Old 11-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Who was Gus Fring (Breaking Bad Character)?

In the episode, "Hermanos" (S4 E8), we see the cartel leader, Don Eladio, spare Gus' life because, "I know who you are". "But understand," he warns "You are not in Chile anymore."

In the episode, "One Minute" (S3 E7), we hear cartel captain, Hector Salamanca, say, "I don't care who he knows." The implication being that he is being asked his opinion of the cartel doing business with Gus. He votes no. The other members of the leadership want to go forward because of who Gus knows. Ultimately, Hector is overruled. The cartel & Gus Fring establish a business relationship.

In the episode, "I See You" (S3 E8), we see the Mexican police raid the home of Juan Bolsa, another cartel member, while he is one the phone with Mr. Fring. The implication here is that Mr. Fring somehow arranged the raid.

In the episode, "Bug" (S4 E9), we see cartel hitman, Gaff, sniping at members of Fring's organization. Gus walks straight out to him, out in the open, essentially daring Gaff to shoot him. To do that, you'd have to being either crazy or very certain that you're not going to get shot. This, again, underscores how important Gus is to the cartel. He is untouchable, even in open defiance.

The fact that this hidden past was not more fully developed is my only major disappointment with the series. I think that there must have been a decision to spend more time on Walt & Jesse's family issues - that Gus' storyline took the series away from it's main path. But, there is so much hinting around that it's a shame that it never went anywhere.

My guess is that Gus was connected to Special Agent in Charge Ramey. SAC Ramey was the head of the southwestern US DEA. In other words, a person perfectly positioned to protect Gus' empire. He would be someone that Gus could call to arrange a raid in Mexico. This would also be an alternate reason why Hank's bosses always tried to move him away from the Fring investigation. This relationship, if true, would've been a powerful, unspoken, element in the balance of power between Gus & the cartel.

But, hey, maybe I'm wrong. Would anyone else care to speculate about where Vince Gilligan intended to take us in Mr. Fring's past?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:29 AM
Charter Member
My memory is quickly getting hazy here so I may be wrong on some of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrForrester View Post
In the episode, "Hermanos" (S4 E8), we see the cartel leader, Don Eladio, spare Gus' life because, "I know who you are". "But understand," he warns "You are not in Chile anymore."
The person he killed, the cook, was Gus' boyfriend. Gus is gay. That's who he was. Why he wasn't killed at the same time, I don't recall. He probably should have been. He was a nobody. Another thing, that comment could have been meant to mean "We're not all that civilized here (in Mexico) and I'll remember you, mess with me and I'll kill you too...have a nice day"

Quote:
In the episode, "One Minute" (S3 E7), we hear cartel captain, Hector Salamanca, say, "I don't care who he knows." The implication being that he is being asked his opinion of the cartel doing business with Gus. He votes no. The other members of the leadership want to go forward because of who Gus knows. Ultimately, Hector is overruled. The cartel & Gus Fring establish a business relationship.
I need some more context here, I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking who he knows? Maybe it was that he (somehow) knows the cousins.

Quote:
In the episode, "I See You" (S3 E8), we see the Mexican police raid the home of Juan Bolsa, another cartel member, while he is one the phone with Mr. Fring. The implication here is that Mr. Fring somehow arranged the raid.
IIRC he did. I want to say he was friends with the Mexican police chief.

Quote:
In the episode, "Bug" (S4 E9), we see cartel hitman, Gaff, sniping at members of Fring's organization. Gus walks straight out to him, out in the open, essentially daring Gaff to shoot him. To do that, you'd have to being either crazy or very certain that you're not going to get shot. This, again, underscores how important Gus is to the cartel. He is untouchable, even in open defiance.
Gus is very important to the Cartel. The Cartel wanted Gus' territory (and recipe), but Gus wouldn't give it up. If they killed Gus they really wouldn't get it. It's like the mafia trying to scare someone into paying up their debt. They can't actually kill him. Dead people don't pay. People with broken legs do. They wanted to rattle Gus, kill some of his hench men, steal some of his product, but if they kill him the most they could hope for was to take some of New Mexico over.

Having said all that, I'm sure I'll get corrected on some of it.

Also, you should probably have a mod change your title to mention that there's spoilers in this thread.

Last edited by Joey P; 11-04-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:06 AM
I think the implication is that he was connected with the Pinochet regime. That's what everybody in the BB threads here assumed. I don't think there were any hints that he had ties to anyone in the DEA besides his well-known friendship with Hank's boss, and Hank's boss was clearly in the dark there.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:19 AM
Vince Gilligan has said that Gus Fring was somehow involved with the Pinochet regime. Details don't really matter. The worst part about modern American cinema is how everything needs to be spelled out for the daffos.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse View Post
The worst part about modern American cinema is how everything needs to be spelled out for the daffos.
"A Chadic language spoken in northern Nigeria"?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
The fact that this hidden past was not more fully developed is my only major disappointment with the series. I think that there must have been a decision to spend more time on Walt & Jesse's family issues - that Gus' storyline took the series away from it's main path. But, there is so much hinting around that it's a shame that it never went anywhere.
It was never going to go anywhere because it ultimately wasn't important to the course of the show. Anyway I think this is a great example of background that would have been ruined by explanation. The specifics wouldn't have been good as whatever you came up with in your imagination. 'Someone connected to the Pinochet regime' is good enough for me.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
The person he killed, the cook, was Gus' boyfriend. Gus is gay.
That's fan speculation, never confirmed in the show.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:16 PM
I think you missed the largest hint that Gus Fring is Someone Else - IIRC, there's a scene where Fring is talking with Mike, and Mike talks about how "if I can't find any record of you prior to 1989, no one else can" or something similar. Hank also mentions during his investigation of Fring that he can't find anything on him before he appears in 1989.

But yeah, I think Marley23 has it right - it's just intended to be background information that the viewer can fill in themselves. The idea is probably just that he was someone powerful in the Pinochet regime.

I don't think there's anything to support that Ramey was in on it.

Last edited by magnusblitz; 11-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM
Hector Salamanca refers to Gus as "Grand Generalissimo," and Don Eladio tells Gus that he is "not in Chile anymore" but spares his life because he knows who Gus really is.

Pinochet regime, doubtlessly.

"This particular line referred back to Vince [Gilligan's] idea that Gustavo had very deep ties to the Pinochet government, and somewhere around episode 4.03, Vince stared to explain to me some of the things that could happen in the fourth season. Gus was probably a guy who was a General at some point or a Lieutenant and had probably killed a lot of people — or maybe was a hero in the army. I had all these thoughts that we’d get a chance to find out more about that, and who knows, we still might." -- Giancarlo Esposito

Last edited by drastic_quench; 11-04-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Anyway I think this is a great example of background that would have been ruined by explanation.
++.
My sister, knowing I'm a huge Casablanca fan, once sent me a book of someone's reconstruction of Rick's life before and after the events of the movie.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Wasn't it at least implied in the show? IIRC he only called him his 'partner' never his 'business partner'. Also, in this clip she said "Gus loves this man very very much". That's not something you often hear someone saying about a business partner or even a good friend. I don't want to derail the thread, but it takes me to my next question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Hector Salamanca refers to Gus as "Grand Generalissimo," and Don Eladio tells Gus that he is "not in Chile anymore" but spares his life because he knows who Gus really is.
Did he say "I know who you are" or "I know who you really are" There's a big difference there. "I know who you are" could simply mean that I'll remember your face going forward if you mess with me. "I know who you really are" implies that he's not killing him simply because he's a bigger player in the narcotics game then just some lowly cook and Don Eladio knows it.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:55 AM
I Am the One Who Bans
Quote:
Vince Gilligan has confirmed that that's how he saw it, but since none of it was confirmed on the show you can take a different interpretation if you prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusblitz View Post
I think you missed the largest hint that Gus Fring is Someone Else - IIRC, there's a scene where Fring is talking with Mike, and Mike talks about how "if I can't find any record of you prior to 1989, no one else can" or something similar. Hank also mentions during his investigation of Fring that he can't find anything on him before he appears in 1989.
Right. Gus Fring is an identity he started using when he arrived in Mexico in 1989.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
"This particular line referred back to Vince [Gilligan's] idea that Gustavo had very deep ties to the Pinochet government, and somewhere around episode 4.03, Vince stared to explain to me some of the things that could happen in the fourth season. Gus was probably a guy who was a General at some point or a Lieutenant and had probably killed a lot of people or maybe was a hero in the army. I had all these thoughts that wed get a chance to find out more about that, and who knows, we still might." -- Giancarlo Esposito
I think that's reasonable. My view was that Gus had to have done something unpopular - a massacre or involvement with state torture or something like that - that would have made it urgent for him to leave Chile around the time Pinochet surrendered the presidency.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
It was, to me, heavily implied by the scene where Hector is pissing in the pool. He mocks Fring and Pal stating, "And these two? They like what they see" and makes kissy faces at them. Gus's partner talks about how Gus saved him from the slums and brought him up. So they're definately closer than just business partners.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is so interested in Gus's backstory. He's just a simple tailor.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Did he say "I know who you are" or "I know who you really are" There's a big difference there. "I know who you are" could simply mean that I'll remember your face going forward if you mess with me. "I know who you really are" implies that he's not killing him simply because he's a bigger player in the narcotics game then just some lowly cook and Don Eladio knows it.
He says, "The only reason why you are alive and he is not is because I know who you are. But understand, you are not in Chile anymore." Couldn't be anymore clear that he knows of Gus's murky (to us), well connected past.

My interpretation was that because of Gus' connections in South America, harming him would put the cartel's cocaine trade in jeopardy (during the flash back with Don Eladio we're reminded that when it comes to cocaine, the cartel act mostly as middlemen for the Colombian's).
Old 11-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlspace View Post
He says, "The only reason why you are alive and he is not is because I know who you are. But understand, you are not in Chile anymore." Couldn't be anymore clear that he knows of Gus's murky (to us), well connected past.

My interpretation was that because of Gus' connections in South America, harming him would put the cartel's cocaine trade in jeopardy (during the flash back with Don Eladio we're reminded that when it comes to cocaine, the cartel act mostly as middlemen for the Colombian's).
Ah! That's the missing piece for me! I never quite got why being part of the Pinochet regime would make him completely untouchable now. He must have had lots of connections still, but that didn't explain being able to walk up to a cartel hitman with his arms open and know he wouldn't get shot. It wasn't like anyone expected a bunch of Chileans to come after Heisenberg when Fring did go down, so it had to be something else.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:01 AM
I really want to thank you all for giving me so much to ponder...

If Gus was someone of significance in the Pinochet government, he must've been a "rising star". He would've had to have left Chile while still in his 20s. He spent some time in Mexico, then spent at least 20 years in New Mexico. He didn't look a day over 50 when we first met him.

Gus as a homosexual... That thought had not crossed my mind. Hector's comment while urinating into the swimming pool, I just put off as "locker room" talk. Also, the name of the restaurant chain, "Pollos Hermanos" means, "Chicken Brothers". I never saw a reason to doubt that they were literal brothers. Maybe they were half brothers, I thought, which is why their skin tones were so different. Another thought that came to me towards the start of the 4th season was that there really is no reason to assume there are only two brothers. I wondered if a third brother might appear - with an interesting agenda of his own. We know that Gus has children, because he mentions them to Walt during their dinner. Maybe he would best be described as bisexual - if you want to head down that road.

Also unexplained is how he managed to get TWO senior manager level people at Madrigal involved in his operation.

As you watch the series in the future, count how many times Hank's bosses try to get him to turn away from the Fring Investigation. Then, wonder if it's always because they are sincerely acting in what they believe to be the best interest of their agency and agent - or - if there's a different motivation.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Charter Member
Quote:

As you watch the series in the future, count how many times Hank's bosses try to get him to turn away from the Fring Investigation. Then, wonder if it's always because they are sincerely acting in what they believe to be the best interest of their agency and agent - or - if there's a different motivation.
That's nothing new. We went back and forth over the concept of a mole in the DEA quite a bit. I argued that someone (Merkert maybe?) may have been one. If you use Google to search the boards for Breaking Bad threads that have the word mole in them you'll come up with quite a few threads.
We were either wrong, they abandoned the storyline or there was a mole but it was never revealed to us.

Even if there wasn't a mole, Fring did donate a lot of money and time to the DEA so it's very possible they didn't want Hank investigating him and stopping the flow of money.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 AM
A mole in the DEA? I didn't follow any of the BB threads on here, but I don't think there is any support for that idea whatsoever beyond SDMB posters' feverish imaginations.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRogers View Post
A mole in the DEA? I didn't follow any of the BB threads on here, but I don't think there is any support for that idea whatsoever beyond SDMB posters' feverish imaginations.
And these 1.2 million Google hits for Breaking Bad DEA Mole

It's not just us. With how hard they tried to get Hank to let up not just on Fring but on the entire blue meth investigation, something seemed odd. They even attempted to transfer him (twice). Why wouldn't the Drug Enforcement Agency want to investigate one of the largest drug rings the South West has ever seen? The higher ups were perfectly happy to just leave it be like it was just a couple of stoners trading some dime bags of schwag*.

*In other news, I can't believe I remembered that word.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM
Leaving Fring's origins somewhat murky enhanced the character. He wasn't simply violent and vengeful in the stereotypical narco-terrorist mode, he showed ambition and rationality that made him more of a calculating evil person. More of the creativity and complexity in characters that made the show a stand out.

Last edited by TriPolar; 11-06-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Leaving Fring's origins somewhat murky enhanced the character. He wasn't simply violent and vengeful in the stereotypical narco-terrorist mode, he showed ambition and rationality that made him more of a calculating evil person. More of the creativity and complexity in characters that made the show a stand out.
Especially the way they gradually developed the back story for Hector and Gus. Some old cripple turns out to be a former crime (sub)boss. Gus is the bad guy sometimes and the good guy other times. The constant factor was that everything Gus did was to further his interests.

I, too, was wondering about his family. There was evidence of children at his home.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 PM
I assumed he was a close relative of Pinochet or of a major crime family; not a big shot himself (explaining his anonymity) but with EXTREMELY powerful close connections who would avenge his death but probably not the death of his slum kid partner (and if that partner was also his boyfriend it could be a reason a brilliant and capable member of the family is not in Chile).

His near obsession with his jacket and appearance might imply a military background, or just OCD. My most difficult suspension of disbelief moment of the entire series was that Gus would wear a clip on tie.

Last edited by Sampiro; 11-06-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Quote:

It's not just us. With how hard they tried to get Hank to let up not just on Fring but on the entire blue meth investigation, something seemed odd. They even attempted to transfer him (twice). Why wouldn't the Drug Enforcement Agency want to investigate one of the largest drug rings the South West has ever seen? The higher ups were perfectly happy to just leave it be like it was just a couple of stoners trading some dime bags of schwag*.

"9/11 conspiracy" returns about 27,600,000 results, but that doesn't make it plausible either.

Law Enforcement prioritizes investigations, and not every LEO is free to pursue whatever investigation he wants as he sees fit. Not permitting Hank to dedicate himself to a single type of meth is perfectly within the realm of reasonable resource management. Even if Hank worked for the Blue Meth Investigation Agency there would be no reason to believe that there was a mole because that's not how narrative works. If Gilligan & Co had intended for anyone to believe that a mole existed they would've placed at least a shred of evidence to support the idea in the show. Viewed as a matter of narrative, Hank was ordered off the case because it was necessary for him to work without the support of the DEA in order to hobble his investigation. Even in-universe the DEA's position wasn't unreasonable in the slightest. Granted, Hank's superiors were disinclined to suspect Fring because of their previous association with him, but when Hank can't present anything other than a hunch and a eventually few scraps of easily-dismissed "evidence" a mole really isn't required.

This is just the sort of left field theorycrafting that is entertaining in small doses but should never be taken seriously.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Quote:

They explained it on the show. Gus Fring donated a lot of money to DEA, and besides that he and Merkert were personal friends. There was no mole, Gus just cleverly placed himself as a friend to DEA and the people running it, ensuring that in the case anyone ever thought to accuse him, he'd have a sizeable buffer against investigation. Simple everyday politics.

As for why the Heisenberg investigation wasn't going anywhere, it's because there was nothing new to investigate. At some point you gotta cut your losses, focus on something else and maybe re-open the case when you actually got something.

Last edited by Reverse; 11-07-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro View Post
... My most difficult suspension of disbelief moment of the entire series was that Gus would wear a clip on tie.
Really? It made perfect sense to me. The clip-on was for when he was the law-abiding fry cook. When the time came to murder rivals, he put on a tie (and jacket) befitting a drug kingpin.

Last edited by F. U. Shakespeare; 11-07-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Charter Member
Giancarlo Esposito confirms the Pinochet connection in this video about the untold backstory of Gus Fring.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Wasn't it at least implied in the show? IIRC he only called him his 'partner' never his 'business partner'. Also, in this clip she said "Gus loves this man very very much". That's not something you often hear someone saying about a business partner or even a good friend.
Specifically, he used a Spanish word that was translated as partner (I think "companero"). Does that have the same ambiguity as the English word? I seem to remember reading on hitfix that Alan Sepinwall had asked Gilligan about it and Gilligan had said he hadn't specifically intended for them to be lovers, but liked that that interpretation was possible.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
They explained it on the show. Gus Fring donated a lot of money to DEA, and besides that he and Merkert were personal friends. There was no mole, Gus just cleverly placed himself as a friend to DEA and the people running it, ensuring that in the case anyone ever thought to accuse him, he'd have a sizeable buffer against investigation. Simple everyday politics.

As for why the Heisenberg investigation wasn't going anywhere, it's because there was nothing new to investigate. At some point you gotta cut your losses, focus on something else and maybe re-open the case when you actually got something.
Who explained it in the show?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 AM
The writers having a complete coherent backstory in mind certainly helps create more interesting fully fleshed characters but the fact that we feel there is one and yet are left with blanks for our imaginations to fill in is better yet.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
The writers did.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
The writers did.
Who said it?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Who said it?
Need everything spelled out for you, eh?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Charter Member
Nevermind, I really don't want to play games. Do you honestly think "The writers said it" is the answer I was looking for? I mean, you could answer that for pretty much any "who said that line in the show/movie?"

I was going somewhere with that, but I'll drop it since you don't seem to have much interest in it.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
What are you asking about? That Gus had friendly relations with the DEA was shown in the scene where he toured the office as a sponsor of the DEA fun run, and the photo of him and the old ASAC posing with the big cheque in the ASAC's office when Hank voices his suspicions. I don't think there's a scene that explicitly explains that that is the reason Gus is safe from DEA investigations and he doesn't need a mole. In favour of the mole theory, there is a scene (that I don't remember very well) where Mike reassures Gus that the DEA have nothing solid on him that implies Mike has inside information.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanganga View Post
What are you asking about? That Gus had friendly relations with the DEA was shown in the scene where he toured the office as a sponsor of the DEA fun run, and the photo of him and the old ASAC posing with the big cheque in the ASAC's office when Hank voices his suspicions. I don't think there's a scene that explicitly explains that that is the reason Gus is safe from DEA investigations and he doesn't need a mole. In favour of the mole theory, there is a scene (that I don't remember very well) where Mike reassures Gus that the DEA have nothing solid on him that implies Mike has inside information.
A)There's no reason why he can't donate money/time AND have a mole. It seems like that would be a good idea.
B)It wasn't just implied, at some point it all that was said out loud. My question is, who said it out loud? Who said "Gus treats the DEA really well so we should leave him alone." What is his motivation for saying that. Was he honestly concerned about the stream of money coming into the department or was he on Gus' payroll?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM
A) I agree - I think the mole theory's plausible because of the scene with Mike I mentioned, but I wasn't sure whether you were asking about it being explained that Gus was a good friend of the DEA(shown in those scenes I mentioned) or Gus being a good friend of the DEA was the sole reason he was safe from investigation until Hank became obsessed with chasing him (Which I don't think was explicitly stated, but is a conclusion people could have come to)
B) The closest I can remember is when Hank first relays his suspicions to the ASAC and the ASAC says something along the lines of "don't be silly, he's a respectable local businessman and a friend of law enforcement". The ASAC does call Gus in for questioning after that, but all the non-Hank people in the room (a lot of them, and from different departments) buy his story. Could his story have been good because he was tipped off? Possibly - he did seem to be caught unawares, but a man like Gus would likely be careful enough to pretend (but also careful enough to have an innocent story for suspicious occurences, like his relationship to a dead meth cook becoming known.)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanganga View Post
The closest I can remember is when Hank first relays his suspicions to the ASAC and the ASAC says something along the lines of "don't be silly, he's a respectable local businessman and a friend of law enforcement". The ASAC does call Gus in for questioning after that, but all the non-Hank people in the room (a lot of them, and from different departments) buy his story.
Yes, when they brought Gus in for some questions about his fingerprints in Gale's house, everyone but Hank seemed satisfied with Gus's explanations. I believe his supervisor stressed what a good friend to the DEA Gus was and it was farfetched to think he was a drug dealer. Hank still has his suspicions and won't let it go (and he's correct, of course).

Quote:
Could his story have been good because he was tipped off? Possibly - he did seem to be caught unawares, but a man like Gus would likely be careful enough to pretend (but also careful enough to have an innocent story for suspicious occurences, like his relationship to a dead meth cook becoming known.)
Gus is the type of guy that is prepared for almost everything. After he poisons the cartel members, he's taken to the triage he had set up--which is stocked with his own blood (I think it's his own, but definitely the same type) and the doctor even knows Jesse's blood type and drug test results--a little weed but no diseases. IIRC, the story about Gale's scholarship checked out.

Last edited by dasmoocher; 11-07-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:01 PM
I rewatched the relevant scenes. In Problem Dog (3.7), Hank presents his suspicions to Gomie and the ASAC, who both seem reluctant to believe him and stress the weakness of his evidence until the scene ends on Hank's fingerprint revalation. In Hermanos (3.8), Gus is interviewed by Hank, Gomie, the ASAC and Tim from the APD (I think the guy who brought Gale's murder to Hank in the first place). Gomie says he thinks he buys the story, the ASAC admits to bias as Gus is a good friend of the DEA and says he believes him, and Tim agrees that he thinks Gus is clean. Near the end of Hermanos is the conversation between Mike and Gus I was thinking about. Mike says he's done some digging around and neither the DEA or the APD consider Gus a person of interest - maybe he's got someone on the inside, maybe it's just that as an ex-cop he's got buddies who're willing to tell him the gossip on the big blue meth case and recent murder.

Also in Hermanos, Gus seems a lot more scared of the idea that Hank is looking into his past in Chile than anything else and in the flashback, Eladio calls Gus Max's "socio" when they're talking business, and when it's clear that Eladio is upset and he's implying he thinks Gus is expendable, Max pleads for Gus' life calling Gus his "companero" - do the different Spanish words have particular implications?