekkers are fans of the shows and movies because of the great overall story and social commentary embodied in the them of optimism and a better future. Trekkies need a life.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 AM
A Trekker will buy a set of Spock's ear tips used in a specific episode.

A Trekkie will wear them.

To dinner.

At Applebees.

Here, we're all called Trek Dopers.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Trekkie is the proper term for a Star Trek fan

Seconded. Word for word. And among the fans I know, even former "Trekkers" consider the term ridiculous.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:49 AM
Charter Member
Trekkie is a diminutive, it reduces fan activities into something negative and childish. Fans of Star Trek do not want to be viewed so dismissively, and therefore prefer a word that represents their participation in fan activities, and of their imagining travelling along with their heroes through space. Trekker represents that.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:17 AM
A "Trekkie" is a Star Trek fan who gets confused when he hears that there's some sort of controversy over the two words (I honestly never heard about the distinction until recently, but am in no way surprised that fans have been arguing about it for 40 years).

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 07-20-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy View Post
A Trekker will buy a set of Spock's ear tips used in a specific episode.

A Trekkie will wear them.

To dinner.

At Applebees.

Here, we're all called Trek Dopers.
What kind of freak eats at Applebees?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
It's a question of reference point.

"Trekkie" is the pop-culture-accepted term, it's the one my mom would know, and it's the one most of the big Trek fans I know (who are of the maybe-a-convention-every-few-years set) would use.

Using "Trekker" indicates you're far enough down the wormhole that you care about the terminology.
It's like black-on-black use of 'ni%%er'.
Trekkie is what outsiders call them. To the group they are Trekkors.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
What kind of freak eats at Applebees?
Here ya go.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Charter Member
I was lurking in this thread a second ago, and I have a problem with it.

Isn't the reason for two terms, a bit self-serving?

The debate is over the terms being interchangeable, thus I won't be using them.

At once, it seeks to divide our group, and worse, it does so with condescension. I am sure that I am uniquely me, and if you want to move me further into the nomenclature of a nerd or geek, so be it. However, I don't think it serves us well to essentially say "he is more of a geek than I am" or "he isn't OUR type of geek".

I am currently watching TNG episodes one after the other, in order, thanks to Netflix. I'm half way through season 5. (Indeed you can see the post I made on S5:E18) I am thoroughly enjoying it, and getting insight on many issues. I love phillosohy, Trek philosophy, especially when it is new ground for me, such that I won't need to "reinvent the wheel" later.

For this, and other reasons, I don't regret my choice to complete watching the entire run. Does that make me more of a fan than some others? Of course.

But that also gets back to my point. I think at the point we have to split hairs here, only proves we are more devoted to the show than muggles mundanes .... People who still confuse Trek with Star Wars. (Not meant to slight Wars in the least.)

Do something for the exploration and the satisfaction of your curiosity. That should give more than enough resistance to counter any label put upon you, for any endeavor.

I could, and think I will, go Meta for a second.

Would Starfleet approve of the Trekkie / Trekker Rhetoric?

[Knowing full well, that just placed me firmly in one camp over the other.]
Old 07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
We were Trekkies long before some aspie newcomer decided that was insufficiently dignified. Trekkers has always sounded like some overpriced faux-hiking/work shoe sold at Target to compete with the real overpriced faux-hiking/work shoe Sketchers.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
Would Starfleet approve of the Trekkie / Trekker Rhetoric?
No, as mentioned upthread, Gene Roddenberry preferred "Trekkie" and thought "Trekker" was stupid.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
No, as mentioned upthread, Gene Roddenberry preferred "Trekkie" and thought "Trekker" was stupid.
I was going more for the "Spirit" and not the "Letter" here. ""Word of God"" notwithstanding, I can't see Pike, Kirk, Picard, and the other Captains I've yet to meet, and those I will never "meet" deciding to even recognize the debate.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Trekkers are fans of the shows and movies because of the great overall story and social commentary embodied in the them of optimism and a better future. Trekkies need a life.
On second thought,

THIS.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Trekkies are people who love Star Trek unabashedly.

Trekkers are people who like Star Trek but are so afraid that society will judge them for it that they need to come up with a "dignified" self-descriptor, not realizing that it makes them sound like science fiction hipsters (and still sounds pretty undignified when you get right down to it).
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Calling yourself a "trekker" is like calling yourself a "bright".
Old 07-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Bailey View Post
Seconded. Word for word. And among the fans I know, even former "Trekkers" consider the term ridiculous.
trekker noun
ORIGIN mid 19th cent.: from South African Dutch trek (noun), trekken (verb) ‘pull, travel.’
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Trekkie is a diminutive, it reduces fan activities into something negative and childish. Fans of Star Trek do not want to be viewed so dismissively, and therefore prefer a word that represents their participation in fan activities, and of their imagining travelling along with their heroes through space. Trekker represents that.
So, like "foodie" vs "fooder"?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:48 PM
BANNED
I can't tell how much of this thread is tongue-in-cheek and how much of it is y'all really adhering to your POVs, but it's hilarious either way.

I enjoy the Star Trek universe just fine, like some of the TV shows, the movies, etc. Never dressed up as anyone from Star Trek and don't plan to. Don't know or care if I'm a trekkie or trekker and don't really ever want to know.

I'm a fan of Star Trek, and that's good enough for me.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Trekkie: A fan of Star Trek.

Trekker: An insecure fan of Star Trek.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Charter Member
I'm a Trekkie. Someone who insists on the term "Trekker" is has self-esteem problems.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:40 PM
Trekkers live in their own homes.

Trekkies live in their mom's basement*.

TriPolar - Trekker since 1966

*Unless they are Rhode Island Trekkies, in which case they live in their mom's down cellar.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Charter Member
{SINGS}"I'm a Trekker, he's a Trekker, she's a Trekker, we're a Trekker, wouldn't you like to be a Trekker, too?".{/SINGS}

No.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
So, like "foodie" vs "fooder"?
Foodie vs Gourmand.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:45 PM
I once saw a placard for a meeting of Trekkers, dashed in all excited...

It turned out they were hikers. True story.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 07-20-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I'm a Trekkie. Someone who insists on the term "Trekker" is has self-esteem problems.
This.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanbarkie View Post
Trekkies are people who love Star Trek unabashedly.

Trekkers are people who like Star Trek but are so afraid that society will judge them for it that they need to come up with a "dignified" self-descriptor, not realizing that it makes them sound like science fiction hipsters (and still sounds pretty undignified when you get right down to it).
This.

Trekkie was in use first. It was used for both the rabid fan and the casual fan.

But that was back in the days when being a SciFi geek was uncool. Yes, my dear twenty-somethings, there was a time when 'being into computers' was a social kiss of death and not a pathway to billionairesville. It was also the time we called it 'SciFi' and not speculative futurism or science fantasy or the turdtastic SyFy.

So, the socially insecure casual fans, not wanting to be associated with the nerds (NERRRRDSSS!!!), geeks, and freaks, decided to call themselves Trekkers. See?! A Trekkie is crazy and to be made a social pariah for their fandom!! But I'm cool and can take or leave Star Trek... I just watch it for the relevant social commentary on modern society. Oops, I just scraped my nose on the underbelly of that overpassing jet.

And so, Trekkers are the ones holding the huge sign that reads: I NEED THE APPROVAL OF OTHERS SO BADLY THAT I SELF-IDENTIFY AS A TREKKER AND NOT TREKKIE! Which is fine. A true Trekkie knows that Star Trek is about not conforming to wrongful social norms, that's what Star Trek taught us, and those who don't get that lesson would do well not to call themselves a Trekkie.

And Trekkies are reveling in that fact that 'Trekkie' is no longer seen as odd or weird to mainstream culture. And that their computers are taking over the world.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Charter Member
I generally applaud this any, but I this this was a non sequitur ...

Quote:
. It was also the time we called it 'SciFi' and not speculative futurism or science fantasy or the turdtastic SyFy.
"SyFy" has nothing to with trying to change the image of scifi or replacing it with a new term. "SciFi" is a generic term for the genre they focus on. They needed a brand name that they could build exclusive rights in.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 AM
My interpretation is that a Trekkie is someone who is a fan of Star Trek. A Trekker is a Trekkie who is taking themselves too seriously.

But then, social nomenclature is a fickle and often-varying thing, with members of the same demographic having varying opinions of any particular word (such as the whole "N-Word Privileges" thing.) I've seen similar discussions of nerd vs. geek (I see myself as a geek, but won't deny if someone calls me a nerd, I know other folks who get up in arms over it one way or the other)
Old 07-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
But that was back in the days when being a SciFi geek was uncool. Yes, my dear twenty-somethings, there was a time when 'being into computers' was a social kiss of death and not a pathway to billionairesville. It was also the time we called it 'SciFi' and not speculative futurism or science fantasy or the turdtastic SyFy.
I was told, back in the 1960s or 70s, that people who were not in the field or who only read it casually called it scifi. Scifi, to people who really knew the field, described such classical works as Revenge of the Giant Ant-Men, whereas science fiction was for works like Childhood's End. IOW, scifi was used as a sneering term for potboilers by some people, who would use SF or science fiction or spec fic for more serious works.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Funny thing is, I'm a Trekkie AND a Trekker (and a TrekDoper). The ONLY reason I use the term Trekker more often is because I like how it sounds. I don't have any social anxiety or self esteem issues with being known as a fan of Star Trek, or as a Whovian, or any other moniker someone may choose to describe my enjoyment of even non SciFi sci fi.

I was watching the show as a little kid when it first aired, I went to the first Star Trek Convention I ever heard of (at the time) when I was all of 13.

Words are merely words. I am a fan of a TV show. (And the movies, even the one that doesn't exist.)

Label me as you will. And I will use whatever term I like (at that moment).
Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Apparently, I am also the Sci Fi version version of Gandhi.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
I was going more for the "Spirit" and not the "Letter" here. ""Word of God"" notwithstanding, I can't see Pike, Kirk, Picard, and the other Captains I've yet to meet, and those I will never "meet" deciding to even recognize the debate.
Actually, one captain (Kirk*) delves straight into this controversy in one of his many books. I don't recall which one, so you'll have to read all of them. Luckily, they're entertaining for the most part.

*That would be William Shatner, just in case you didn't know.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Actually, one captain (Kirk*) delves straight into this controversy in one of his many books. I don't recall which one, so you'll have to read all of them. Luckily, they're entertaining for the most part.

*That would be William Shatner, just in case you didn't know.
It will go into my queue after the remaining four seasons of TNG, Voyager, DS9, Enterprise, The TNG movies, TOS and the TOS movies if I can get past how dated it is*,
BSG, B5, SG1, .....

Tell you what, lets not and say I did.

* I tried watching TOS, really I did. I just can't get over the fact that it feels like a bowling alley with bad lighting (in terms of the visual, and the auditory hum.) TNG on the other hand, is just now thinking about beginning to look dated. Picard has and IPad, and so do I, it's conceivable for me still.

And then I found out that TOS was what, 3 seasons? From a number of episode standpoint, the ... Awe for TOS seems overstated. If you need me, I'll be over there in the flame proof room.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:48 PM
One time a bunch of friends and I were talking about Star Trek and I mentioned that I watched and liked the original series, had seen quite a bit of Next Generation and DS9, but wasn't an over-the-top fan about it, but that I did consider myself an "original Trekkie".

When asked what I meant, I told them that I watched all of the original series when it originally first aired and was already a fan for a month or so before any of my friends finally saw it or before it became well known to the general public.

So, I was a big fan during its first run, when it was a great show struggling for an audience, but the franchise never grabbed me the same way when it returned years later.

"Original Trekkie" fits my fan description just fine, I think.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM
If you're at a party and talking to someone about Star Trek and they insist you use Trekker instead of Trekkie stop talking to that person.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
If you're at a party and talking to someone about Star Trek and they insist you use Trekker instead of Trekkie stop talking to that person.
Perhaps, but then you should also do the same thing to people like those in this thread that insist the proper term is "Trekkie." Both are taking the name very seriously.

Needing a term at all is already an indication that you are more than a casual fan. It means you've organized yourself into some sort of community. It just so happens that there are two such communities in the Star Trek fandom, and both think the other takes the whole thing too seriously. If you observe from the outside, you'll find equal levels of fandom in both groups. Both contain the cosplayers, the people who go to cons, the people who post on Trek messageboards, the people who just watch the show, etc.

Used to, I'd say that Trekkies at least took the naming thing less seriously (hence why the proper term was "Trekkers"--Trekkies didn't care), but this thread shows that there is a backlash. I guess I should have known that would happen.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
We were Trekkies long before some aspie newcomer decided that was insufficiently dignified. Trekkers has always sounded like some overpriced faux-hiking/work shoe sold at Target to compete with the real overpriced faux-hiking/work shoe Sketchers.
Actually...

1. They're called Cross-Trekkers.

2. They're sold at Payless Shoes

3. At $30/pair, they're actually quite reasonable.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
If you're at a party and someone won't stop talking about Star Trek, that's a Trekkie.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Charter Member
Missed the edit: For my part, I'm in the camp that calls them "trekkies", because I think it sounds dismissive, and I think they deserve it.

Similar reasoning is involved in my insistence of the word "Mighty" in the name of the local hockey team.