Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 AM
BANNED
Clorox safe for teeth Y/N?

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

OK, so against 90% of the advice found on the net, I decided to try using Clorox to whiten my teeth last night.

My teeth obtained a yellow tint, I suspect, about 10 yrs ago, when I had an ear infection, and told the MD that I recall being allergic to penicillin - so he gave me tetracycline instead. Little did I know, a side effect of tetra is it will yellow your teeth (I suspect from the inside). It did. Note: same doctor did advise me that most who were allergic to pen will outgrow that as an adult - but he did not warn me about that perm yellowing of teeth as a known side effect of tetra.
Dental cleanings, lots of off the shelf remedies, no luck. Other than that, teeth were movie star quality in form and shape. However, even after cleanings and daily floss, I always had an unpleasant odor when I forced air thru the very minor natural gap between the teeth.
I read on the net, that gargling with hydrogen peroxide would help, so I did this for several years. Marginal, at best. Read some more, and found out the max % of hydro perox you can is in an ear drop solution called ERO, much more concentrated than bottled hydro perox. Tried it, marginal results.
So last night, against 99% of the advice on the net, I got brave and decide to try Clorox. I based this on several reports of users having good results (that were quickly extinguished by doctors advising against it). Some of the doctors warn that using Clorox will damage soft tissue (gums, taste buds) and poison you if swallowed. Others claimed it would have no whitening effect.
What I did was to buy a pair of clear rubber teeth trays (upper and lower) and coat them with the ERO (high % of hyd perox), that pour Clorox over the ERO, letting the excess run off into sink. Then I installed the trays, and kept them in for 5-10 minutes. I held me head down over the sink, so any foam / runoff went into the sink, and not in my mouth. I immediately gargled after this.
I am telling right now, it worked. In one single application. So yes, Clorox with ERO will bleach your teeth white. And possibly due to my precaution of keeping it in the tray via the ERO (which has the consistency of honey), it did not burn by gums or taste buds, nor poison me. Another benefit - when I force air thru the tiny gaps in my teeth, it smells fresh and clean, even the next day - even after 2 meals.

I suspect I will get blasted here on SDMB for doing this, but weigh this against the fact that for the first time in over a decade, I feel great about having white teeth again, as well as fresh breath. My plan is to never try this again, via brushing 3 times a day ( I keep a folding toothbrush with me, that stores in its own case - and stays in my pocket with a days worth of paste in the plastic case) and use hyd perox to gargle with, as well as floss and Crest 3D system.

PS I have tried sweets, sours, and other foods - to verify I didn't erase my taste buds - all is well. Also, my teeth shine and are very smooth, so it seems no damage to enamel .

So did I just dance with the Devil and win? Everything I read states ingesting or even inhaling Clorox can make you ill, and/ or kill you.

PS if you google it, you will find Clorox made toothpaste 100 yrs ago

Last edited by cougar58; 11-30-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 AM
BANNED
PS _ i read that some dentists use bleach, or the primary active agent in it, to clean out decaying root tissue during a root canal.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar58 View Post
I suspect I will get blasted here on SDMB for doing this,
Yeah, you will. In fact I went ahead and reported the thread. My suggestion is that the mods don't just lock it but actually disappear the thread since you aren't really debating or asking about using bleach on your teeth but suggesting that people do it.

If you want it to hang around, I'd suggest you come up with some cites that prove that it's safe. I'd hate to think that people are going to start gargling Clorox because they think you did it (and we don't even know that you actually did what you said you did) and posted about it here.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:59 AM
You ever heard of a proof of concept!? If you're going to experiment on yourself, why not limit it to a single trial tooth, one just to the side of your smile?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Not safe. At all.

Your short term results tell us nothing about long term effects.

http://bt.cdc.gov/agent/chlorine/basics/facts.asp

Quote:
What the long-term health effects are

Long-term complications may occur after breathing in high concentrations of chlorine. Complications are more likely to be seen in people who develop severe health problems such as fluid in the lungs (pulmonary edema) following the initial exposure.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Charter Member
Too weird.

Also, I thought chlorine bleach actually causes white fabrics to yellow, which is why products such as Mrs. Stewart's Bluing were invented.

OP -- PLEASE don't brush your teeth or gargle with Mrs. Stewart's bluing!
Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Yeah, you will. In fact I went ahead and reported the thread. My suggestion is that the mods don't just lock it but actually disappear the thread since you aren't really debating or asking about using bleach on your teeth but suggesting that people do it.

Not true...No where I am suggesting others do it. In fact, at the very first line, in CAPS, I state " DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME"
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowjob2.0 View Post
Not safe. At all.

Your short term results tell us nothing about long term effects.

http://bt.cdc.gov/agent/chlorine/basics/facts.asp

That cite refers to chlorine, which is only a by-product if Clorox is mixed with other cleaning compounds, not in Clorox itself.

(Unless you can prove Hyd Peroxide is one of those)
Old 11-30-2013, 11:29 AM
Here's the MSDS sheet, indicating risk of severe irritation, breathing problems, etc.

Hydrogen peroxide isn't in Clorox, and isn't produced in a reaction, but mixing Clorox with water does produce chlorine ions. You have water in your mouth, and in your mucous membranes.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
This isn't really a debate. I'm going to zing this over to IMHO.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:53 AM
BANNED
Jonathan - fair enough.

I would suggest not deleting it, since it is a very common question on site like ASK and Wiki. My bet is many SDMB readers have considered it at some point.

And, i appreciate all of the responses that warn against it, with their reasons / cites.

I weighed my quality of life against the known risks, and took every precaution to not ingest, inhale, or make contact with soft tissue like taste buds (obviously there was inevitable contact at the gum line)....I also made a test by mixing Clorox with ERO Hyd perox to make sure no adverse reaction, like chlorine.
I had a hunch it would whiten my teeth, as i have used Clorox to whiten the white brick walls in my finished basement - where it had stains from mineral leaks via minor water leaks - it made them white.
I hadn't planned on the elimination of unpleasant odor in the gaps of my teeth.

I do not recommend this, yet I can't count the number of trips I have gone to check out the results in the mirror, and forced air thru my teeth ti smell the freshness. I even went out in the sunlight with a mirror.

PS background - I have tried off the shelf whitening strips - marginal as well. I suspect that is due to tetra induced yellowing.

never smoked.

And the biggest PS - my primary (or primal) driving factor, was that tonight I have a date with someone I have been dating since June (who happens to have incredibly white teeth and fresh breath). We have both hinted we may be ready to be more than "just friends". I have been masking this problem with Dentyne gum on dates, as well as not revealing my teeth as much as possible.

I now feel born again, and am I looking forward to tonight.

All the wrong reasons, I know...but that's what love / lust can do to otherwise rational ppl.

Last edited by cougar58; 11-30-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:02 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
Here's the MSDS sheet, indicating risk of severe irritation, breathing problems, etc.

Hydrogen peroxide isn't in Clorox, and isn't produced in a reaction, but mixing Clorox with water does produce chlorine ions. You have water in your mouth, and in your mucous membranes.
OK now thats a good cite / reply. I wasn't aware Clorox makes chlorine when mixed with H2O. I tested it offline with ERO hydro perox only.

However, don't most survival guides recommend treating questionable water with bleach to make it safe to drink?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
OK now thats a good cite / reply. I wasn't aware Clorox makes chlorine when mixed with H2O. I tested it offline with ERO hydro perox only.

However, don't most survival guides recommend treating questionable water with bleach to make it safe to drink?
Clorox makes chlorine when mixed with H2O? Clorox is mixed with H2O. It's a mixture of sodium hypochlorite, a dab of sodium hydroxide, and water. Mostly water in fact, 94% water. The sodium hydroxide is to keep the pH up enough to prevent chlorine gas from forming. If you added enough water to bring the pH back to neutral you might liberate some gas, but by the time you'd be pretty darn dilute.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM
BANNED
FYI - the E R O ear drop solution - I have yet to find it in any store (CVS Walgreen, etc). I read about it on some teeth whitening forums - due to it having about 3 times the perox that is in a bottle of Hyd Perox, and it is carbamide perox with anhydrous glycerin. It seems you can only buy it online.

And yes, it clearly warns against ingesting.

So again, do not try this at home
Old 11-30-2013, 01:07 PM
BANNED
FYI here is the ad from 1921 for Clorox Toothpaste

http://historybyzim.com/2013/06/...th-paste-1921/
Old 11-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Just because the Clorox brand name was on the toothpaste does't mean it contained chlorine bleach.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Quote:
The CDC says (PDF alert) 8 drops per gallon, then wait 30 minutes before drinking.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
Just because the Clorox brand name was on the toothpaste does't mean it contained chlorine bleach.
Or it doesn't mean it was safe or wise to use in that fashion. Lysol used to promote douching with their product in ads aimed at women worried about their "feminine hygiene" - though apparently that was also a very coded way of saying it could be used as contraceptive douching, too.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 11-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:28 PM
They may be white but I'm curious what it did to your enamel to get them white. Haven't you effectively just removed a massive amount of yellowed enamel? If that's the case your teeth may look pretty but the enamel which is critical to tooth integrity and protection is now compromised making your teeth weaker and eventually more prone to damage and cavities?

This says that clorox also removes moisture from the tooth structure making them more brittle. I've read enough horror stories on this board about the travails of people with "weak" teeth and the procedures they go through I can't imagine damaging them structurally simply for a cosmetic improvement. It sounds like that's what's you've done.

Last edited by astro; 11-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Charter Member
I have to wonder why anyone would think that putting bleach on their teeth was a good idea.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:49 PM
[B]Cougar58[/B] I'm a dentist and I can tell you absolutely that tetracycline turns teeth grey not yellow. Also it only happens when teeth are forming which is why we don't give it to pregnant ladies or kids. Once your teeth are formed (a teenager) it will no longer stain them. As a general rule yellowing comes from age. OTC bleaching strips work for most people but not everyone. Also some people take months not weeks to bleach. If the OTC doesn't work for you get bleaching trays and bleach from your dentist it is stronger.

Clorox is a liquid and will wash right out of a tray and therefore won't be in contact with the teeth for any length of time. This is why comercial dental bleach is a gel so it stays on the tooth. That aside, it is a bad idea to put clorox in your mouth in any large quantity. As you read, we put it in root canals to clean them because it destroys blood and soft tissue but we only use about a drop in the canal and then remove it. Long term affect of clorox on the soft tissue in your mouth is not good. The human body is pretty resiliant so you may not notice any adverse effects right away, e.g. one aplication.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Sith Mod
Quote:
I would suggest not deleting it, since it is a very common question on site like ASK and Wiki. My bet is many SDMB readers have considered it at some point.
I sincerely hope that the average SDMB poster learned at a young age not to put bleach in their mouth.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsat3acr View Post
That aside, it is a bad idea to put clorox in your mouth in any large quantity. As you read, we put it in root canals to clean them because it destroys blood and soft tissue but we only use about a drop in the canal and then remove it.
I clearly remember as a patient the characteristic smell of sodium hypochlorite(*) during a root canal 30 years ago. I thought to myself: metal drills and chlorine bleach? When the heck are the *&^% lasers coming online?

(*Clorox® being a trademark)

Also, IME bleaching through direct application of this product is hell on the useful lifespan of fabrics, I'd be hesitant about applying it to my person.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
I clearly remember as a patient the characteristic smell of sodium hypochlorite(*) during a root canal 30 years ago. I thought to myself: metal drills and chlorine bleach? When the heck are the *&^% lasers coming online?

(*Clorox® being a trademark)

Also, IME bleaching through direct application of this product is hell on the useful lifespan of fabrics, I'd be hesitant about applying it to my person.
yes Clorox is a brand, but it is the one I use. Also we dilute it 50/50 with water.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Quote:
You mean, "Hmm, my teeth are an unacceptable shade of yellow. Perhaps one of the caustic and astringent chemicals I use for cleaning my house will do the trick"? Yeah, I can honestly say, I've never thought that. I prefer healthy teeth to white teeth.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 AM
BANNED
Quote:
[B]Cougar58[/B] I'm a dentist and I can tell you absolutely that tetracycline turns teeth grey not yellow. Also it only happens when teeth are forming which is why we don't give it to pregnant ladies or kids. Once your teeth are formed (a teenager) it will no longer stain them. As a general rule yellowing comes from age. OTC bleaching strips work for most people but not everyone. Also some people take months not weeks to bleach. If the OTC doesn't work for you get bleaching trays and bleach from your dentist it is stronger.

Clorox is a liquid and will wash right out of a tray and therefore won't be in contact with the teeth for any length of time. This is why comercial dental bleach is a gel so it stays on the tooth. That aside, it is a bad idea to put clorox in your mouth in any large quantity. As you read, we put it in root canals to clean them because it destroys blood and soft tissue but we only use about a drop in the canal and then remove it. Long term affect of clorox on the soft tissue in your mouth is not good. The human body is pretty resiliant so you may not notice any adverse effects right away, e.g. one aplication.
If you google tetracycline teeth and yellow, you will find it discolors grey and yellow.

Correct about the Clorox being liquid and will wash out of the tray. That is why I applied it to the gel E R O in the tray.

24hrs and I am still OK, teeth are noticably white, and very, very shiny - as well as freshest breath ever. I agree with your note that if just a single use, no long term effects.

PS is dentists "bleach" really "bleach"?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:34 AM
Next up:

Sandblasting teeth!

Battery acid on teeth!

Spray paint teeth with high-gloss enamel paint! (White finger nail polish for those hard to back molars...)

Death ray lasers on teeth!

My guess is that ALL of the above will probably be frowned upon by dentists and most sane people.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:36 AM
Sith Mod
I brush my teeth with a Dremel tool.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
If you google tetracycline teeth and yellow, you will find it discolors grey and yellow.

Correct about the Clorox being liquid and will wash out of the tray. That is why I applied it to the gel E R O in the tray.

24hrs and I am still OK, teeth are noticably white, and very, very shiny - as well as freshest breath ever. I agree with your note that if just a single use, no long term effects.

PS is dentists "bleach" really "bleach"?
Sorry I was just going with my education and 27 years of experience v. Google.

Dental bleach is carbamide peroxide.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Charter Member
Bad plan. Clorox is for clothes, household cleaning and anuses. Yes, it stings like fire. But it's a small price to pay for a pooper as fair as an angel's wing.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 AM
I thought cannabis oil was best for this...
Old 12-01-2013, 11:53 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Sorry I was just going with my education and 27 years of experience v. Google.

Dental bleach is carbamide peroxide.
Carbamide peroxide is the primary agent in the E R O so it seems that was a contributing factor.

Ps. 36 hrs and still no adverse effects. I can never recall my teeth having this fine of a polished like surface finish, as well as the fresh breathing feeling thru the tiny gaps at the gum line. No noticeable increase in sensation to hit or cold drinks.

It would be interesting you you could do a series of tests on extracted molars.

Pps. Which toothpaste is it that claims to rebuild enamel? Maybe I should try it as a precaution.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm going to be totally blunt: WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU DO SUCH A COMPLETELY STUPID THING?!?! ARE YOU TRYING FOR A DARWIN AWARD?!?! GOOD GOD, MAN!!!

There, that feels better. But seriously, DO NOT PUT BLEACH IN YOUR MOUTH!!!! NO MATTER HOW YELLOW YOUR TEETH ARE!!! HAVE YOU BEEN SNIFFING RUBBER CEMENT??? WHAT'S NEXT -- DYE YOUR HAIR WITH MERCURY???

Mods, the above is meant to be humorous, not an insult.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:49 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
Bleach keeps you young, or so I've been told. Cuz no one who drinks it lives to get old.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Next up:

Sandblasting teeth!

Battery acid on teeth!

Spray paint teeth with high-gloss enamel paint! (White finger nail polish for those hard to back molars...)

Death ray lasers on teeth!

My guess is that ALL of the above will probably be frowned upon by dentists and most sane people.
You joke, but tooth paint has been around for a while.

Also, isn't sandblasting and attaching false fronts with laser-like heat/light-guns essentially what dentists are currently doing with bonding and veneers?
Old 12-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
You joke, but tooth paint has been around for a while.

Also, isn't sandblasting and attaching false fronts with laser-like heat/light-guns essentially what dentists are currently doing with bonding and veneers?
essentially yes. The UV light is what cures the cement holding the composite fill or the veneer on.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I'd be more worried about stinky stuff between your front teeth that is noticeable when you push air through there. Don't you floss?!?
Old 12-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
ARE YOU TRYING FOR A DARWIN AWARD?!?!
I had the exact same reaction.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Do not use concentrated bleach in your mouth.. You may burn yourself.. (death, loss of teeth..even cancer !)

You don't have to use peroxide so strong it bleaches in one go.

You can use it at a dilute form so that over a month the stains are faded.. and no risk of burning your gums so bad all your teeth fall out !

There used to be peroxide in the shops, but the burns and cancer risks stopped that,
you have to go to the dentist for whitening now.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry -- why couldn't you have your teeth professionally whitened again?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM
My concern, which I would like input on, is did you weaken your teeth in the process? Bleach is a powerful oxidizer, did you just make your teeth more porous? Did you just open up a bunch of tiny holes deep into the enamel? That would explain the 'deep cleaning' but it is a short term gain for weaker and more exposed to stained teeth?

Good luck
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Charter Member
This reminds me of people who use "black salve" to treat skin cancer on their nose. Sure, it takes care of the skin cancer (and your bleach took care of the stained teeth) but it also removes healthy tissues, sometimes to the point the person not only removes their skin cancer but also their nose, requiring reconstructive surgery.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Bleach mixed with hydrogen peroxide makes Chlorine gas, which can kill. This is pretty obviously a 4chan style thread that tried to make people try deadly things.

However, if you are being serious, you prolly have OCD considering how worried you are about your breath. Your mouth breeds bacteria, bacteria that stink. Nothing you can do about it long term.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDurden View Post
Bleach mixed with hydrogen peroxide makes Chlorine gas, which can kill. This is pretty obviously a 4chan style thread that tried to make people try deadly things.(snip)
Where did you learn chemistry? Sodium hypochlorite mixed with hydrogen peroxide makes oxygen, sodium chloride, and water.

NaClO + H2O2 → H2O + NaCl + O2↑
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Door View Post
Where did you learn chemistry? Sodium hypochlorite mixed with hydrogen peroxide makes oxygen, sodium chloride, and water.

NaClO + H2O2 → H2O + NaCl + O2↑
http://scienceforums.net/topic/3...ogen-peroxide/

There's a whole thread there about how other reactions including the release of Chlorine can occur. Also you have to consider the unknowns with the plastic trays, but this is an academic point.

I think we can all agree from just reading the label on household bleach that putting it undilluted into your mouth is not the right way to go. Right now Im wondering if the thread is here to get us to try doing this or sell ERO or what.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDurden View Post
Bleach mixed with hydrogen peroxide makes Chlorine gas, which can kill...
You're thinking of mixing bleach + ammonia.

Cite: I once used straight bleach to clean up what turned out to be a puddle of ferret pee. Never makin' that mistake again, I can assure you.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
What a bunch of pansies. Real men use carbon tetrachloride for their personal hygiene. Or perchloroethylene if the nanny state do gooders have made it too difficult to obtain carbon tet in your state.

Machine shops and dry cleaners have barrels of the stuff just laying around out back, waiting to be "properly disposed of". Bring a straw.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:33 PM
I drink a lot of tea and have what my dental hygienist called porous teeth. So with time I've noticed some yellowing.

The bleaching strips were maddening. They slipped and slid all around my mouth in spite of my following the instructions. And they didn't seem to make a difference.

Professional whitening seemed an extravagance.

Finally I tried swishing my mouth with diluted hydrogen peroxide a couple of times a day. Voila! Nice white teeth. And a pleasant side effect was an improvement in the heath of my gums. And it's nearly as inexpensive as water.

The minor adjustment to the slightly unpleasant taste of HP was insignificant in comparison to the benefits.

I'm curious, OP, if you recognize yourself taking other health risks as well. Doesn't sound like you care much about yourself.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM
When I looked up carbamide peroxide in a chemical reference book, it said "urea peroxide".

Yep, carbamide is a synonym for urea.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM
Next up: using a pressure washer and muriatic acid to clear up acne.
Closed Thread